Strategy & Metagame The underdogs of double battles: UU Doubles

Hey everybody! So I want to write an article about UU doubles. I find UU doubles to be lots of fun, but it's not easy to find people who play this tier. I want to write this article to try and raise awareness about the tier and to increase participation. UU Doubles has a lot of interesting pokemon in it and lots of cool strategies. In the article I hope to do the following:

1: Highlight some of the top threats in the metagame, including strategies with each pokemon.
2: Discuss the several sets that can be run, like Trick Room, weather, and their counters.
3: Use puns. It will keep the article interesting and enjoyable.

I have played UU Doubles for a while and have a good understanding of the game. I have a generally high ranking in the ladder for UU Doubles, so I feel like I have a grasp of the game. I plan on doing research on the tier by playing the game and studying used strategies and teams.

I look forward to hearing back from anyone about this, and I open to suggestions to help make this idea more appealing.

Sincerely,
Dragsol

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm in favor of the topic, but I'm not entirely confident that you could make said topic justice, although Audiosurfer , Pwnemon and Joim could maybe shine some light on that issue. Alternatively, you can write up a sample of this article for one of the mons you'll be covering so that we can see your writing in action.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i agree with bummer, this is a good idea for an article but i have basically no clue who you are except seeing a couple random posts around the forum. if you could write a sample paragraph (not the intro but a meaty paragraph in the middle) then i would feel a lot more comfortable deciding one way or the other.

Okay. I wrote up an example of what I cold write for one mon, I tried to cover movepool, type, ability and stats. I also included an example set for the mon.

Example post:
Once a top threat in OU, Milotic lost it's standing when the flood of water type pokemon kept appearing. Milotic now has a spot in the UU tier as a bulky water with powerful attacks, decent support moves, and a great ability. Competetive raises Milotic's Sp. Att. whenever one of Milotic's stats is lowered. With increased uses of Intimidate, Icy Wind, and Defog this ability can be very useful to raise Milotic's usable Sp. Att. to even higher levels. Milotics's defenses are already great, with 95/79/125 spread. Milotics's Sp. Def is it's highest stat, making Milotic more of a special wall than physical. This with a good typing with only two weaknesses makes it a very good special wall. Milotic has a base 100 Sp. Att. which will only rise once it's ability competitive kicks in. Milotic also has a base 81 speed. While it's not a great, it can outspeed Chandelure, Goodra, and non-mega Medicham.

Milotic has a limited but useful offensive movepool, plus a decent support movepool. Milotic has access to Surf, Hydro Pump and Scald for STAB water attacks. You can pick which one you prefer more, as each attack has their own ups and down. Milotic has Ice-type moves as well, like Blizzard, Ice Beam, and Icy Wind. All of these can be used to counter any grass types that may try and stop Milotic or any dragons that you may come across that resist water type moves. Milotic also has Dragon Pulse and Dragon Tail, which are risky moves to have since the introduction to fairy types, and Milotic has access to Ice type moves to deal with Dragons. Milotic's support moves are also decent, with access to Protect, Recover, Confuse Ray, Hypnosis, Magic Coat, and Light Screen. With Milotic's bulk support moves may be useful since Milotic can be around long enough to set some up.

Example:

Milotic @ Life Orb
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Blizzard
- Recover
- Protect

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My first impression is that you're listing the stuff that Milotic can get advantage from, but doesn't really explain what moves are better than the others and how they should be used. "You can pick which one you prefer more, as each attack has their own ups and down" is obvious, because Surf has spread (but hurts teammate), Hydro Pump is more powerful but accurate, while Scald is more of a utility move with good base power. Same thing can be said about the ice moves you listed, only lining them up but with no advice on what sets or situations that benefits more from each move. Not to mention that suggesting Dragon Pulse as a move despite having access to Ice moves of the same base power isn't the best advice (unless I'm missing something crucial).

It's great that you're invested in a meta that definitely needs more players pioneering it, but I recommend putting this article idea on hold until you've become more experienced with Doubles UU. The words of the people I tagged above hold more weight though, so I'll wait to see if they have something else in mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)