Project The Top 10 Titans of the Gen 8 OU Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
:ss/weavile:

This one definitely had an interesting turnout, and the popularity of picks also oscillated a lot throughout this voting phase. However, there has to be a winner, and Weavile turns out with 18 votes compared to Dracovish's 14. Since there were several other great nominees, I'll also be adding a small honorable mentions section featuring the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th winners of this voting round, being Dracovish, Cinderace, and Slowbro (14, 7, and 7 votes respectively).

Now, we finally have our top 10, thus ending the project after 2 months! I'll be leaving it open for the next few days to discuss the turnout! For reference, the final list is below:
Top 10 Titans of the Generation 8 OU Metagame:

1. :clefable:
2. :dragapult:
3. :landorus-therian:
4. :toxapex:
5. :kyurem:
6. :heatran:
7. :corviknight:
8. :ferrothorn:
9. :urshifu:
10. :weavile:

Honorable Mentions:
1: :dracovish:
2: :cinderace:
3: :slowbro:

i would have also loved if tapu lele got into this list . Tapu lele is a monstrosity with its choice specs set , sacrificing for speed . It is usually paired with pivot mons so that it can come on field unharmed. Choice scarf set is again a very very good set imo . Outspeeds lot of top speed toer mons ( zera , koko , pult) , some other lesser used sets , some people even use future sight lele , and pairs it with other physically offensive mons , and my god it hits like a truck in terrain. Scarf lele is also a grt revenge killer . I have personally found it really useful in clutch situations. And pyschic surge is also good in lot fo situations , liek ice shard weavile . thsi allows even a weakened lele even to get teh kill without worries . personally i have had this situation where my lele was at 1% but i won cuz of terrain. Some people use lesser used sets like twisted spoon , or life orb cm lele with lot of investment on HP and Phys DEF . CM bulky life orb lele is a very good set up mon for ho teams

This is not meant as any accusation of bias or contesting the results. Just thought I'd share 2 cents I had on things.

I'm curious how much recency played into some of these impressions. Some people might have evaluated based on how impactful the mon was for the time it was permitted in the tier (something that definitely weighs heavily in favor of Banned-by-Test subjects like Kyurem), but there's another part of my head that leaned a bit towards the influence of mons that were here by the time of the DLC2 meta, maybe leaning a bit more heavily towards long-runners like Clefable in turn.

Personal perspective, for a project about big influences and titans of "The OU Metagame" in particular, something in me wasn't inclined to vote for mons who got banned from OU, in part because the idea in that case seemed to suggest as significant as their influence was, it was not something we considered welcome/ideal for OU. Some might lean the other way and say they were Titans standing that far above other influences, which makes for an interesting discussion on what different voters were considering with their nominations and votes.

Also Melmetal was robbed

This is not meant as any accusation of bias or contesting the results. Just thought I'd share 2 cents I had on things.

I'm curious how much recency played into some of these impressions. Some people might have evaluated based on how impactful the mon was for the time it was permitted in the tier (something that definitely weighs heavily in favor of Banned-by-Test subjects like Kyurem), but there's another part of my head that leaned a bit towards the influence of mons that were here by the time of the DLC2 meta, maybe leaning a bit more heavily towards long-runners like Clefable in turn.

Personal perspective, for a project about big influences and titans of "The OU Metagame" in particular, something in me wasn't inclined to vote for mons who got banned from OU, in part because the idea in that case seemed to suggest as significant as their influence was, it was not something we considered welcome/ideal for OU. Some might lean the other way and say they were Titans standing that far above other influences, which makes for an interesting discussion on what different voters were considering with their nominations and votes.

Also Melmetal was robbed
I'm inclined to agree in general and especially so for this generation, since this is the first time we've ever had DLC. The only time I can recall in which a significant group of mons were added mid-gen was ORAS, which saw the addition of mega forms for: Swampert, Sableye, Altaria, Metagross, Lati@s, Lopunny, Diancie, etc. For god's sake Ubers didn't even have Primal Groudon for a big chunk of gen 6.

Pre-DLC: Can anyone deny that Conkeldurr was top ten? Or how deadly Hydreigon was?

DLC 1: This saw the additions of stuff like:
- Cinderace getting Libero
- Rillaboom getting Grassy Surge
- Slowbro/king and their regional variants
- Chansey and Blissey
- Scizor
- Kingdra
- Skarmory
- Magnezone
- Tangrowth
- Sus Amoonguss
- Volcarona
-Magearna
- both Urshifu forms

I think Melmetal became available sometime in this period too.

Lastly there were the additions of significant moves like Grassy Glide, Flip Turn, Triple Axel, Scale Shot, Meteor Beam, Poltergeist, and Dual Wingbeat.

Clearly these metas were significantly different. Comparing the two is hard.

As for DLC 2, it added:
- Nidoking
- Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and their regional variants
- Dragonite
- Blaziken
- Lati@s
- Garchomp
- Heatran
- Victini
- Lando-T
- Volcanion
- all the Tapus
- all the Ultra Beasts

I challenge everyone to see whether their teams lack even one of these additions. The shift was major.

In summary, I think comparing these metas is very hard to do without weighing the present so heavily due to the sudden, drastic changes from the DLC. In Gen 9, assuming DLC returns in some form, I believe we should have a top ten vote for each clearly separate meta and then a final, whole-gen vote at the end. If the third version/sequal model happens then it may not be important to separate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)