The Top 10 Titans of the 5th Gen NU Metagame [General Discussion]

Snover - 9
Golurk - 4
Amoonguss - 3
Cinccino - 1

Snover is the 9th most influential Pokemon of BW NU!

Thanks to no one for the Snover nomination!
no one nominated this thing lol
fuck flcl
fuck ebeast
fuck trop
fuck soulgazer
fuck raseri
fuck skylight
fuck dtc
fuck tennis
fuck nu
Voting for the final #10 spot starts here!
Your choices are:

Cryogonal / Cinccino / Zangoose / Ludicolo / Mesprit / Amoonguss / Golurk

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Mesprit

more deserving of #1 in usage than golurk/amoo, cincinno was meh, zangoose is ok but not overpowering, ditto for ludi, cryo was ok

Golurk again.

I'm too tired to compare it to the others up in here, but I can gush about it a bit since Treecko(?) asked for some explanations. It has some pretty varied sets, it's always been common, it sets up rocks and keeps them there, and choice band Golurk is one of my favorite Pokemon to use in NU. (Scarf comes in pretty high, but mainly for wacky teams.) If the opponent predicts badly against CB Golurk, they gon' get punched into next Sunday.

that was me who asked that Infernis
thanks for providing an explanation, more people do it please. This round its even more important than usual, as the choices are already varying massively.. An explanation would help clear your choices up. Why was Ludicolo more influential than mesprit? Why did Golurk have a greater effect on the metagame than Zangoose?

DAMN YOU ALL I'M VOTING FOR SAWK AGAIN

Amoonguss
is the way to go. One of the most solid defensive Pokemon to ever grace this tier. Regenerator + good bulk + Synthesis / Giga Drain + Leftovers / Black Sludge meant that Amoonguss wasn't afraid of taking hits, especially from popular Fighting-type Pokemon. Amoonguss also had access to Spore, meaning you had to pick your switch carefully or one of your best answers to it would become incapacitated. Amoonguss also had Clear Smog to stop most boosting sweepers, which it could usually do on its own. The popularity of Alomomola, another extremely good defensive Pokemon with reliable healing and Regenerator, also helped Amoonguss out, because they made an impressive defensive duo. I'm still surprised it hasn't already been placed on the list.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Golurk

Was gonna vote Zangoose, but Golurk retained its relative dominance even during the tier shifts that sped up the meta. It kind of started the whole 'lead war' thing against Sturdy mons (it made a good lead in general too) until Sawk and friends stepped up their game and joined in.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ludicolo

It's a tough choice between Zangoose and Ludicolo, but the fact that Ludi was a top-tier threat much longer pushes it over the edge for me.

Golurk

One of the best rock setters in the tier, if not the best due to its infamous No Guard Dynamicpunch. Even without Dynamicpunch or Stealth Rock it can be a very difficult to defeat, as Iron Fist is a fantastic ability and lets it hit like a beast. The only other choices for me were Amoongus, Ludicolo and Mesprit. Mesprit was only around for a short while and didn't really leave too much of an impact after it left. Amoongus was a really cool sleep inducer with great defenses and Regenerator, but was destroyed by anything with Taunt or Vital Spirit and quite honestly didn't leave too much of an impact, as all it really did was sit on your team and put something to sleep. Ludicolo is a really good Pokemon, with good defenses and fantastic offenses in the rain, but just can't stay alive for very long, and it also didn't really affect the metagame much.

Golurk just left more of an impression on the meta as a whole, while the other three were more self contained threats.

I'd vote for Zangoose because to me it deserves it most, but it's obviously not getting the spot so not wasting my vote. Amoonguss and Golurk and Cinccino were/are all really good Pokemon, but they're not titans. Just because they had high usage doesn't mean that they were the most dominating threats in the metagame in the same way that just because Scizor's #1 in OU all the time doesn't mean it's the most dominating threat—it's just a really good check to a lot of things. Amoonguss and Golurk are the same, and Cinccino was uhhh a mouse. Ludicolo has been around for a long time, and it's a Pokemon that if you don't prepare for it (which isn't super easy to do) then you're fucked. It helped make rain such a goddamn nuisance, even to the point where it got suspected. It can run a few sets and is even one of the best checks to rain when it's running a defensive set. It's a titan. The others are just good Pokemon. Ludicolo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)