Project The Top 10 Titans of the Gen 7 Ubers Metagame

:yveltal:

Had a massive run in both SM and USM as one of the metagame's finest utility stallbreakers as well as one of the better switchins to the legendaries that gen 7 introduced. Ultra can't really compare when it wasn't around for SM imo

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Congratulations to our third winner!
:sm/yveltal:

Surpassing even Primal Groudon on the first round, Yveltal takes it with an incredible amount of 10 votes just on this round. Our runner-up, Ultra Necrozma, received 3 votes, while Mega Gengar went to the third place with 2 votes.

These are our nominees for #4 (you can still click on them and see their nominations and why you should vote for that Pokémon):

Remember, those ranking are for the most influentional Pokémon on the meta, not the best, so, if you think that Primal Kyogre changes the Teambuilding more than Zygarde, but Zygarde is a better Pokémon, then you should vote for Kyogre. This rank also keeps in mind all of gen 7, not just USUM. So, while this doesn't make Pokémon the Necrozma formes and Marshadow unable to compete with the others, do keep in mind that they weren't here from the start.

To vote, you simply needs to say the name of the Pokémon you're voting for; you don't need to provide a motive, but that would be appreciated. Discussion during the voting stages also is encouraged.

As much as it hurts me to see Ultra Necrozma, Marshadow and Zygarde not getting that high of a spot, I'm going with Mega Gengar here. With it being the Pokémon that probably spent the most time on S rank out of all the Pokémon here (and I still kinda disagree with the time that it dropped to A+), I think some people forgot how much Mega Gengar influence the metagame as it was here since XY. With it already being at advantage over some Pokémon because it wasn't introduced later, this Pokémon is the only one that actually received a complex ban via it not being able to use Hypnosis, something that no other Pokémon here can say. It also is why so many Pokémon need to use Shed Shell, the main reason why defensive teams have Pursuit support (and even some more offensive ones now are using Marshadow too), and it even made Blissey a more effective option than Chansey most of the time just because of their matchup against Mega Gengar. It also was one of the last hopes for stall against Ultra Necrozma, which shows that, despite its stats being totally offensive, it can fit almost any archetype. It also causes many people to change their Arceus forme just so that they don't auto-lose to Mega Gengar: it alone can change a potential Arceus-Fairy to something like Arceus-Ground or Arceus-Dark. It also may not look like as influent as some others at first because it's not the Pokémon that actually does all of the work: it opens the way for the others. Zygarde-C, Yveltal, Xerneas, Ultra Necrozma, and many others wouldn't be nearly as threatening if they couldn't have Mega Gengar support, although some of those are also Pokémon that Mega Gengar itself keeps in check. Finally, Shadow Tag just allows it to basically guarantee one KO per match: there's probably not a single matchup where Mega Gengar is going to be truly useless, something that probably no other Pokémon can say.

64 Squares

Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push miracle whips
is a Tiering Contributor
since these titans are representative of the entire gen 7 meta, I believe Xerneas should be #4 as prior to dusk manes introduction it was one of the top 2 Pokémon in the tier back in SM

Now it’s scarf set remains one the best revenge killers in the tier and it’s geomancy set still has merits

This is a tough decision between Xerneas and Marshadow, but I've decided to go with

:marshadow:

Marshadow was a major reason as to why SM Ubers felt so dreary. There were so little checks to this little monster that teams just ended up being somewhat passive just to consistently deal with the threat. On the other hand, in USM Ubers, it makes a significant deal of teams quake by being the best Pursuit support and being able to revenge kill Ultra Necrozma and Mega Mewtwo Y with a bit of chip, whilst still being the 2HKO machine it's known for. Compared to Xerneas' iron fist rule in SM, in USM Xerneas doesn't have nearly the same influence despite its Geomancy sets sticking one of only a handful of checks onto most teams.

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
Considering the entire generation, it has to be Xerneas. MGar is a close second, but I opted for Xerneas since MGar requires expertise to fully bring out its potential.

Last edited:

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Congratulations to our fourth winner!
:sm/gengar-mega:

This round surprised me with how varied the votes were: out of our 8 candidates, 6 received votes! Mega Gengar wins this round with 5 votes, while Xerneas is the runner-up with 2 votes and Ultra Necrozma, Marshadow, Zygarde, and Lunala got 1 vote each.

These are our nominees for #5 (you can still click on them and see their nominations and why you should vote for that Pokémon):

Remember, those ranking are for the most influentional Pokémon on the meta, not the best, so, if you think that Primal Kyogre changes the Teambuilding more than Zygarde, but Zygarde is a better Pokémon, then you should vote for Kyogre. This rank also keeps in mind all of gen 7, not just USUM. So, while this doesn't make Pokémon the Necrozma formes and Marshadow unable to compete with the others, do keep in mind that they weren't here from the start.

To vote, you simply needs to say the name of the Pokémon you're voting for; you don't need to provide a motive, but that would be appreciated. Discussion during the voting stages also is encouraged.

This is once again pretty hard, but despite the low amount of votes it received until now, I'm going with Marshadow this round. Yes, Xerneas had great influence on SM, but as time passed, we more and more had naturally fit Xern's checks into our teams until we reached USUM and now most people can fit Groudon + Necrozma-DM/another Steel-type like Magearna on any team without using Pokémon that are useless outside of that. Ultra Necrozma also was a cool option, but only appearing on USUM gave the edge to Marshadow. For starters, Marshadow changed offense by just existing: now, physical setup sweepers can't really setup if they're slower unless they're immune to Spectral Thief (in this case, they're weak to Fighting). Remember Arceus-Ghost? Before Marshadow, it was arguably the most potent Arceus forme, with it destroying teams on webs with its Z-Move set. After Marshadow, it's pratically unviable. Ekiller, instead of running the old max Speed set with Life Orb, now uses a bulky Chople Berry set just for it (and in case it doesn't have Chople, it still is going to use a moveslot for Marshadow, like Substitute). Mega Lucario also had a hard drop, and even Lunala almost was forgotten for some time. Supportceus now almost always have ti have a decent matchup against Marshadow, with the only forme that's still is used that's weak to it being Dark. Pokémon that are weak to priority moves and run Espeed, like Deoxys-A and even Rayquaza to some extent, suffered too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)