Project The Top 10 Titans of the Gen 7 OU Metagame

Mega Metagross for sure. My #10 is a tossup between Pelipper, big Torn, and Pheromosa but Mega Metagross absolutely deserves a spot on this because of how insanely centralizing it was both as a standalone threat and as a Mega that made every other Mega in the tier look shitty by comparison.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Mega Metagross

This fucker left such a powerful impression in the short period of time it was allowed during SM OU, was a phenomenal glue that just did a ton of great things for a team. Should be branded as a titan, Megagross was just phenomenal, perhaps too phenomenal paired with that current metagame.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Honestly Pelipper is laughable here. Mega Metagross was so good it was broken, only after being a top 3 pokemon for the whole beginning stretch of the generation. Pelipper was never even consistently regarded as an A rank pokemon. Rain has improved from cheese to somewhat commonplace, but it’s still not anywhere close to the top 10, and this is coming from a guy who has played lots of rain over the course of the generation.

Vote goes to Mega Metagross for sure.

Honestly Pelipper is laughable here. Mega Metagross was so good it was broken, only after being a top 3 pokemon for the whole beginning stretch of the generation. Pelipper was never even consistently regarded as an A rank pokemon. Rain has improved from cheese to somewhat commonplace, but it’s still not anywhere close to the top 10, and this is coming from a guy who has played lots of rain over the course of the generation.

Vote goes to Mega Metagross for sure.
Just asking out of curiosity, how much did Mega Metagross define OU as a whole, like throughout the whole gen? It was broken for sure and definitely affected the meta while it was around, but has it had any lasting effects on the tier since the ban? It's been a couple years now and aside from less Mega Scizor usage I don't know what other effects are notable.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Just asking out of curiosity, how much did Mega Metagross define OU as a whole, like throughout the whole gen? It was broken for sure and definitely affected the meta while it was around, but has it had any lasting effects on the tier since the ban? It's been a couple years now and aside from less Mega Scizor usage I don't know what other effects are notable.
Mega Metagross being banned immediately opened up a great increase in Celesteela/other steel type usage (and also Magearna in particular, but one could argue the SG sets would've eventually become prevalent anyway seeing as the following WCOP it was basically broken itself). While it was in the tier for a limited time, the entire opening stretch of SM was loosely defined by it and the moves it ran/strategies it was a part of (i.e: TPunch+ETerrain totally shifted counterplay to it). It was consistently a top 3 Pokemon in the metagame and while it was there for a limited time, we are not arguing for it to be top 3, but rather #8. On the contrary, Pelipper has never even been A rank and yet people want it to be top 10 titans of all time, when Rain was widely regarded as just cheese for the first year and change of the metagame? It's really not even close imo

I'll switch my vote to Metagross. I wasn't around as much at the very beginning of SM, really only USUM, but after looking back a bit at viability rankings and other stats, it should definitely be Metagross. Peliper was/ is only good because of drizzle and having a pokemon like swampert to take advantage of swift swim. Somewhat unrelated, I also hate the bird from the amount of times that is spammed double team and protect during my early rounds of Hoenn. Screw this bird.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)