Other Features Theory Uncover (Need better name)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This first article is analyzing the rivals of each generation, where I uncover the facts about all of them, and look at connections and theories of all of them. Obviously this is just an outline an I would need to do a lot more research about the specific run ins with the characters, and add in more subtle humor, so here I'm just listing points I would touch on.

Generation I

-Gary Oak
Here I would talk about how Gary is portrayed. Ever since R/B, he's been focused on being ahead of you. He chooses the starter better than yours just to be ahead, yet you crush him every time. I would expand upon the various meetings you have with him throughout the game, and how he treats you pretty badly. All these feelings of annoyance and hatred build up against him, that you push yourself to constantly improve to beat him, all until it comes to the elite 4, where there's a surprise champion. And guess what? It's Gary Oak (I could go into detail about his name "Gary Motherfuckin' Oak as well). The feeling of greatness of beating him to become the champion is incomparable, with all the rage that's built up in your adventure. I would also build upon his counterpart Blue in the manga, with similarities and differences.

Generation II
-Silver
Silver is another one of those "asshole" rivals, even when you first meet him snooping around the lab, he literally kicks you 3 tiles away from him, telling you to get lost. He then proceeds to steal a starter away from Professor Elm, and you're the only one who knows his name from a bump in with him. Ever since that, he forms a bit of a superiority complex, and always thinks he can crush you easily. Your run ins with him aren't always the greatest, but you soon find out he wants to crush Team Rocket as well. Here, we would delve deeper into theories, and see how the manga connects Giovanni as Silver's dad. Then you have the final meeting with Silver in victory road (as the only trainer, adding suspense and flavor), and once you beat him he reflects on what exactly he's doing wrong.

Generation III
-Brendan/May
Brendan and May don't have much plot going for them games wise, they are just the son/daughter of Professor Birch who fight you to help improve you as the journey continues. They don't even ever get the final form of their starter to show off. The manga is a different story however, their counterparts- Ruby and Sapphire, have an interesting love relationship going, as well as interesting personalities behind them. Ruby is a guy who loves contests, Sapphire is a girl who loves battling, and they absolutely hate each other for their interests. As you move forward though, they learn about their pasts as they are fighting Team Aqua/Magma, I plan to cover all of it.

-Wally
Wally soon takes over as the true rival of R/S/E, as Brendan/May go home to help the professor. You meet him right at the beginning, when he needs help catching a pokemon, and the first thing he finds is the ever rare ralts. Then you continue to meet him throughout your journey, finding out he's a sick boy who's parents don't want him to leave. He makes it all the way to victory road just fine however, and challenges you to show how strong he has become.

Generation IV

-Barry
Ah Barry, with his ever famous ability to fine you extraordinary amounts of money. (Following Platinums story) Right when both of you start off, he's eager to get a pokemon from Prof Rowan and charges headlong into a patch of grass without any pokemon. Rowan scolds him shortly after, and Barry shows some maturity asking for you to at least get one, and gives you both a pokemon. He likes to brag about how amazing his pokemon are, and he's so eager to start things off he forgets to even get a pokedex from Rowan. Nothing really gets him down, until his crushing defeat from Jupiter at lake Acuity. This defeat leads to a very mature change in him, which i plan to cover in detail. Then he assists you in beating Cyrus, and after the elite 4, you find out his father is head of the Battle Tower, finally showing Barry's true role model.

Generation V
-N
I'm not really sure if N is considered a "rival", but he battles you throughout the game, and has a really deep story to him, which I plan to cover in extent. Back when he was first found by Ghetsis living among the pokemon, to being crowned King of Team Plasma, to his meetings with you about how trainers treat pokemon, all to the final battle and finding out Ghetsis had his own plans, I plan to write a bunch for this one. I would need opinions though if I should save this for a later issue though since he isn't exactly a rival.

-Bianca/Cheren
If we decide to get rid of N, then I would split these two up. Bianca's father was overprotective and thinks she shouldn't go out into the cruel world, while Cherens main goal is to get stronger and to soon become the champion. After their travels though, they come to realize what it truly means to become strong.

-Hugh
This guys whole motivation is bent on the drive of getting his sisters Purrloin back. He's always ready to "UNLEASH HIS RAGE" upon Team Plasma for what they did to him 2 years back. He's a bit hyperactive, but is very passionate for pokemon battles.

Generation VI
-Calem/Serena/Shauna/Tierno/Trevor
All the gen 6 rivals are really straight foward and linear, with not much story behind them. I'll just name the points of interest for each of them and that'll be that.

I was planning on just making it one article, but after talking to people like antemortem and others actively involved with The Smog, they thought it would be a great idea to make this a series. Later issues would involve other aspects like evil teams, champions, etc. The reason I'm unsure on N is because of a later issue on evil teams. But yeah, I'm in the midst of writing 2 articles for The Player and I really enjoy writing for media, so I thought I'd expand my horizons to The Smog.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i believe joim did something on gary oak a while back, iirc? but otherwise everything else is cool as long as you like expand on everything you have written. also not all are exactly rivals, maybe something like... actually i'm not sure how to group 'em. Bummer you will likely have thoughts on how to group them better do share! companions? idk.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If all of the entries about the rivals will just be general background and summaries of the story mode, I don't see much point in writing this article as those interested reading it would know these things already. So if this gets approved, I'm going to expect somethin g more in-depth. Character development, preferences for their teams, how they compare to other rivals, and so forth.

Yeah I would definitely be adding a lot more in depth details to the article skylight and Bummer. Since this was just an outline I didn't feel the need to essentially overwrite. All the concepts Bummer stated are all things I plan to add in, as well as any other additions anyone else has when in WIP. I'm guessing with all the in depth portions I have to add I could break the rival analysises into sections. "Summary", "Character development", "Team preferences" etc. As for if all of these are rivals or not, yeah there are a few I would need clarification if I should add or not (ex: N or Trevor).

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Fair enough, approved. You should now have access to our workshop. Here's some general guidelines we give all new writers:

1) Get your stuff done on time. If there's ever a situation that comes up, talk with The Smog Staff, and we'll make accommodations. The key here is communication; we need to hear from you if something is up that will prevent you from meeting the deadline. Try to get your stuff done in two weeks if possible, in order to give the GP/HTML/art team time to get everything done.

2) Don't leak any of our stuff until the release happens. This includes art and any other information. If you ever want feedback on your work or have questions, you can join us in #thesmog on IRC (if you don't have IRC, you can PM me or another staffer on the forums and I'll give you a link).

If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask The Smog Staff. When you post your thread in the Article Workshop, you need to set labels for it. You'll need to set the issue's number too. For the tags that say WIP, Grammar, etc, those are the stages your article are in. Since you'll ideally be working on the article after posting your thread, mark it as WIP. When you finish, move it to Grammar and get it checked twice by other people. Afterward is the HTML stage and someone will put it into HTML code. Your article will eventually get art done for it and it'll be complete!
Welcome to the force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)