The UU Viability Ranking Thread

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
Let me just start this post by saying I think Sharpedo should be A-rank and not S-rank. I'm saying this now because a lot of the things I'm about to quote are just flat-out wrong, and I don't want to be misunderstood as arguing Sharpedo for S-rank. (Because I"M not.)

so basically sharpedo is completely incapable of taking on almost any water types in the tier? It cant even 2 hit the better water types, so even with perfect prediction, a shitty predication on an S-rank anyways, it's going to take scalds against standard pokemon. How is it S-rank then. I mean suicune, and blastoise are the the two biggest ones but what does sharpedo do against alomomola, or bulkier grass types like shaymin, or virizion? A waterfall, followed by a crunch is not going to KO any slowbro, yet thunder wave is carried by most slowbro, and scald does ~35%, meaning your speed is neutered, and the 3hko involved in killing slowbro, a pokemon with a weakness to your best STAB means youre losing 65% of your health.
Sharpedo is perfectly capable of taking on bulky water-types, it just needs them weakened first, which isn't really that hard since none of the common ones except for Slowbro and Milotic have any kind of reliable recovery, and Slowbro is weak to crunch (and Dark Pulse!!!) anyways. Why you're even bringing alomomola into this is beyond me, that pokemon is NU for a reason. Not because it's bad, but because you never ever see it used. Also, 252 Life Orb Adamant Sharpedo's Crunch 2HKO's Offensive Shaymin WITHOUT any hazard support at all 100% of the time. So you really just need to hit it for 50% damage with literally any other pokemon on your team, and your Sharpedo is golden.

As for Virizion, congrats, you found ONE pokemon in the tier that is a hard-counter to Sharpedo. If you're running the Physical set, and not the Special Set, which BTW, is completely viable, because with a moveset of Hydro Pump/Dark Pulse/Ice Beam, you basically wreck all of sharpedo's normal checks and counters (Zapdos, Bronzong, Shaymin, Hitmontop, Virizion, Slowbro at higher HP, and Gligar above 50%)

Also, I don't see why anybody would keep their sharpedo in after Waterfalling a Slowbro unless you could KO. That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Nobody even remotely competent is going to leave their Sharpedo in to eat a potential Scald/Twave/Grass Knot. That's like saying Togekiss shouldn't be S-ranked because when it's at +2 it can't OHKO Zapdos. Nobody who knows what they're doing is going to leave it in, so it's completely irrelevant.

I cant stress enough that sharpedo is forced into protect first turn all too much. So, many things like snorlax who can be 2hko'd arent in the same kind of danger that fighting against something that doesnt require protect does. Because sharpedo is incapable of switching into many attacks, and because sharpedo isnt all tha fast before a boost, and because sharpedo has such weak defenses, switching in is challenging, and coming in after a KO doesnt confer a speed boost, not protecting on the first turn can mean instant death, so it requires excellent prediction, something that is not a merit, or it faces death. Due to this protect dilemma, sharpedo is fails to bust through counters more often than it shoud, and many 2hko calculations are not as impressive as they ought to be.
I fail to see how "wasting" a turn on Protect is any different than "wasting" a turn on Nasty Plot or on Dragon Dance. Cofagrigus is A-rank and it needs not just one, but TWO turns to set up, but I don't see anybody taking shots at that pokemon. Also I'd like to point out that there are SEVERAL times you really don't need to drop a turn on protect. If you can get Sharpedo in against a non-scarfed Chandelure, a Rhyperior, a Nidoqueen, or anything at all that's slower, you can just start doing work. Whether it's through sacrificing or through U-turn/Baton Pass, there's several ways to get Sharpedo in without "wasting" a turn.

ANYWAYS

I believe Sharpedo should be A-ranked for a few reasons. First of all, while a lot of its "counters" can be worn down via hazards or repeated attacks, Sharpedo needs them to be weakened or it loses. Period. It's not like say, Zapdos, which can still do plenty of work even if its counters are alive. You can wear things like Snorlax down, you can phaze stuff, you can SubRoost on stuff, etc. Another example would be Snorlax. Just because your opponent has a Rhyperior or a Cobalion alive doesn't mean Snorlax can't function. Snorlax can still fulfill its roll of being a special tank (that shits on chandelure) that provides an offensive presence. Sharpedo, on the other hand, can't properly fulfill its role (cleaning/sweeping) if its counters aren't weakened enough. It can still pick off a pokemon here and there, sure, but until its counters are in KO range, it's not doing its job.

Secondly, Sharpedo's paper-thin defenses make it weak to all forms of priority in UU. Espeed Arcanine does a MINIMUM of 80%, Ambipom, although it's bad, is still present with Fake Out, Honchkrow and Bisharp both do enough to cripple Sharpedo with Sucker Punch (which isn't /that/ unreliable considering the only thing Sharpedo can do to avoid getting hit is spamming Protect), Azumarill does a bare minimum of 43% with Aqua Jet (and isn't OHKO'd by Crunch).

I'd also like to point out that anything in the tier with Intimidate, even if you're only sacrificing it, will still indirectly force Sharpedo out because it has no way to raise its attack. Qwilfish, Hitmontop, CB Scrafty, and even Arcanine can all force Sharpedo out and hinder its sweep in this way. There are also Several Choice Scarfers in the tier (Raikou, Mienshao, Flygon, Victini, Jolly Darmanitan, Timid Meloetta, and Timid Rotom-H) that will all outspeed Sharpedo even after a Speed Boost, forcing it (if played properly) to rely on getting a Double Protect.

All in all, Sharpedo is a VERY threatening sweeper since most, if not all of its counters can be worn down sufficiently enough to be KO'd, but I think Sharpedo needs too much support for it to be S-rank. A-rank is perfect for it, IMO.

Last edited:
so basically sharpedo is completely incapable of taking on almost any water types in the tier? It cant even 2 hit the better water types, so even with perfect prediction, a shitty predication on an S-rank anyways, it's going to take scalds against standard pokemon. How is it S-rank then. I mean suicune, and blastoise are the the two biggest ones but what does sharpedo do against alomomola, or bulkier grass types like shaymin, or virizion? A waterfall, followed by a crunch is not going to KO any slowbro, yet thunder wave is carried by most slowbro, and scald does ~35%, meaning your speed is neutered, and the 3hko involved in killing slowbro, a pokemon with a weakness to your best STAB means youre losing 65% of your health.

I cant stress enough that sharpedo is forced into protect first turn all too much. So, many things like snorlax who can be 2hko'd arent in the same kind of danger that fighting against something that doesnt require protect does. Because sharpedo is incapable of switching into many attacks, and because sharpedo isnt all tha fast before a boost, and because sharpedo has such weak defenses, switching in is challenging, and coming in after a KO doesnt confer a speed boost, not protecting on the first turn can mean instant death, so it requires excellent prediction, something that is not a merit, or it faces death. Due to this protect dilemma, sharpedo is fails to bust through counters more often than it shoud, and many 2hko calculations are not as impressive as they ought to be.

Scker punch life orb honchkrow is not hte strongest priority mvoe in UU, extremespeed arcanine is, against sharpedo. An offensive arcanine does 80-94%, a potential KO after SR, and a near certain instant life orb suicude. Hell, ambipom's fake out does 77-90%, meaning quick life orb suicide even with no hazards.

another point is that porygon 2 walls sharpedo flat, with 252hp/0def modest sharpedo can not hope for a 2hko with stealth rocks, and is easily KO'd by discharge.

I dont think sharpedo has the capacity to deal with a large portion of the tier. Again, many attackers with solid bulk, such as cobalion, such as zapdos, such as shaymin, such as scarfty, such as heracross, etc even with hazards can come in and revenge/threaten out sharpedo after sharpedo has made a kill, or if sharpedo has had to go for a protect on the switch. Sharpedo can not make a clean sweep against a team that isnt nearly dead, and sharpedo can be walled flat, and sharpedo has the protect dilemma to deal with.

It looks like Sharpedo isn't going to be S ranked getting the resistance I'm getting but I'm at least going to respond to this.

1) If you really want to keep Sharpedo in against bulky water types then it does beat Slowbro, Blastoise, and Empoleon if they don't get the burn. Shaymin gets 2 hit and Virizion can only come in, take a hit and force Sharp out once. Alomomola is NU sir and sees only .4% usage. Thus it's on every one in 250 teams encountered and should not be considered when discussing UU viability.

2) I said it before and I'll say it again, sharpedo shouldn't need to always rely on protect, though it does have limited opportunity to come in, but once it does it can generally do more that any other poke in UU.

3) Sucker punch Honchkrow is undeniably the strongest priority in UU (tied w/ life orb Bisharp if that's still a thing). I didn't say strongest relative to Sharpedo.

4) Sharpedo is immune to fake out since it's beaten by protect so your Ambipom calc is irrelevant to this discussion. Porygon2, although it is a potential counter to sharp, also gets worn down very easily as it's essentially crippled by status, doesn't have lefties recovery and isn't immune to any hazard form. It should almost be assumed that P2 won't be at full health.

5) Everything you mentioned gets 2HKO'd or OHKO'd with rocks up.

6) Sharpedo's late game niche is one that is fairly unique and complex. Thus, it does not make sense to match it up against full health pokes, especially offensive ones w/o recovery.

7) Sharpedo pretty much man handles the entire offensive UU metagame bar Virizion. If that isn't dealing well against a large portion of the tier then idk what it.

8) Sharpedo is ridiculously hard to revenge kill for a couple reasons. First, it can scout for potential priority w/ protect. Second, like I said it resists or is immune to almost all UU priority. Third, once Sharpedo gets a kill and uses protect it's speed is higher than scarfed Raikou so there is no outspeeding it. Lastly, although this doesn't really help stopping revenge killing per say, any choice locked pokes get screwed when trying to revenge Sharp because, since protect reveals what they've chosen to lock themselves into, the opponent is put in a tricky situation where if they pull a double predicting a wall (that can take the revealed hit) to come in, they risk Sharpedo staying in and potentially netting another KO.

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Im arguing on the pretense that sharpedo is a late game sweeper. Sharpedo is very challenging to switch in with, and can be forced out by many pokemon, thus its argued that sharpedo's late game deadliness is where its merits lie. However, all the points im making are trying to purport that it doesnt have the strength to be S-rank. Shaymin does not switch in, but is fully capable of stopping a sharpedo sweep, so is slowbro, so are many others, thats the point im trying to make. If youre requiring a very, very damaged team to excecute a sweep, then sharpedo is not S rank. It doesnt have the power to break through walls greatly debilitated by its need to protect, it doesnt have the typing or defensive stats to make switch ins, and can forced out without much trouble and it doesnt have the raw power to make a late game sweep without heavy support.

OH, I mention alomomola only because I've been using it I guess. It's real hard to break.

Why was Victini moved down from S-Rank with no prior discussion on doing so? It's only major flaw is how weak it is to hazards. It's still powerful and impossible to predict. Absolute joke that it's not S-Rank, it's one of the best pokemon in the tier and has no true hard counters

Why was Victini moved down from S-Rank with no prior discussion on doing so? It's only major flaw is how weak it is to hazards. It's still powerful and impossible to predict. Absolute joke that it's not S-Rank, it's one of the best pokemon in the tier and has no true hard counters
I agree. Victini has the best offensive movepool in the tier, hands down, the speed to make it work and the unpredictability to top it off. I suppose you could say it's stealth rock weak and requires "support" because of that but so do togekiss and zapdos with the same logic. Victini certainly deals with a large portion of the metagame very well (greater portion than anything else in S rank) so IMO it should've stayed S rank.

While I'm here, can we please move claydol up from Koko rank? It resists stone edge and close combat/hjk, is immune to earthquake, can set up rocks, can spin (only thing in tier which can do both), has great defenses, destroys lives with a trick scarf set, catches shit off guard with specs, works great on hail teams, counters the shit out of raikou, has a nice movepool w/ dual screens/magic coat, and takes absolutely nothing from the hazards it's supposed to spin so it doesn't get worn down very easily, you pretty much have to attack it. The only reason it's D rank in the first place is because of a hatewagoning streak that seems to have died down. You could make the argument that it isn't a good spinner because ghost types fuck it up but it has a 37.5% chance to ohko the chandy switch in if rocks are up and can take a shadow ball. Also, saying it's a "bad spinner" is irrelevant because just look at its competition. If fucking Ambipom gets moved up, then there's no way in hell claydol shouldn't be moved up too.

The only reason it's D rank in the first place is because of a hatewagoning streak that seems to have died down. If fucking Ambipom gets moved up, then there's no way in hell claydol shouldn't be moved up too.
lolno

Recovery, offensive presence, liability on defensive teams and complete shit on offense.

Which of these is true for Claydol?

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, sorry to distract from all of the Claydol discussion, but I was looking through the list and noticed that a really good mon, that makes a whole playstyle in UU viable is missing from the list. Gorebyss the pretty pink face of smash pass definitely deserves a place on the viability rankings (probably C but I could honestly I could see B rank as well). I have been using gorebyss on a smash pass team to get reqs for the current ladder, and it is really good, as very few people prepare for smash pass in UU, and a +2/+2 Nidoking just destroys the tier (I also have Sub pass Mienshao and Honchkrow as recipients). Gorebyss is just really good in UU, there is a reason smash pass is banned in RU and NU.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd support Gorebyss being added to the list here because although it has only one niche, SmashPass is a pretty good niche to have. It can easily pass the boosts to a deadly Pokemon such as Nidoking or Chandelure and proceed to destroy opposing teams. It's pretty one dimensional but it does its job pretty decently, it definitely deserves a rank imo.

And btw after some though Claydol could probably be C worthy because it can condense some nice qualities into one Pokemon such as setting up Rocks, spinning, and checking Fighting/Electric-types to some degree. It's okay on bulky offense to do these roles, its defensive typing gives it a hell load of weaknesses but it has some nice resistances. It's not great but it could be C worthy

Hey, sorry to distract from all of the Claydol discussion, but I was looking through the list and noticed that a really good mon, that makes a whole playstyle in UU viable is missing from the list. Gorebyss the pretty pink face of smash pass definitely deserves a place on the viability rankings (probably C but I could honestly I could see B rank as well). I have been using gorebyss on a smash pass team to get reqs for the current ladder, and it is really good, as very few people prepare for smash pass in UU, and a +2/+2 Nidoking just destroys the tier (I also have Sub pass Mienshao and Honchkrow as recipients). Gorebyss is just really good in UU, there is a reason smash pass is banned in RU and NU.
Tho Gorebyss definitely has its flaws, I agree it should at least be ranked on the list. It's also quite threatening on rain teams.

Alright, for all you haters, Claydol isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It has 2 roles: Keep hazards off and set up rocks. Anything else in between is already too much for one Poke. For anyone arguing that Claydol is useless, I would love to see you pack Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin on a poke and get a lot of "effectiveness." The fact that it can perform 2 roles WHILE countering SubCM Raikou (The best Special Sweeper in UU) is a godsend to a Pokemon like Claydol.

Also pif, your post about how Victini epitomizes the need for a ban in your replay is extremely subjective. The fact that he predicted a switch correctly doesn't mean that it can. I mean, dude, look at this:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uususpecttest-52182327

This shows how good Raikou is, but I'm not spouting Raikou needs to be banned. I only play UU man; I don't even care

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
whoa nelly dont post replays of me losing that really damages my ego.

anyways why don't you put that part of the post in the np thread where it really should be to respond to mines?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Nominating Kabutops for at least B rank

Kabutops is a terrifying Rain sweeper under rain. I've seen it sweep so many team cleanly with the Choice Banded set under Rain. While Kabutops is amazing, it obviously requires Rain Dance support to be successful, but once Rain is up, it's very hard to stop from sweeping your team. Although not as important, it can also be a viable offensive Rapid Spinner. It's surprising to me that Kabutops hasn't even been nominated at all, but hopefully this post will generate some discussion about it.

Here are a few replays to demonstrate how effective it is given the right conditions.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uucurrent-52687753
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uucurrent-52738154
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uucurrent-52811328

Kinda shocked that Lanturn has been entirely overlooked as it checks some of the most dangerous threats in the tier with proper team support and is a pretty hard stop to any Togekiss shenanigans making it solid C rank material and a possible candidate for B rank. Lack of reliable recovery is a bitch and Lantuns BST is pretty underwhelming however its typing and ability are fantastic for checking electric, water, and flying types, and while the grass weakness may sting its somewhat mitigated by Lanturns obscenely low weight. While Lanturns special attack is frankly pathetic its surprisingly hard to swap into with its mix of water/electric STAB, burn chance, and its ability to run thunder wave or toxic, plus heal bell for cleric.

Niche mon is niche though so uh, discuss?

Last edited:

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While I'm here, can we please move claydol up from Koko rank? It resists stone edge and close combat/hjk, is immune to earthquake, can set up rocks, can spin (only thing in tier which can do both), has great defenses, destroys lives with a trick scarf set, catches shit off guard with specs, works great on hail teams, counters the shit out of raikou, has a nice movepool w/ dual screens/magic coat, and takes absolutely nothing from the hazards it's supposed to spin so it doesn't get worn down very easily, you pretty much have to attack it. The only reason it's D rank in the first place is because of a hatewagoning streak that seems to have died down. You could make the argument that it isn't a good spinner because ghost types fuck it up but it has a 37.5% chance to ohko the chandy switch in if rocks are up and can take a shadow ball. Also, saying it's a "bad spinner" is irrelevant because just look at its competition. If fucking Ambipom gets moved up, then there's no way in hell claydol shouldn't be moved up too.
Resisting Stone Edge and Close Combat/Hi Jump Kick isn't THAT good of a niche when you consider that it's nailed by something else on the sets of nearly every Pokemon that uses those moves. Rhyperior is the only Rock-type (and thus only user of Stone Edge who gets STAB from it) in UU, and it sometimes carries Megahorn. Even if it isn't, walling Rhyperior in itself doesn't really justify moving it up. As for Close Combat/Hi Jump Kick, Mienshao U-turns or Baton Passes a Sub to something that won't lose it against a Claydol (and that's a lot of Pokemon), Heracross Megahorns, Scrafty Crunches, Virizion Leaf Blades or Giga Drains, Hitmontop either Toxics or Spins hazards, and Cobalion can set up on sets without Earth Power or just switch out into something that can set up against it/take momentum back in your favor.

Trick Scarf/Specs is a very small niche, and I'd rather use that teamslot for something that can accomplish a lot more because this is UU and there are a lot of scary ass Pokemon to choose from.

A dual screens set sounds pretty bad to me. Why would I use dual screens Claydol over Azelf which can boom/Taunt and has great Speed or Uxie which can U-turn/Memento?

Aside from losing to most Ghost-types in UU, Claydol also doesn't really do much outside of hopefully Spin/set Stealth Rock. Countering Raikou could make it a decent team player if it did much outside of that, but it kind of doesn't. Yes, other UU spinners are also pretty mediocre, but at least Hitmontop and Blastoise have Foresight to pretty much guarantee a spin against anything but maybe Specs Chandelure. You also have to consider that a good spinner needs to be able to find the opportunity to spin against things that aren't Ghosts. This means that it needs to live a hit in order to spin, it has to find the time to spin, it can't have been weakened too much previously if you want to spin later unless you can find something weak to spin against. The last one can be especially difficult when you're running Stealth Rock on it as well because you need to find an opportunity to set THAT on top of staying healthy enough to spin later.

Truth be told, there's a reason for the hatewagon against Claydol. It might sound somewhat passable on paper, but it's really not. It has a niche, but other Pokemon have multiple niches that make them C-rank or higher. Claydol doesn't do enough to support its team, has trouble finding the opportunity to set Stealth Rock AND spin, and doesn't hit hard enough to warrant C-rank in my opinion.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since UU seems to be trending toward slow, bulky offense, I wonder if our perceptions of defensive Pokemon may require some renovations too? In exchange for its mildly useful resists and movepool, Claydol is setup bait for everything, so perhaps a more offensive spread can get the ball rolling for even him. I'm thinking 252 Sp. Att Modest to actually hurt things like Scrafty or Cofagrigus before they set up all over you, and a choice between Ice Beam/Grass Knot/Psychic STAB depending on what you want to check.

I started getting into this mindset with Bulk Up Scrafty, after noticing that a +1 Drain Punch with no Attack EVs does very little damage to anything (at 62.36 - 73.43%, even Mienshao is unimpressed). Since then, I've test run Adamant LO to mostly inconclusive results, but was mildly impressed by the beating CB Flygon and Cobalion took from Drain Punch when Scrafty tanked their moves.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since UU seems to be trending toward slow, bulky offense, I wonder if our perceptions of defensive Pokemon may require some renovations too? In exchange for its mildly useful resists and movepool, Claydol is setup bait for everything, so perhaps a more offensive spread can get the ball rolling for even him. I'm thinking 252 Sp. Att Modest to actually hurt things like Scrafty or Cofagrigus before they set up all over you, and a choice between Ice Beam/Grass Knot/Psychic STAB depending on what you want to check.

I started getting into this mindset with Bulk Up Scrafty, after noticing that a +1 Drain Punch with no Attack EVs does very little damage to anything (at 62.36 - 73.43%, even Mienshao is unimpressed). Since then, I've test run Adamant LO to mostly inconclusive results, but was mildly impressed by the beating CB Flygon and Cobalion took from Drain Punch when Scrafty tanked their moves.
That is an interesting concept to view, especially given the success of Pokemon like Nidoqueen, OTR Cofagrigus, Download Porygon2 and Specs Slowbro and the like. However the only issue is that some Pokemon really don't have the space to invest fully in an offense while maintaining HP investment. Like the compensation in the bulk often leaves you getting dented by Pokemon you could normally handle one-on-one. I might be wrong, and an all-out attacking set may actually do some work with some Pokes, but you kind of shift their purpose of supporting the team to needing support from it to function, which can really throw the scheme of things off-kilter. But if you can work around this I say it's an idea worth considering...

Ash Borer

claydol has a pretty high speed for a defensive pokemon, as a bulky specs tricking attacker, it outspeeds a lot of min speed pokemon. It seems kinda usable to be honest. Ill try it.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cryogonal needs to go to B-Rank.

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/cryogonal/uu

It is a great Rapid Spinner, awesome offensive presence(able to defeat all spinblockers in UU except Golurk), wonderful Mienshao-tier speed, sky-high Special Defence and reliable recovery. It is the premiere Spikes and Toxic Spikes Spinner, as Levitate permits it to switch in with impunity. In addition, it is a hard counter to the Royal Nidos, with Levitate being able to nullify Earth Power, and also a destroyer of common hazard setters Roserade and Qwilfish.

Although it has a poor Ice typing, and takes 25% from Stealth Rocks, once you have killed the opposing SR setter there is nothing that can stop it from spinning and keeping your field clear from hazards. Additionally, it can take up to 3 Nidoqueen Fire Blasts with Max Special Defence investment, proving its bulk.

It is superior to Claydol(exception of its poor defensive typing) thanks to its reliable recovery and offensive presence and should be boosted up to B-Rank.

Meanwhile, a moderator should edit in Hitmonlee into A-Rank. I made the argument about 3 months ago and Ctrl+F doesn't even list Hitmonlee in the rankings.

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/hitmonlee/uu

Last edited:
Magneton should definitely be at least B or to be considered one of the best poks in C, the fact that it opens the way for so many sweepers that need steel types out of the way like sharpedo kingdra,shaymin, liligant and others is just priceless, not only that but its typing and decent stats good move pool along with the ability to make good use of evio or even choice items ensure that it will be more just than a steel killer, it can reliably check pokemon like dd kingdra weavile honchkrew and others while threatening them offensively with its excellent Tbolt stab, but most of all it has access to volt switch, we all know how important momentum is in UU especially since this guy can hit hard most of ground types that are immune to it with stab F.cannon.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Magneton should only be C-rank

This is because there aren't many Steel-types in UU(the ones I can think of are Registeel, Bronzong, Escavalier, Bisharp, Empoleon, Cobalion). Magneton does jack shit to Registeel and Bronzong, Escavalier is rarely seen and Bisharp/Cobalion can fight back with Low Kick/Close Combat. Only Empoleon is hard countered by Magneton, and even then, it can't switch in safely on Scald/HydroPump.

It's weakness to common attacking types like Ground/Fire/Fighting which are totally everywhere in UU is very crippling and thus, Magneton should get no higher than C rank.

Ash Borer

Bronzong pretty much cant damage magnet rise magneton with its typical gyro ball, psychic, toxic, EQ, etc
I wouldnt say that it cant hurt bronzong.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Magneton should only be C-rank

This is because there aren't many Steel-types in UU(the ones I can think of are Registeel, Bronzong, Escavalier, Bisharp, Empoleon, Cobalion). Magneton does jack shit to Registeel and Bronzong, Escavalier is rarely seen and Bisharp/Cobalion can fight back with Low Kick/Close Combat. Only Empoleon is hard countered by Magneton, and even then, it can't switch in safely on Scald/HydroPump.

It's weakness to common attacking types like Ground/Fire/Fighting which are totally everywhere in UU is very crippling and thus, Magneton should get no higher than C rank.
Magneton is better than you're describing, but I agree on C-rank. If it was as bad as that, it'd be D rank in my opinion. As it is, with Magnet Rise it can defeat Bronzong, tank low kick and dish damage to Bisharp, weaken Registeel, beat Empoleon and Escavalier, and (very important imo) provides a check to Honchkrow and a few other mons which would run through an HO team otherwise. Does some cool things, worth a team spot in the right senario, but it doesn't support enough for B rank.

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
These are the changes that me and RT have discussed, we want opinions on all of these changes. From now on before we make changes we will make a post with the changes we are considering, and have everyone discuss these:
Removing Eelektross and Electivire from this list- These two mons aren't relevant at all, I have yet to see either of these on the ladder or in a tournament in months, and neither of these mons are particularly good checks to Electric types that they are meant to check in the first place. We are trying to cut down this list to the pokes that are relevant in this metagame.

Ambipom to B Rank- This change has already been made, but we want to get your guys opinions on it. Ambipom is very good at breaking down offensive teams, but it's main weakness is that it adds nothing defensively.

We are not moving Claydol from Kokoloko rank, it absolutely sucks. Setup fodder for every sweeper in the tier and doesn't even get Foresight so it is completely blocked by ghosts. Kokoloko material imo.

We are not moving Sharpedo from A rank to S rank. It needs Spikes support to sweep most effectively, and you can't really slap it on a team and have it perform well, you have to build around it. S Rank mons should be excellent mons that you can put on almost any team and do well.

We are talking about Magneton, but it most likely will stay Kokoloko. I will update this post when we have discussed it more, but you guys should discuss it more as well. There are a few others we are considering adding to the list, and I will edit into the post once we have discussed them, but we don't want to add a bunch of NU and RU pokemon that have no relevance whatsoever in the tier.

Discuss Cryogonal and Hitmonlee as well, we may or may not add them to the viability rankings.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Electivire should definitely be taken off the list, it's not really worth using imo. As it's been known since DPP, Electivire is hideously weak, and despite its amazing coverage, it won't be able to OHKO much, if anything. Also it's really frail so it will probably die after failing to OHKO something. Remove imo.

I said this before, but Claydol should probably move down even further to Lonelyness Rank; honestly, I think it's just that bad. It can't spin worth a damn (every ghost cockblocks it and hits it super effectively), has tons of exploitable weaknesses (go through the S and A lists, everything there will beat it), is setup fodder for everything in the tier, and isn't really that bulky. There's nothing positive about it. If you want a Stealth Rock user, there's plenty of other choices. Claydol can't do anything right, making it LN Rank worthy.

Magneton should probably stay in C imo; I like it since it's a pretty good Steel trapper and is a good partner for threats like Druddigon and Cinccino. SubRise Magneton shits on Bronzong while it beats Empoleon, Escavalier, and Bisharp along with weakening Registeel. Despite this, it has some exploitable weaknesses so it's demolished by common threats such as Nidoqueen, Mienshao, and Victini. It has a pretty good niche that warrants use nonetheless, making it C worthy.

I'm not sure about Ambipom, but it does seem to have a decent use because it stops offense hazard leads like Scolipede and Smeargle, and can also Fake Out and switch to weaken offensive threats. I don't like its lack of synergy though and it's kinda weak for my tastes, but I'm indifferent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)