The World Cup of Pokémon 2020 - Round 1 (Tiebreaker - see post #380)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPACE FORCE meeps

LAW & ORDER!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
was curious about the length of gen 8 games watching this wcop since i noticed they tended to be longer than last year so i decided to check for myself!

out of 191 games played in round 1, the median game length was 58 turns and the average game length was 73.5 turns (71.3 excluding the 569 turn m dragon vs sjneider game). compared to last year's round 1 games, where the median game length was 45 turns and an average of 55.5 turns. there is a considerable gap in both median and mean game length, although i expected the difference to be larger in median (20-25 turns higher) length, likely because my perceptions were skewed since my team had a much higher median game length than other teams. median/means per team (sorted by median):

midwest - median 89, average 97.4
latin america - median 66, average 80.6
spain - median 65.5, average 98.3
germany - median 64, average 77.3
asia - median 63, average 64.4
brazil - median 62.5, aveage 73.3
oceania - median 62, average 68.1
europe - median 60.5, average 86.9
india - median 58.5, average 73.2
south - median 55, average 71.7
canada - median 50.5, average 55.9
italy - median 48, average 76.7
northeast - median 48, average 62.3
france - median 47, average 60.6
west - median 43, average 84.83
greece - median 43, average 49.8

other random stats:

41 (21.5%) of games were at least 100 turns in length, compared to 7 (7.2%) in last year's wcop in r1
every team participated in at least two games in games at least 100 turns in length; midwest had the most with 10
26 (13.6%) of games were 30 or fewer turns in length, compared to 19 (20.7%) in last year's wcop in r1

might try and check median/mean turn length associated with certain pokemon at some point if i get around to it.

Ace-11

Banned deucer.
Yup, Greece 100% playoff ratio without talah. Jokes aside, huge shoutouts to my teammates for making this year unforgettable regardless of the outcome in the playoffs, huge shoutouts to Will of Fire ,devinn and LittleBigPlanet2 for helping us af since the qualifiers and also big shoutout to Master GGFAN for his unstoppable moral support from start to finish. And for once more, but certainly not last time, GREECE MOTHERFUCKERSSSSS!!!
48m61k.gif

Last edited:

Century Express

melodies of life
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Alongside my old WCoP teammates, I'd like to give a massive shout-out to Askov / TheAprilFool / lyd as well, I couldn't ask for better teammates to help and fix some of my weird ass mistakes, I wouldn't improve in the current SS OU metagame without the help of these guys. I'm still a bit disappointed with my own performance (I got hella unlucky, but still, I messed up / made some sub-optimal plays in some key situations), but I guess it's part of the game.

Rooting for Empoor and Team Italy to win the tournament, see y'all next year

I always wanted to make a victory post that mattered.
I don't think that this does matter for everyone but it's really important to me to have my first playoffs with my dudes in team greece, therefore i want to make a big s/o to the people that my captain already gave the s/o's to and i really want to say that i have amazing teammates that give me the chance to prove myself and the resources to make that happen so i thank them deeply for that.

As for the tiebreaker games i want to say gg's to brazil.
Oh and a huge s/o to this spot on prediction from an anonymous source! GREECE MOTHERFUCKERS.
ZomboMeme_16072020004156.jpg

GOAO

Banned deucer.
On the topic of great World Cup moments, I picked a few unforgettable moments to share...

...like when gama chose to not click icicle spear, thus losing an easy game:

...or when AshKetchumGamer chose to not go Toxapex on the Cinderace, choking the easiest game of the year and arguing he didn't:

...or when our smogon tour winner and proud TD Get Backer refused to kill a Toxapex because he is too cool for it:

...or in the last tiebreak game, when brazilian manager gama timed out, crushing our dreams and hopes:

As you all know, the brazilian thought process is the best: it's ok to be terrible in this game as long as you can spam emotes and have fun at the end of the day. Sometimes you might even grab wins!

Hopefully next year we can take a look back at this year's achievements and INT even more, not making it to tiebreak at all!

On the topic of great World Cup moments, I picked a few unforgettable moments to share...

...like when gama chose to not click icicle spear, thus losing an easy game:

...or when AshKetchumGamer chose to not go Toxapex on the Cinderace, choking the easiest game of the year and arguing he didn't:

...or when our smogon tour winner and proud TD Get Backer refused to kill a Toxapex because he is too cool for it:

...or in the last tiebreak game, when brazilian manager gama timed out, crushing our dreams and hopes:

As you all know, the brazilian thought process is the best: it's ok to be terrible in this game as long as you can spam emotes and have fun at the end of the day. Sometimes you might even grab wins!

Hopefully next year we can take a look back at this year's achievements and INT even more, not making it to tiebreak at all!
These darn brazilians sure know how to make some unforgettable moments when their team is so close to playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)