Project The Top 10 Titans of the Gen7 ZU (Votes over)

Electivire.

Took 3 generations for it to be in a tier where it's more than just 'okay' in, but I'm kinda glad that it at least has a solid home in this generation. I felt kinda sorry for it.

Tack

Bow to your Matriarch
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
tbh, gotta go with big bird since it's actually useful in tour play unlike the vire set ladder spams
lets go silvally-fire swanna

Tuthur

formerly 0-7 in FCL
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
takes the 6th place.
Voting for the 7th place are open.
Abomasnow
I'm sick to read there and on Discord that people that vote Abomasnow are either memeing or don't know anything about ZU. Indeed I wouldn't follow a meme made by someone I never talked to, that tries to derail the thread which I'm hosting, and even if some may say that I've been inactive for months and that I don't know well ZU, that's not true.

So let's me explain why I find Abomasnow to be a titan.
I) Hail
Besides Vanilluxe during Alpha and some NFE, Abomasnow is the only weather auto-setter ZU had. Abomasnow and its Snow Warning made drastic change in ZU. First they made Sun and Rain completely unviable just its presence, while Abomasnow didn't counter these archetypes on its own, the fact it could remove their weather just make these archetypes completely inexistent. Just before Abomasnow dropped, Diagnostic's Rain team ran on the ladder and right after it leaved 2 monthes ago Sun and Rain team explosed on the ladder, with Sun teams still being very popular on the ladder nowadays. Also while full Hail wasn't archetype on its own, semi-hail was one. Abomasnow boosted Frostom giving its Blizzard perfect accuracy, and Beartic which turned from a niche pick in Rain teams to a very threatening wallbreaker under hail, able to break through Fire-types with Stone Edge and Bronzor/Grumpig with Throat Chop. Hail also beneficiated to hazard stack teams that used Crustle or Whirlipede (s/o to Quagsgone) by providing even more chip damages on the opponent side. Hail also allowed Abomasnow to disrupt the recovery of several Pokemon such as Gourgeist and Rapidash which could be abused

II) Abomasnow as a wallbreaker
Afer Frostom's departure, Abomasnow was the only offensive viable Pokemon in ZU alongside Beartic which needed Abo's support and niche options like Glaceon and Lapras. Abomasnow forced on its own teams to run Ice resists that weren't Water-types such as Monferno or Bronzor. Abomasnow was huge a threat because depending on its set it could beat its check, Swords Dance could break through every wall not nammed Avalugg, Scarf with Eq was able to remove fire types such as Rapidash (also note that between SR, Hail and Morning Sun nerf, Rapidash was a very shacky check to Abomasnow) and Monferno, and Specs was unwallable, being able to pressure Bronzor with Shadow Ball, Lickilicky with Focus Blast, Water-types with Giga Drain and anything else with Blizzard. Now that Abomasnow is gone, Ice resists are less common and things like defensive Monferno have almost disappeared.

Tldr: Abomasnow was able to support its team very well thanks to Snow Warning, supporting very well some archetypes and annihilating some others while also being on its own a deadly wallbreaker.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)