The Top 10 Titans of the 5th Gen LC Metagame

Approved by Blarajan - Stolen from the OU, UU, RU and NU ones

Top 10 Titans of 5th Gen LC

As 6th gen swiftly approaches, I think it’s time that we take a look back on the entire 5th gen LC Metagame. With the transition from 4th gen to 5th gen, Eviolite got introduced, which meant the metagame shifted from heavily offensive to balanced. With the arrival of Black and White 2, many past threats became all the more potent thanks to more readily available tutor attacks and hidden abilities, for example Foongus. Many Pokémon have had a great impact over the course of 5th gen LC. But, it is now time to decide, who are the Top 10 Titans of 5th Gen LC?

This is where you guys come in. This thread will work similarly to the LC Viability Ranking Thread, where throughout the month, you guys will nominate Pokemon to be voted on to be placed as candidates for the Top 10 Titans of 5th Gen LC. The voting for the actual top 10 list will be done near the end of september (close to the release of generation VI) by you all*, so that by the time 6th gen does roll around, we have an accurate depiction of which Pokemon were the ones that had a very significant impact on the LC Metagame. Every shift, you will look through the candidates mentioned, and then you will vote on the one that has the most compelling argument on why it should be in the Top 10. The nominating will last until the end of August, which after that, the voting process will being, with a top ten list determined two weeks later.

* i had to change the format a little because we're starting this a little later than the other tiers, so there isn't really very much time

Now, what do I want in a post? Well, what I would like to see in a post nominating a Pokemon is:

• What kind of effect did this Pokemon have during its time in the 5th Gen LC Metagame?
    • What were its main roles when it was/is used?
    • What caused it to have such a significant impact? (Think Movesets, abilities, base stats, etc)
    • How would you deal with this Pokemon when you are team building/battling it? (checks, counters, etc)
These are the kinds of posts that show that you aren’t just saying, “Pokemon X should be in the top 10 because it looks cool.” Those kinds of posts should not even be thought about being made.

Now, for the big question, what kinds of Pokemon can we nominate? Well, really, you can nominate any that were in LC but were banned, or you can suggest any Pokemon that’s in LC right now. I’m hoping that by the end of September, we’ll have a significant list to vote for the top 10.

Now, the voting for the top 10 will NOT be a standard 1. Best Pokemon 2. Second best, etc. The Top 10 will be the ones that have had the most significant impact on their time used in the Metagame. This means even in Black and White 1.

Here's a list of the current nominees:

Meditite| Carvanha |Murkrow | Misdreavus | Mienfoo | Scraggy | Drilbur | Snover |Hippopotas | Chinchou | Gligar | Vulpix

I feel that this project would be a great idea for us at the moment with 6th gen coming towards us fast and with 5th gen finally winding down on being almost done with the changes in it. So, now it is up to you all. Who do you think impacted the LC metagame the most? Who do you believe is a Titan?

Last edited:
I'll start off by reserving Misdreavus; i'll post this sometime in the weekend (or maybe even later ) due to irl time issues

Last edited:
Nominating Drilbur
Drilbur had 2 main roles this generation. A sand sweeper, or a utility Stealth Rocker/Spinner. In Sand, it's one of the most potent sweepers out there with 26-34 speed in Sand, with an eviolite it's capable of 2HKOing everything out there with proper hazards, or OHKOing at +2 atk. With a good EV spread, it can get fairly beefy too, being 4HKO'd by Porygon's Tri Attack, 3HKO'd by Abra's Psychic, and 2HKO'd by Snover's Blizzard. So long as you can keep Sand up and have good checks to it's counters; Slowpoke, Lileep, and Tirtouga, he's all set to destroy a team. Because of Sand Rush, Snover became a common Scarfer and a regular on most top teams as a way to deal with Hippopotas teams. Because of the popularity of Sand due to Drilbur, it's also popularized Sandshrew, Lileep, Pawniard/Houndour, Omastar, etc.

As a utility role, it guarantees Stealth Rocks against the Bouncing Natu, and is the only other viable spinner aside from Staryu. Because of it's ability, Mold Breaker it also keeps Misdreavus from safely switching in, as she's 2HKO by Earthquake. While not as impactful as Sand Rush to the metagame, it's a strong staple in many teams and has a great combination of strong attacks, hazards, utility, and typing (being one of the few strong ground types in LC). With it's good utility and God-like strength in Sand, our speedy mole, Drilbur, is definitely a Titan of Little Cup.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nah keep this thread imo, but pick up from where we left off. We have 12 nominees on the other thread, but we still never put them in order. I'd add the nominees to the OP, give some time for any other nominees to be nominated, then order them. Or just give Chieliee the OP of the other thread.

mkay, i will put those nominees in the op

edit: done

(i personally don't agree with carvanha/snover/chinchou/hippopotas but w/e)

Because the descriptions in the other thread were a bit too short, i suggest we re-write all of them. (just ~15 long posts, by ~15 frequent posters, shouldn't take too long imo) Drilbur, in this thread, is also a bit too short. To get an idea of what a post should look like, here's an example of a good nomination post (this one is for Magmortar in NU)
http://smogon.com/forums/threads/th...h-gen-nu-metagame.3487158/page-2#post-4798440

Last edited:
ok feck this, we will just skip the long post making part because nobody seems to want to do that (including me). I'm asking you now to PM me your choice (on forums), in the following format

Code:
the best Titan (will be given 12 'points')
second best (10 points)
third (8)
fourth (7)
fifth (6)
sixth (5)
seventh (4)
eight (3)
ninth (2)
tenth (1)
We have 12 nominees, this means that the two worst nominees (in your opinion) will get 0 points

If you're lazy, i will allow you to only vote for a certain number of nominees, and in that case any nominee not listed will also get 0 points. But if possible, stick to the format above.

When i feel like enough people have voted, i will close voting and post the results.

In case of a tie, I will decide who gets which spot (i won't vote myself, so i guess that's kinda fair, as my 'votes' only count if there's a tie)

Last edited:
i agree with you that there is a pretty clear border in nominees between mons that had a really /huge/ impact and mons that were just common all around LC.

but eh top 7 titans doesn't have that alliteration.

nah, seriously, i think it doesn't really matter, as the ones that will be on the last few spots still had a big influence on the metagame. uhh i can't really put my thought process into words here... w/e

How many people have responded?
Edit: He told me not enough
EVERYONE SEND IN YOUR STUFF :C

Last edited:

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah uh. This list is missing some mons. I'm not sure if you remember or were here, but there was a time when Slowpoke and Frillish were GODS. I mean these Pokemon were so good they got LC Featured Pokemon. Also Gastly during the Missy ban was one of the top three Pokemon, so not including it is lol. There are also a lot of Pokemon missing that dominated early-mid Gen V LC, notably Croagunk, Shellder, Bronzor and Lileep. You could also probably argue Stunky and Lickitung. Basically, this list is much more heavily skewed to the metagame later in the generation and bans (which are obvious picks). The list of nominees should have been more inclusive.

There's a difference between being very popular for a good amount of time, and actually causing a effect on the meta. Sure Slowpoke and frillish were considered amazing (these two are still pretty good) But even when they were at their best no one really had to go out of their way to beat them because mienfoo can just knock off and uturn, or croagunk can 2HKO slowpoke with shadow ball and 3hkos Frillish while walling the former.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I agree with Draco. These lists are quite heavily biased toward the current metagame, and considering this is for all of Gen V, the scope really needs to be broader.

How many people have responded?
Edit: He told me not enough
EVERYONE SEND IN YOUR STUFF :C
Yeah, I agree with Draco. These lists are quite heavily biased toward the current metagame, and considering this is for all of Gen V, the scope really needs to be broader.
I send my list to Chieliee, time ago. If we want to resume the topic, completing it with some "missed" pokes, let's do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)