SS RU the trick home (as seen on pokeaimmd)

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
:ss/dhelmise::ss/pincurchin::ss/porygon2::ss/slowpoke::ss/wishiwashi::ss/drampa:
Welcome to the trick home.
This team was built with the intent of exploiting the amazing synergy of Trick Room and Teleport. I also just wanted an excuse to use offensive Pincurchin. Look at 'em.

However, as I built the team, it became something more. It became a great showcase of returning Pokemon, new moves, and plain ol' Drampa. What's really beautiful, however, is that it became a fully fledged family.
Let's take a look, shall we? Come on in. The door's open.

:porygon2: :pincurchin:
Porygon2 is insanely bulky. It sets up Trick Room and then brings in Trick Room abusers safely with Teleport. Stays healthy with Recover. You get the idea.
Pincurchin is strong. Life Orb Rising Voltage hurts a lot. Hydro Pump goes pretty well with it. Originally had Hex and Sucker Punch as the last moves, but changed Hex to Self-Destruct.

:porygon2::pincurchin::slowpoke:
One setter isn't enough. Slowpoke is really physically bulky and does the same thing but with Regenerator and Scald. When I say really bulky, I mean that it takes less than 40% from Scyther's U-Turn and lives Rillaboom's Wood Hammer.

:porygon2::pincurchin::slowpoke::dhelmise:
Dhelmise kills the things Pincurchin doesn't like. It also hits insanely hard. I swear Poltergeist OHKOs everything. Originally had Spin and Knock for utility but decided to go all in on offense with Steel Roller and Swords Dance instead- Steel Roller lets you clear terrain to reliably give Pincurchin the maximum number of turns and it just hits insanely hard.

:porygon2::pincurchin::slowpoke::dhelmise::wishiwashi:
Wishiwashi hits really hard. It might surprise you to see that this one is physical. I just wanted to spam dual pivoting moves while chunking everything, and Liquidation + Earthquake rounds out the set well for high damage. As a Water-type it's good at luring in other Water-types for the cushion and the anchor. Its bulk can come in handy too as it can pretty much take any one neutral hit regardless of power.

:porygon2::pincurchin::slowpoke::dhelmise::wishiwashi::drampa:
It's RU Trick Room. I'd be seriously stupid to not include the mon that gets a KO every time it comes in. Drampa's Sap Sipper can be extremely useful for supporting Slowpoke and Wishiwashi against Grass attackers like Decidueye, and Hyper Voice lets it bypass Substitute from opponents like Salazzle which could otherwise be used to safely stall out Trick Room and cause issues after. It's a shame that Drampa doesn't have any cool new toys like the rest of the team, but it really doesn't need them.

The Team

:ss/porygon2:
the nerdy kid (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Recover
- Trick Room
- Teleport
The team player. Porygon can take any hit, set up Trick Room, then proceed to either pivot out or Toxic stall its opponent. This set isn't running minimum Speed- this allows Porygon2 to heal up against the numerous slow Pokemon in the tier in a pinch when Trick Room isn't active, which can often make the difference between winning and losing. It outspeeds most offensive threats in Trick Room regardless, meaning not much is lost. Toxic has been more useful than any attacking option, but Foul Play definitely has merit. Trace is a cool ability as it lets Porygon2 do stuff like switching in on Vaporeon to heal or poisoning a Salazzle.

:ss/pincurchin:
the baby (Pincurchin) @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rising Voltage
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Self-Destruct
- Sucker Punch
The star of the show. Pincurchin's Electric Surge makes it a self-sufficient abuser of Rising Voltage, and Hydro Pump guarantees that most Ground-types, like Steelix, won't want anything to do with the urchin. Self-Destruct is a useful option when you need to get momentum or take out a Grass-type, or simply when you don't know what to do. Sucker Punch lets Pincurchin put in work outside of Trick Room and hits respectably hard. Plus, if switched in, Pincurchin can use Sucker Punch on Indeedee thanks to overriding its terrain. It's very frail due to lacking HP investment, but the damage output it provides is more than worth it from my testing.

:ss/slowpoke:
the lazy kid (Slowpoke) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Toxic
- Trick Room
- Teleport
The coolest mon on the team- I mean, Slowpoke in RU? Really? Yep. Slowpoke is the secondary Trick Room setter for the team, able to stick around thanks to Regenerator. Its physical bulk lets it set up on Pokemon like Scyther, Gallade and Passimian with ease, then get a teammate in safely via Teleport. As its damage output is very lacking, it packs Scald and Toxic in order to prevent it from being entirely passive. Scald is often useful at the start of the game for breaking Steelix's Sturdy while pressuring switchins. Very simple mon that fills its unique role well.

:ss/dhelmise:
the dad (Dhelmise) @ Life Orb
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Poltergeist
- Steel Roller
- Swords Dance / Rapid Spin
Yes, Dhelmise is the dad. Yes, it doesn't have a gender. It exists. Anyway, Dhelmise hits really hard- nothing except Drampa can really handle it due to its raw power that lets it OHKO Pokemon that aren't considered all that frail, like Charizard. Steel Roller is extremely powerful and helps Pincurchin by wiping its terrain, ensuring that whenever the baby comes in it can make full use of Electric Terrain's duration. It also almost always OHKOs Rillaboom, turning its own terrain against it. Other options might be more consistent, but Steel Roller is just really cool and it's nice to see a viable application of the move. As blunder pointed out, this set cleverly has no speed in order to go first in Trick Room. A cool tech for sure.

:ss/wishiwashi:
the cool kid (Wishiwashi) @ Choice Band
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Flip Turn
- U-turn
Wishiwashi has 140 Attack when it gangs up with its friends, and now actually has 4 physical moves worth using. The fact that two of them are momentum moves is pretty awesome, as it lets Wishiwashi keep up the pace while opting for power or coverage. Liquidation and Earthquake cover pretty much everything other than Grass-types and bulky Water-types, which get chunked by a banded U-turn. Being able to pivot on bulky Water-types is especially relevant as it gets Pincurchin and Dhelmise in on them safely to cause havoc. Momentum is an underrated aspect of Trick Room, and Wishiwashi is a great tool for keeping it up. It can also be used to take pretty much any neutral hit in a pinch thanks to its amazing defenses, which can prove useful very often.

:ss/drampa:
the mum (Drampa) (F) @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
Despite what the name suggests, Drampa is the mother of this family. She's an extremely strong woman, with the capability to OHKO pretty much everything not named Snorlax or Aromatisse. Hyper Voice is great utility for bypassing Substitute stalling from the likes of Salazzle, Draco Meteor is extremely free versus most offenses and often just guarantees an OHKO whenever Drampa hits the field, and the last two moves let Drampa nuke Steels and Snorlax. It doesn't really need much else. Berserk gives Drampa insane power, but in testing Sap Sipper proved more useful for its defensive merit and Berserk's power was usually way more than necessary regardless. There's not really any specific synergy reason Drampa is on this team though- it's just one of the best Trick Room abusers alongside Dhelmise, making it an easy choice.

the dad (Dhelmise) @ Life Orb
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Poltergeist
- Steel Roller
- Swords Dance

the lazy kid (Slowpoke) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Trick Room
- Teleport

the baby (Pincurchin) @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Rising Voltage
- Surf
- Self-Destruct
- Sucker Punch

Wishiwashi @ Choice Band
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Flip Turn
- U-turn

the nerdy kid (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Recover
- Trick Room
- Teleport

the mum (Drampa) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

Threat list

:ss/vaporeon:
This thing is just a pain. It stalls out turns with Protect, burns Dhelmise, walls Wishiwashi, cures the status Porygon2 and Slowpoke work so hard to spread, and keeps itself and the rest of the opposing team healthy. Beating this mon usually means resorting to the long haul with Porygon2, but if a teammate lands a Toxic on Porygon then you're in trouble. Drampa can also cause issues for Vaporeon- that is, if it isn't supporting a Snorlax.

:ss/salazzle:
Another nuisance. Sub+Protect+Toxic Salazzle exploits both Trick Room setters and stalls the turns out easily. If you manage to get Drampa in safely with multiple Trick Room turns remaining, you can pressure it with Hyper Voice- however, this can backfire if they have a Ghost-type in the back.

:ss/indeedee-f:
Choice Specs Indeedee is one of the few Pokemon that can immediately threaten to 2HKO both Trick Room setters. It also overwrites Pincurchin's terrain, which leaves it either flailing outside of Trick Room or pressured to Self-Destruct inside of it. Basically, you'll probably have to sacrifice a Pokemon if Indeedee gets in safely. That's kinda just what Indeedee does to teams without Dark-types.

The end
That's the family. I hope you enjoyed meeting them. This team could probably do with some polishing in parts, most likely involving replacing a certain somewhat redundant fish, but it's absolutely the most fun I've had with a team this generation while not feeling like I was using unviable trash. I hope you feel the same when trying it out.

p.s. have a good day

joey and blunder do a pretty good job showing off the team, go watch that. here's some of my own replays anyway
:pincurchin: p2 wears down the opponent for Pincurchin
Slowpoke does way too much work (and Collette pops off excessively)
:porygon2: p2 just sits on stuff lol
this team has a mono-tiny version: here it is
here it is winning a game

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)