The UU Viablity Rankings topic.

S-rank? Really dude? The reason I made those ranking criteria is so people wouldn't say stupid things like "Raticate 4 S-Tire". I do agree that they need to be on the list, but Swellow and Ursaring should not be higher than B and Raticate should not be higher than C.
I honestly think Swellow should atleast be A, if not S. It states "S Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support." Only a few things wall it (Rock/Steel) It needs no support to sweep, sure a rapid spinner, or wish would be helpful, but its not necessary. I use it on my OU team and it takes out atleast 2 pokemon everytime. Most of the time, only priority kills it.

to be fair, i've never used swellow myself, only played against it. I might not have played very good players then, because i find it ridiculously easy to wall. All my teams include something like regirock/rhyperior/aggron and it always gets worn down by residual damage. Having said, it IS the fastesr viable pokemon in the tier with great attack. It's just that it has pretty poor coverage IMO. I'd go for B tier, but i'm gonna try it out and see how it goes

to be fair, i've never used swellow myself, only played against it. I might not have played very good players then, because i find it ridiculously easy to wall. All my teams include something like regirock/rhyperior/aggron and it always gets worn down by residual damage. Having said, it IS the fastesr viable pokemon in the tier with great attack. It's just that it has pretty poor coverage IMO. I'd go for B tier, but i'm gonna try it out and see how it goes
When used correctly, Swellow is effective. Early game, U-turn your primary move, U-turning out of Rock Type switch-ins, to a Pokemon who can deal with them. Swellow can then sweep late game with its two 120+ Base Power STAB attacks. When used by n00bs however it is the easiest thing in the world to wall.

but u-turning in and out brings in so much additional residual damage. SR is the easiest hazard to set up, and unfortunately is the one swellow fears the most. Not to mention it can just be set up again if spun away, and you might not even be packing a spinner im the first place. Keep in mind i'm not saying swellow is bad, not at all, but i feel it doesn't fit in the A tier, and certainly not the S tier. It only really seems to work as an endgame cleaner. It's also vulnerable to priority, since a swellows quick attack didnt even kill my blaziken, who then killed it off with vacuum wave. I think B is where it should go, because, while powerful and fast, it's limited to what it can kill

When used correctly, Swellow is effective. Early game, U-turn your primary move, U-turning out of Rock Type switch-ins, to a Pokemon who can deal with them. Swellow can then sweep late game with its two 120+ Base Power STAB attacks. When used by n00bs however it is the easiest thing in the world to wall.
Isn't Facade the primary move? And you uturn on rock/steels to a counter?

Another thing that should be examined regarding Swellow is just how frail it is. Sure, eliminating steel and rock types on the opposing team can help set up a Swellow sweep, but Swellow can still easily be revenge killed by almost any choice scarfer (such as Hitmonlee) or powerful priority user (such as Spiritomb) that can take a quick attack. Countering and checking Swellow can be done rather easily, and a pokemon that is so frail should not be considered an A class threat in a tier occupied by so many powerful priority attacks imo. It seems like some players have the mentality that if Swellow's counters are eliminated, it can clean sweep, and this is simply not the case against most teams.

Best way to use Swellow IMO is to try to lure out and kill any steels/rocks your opponent has, after that it's free beer unless they're running some pretty bulky pokes. I'd support moving it to S if it was traded for Uxie, who I don't find to be all that great.

As for Sharpedo, it belongs in C or B. Really depends on whether or not you'd consider the fact that it lasts about as long as the average villain on 24 to be crippling or not. I suppose if Absol can get into B, then Sharpedo deserves B status.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Best way to use Swellow IMO is to try to lure out and kill any steels/rocks your opponent has, after that it's free beer unless they're running some pretty bulky pokes. I'd support moving it to S if it was traded for Uxie, who I don't find to be all that great.

As for Sharpedo, it belongs in C or B. Really depends on whether or not you'd consider the fact that it lasts about as long as the average villain on 24 to be crippling or not. I suppose if Absol can get into B, then Sharpedo deserves B status.
LOL. Even then, I'm a bit iffy on where it should be. B on the account that it can really hurt the metagame and is quite fast. But it's fraility holds it back badly.

eh, at least with absol's frailness... if it sets up things die.

Sharpedo, on the other hand, doesn't have access to SD. So its only going ot hit and run, it ain't sweeping any decent team. I still think its C at best... some of you guys are being way too nice to inferior pokes because you like them or they have a niche. like cradily and jynx as B? on the same level as very useful things such as rotom and omnastar, houndoom, and mespirit? Give me a break.

Just because they are unique doesn't make them good. I mean, fi you build a team and forget about houndoom it will destroy you. Same with toxicroak. If you build a team and forget abotu jynx... not the same effect. Same with cradily and these other cool, but not B rank pokes.

eh, at least with absol's frailness... if it sets up things die.

Sharpedo, on the other hand, doesn't have access to SD. So its only going ot hit and run, it ain't sweeping any decent team. I still think its C at best... some of you guys are being way too nice to inferior pokes because you like them or they have a niche. like cradily and jynx as B? on the same level as very useful things such as rotom and omnastar, houndoom, and mespirit? Give me a break.

Just because they are unique doesn't make them good. I mean, fi you build a team and forget about houndoom it will destroy you. Same with toxicroak. If you build a team and forget abotu jynx... not the same effect. Same with cradily and these other cool, but not B rank pokes.
I don't think you've faced any decent user of Jynx, because many standard teams are actually weak against it. And there's a reason why so many teams have trouble with Cradily in Sandstorm; because it's good.

Best way to use Swellow IMO is to try to lure out and kill any steels/rocks your opponent has, after that it's free beer unless they're running some pretty bulky pokes.
See, it's this exact false mentality that makes Swellow overrated. Swellow is much to fragile to be considered a win condition every time the rocks and steels on the opponents team are eliminated.

I don't think you've faced any decent user of Jynx, because many standard teams are actually weak against it. And there's a reason why so many teams have trouble with Cradily in Sandstorm; because it's good.

so good = worthy of a place next to Toxicroak, Houndoom, Mesprit, ect?

If so many standard teams were weak to it its usage would have shot up ala torterra when peopl realized what it did to teams in recent metas.

I am not saying they aren't "good..." which is such a subjective term it really means nothing. I am saying they are no where near the threats and have no where near the use of some of those pokes also put in the B tier.

so good = worthy of a place next to Toxicroak, Houndoom, Mesprit, ect?

If so many standard teams were weak to it its usage would have shot up ala torterra when peopl realized what it did to teams in recent metas.

I am not saying they aren't "good..." which is such a subjective term it really means nothing. I am saying they are no where near the threats and have no where near the use of some of those pokes also put in the B tier.
Yes, actually. Just cause something is good doesn't mean it's going to be used. Houndoom and Toxicroak are used more than something like Jynx because, let's be honest, they take much less skill to use.

And it's because Jynx's analysis is so outdated and that no one ever mentions it that it remains a forgotten threat (its analysis doesn't even mention that it gets Nasty Plot now).

And I don't get how you consider Jynx lesser than some one-dimensional B pokes like Blastoise, Slowbro, Slowking, Chansey, and Azumarill.

DBCB

You truely are underestimating Jynx which only makes it an even greater threat tbh. You should battle Thund or Blitz using Jynx and you will see just how destructive it can be. Sadly I have been swept by that Jynx more times then I have then any other pokemon. I mean Houndoom and Toxicroak have nothing on Jynx as Jynx not only has the power but to beat it you must be one hell of predicter while the whole time the Jynx users has the back up plan of Lovely Kiss. Furthermore what counters Jynx does have are exceptionally easy to bring out and and wear down. This is due to her counters being common walls like Milotic and Registeel who must wall a significant portion of the metagame and as such can be lured in and weakened quite easily. In short Jynx is an amazing pokemon and your naiveness to her will be your own downfall. B Rank definately suits her.

I agree; face a competent user of Jynx and then say something. I have never been swept by one, but I know the damage it can do. While I haven't seen Thund use on outside of the lead position, I have seen Flare use the Luna set and it is quite devastating when given the opportunity.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
houndoom needs to go up to b at least. if you put swellow there, put houndoom there. also mismagius is also one of the top 3 threats in the metagame. s class.

edit: upon reading this i find that it is a total joke
edit2: upon reading this 99% of posts are a total joke and i cannot take the list itself seriously!

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
houndoom needs to go up to b at least. if you put swellow there, put houndoom there. also mismagius is also one of the top 3 threats in the metagame. a class.
Of course.

Speaking of B tier it's getting awfully crowded. Anyone want to help me split this apart?
And you do mean S tier for Mismagius? (already in A)

edit: upon reading this i find that it is a total joke
edit2: upon reading this 99% of posts are a total joke and i cannot take the list itself seriously!
(sweats) it's in no particular order.

Shouldn't a Pokemon's placement on the list be based off of it's ability to play? How can we assume Spikes will always be on the field? If it absolutely needs Spikes for it's placement, then maybe its not as good as the initial suggestion? Although, Swellow is still a badass if memory serves correctly, but it's been a while for me soo

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hariyama is missing from the list. Possible B rank as it can run through most teams with its Toxic Orb activation set. Close Combat 2HKOs even the most bulkiest of Tangrowth, which is pretty much the best you can get. It is also versatile; can run a good tank set for either side of the spectrum, providing good support with Force Palm and Whirlwind.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
As someone who has used Swellow all this round, I'd say Spiritomb is much more of a scary counter than any rock/steel type. Switching out can kill it with a pursuit and u-turning/brave birding out can cause a Sucker Punch to kill it. And Spiritomb is most definitely a top 10 pokemon this round.

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Drapion -> C, as Poison is bad STAB, it doesn't do incredible damage off the bat, and isn't hard to kill.

Cradily -> C, kind of limited, but good in sandstorm.

Blastoise -> C, because Surf is not very powerful to hit Ghosts with, no recovery hurts, no Intimidate of Top hurts, and Blastoise doesn't have good coverage.

Illumise -> D, it's "simply not good in the current metagame"

I think that Drapion should be in the B rank because of it's good attack, relatively fast speed, (it can outspeed many top UU threats such as Venusaur, Milotic, Moltres, and Mespirit and ties with Uxie, Houndoom and Arcanine the last two it can seriously threaten) and great natural bulk.

Poison may be one of the worst STABs available to a Pokemon, but Dark is an amazing STAB in today's metagame. It can run Swords Dance, a Choiced set, a viable Pursuit Trapping set, and Physically Defensive sets . It has only 1 weakness, absorbs Toxic Spikes, and is the fastest Toxic Spiker in UU. It's Special Defense and HP may be sub par, but it can still take a hit and retaliate with deadly results against the plethora of frail sweepers that have dominated UU recently. It has two particularly helpful abilities, if not situational, to take advantage of whether being defensive or offensive. Sniper, combined with the many high critical hit ratio moves that Drapion learns and a Scope Lens will send many Pokemon to their E rated deaths. Battle Armor allows Drapion to wall many Physical threats without the fear of death by hax.

Drapion may not seem to excel in just one aspect of of UU, but it's ability to do well in many seems to me that it should at least be a low B in versatility.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)