Media Things You Would Consider "Peak Fiction"

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Everyone has opinions on what they enjoy and don't enjoy. This is news to no one at this point. With fictional media, there may be several different reasons a person thinks about something in such high or low regard. Every now and then, though, you'll find someone online who enjoys a fictional media piece so much that they'll be willing to die on the hill that whatever this is has no problems whatsoever.

Whether it be games, books, movies, shows, or anything in between, these are the examples we commonly refer to as peak fiction. The best of the best. The magnum opus. Upon exploring some of the various Cong threads as of late, I've had an opportunity to look at what people tend to enjoy in various mediums. Now, I'd like to propose the big question. What installments or series would you consider peak fiction?

I'll start with one of my own that I and many others love (not my artwork by the way):

1678162604534.png

Super Smash Bros. Brawl, released for the Nintendo Wii in 2008, was always one of the more... divided Smash games as far as people's opinions on it go. There tend to be two kinds of Smash fans: people who love it for the wide array of casual appeal and impressive amount of content for a Wii title, and people who hate this game because it's one of the worst Smash games for competitive play due to several perceived designed flaws. Hidden inside this game's offerings, though, lies an Adventure Mode- an Adventure Mode so good that even Brawl's nay-sayers can't help but love it.

Let me get something straight. There are very, very few things in this world that I would consider perfect. I can count them all on one hand, and I genuinely believe The Subspace Emissary is the closest the video game industry has ever gotten and likely ever will reach to straight-up perfection. The game mode itself is already popular for its gameplay and nostalgic impact, but it's the little things that The Subspace Emissary does that demand respect. Every stage in the game is meticulously designed, down to the tile. Stages with various characters play and feel like you're actually playing that character's games. The famous story cutscenes manage to do so much with so, so little, with almost no expositional dialogue during the entire process. When something goes wrong in this game, you can easily identify what went wrong and practice to get better. It may not have much in terms of a post-game, but it almost doesn't matter sense the game's 30+ stages have a surprising amount of replayability, since stages can be replayed after completion to find secrets you may have missed the first time through, with any character already unlocked. All of this is included inside of a streamlined package that captures the feel of the glory days of retro gaming while still feeling new and modern to incoming fans all at the same time.

With any other game mode in any other video game I can think of on practically any console, I can think of at least one slight negative about it if I think hard enough. This simply isn't the case for this game. The story with multiple fulfilling character arcs, the gameplay that remains even better than the base game, and a beautiful OST composed by some of Japan's best composers... I cannot think of a more fitting example of peak fiction.

The Sopranos
One Piece
Undertale
Infinity Train
American Psycho
Perfect Blue
Hereditary
Also, Berserk and the first 2/3rds of Beastars (last few dozens of chapters sucked sadly)

Honestly, Ratatouille is up there too. Seen as the shizo rat movie today, but one of the most charming and beautiful movies ever made in my opinion

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Honestly, Ratatouille is up there too. Seen as the shizo rat movie today, but one of the most charming and beautiful movies ever made in my opinion
Due to how bad my sensory issues used to be, I didn’t end up going to the movie theaters for the first time until I was four or five years old. Ratatouille was the first movie I ever saw in a theater, actually, but I had seen other movies beforehand at home. I love the whole message of the movie being about not just chasing your dreams, but also honing your craft in the process. The soundtrack isn’t my favorite Pixar OST ever, but I’d still say it’s one of the best. Finally, I find it really clever that Chef Skinner is called that as a reference to B.F. Skinner, who was a famous psychologist who worked with rats.

It's kind of hard for me to really answer this because a lot of my favorite media *does* have flaws. PMD2, for example, is one of my all-time favorite games and quite possibly my favorite game altogether from a storywriting perspective, but I wouldn't ever say it's perfect. Minor characters are generally lifeless and one-dimensional and the game suffers from a bit of dissonance in that it wants to approach heavy, existential subjects, but has to do so through a lens of euphemism and light-heartedness that is characteristic of all Pokemon games. Oh and it makes the cardinal sin of touching time travel.

One piece of media that I can think of off the top of my head that I would make no changes to is the movie Snowpiercer. It's a dark, grim, macabre story with an ambiguous ending that might not leave you feeling warm and fuzzy afterwards, but the pacing is perfect and the story it sets out to tell is told flawlessly. Some stories move you in positive ways, some move you by kicking you right in the gut. Sometimes the latter is more powerful than the former.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I read a lot of fiction once upon a time in my youth, but not so much since university, and almost none at all during the past decade (too little time and a diminishing attention span). I revisited some of my teenage favourites during my twenties and was broadly disappointed. Asimov's "The Last Question" is a rare piece that I remain fond of, and I often enjoy this video as background noise.

Generally speaking, I consider good satire to be "peak fiction", so I love shows like Blackadder (II, The Third, and Goes Forth) and The Thick of It, and movies like Dr Strangelove and The Death of Stalin.

I challenge anyone to show me a more poignant example of dramatic irony than in the finale of Blackadder Goes Forth; our heroes are about to go "over the top" and the British artillery pauses briefly for Captain Darling to naively/desperately proclaim "Thank God! We lived through it! The Great War, 1914 to 1917".

Last edited:
Modern Family. As far as sitcoms go it's pretty much mastered the formula.

The last of us 1/2. No game has managed to master storytelling to the point where it can translate 1-1 to a live action series and still be good.

The Simpsons, at least through the 90s, is probably the best animated series of all time.

King of the Hill is the closest anyone will ever come to animated perfection.

South Park jumped the shark at least a decade ago, but it's still an immortal pop culture icon.

Hey Arnold is one of the best kids shows of tye 90s. Nothing else in that demographic felt so "real".

Futurama is flawless. I cried at least 5+ times during the series run, which is impressive for a comedy.

Adventure Time revolutionized two decades of animation pretty much single handedly. I once cosplayed flame princess so I'm biased.

The MCU has plenty of flaws but it turned a niche comic market into the most profitable movie franchise in human history.

Avatar TLA and Korra were each basically flawless in their own ways.

Over the Garden Wall is potentially the best ~2 hours anyone can get.

That 70s show certainly shows its age but it's still one of the best pop culture sitcoms of all time.

Kick Ass 1/2 had no right to be as good as they were. They had the best superhero soundtracks ever and that is a hill I will die on.

In most fields, it's hard for me to just focus on one because there are so many amazing pieces of media that I have loved and still love over the years, but if I had to choose just one (so I don't type a literal paragraph for every piece of media I think is peak), I would choose Fallout New Vegas.

apps.56995.13869736752294987.ca050464-c72a-476d-941d-c1c814c4213d.jpg

(To give you an idea, over the years and across multiple devices, I've dumped over 4000 hours total into Fallout New Vegas)

To me, Fallout New Vegas (beyond the bugs and aged engine, which can be fixed with mods if you own a PC), fulfills needs that no other video game has even come close to being able to fulfill. The story is immaculate; the open-ended nature and near-limitless choice opportunities (this game held the world record for most recorded lines of dialogue in a video game for a while) mean that you'll get a different, fresh-feeling experience every time you play. The world truly REACTS to your choices, it's not just static nonsense like so many modern RPGs that I can even be bothered to name, it's a truly interconnected web of storylines, worldbuilding, ideologies, politics, choices, and so much more. You choose how to complete your quests, you can complete them at any time, and the world is completely open with essentially no limitations other than your own skill. Additionally, the writing is superb, the characters all feel like actual people with real motivations that you can develop actual emotional relationships with or against; you'll find yourself wanting to discuss and debate about the factions in the game such as the NCR (modeled after "old world" democratic values), the Followers of the Apocalypse (medical communes separated into individual chapters with the goal of aiding the sick and addled within the Mojave Wasteland), or Caeser's Legion (a fascist totalitarian dictatorship where the individual has no value, modeled after Ancient Rome), and many more.

This game helped me come to terms with my identity (LGBTQ+, Bi, and Genderfluid MtF), helped me confront some of my own traumatic experiences (I'll get to a small disclaimer after this paragraph), helped me be more communicative with people regarding how to talk about ideologies and emotions (I'm autistic, it's very difficult for me) and has been a driving force of inspiration both in my collegiate career (I'm in college for game development), and in my creative passions (influencing my writing and my music to this day). I cannot speak highly enough about this game and how wonderful it is - if you have a PC, the ultimate edition with all DLC is only 20 bucks on Steam (don't just buy the base game, Fallout New Vegas's DLC is literally DLC done right) and I highly recommend picking it up. The modding community is incredibly detailed and helpful, as they've made an easy-to-follow modding guide here for new players who want some of the aged mechanics/bug fixes to be brought up to modern specs. This game's story and world are one of a kind, and if I could recommend one single piece of media out of every piece of media that I've consumed over my (soon to be) 30 years of life, it would be Fallout New Vegas. Fallout New Vegas helped me grow into the person I am now, and I hope that some of you can have the same wonderful experiences with this game that I have over the years.

(A warning for those not prepared, this game deals with VERY dark subject matter in a mature, straightforward manner because it's an interactive sandbox world. Do not play if you are vulnerable to such themes, this game had to be modified to keep an M rating and it does not shy away from presenting these subjects, but it's never done in a forceful way, or in a way that presents a particular agenda. It simply presents situations in the way that the characters you interact with have experienced them, talked about them, etc.).

Last edited:
hol' on are we including books here?
The Inheritance Cycle - Wikipedia
hard pass. i have no doubt that the books get good, but eragon was SO tedious to get into. it goes into 5 paragraphs to describe a meadow. you want a really good dragon book series, may i present:
The Dragonet Prophecy (Wings of Fire #1) (1): Sutherland, Tui T.:  9781338883190: Amazon.com: Books

honestly, the 14th book is so good, its worth reading the full series just to get to it. if you arent satisfied with one dragon book series, may I also present:
How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, 1): Cowell, Cressida:  9780316085274: Amazon.com: Books

no, this isnt anything like the movie. it came first and was an inspiration, but not a direct copy. if you have a phobia of giant, fire breathing lizards, may i present something a little more upbeat:
A Series of Unfortunate Events #1: The Bad Beginning - Kindle edition by  Snicket, Lemony, Brett Helquist, Michael Kupperman. Children Kindle eBooks  @ Amazon.com.

lmao.

Last edited:
hard pass. i have no doubt that the books get good, but eragon was SO tedious to get into. it goes into 5 paragraphs to describe a meadow. you want a really good dragon book series, may i present:
View attachment 515252
honestly, the 14th book is so good, its worth reading the full series just to get to it. if you arent satisfied with one dragon book series, may I also present:
View attachment 515254
no, this isnt anything like the movie. it came first and was an inspiration, but not a direct copy. if you have a phobia of giant, fire breathing lizards, may i present something a little more upbeat:
View attachment 515255
lmao.
Unknownst to you, I've read all of the mentioned books here! Muahahahahaha~
  • Eragon: Paolini likes truly setting the scene; they get better and better as the books go on, I just finished re-reading Brisingr for the what, fourth time?
  • WoF: Read books 1-13, Darkstalker, and Dragonslayer. All are fantastic.
  • O-HTTYD: I haven't read the entire series; we couldn't get past book 5 in terms of obtaining the books, but they've been good. Toothless is a tiny menace.
  • SoUE: Both the show and books are great; though I haven't read/seen either in years. I need to.
this is gonna be a drastic change in genre, but I'd also like to offer:
Sweet Tooth (Vertigo) - Wikipedia
Sweet Tooth | Sweet Tooth Wiki | Fandom

• despite both being the same idea; both are drastically different and unique in a way that fits for both stories. The show ties in the key book elements in terms of lore almost seamlessly while trying to be its own thing. The book is more graphic but more deep in story; I'd definitely suggest both of them.
    • However; both get rather sad, the book even more so. I won't reveal anything else, but if you get squeamish at gore, then, uh, pass on this.

Last edited:
View attachment 515252
View attachment 515254
View attachment 515255
lmao.
The first two are must reads, the third is solid, but if you don't feel like buying it, there's a show on netflix that is about the same quality. the show spells everything out for you (the book made you figure it out, the main reason I enjoyed it), but is much more engaging. the first might be one of the best book series ever made. the second takes a while to really get into, but really comes together starting at about the ninth book. all three are better than harry potter. fight me.
for the full SoUE experience, read Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography. It's a chaotic mess in the best possible way. Not even the index is straightforward

Last edited:
Unknownst to you, I've read all of the mentioned books here! Muahahahahaha~
  • Eragon: Paolini likes truly setting the scene; they get better and better as the books go on, I just finished re-reading Brisingr for the what, fourth time?
  • WoF: Read books 1-13, Darkstalker, and Dragonslayer. All are fantastic.
  • O-HTTYD: I haven't read the entire series; we couldn't get past book 5 in terms of obtaining the books, but they've been good. Toothless is a tiny menace.
  • SoUE: Both the show and books are great; though I haven't read/seen either in years. I need to.
this is gonna be a drastic change in genre, but I'd also like to offer:
View attachment 515270View attachment 515271
  • despite both being the same idea; both are drastically different and unique in a way that fits for both stories. The show ties in the key book elements in terms of lore almost seamlessly while trying to be its own thing. The book is more graphic but more deep in story; I'd definitely suggest both of them.
    • However; both get rather sad, the book even more so. I won't reveal anything else, but if you get squeamish at gore, then, uh, pass on this.
Im not really one for gore, but I've heard great things about the show.

In terms of shows, I have one that I think not enough people have seen.
She-Ra and the Princesses of Power - Wikipedia

I'm dead serious.
Somehow, Dreamworks got the rights to a He-Man spinoff, and they proceeded to make one of the best children's shows ever. None of this is ironic, this is a show that shouldn't be as good as it is. Go watch it now. It's on Netflix. You'll thank me later. It has its flaws. There's like 3 of them, and one of them really isn't a flaw, so much of a thing I disliked. Trust me. Watch it. Watch it now. You won't regret it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)