The World Cup of Pokémon 2018 - Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I haven't read anything about that here in this forum and you're obviously saving user IP adresses:

With the upcoming GDPR and ePrivacy laws you will no longer be allowed to save IP adresses from EU residants for more than a couple weeks. What will that mean for WCoP, since you're heavily relying on IP adresses for determining wether a player is allowed to play for a specific team/region or not?

Hogg

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to question the validity of the tourban on undisputed because it makes no sense to me. Obviously lying about your IP by using a proxy is something that isn't good practice and obviously is worthy of a forum infract. However, tourbanning someone for actions that they MAY take in the future makes no sense. Undisputed had not signed up for wcop when inquiring about his IP while using a proxy or during his interactions with the TDs at all, so the tourban was definitely a bit premature. Punishing a user based on possible motivations is basically just going on a witch hunt after potential cheaters just because you don't want to have future incidents. Undisputed is a valuable member of the tournament community that has been contributing positively to the community for years with a crystal clean record, so I believe he should get the benefit of the doubt here considering that he likely would've played for west anyways and hadn't signed up for the tournament that he was allegedly cheating in. I think that had he signed up for the tournament in question with US South as his intended team, then this would be a different story, but the current circumstances surrounding this tourban are dubious at best.

Last edited:
I'd like to question the validity of the tourban on undisputed because it makes no sense to me. Obviously lying about your IP by using a proxy is something that isn't good practice and obviously is worthy of a forum infract because using a proxy is against forum rules iirc. However, tourbanning someone for actions that they MAY take in the future makes no sense. Undisputed had not signed up for wcop when inquiring about his IP while using a proxy or during his interactions with the TDs at all, so the tourban was definitely a bit premature. Punishing a user based on possible motivations is basically just going on a witch hunt after potential cheaters just because you don't want to have future incidents. Undisputed is a valuable member of the tournament community that has been contributing positively to the community for years with a crystal clean record, so I believe he should get the benefit of the doubt here considering that he likely would've played for west anyways and hadn't signed up for the tournament that he was allegedly cheating in. I think that had he signed up for the tournament in question with US South as his intended team, then this would be a different story, but the current circumstances surrounding this tourban are dubious at best.
delete

Wolf

formerly Bloody alfa
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
I'd like to question the validity of the tourban on undisputed because it makes no sense to me. Obviously lying about your IP by using a proxy is something that isn't good practice and obviously is worthy of a forum infract because using a proxy is against forum rules iirc. However, tourbanning someone for actions that they MAY take in the future makes no sense. Undisputed had not signed up for wcop when inquiring about his IP while using a proxy or during his interactions with the TDs at all, so the tourban was definitely a bit premature. Punishing a user based on possible motivations is basically just going on a witch hunt after potential cheaters just because you don't want to have future incidents. Undisputed is a valuable member of the tournament community that has been contributing positively to the community for years with a crystal clean record, so I believe he should get the benefit of the doubt here considering that he likely would've played for west anyways and hadn't signed up for the tournament that he was allegedly cheating in. I think that had he signed up for the tournament in question with US South as his intended team, then this would be a different story, but the current circumstances surrounding this tourban are dubious at best.
I don't know who is Undisputed, but i heavily agree with this.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
I'd like to question the validity of the tourban on undisputed because it makes no sense to me. Obviously lying about your IP by using a proxy is something that isn't good practice and obviously is worthy of a forum infract. However, tourbanning someone for actions that they MAY take in the future makes no sense. Undisputed had not signed up for wcop when inquiring about his IP while using a proxy or during his interactions with the TDs at all, so the tourban was definitely a bit premature. Punishing a user based on possible motivations is basically just going on a witch hunt after potential cheaters just because you don't want to have future incidents. Undisputed is a valuable member of the tournament community that has been contributing positively to the community for years with a crystal clean record, so I believe he should get the benefit of the doubt here considering that he likely would've played for west anyways and hadn't signed up for the tournament that he was allegedly cheating in. I think that had he signed up for the tournament in question with US South as his intended team, then this would be a different story, but the current circumstances surrounding this tourban are dubious at best.
"Undisputed spoke with Hogg about his potential eligibility for US South and mentioned he was moving to an [US South state]. Hogg explained at the time he wasn't eligible and that his future plans weren't enough to allow him play for South. undisputed tried different angles, but in the end he was told it would only be possible if he could establish residency in the aforementioned location before signing up and was explained how we checked IPs. "

>It's a known, stated fact that he intended to sign up for US South
>"Give him the benefit of the doubt, he would've played for West anyways"

What the fuck lmao

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Since I haven't read anything about that here in this forum and you're obviously saving user IP adresses:

With the upcoming GDPR and ePrivacy laws you will no longer be allowed to save IP adresses from EU residants for more than a couple weeks. What will that mean for WCoP, since you're heavil relying on IP adresses for determining wether a player is allowed to play for a specific team/region or not?
whats a EU

With the upcoming GDPR and ePrivacy laws you will no longer be allowed to save IP adresses from EU residants for more than a couple weeks.
Citation for the GDPR being this blanket in the way it is written? I’ve done some digging on GDPR and IP addresses look to not be considered Personal Identifiable Information unless stored in combination with names, addresses, and related things. An IP adddress on its own cannot be used to identify you specifically. We, a web provider, do not store names, addresses, and similar information. An ISP however does.

Citation for the GDPR being this blanket in the way it is written? I’ve done some digging on GDPR and IP addresses look to not be considered Personal Identifiable Information unless stored in combination with names, addresses, and related things. An IP adddress on its own cannot be used to identify you specifically. We, a web provider, do not store names, addresses, and similar information. An ISP however does.
IP adresses are considered Personal Identifiable Information, even when you don't save stuff like names or real adresses. That's the reason why we European board administrators have to deactivate the option to save the users's IP adresses permanently or to delete them after a few weeks (depends on wether the board software supports that/you want to create a cronjob to clear the according database tables), even when we don't save any other personal information except the obligatory email adress.

I'm not a lawyer tough, but I think shortening the IP adresses by truncating the last 16 bits isn't enough to keep them stored according to the GDPR and you also won't be able to locate users as you need for WCoP with just the first 16 bits.

Here's an English link to GPDR information for you: https://eugdprcompliant.com/personal-data/

Last edited:

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
"Undisputed spoke with Hogg about his potential eligibility for US South and mentioned he was moving to an [US South state]. Hogg explained at the time he wasn't eligible and that his future plans weren't enough to allow him play for South. undisputed tried different angles, but in the end he was told it would only be possible if he could establish residency in the aforementioned location before signing up and was explained how we checked IPs. "

>It's a known, stated fact that he intended to sign up for US South
>"Give him the benefit of the doubt, he would've played for West anyways"

What the fuck lmao
consideration and intent are two totally different things, hope you realize that. if he had intent he would have signed up with "other eligibility: us south", but did he? no

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
consideration and intent are two totally different things, hope you realize that. if he had intent he would have signed up with "other eligibility: us south", but did he? no
The decision post itself explains this in crystal clear words. "Undisputed fully intended to play for South". There was clear intent, you don't 'give the benefit of the doubt' when it's this obvious. I don't think you're going anywhere with trying to get this decision overturned, deal with it and don't cheat next time /shrug

Read my link. Even if your site is based in the US, you have to follow the GDPR when it comes to dealing with data from EU residants.
There's no way for anyone to tell you what will be done here until we know what action the site owner will take in response to the GDPR.

There's no real point in non-lawyers discussing this when it's honestly unclear what exactly are the potential liabilities for a site like smogon when it comes to the GDPR. In effect, it's a pretty unenforceable piece of legislation, not even EU-based sites are gonna be 100% compliant anytime soon, the chances of them coming after a site like this one is close to zero. It's mostly aimed at the bigger social media sites etc. Still probably not a risk you want to take, but in the end it's something we can only tackle once we know what chaos will do.

Marches

Banned deucer.
The decision post itself explains this in crystal clear words. "Undisputed fully intended to play for South". There was clear intent, you don't 'give the benefit of the doubt' when it's this obvious. I don't think you're going anywhere with trying to get this decision overturned, deal with it and don't cheat next time /shrug
He never outright said he intended to play for south and he never signed up for south so his intention is still unclear and I thought the td’s were against making assumptions and logic jumping I thought that was one of the reasons it took so long to ban style/bloo

He never outright said he intended to play for south and he never signed up for south so his intention is still unclear and I thought the td’s were against making assumptions and logic jumping I thought that was one of the reasons it took so long to ban style/bloo
Or maybe, juste MAYBE, the TD's know something you don't because they talked with him and other parties involved?
Could people stop assume they have unlimited knowledge even when it was explicitly told what was happening in a former post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)