SS UU The Tale of a Cruel World

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Originally, this RMT was going to essentially be a bible of SS UU's history, but it turns out I already wrote that. Go read it if you're interested!

As edgy as the title may be, I promise the rest of this post will be good vibes only >.>
Hello dear reader, welcome to what is going to be my 2000th Smogon post. A ridiculous number, frankly, given I've only got roughly two-and-a-half years of activity on the site! Averaging at like, three posts per day feels pretty insane since I don't feel like I do nearly that much; I guess you don't really see all the "in" and "won gg" posts add up until your number reaches something silly like mine. I didn't expect to end up reaching a number like this, well... ever, but especially not this soon. And being as basic and uncreative as I am, I decided to throw another team that's not even UU-legal into the RMT section just so I could write some things about my journey here and the people I've met along the way. So, without further ado, I present: The Tale of a Cruel World. Why did I name it that? No reason. I just like the OST.

and this beautiful artwork was created by the lovely, ever-talented ausma <3
It doesn't feel like it's only been a couple of years on here. While it feels like I've done very little, it also feels like I've done a lot. I've got regrets, as does everyone, but overall I think I've made a positive impact on this community as a whole and I hope others feel that way too. With that said, all things considered, I don't have many Pokemon-specific achievements on here. Sure, as far as contributions and stuff go, I did great - I was a good analysis writer, good poster, good moderator, and I like to think I was a good super moderator too before my recent resignation. On top of that I've been leading UU for over a year, and despite the ups and downs I think I've done a lot for the tier that wouldn't have happened if not for my presence. Do I think I've been perfect? No. Have I done a good job? Well... that's up to you to decide, but yeah I think I've been pretty solid. But in terms of tournament results and stuff, I've been like... good but not great. Decent UU team tour runs, a decent Snake 4 run, and a few individual tournament wins of mostly less-relevant tournaments minus the esteemed ADV PU TOURNAMENT, but nothing to really write home about. When you're "less noteworthy" like this (not to self-deprecate, lol, just saying I'm far from legendary) it's hard to gain an association. Some people are known as cheesers, some as amazing builders, et cetera, but I've never really had anything like that. So when I built this team, I really wanted it to "solve" the archetype I was going for - Mew Spikes, which were extremely powerful at the time. I don't think I quite got there, but this team did see massive success, and I'm proud of that.

To that end, I wanted something that a) matched up very well into the most prominent threats of the time, and b) had a good matchup against all forms of cheese playstyles that could be used against me like sun, screens and stall. Enter Lycanroc Dusk, and the rest of my building process.

~~~

Stained, Brutal Calamity (Lycanroc-Dusk) @ Life Orb
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Accelerock
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs
Lycanroc-D was a huge sleeper threat that covered everything I wanted in a single slot. Between its powerful priority Accelerock that obliterated sun teams as well as Screens staples in Thundurus, Cloyster, Salamence and more, I was certain I wanted it on my team - it helped that it has fantastic synergy with Spikes in general, since they let it chip down and break through answers like Tangrowth easily. Crunch nailed Aegislash and Galarian Slowbro, two very prominent threats of the era, while Psychic Fangs was both amazing coverage for all of Amoonguss, Tentacruel and Nihilego and also a way to shatter screens easily. Lycanroc-D often performed as the team's final boss of sorts, mowing down weakened teams with ease thanks to its amazing coverage and Speed tier. It fit like a glove on this archetype.

Universal Collapse (Mew) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 112 SpD / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled​

Specially defensive Mew was a demon of this time period that completely sat on a huge number of Pokemon, including opposing Nihilego, Nidoqueen, Moltres, Salamence and more. Knock Off + Will-O-Wisp crippled basically everything outside of Reuniclus, and its Spikes were just so difficult to remove because there were no hazard removers that actually wanted to switch into this thing. It supported Lycanroc-D and the rest of the team exceptionally well in this regard, forming a very solid hazard core with Nihilego which, at the time, was almost impossible to Defog on safely outside of... you guessed it, Defog Mew! Mew was almost banned because of how oppressively unkillable it was; this set is the main reason why.

Toxic Wisdom (Aegislash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic​

Speaking of oppressive, the at-the-time recently released Aegislash made for a very nice fit on this team. Its typing was hugely important for staving off the likes of Galarian Slowbro, Reuniclus, Necrozma and opposing Mew, and its STAB combination alongside Toxic made it a real nightmare to take down. Things like Salamence and Celesteela would be forced to switch in and would just get broken down over time, an Aegislash would outlast them easily thanks to its Stealth Rock resistance and King's Shield making it immortal. It was also often forced to trade with the likes of Thundurus and Kommo-o, which it did admirably.

Open Frenzy (Zarude-Dada) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Leaf Guard
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat
- U-turn
- Jungle Healing​

Zarude had fallen a bit under the radar at this point, being largely unseen due to its tendency to get completely walled by things like Salamence, Scizor, Skarmory and whatever else was in the tier. I figured it'd make for a great fit here, though; between its ability to force Grass-types in (and thus take massive Spikes damage), its Water-resistance helping to sponge hits from the Keldeos that railed my team otherwise and its capability to switch into Mew, Zarude was just the best fit for the team as a Grass-type. It doesn't have the same sustain the other Grass-types, Amoonguss and Tangrowth, have - Regenerator is fun and balanced after all - but it does come with a powerful pivot move and uniquely, phenomenal status absorption. This made it an excellent partner for my next Pokemon.

Infernal Catharsis (Moltres) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 88 HP / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Defog
- Roost
Moltres is one scary bird, being very tough to switch into in this era of UU. With lots of Mews being slower, they were liable to get 2HKOed by Hurricane, and outside of that Moltres could break through almost anything outside of Rock-types, of which there were only really Nihilego and Rhyperior. Defog was important despite my own team relying on a hazard-centric strategy as Spikes Mew was extremely oppressive (and if memory serves, Skarmory existed too in some capacity) and my team, while generally not -too- weak to it, didn't appreciate handling that very annoying cat. Moltres is also a good Zarude switch in thanks to the bulk investment and could handle other Pokemon like Conkeldurr and Mienshao to some extent, making it pretty effective in the role overall.

Infestation (Nihilego) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Protect​

Protect Nihilego rounded off this team by adding two important things. Firstly, it was a Stealth Rock setter. Secondly, it was a Rock-type that could actually switch into things, meaning it checked Salamence, Moltres, and Galarian Moltres, all of which had capabilities to beat this team down over time. Nihilego's great STAB combination meant that it didn't really need much coverage; there weren't many Steel-types that actually wanted to switch into it, and while most people went with Knock Off to cripple Aegislash, I found that my Moltres + Zarude core left me safe enough against the sword to justify Protect, which came in so clutch. Being able to heal off damage after switching into the aforementioned birds was huge in taking pressure off Mew, and allowing me to keep Stealth Rock up all game long to execute the team's gameplan to begin with. It was also an extra Pokemon that put pressure on Grass-types for Zarude and Lycanroc-D, which was super nice.

~~~​

Here's a replay of me using this in a tournament and getting owned - I can't really find any more, I know they're out there somewhere but it seems some are lost to time, rip.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8uu-566713

There's not much point in giving a threatlist or anything since this team's not even legal anymore, so instead I'd like to thank the people who've made my time on this site enjoyable enough to keep me around. I'm going to end up pinging half the site here LMAO but fuck it idc i love u all, i'm a very sentimental person in general and not including these would just feel wrong. if you don't get pinged here please don't sweat it, if you think there's any chance i consider you a friend then believe it or not: i probably do, i love everybody

Eve - <3
chlo Lumari martha umbry Sage TDK Juno ausma - besties and a bunch of dorks, i love u all so much i can't even begin to describe and it means so much to know you're all there for me whenever i need it. i would literally go to the ends of the earth for any of you so if you ever need anything please say so
holy moly there are way too many of you to ping... the whole council, all the barclay boomers, all the brainlet zoomers, everybody - you guys are such a huge irreplaceable part of my life. no matter how distant I become I know I always have a home in UU and like, that's cliché as shit, but that's so comforting to know. I genuinely read every message that gets sent in (almost) every channel and love to hear everything you guys say. I really appreciate you all so much. Shoutout to pia too, even though I'm not active there it's been a great source of new community members and both pokemonisfun and Aqua Jet do a great job running it. i wanted to ping vivalospride in particular but we share like no servers other than this one so here you go
im for sure not pinging everyone but the people who talk really often and bring me endless joy that havent already been pinged - btboy, CrashinBoomBang, Bouff, Vileman, Garay oak, TPP, august, obii, talah, Luthier, bruno, hopefully i didn't forget anyone but im challenging myself to not go down the members list - you guys are a huge social outlet for me and a group i'm super glad to have become part of. thank you for everything and i hope the server continues to flourish!!
things have been a bit quiet lately here but it's rare to see a group of people get along so well in general. Nat you are amazing and idk how you managed to make a drama free jerk but hey you did it, shoutout to all the dorks in there too Ajna Feliburn odr Chill Shadow Bebo etern and more that im definitely forgetting
I'm not the most active person in here year round but I definitely owe you guys a ton. I had such an amazing time last wcop and it's really all thanks to you guys, I didn't expect to mesh so well or be liked at all really being such a zoomer without a whole lot of OU knowledge but you guys took me in anyway and let me have the time of my life. I really can't wait to see the team this year, I know that blue is gonna be ours soon <3 special thanks to TonyFlygon and Mana in particular but I genuinely love you all
lots and lots more because wow there are so many important people to me on this site, s/o to the ppl in what-is-pogging, duckies, rats when that was alive, idols, and whatever the heck else im forgetting, I've written way too much now and wanna stop but chances are you've made my experience better in some way shape or form and I really appreciate that.

I think that's everything! I don't truly know what the future holds for me as far as Smogon goes but the only way to find out is by living it, so let's do that. I don't expect anyone to read all of this, but if you do I'll appreciate it a lot - I put a lot of effort into this post, and it was never gonna be what I really wanted it to be but that's okay. I'm sorry that the team isn't legal or even particularly flashy, but this was never about the team anyway, just the journey.

https://pokepast.es/e3560241c3dc43ff
Jolly Nature
- Accelerock
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs

Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled

Calm Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic

Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat
- U-turn
- Jungle Healing

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Defog
- Roost

Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Protect

peace out o7​

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
But in terms of tournament results and stuff, I've been like... good but not great.
wdym.... ur 2-0 in the prestigious om premier league in the best metagame (godly gift).....

on the real tho it was super fun to work with u for the start of bdsp, and i appreciate u letting me onto that team for a bit and for generally being easy to approach in pms for other issues, gl with whatever happens next :]

Originally, this RMT was going to essentially be a bible of SS UU's history, but it turns out I already wrote that. Go read it if you're interested!

As edgy as the title may be, I promise the rest of this post will be good vibes only >.>
Hello dear reader, welcome to what is going to be my 2000th Smogon post. A ridiculous number, frankly, given I've only got roughly two-and-a-half years of activity on the site! Averaging at like, three posts per day feels pretty insane since I don't feel like I do nearly that much; I guess you don't really see all the "in" and "won gg" posts add up until your number reaches something silly like mine. I didn't expect to end up reaching a number like this, well... ever, but especially not this soon. And being as basic and uncreative as I am, I decided to throw another team that's not even UU-legal into the RMT section just so I could write some things about my journey here and the people I've met along the way. So, without further ado, I present: The Tale of a Cruel World. Why did I name it that? No reason. I just like the OST.

and this beautiful artwork was created by the lovely, ever-talented ausma <3
It doesn't feel like it's only been a couple of years on here. While it feels like I've done very little, it also feels like I've done a lot. I've got regrets, as does everyone, but overall I think I've made a positive impact on this community as a whole and I hope others feel that way too. With that said, all things considered, I don't have many Pokemon-specific achievements on here. Sure, as far as contributions and stuff go, I did great - I was a good analysis writer, good poster, good moderator, and I like to think I was a good super moderator too before my recent resignation. On top of that I've been leading UU for over a year, and despite the ups and downs I think I've done a lot for the tier that wouldn't have happened if not for my presence. Do I think I've been perfect? No. Have I done a good job? Well... that's up to you to decide, but yeah I think I've been pretty solid. But in terms of tournament results and stuff, I've been like... good but not great. Decent UU team tour runs, a decent Snake 4 run, and a few individual tournament wins of mostly less-relevant tournaments minus the esteemed ADV PU TOURNAMENT, but nothing to really write home about. When you're "less noteworthy" like this (not to self-deprecate, lol, just saying I'm far from legendary) it's hard to gain an association. Some people are known as cheesers, some as amazing builders, et cetera, but I've never really had anything like that. So when I built this team, I really wanted it to "solve" the archetype I was going for - Mew Spikes, which were extremely powerful at the time. I don't think I quite got there, but this team did see massive success, and I'm proud of that.

To that end, I wanted something that a) matched up very well into the most prominent threats of the time, and b) had a good matchup against all forms of cheese playstyles that could be used against me like sun, screens and stall. Enter Lycanroc Dusk, and the rest of my building process.

~~~

Jolly Nature
- Accelerock
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs
Lycanroc-D was a huge sleeper threat that covered everything I wanted in a single slot. Between its powerful priority Accelerock that obliterated sun teams as well as Screens staples in Thundurus, Cloyster, Salamence and more, I was certain I wanted it on my team - it helped that it has fantastic synergy with Spikes in general, since they let it chip down and break through answers like Tangrowth easily. Crunch nailed Aegislash and Galarian Slowbro, two very prominent threats of the era, while Psychic Fangs was both amazing coverage for all of Amoonguss, Tentacruel and Nihilego and also a way to shatter screens easily. Lycanroc-D often performed as the team's final boss of sorts, mowing down weakened teams with ease thanks to its amazing coverage and Speed tier. It fit like a glove on this archetype.

Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled​

Specially defensive Mew was a demon of this time period that completely sat on a huge number of Pokemon, including opposing Nihilego, Nidoqueen, Moltres, Salamence and more. Knock Off + Will-O-Wisp crippled basically everything outside of Reuniclus, and its Spikes were just so difficult to remove because there were no hazard removers that actually wanted to switch into this thing. It supported Lycanroc-D and the rest of the team exceptionally well in this regard, forming a very solid hazard core with Nihilego which, at the time, was almost impossible to Defog on safely outside of... you guessed it, Defog Mew! Mew was almost banned because of how oppressively unkillable it was; this set is the main reason why.

Calm Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic​

Speaking of oppressive, the at-the-time recently released Aegislash made for a very nice fit on this team. Its typing was hugely important for staving off the likes of Galarian Slowbro, Reuniclus, Necrozma and opposing Mew, and its STAB combination alongside Toxic made it a real nightmare to take down. Things like Salamence and Celesteela would be forced to switch in and would just get broken down over time, an Aegislash would outlast them easily thanks to its Stealth Rock resistance and King's Shield making it immortal. It was also often forced to trade with the likes of Thundurus and Kommo-o, which it did admirably.

Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat
- U-turn
- Jungle Healing​

Zarude had fallen a bit under the radar at this point, being largely unseen due to its tendency to get completely walled by things like Salamence, Scizor, Skarmory and whatever else was in the tier. I figured it'd make for a great fit here, though; between its ability to force Grass-types in (and thus take massive Spikes damage), its Water-resistance helping to sponge hits from the Keldeos that railed my team otherwise and its capability to switch into Mew, Zarude was just the best fit for the team as a Grass-type. It doesn't have the same sustain the other Grass-types, Amoonguss and Tangrowth, have - Regenerator is fun and balanced after all - but it does come with a powerful pivot move and uniquely, phenomenal status absorption. This made it an excellent partner for my next Pokemon.

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Defog
- Roost
Moltres is one scary bird, being very tough to switch into in this era of UU. With lots of Mews being slower, they were liable to get 2HKOed by Hurricane, and outside of that Moltres could break through almost anything outside of Rock-types, of which there were only really Nihilego and Rhyperior. Defog was important despite my own team relying on a hazard-centric strategy as Spikes Mew was extremely oppressive (and if memory serves, Skarmory existed too in some capacity) and my team, while generally not -too- weak to it, didn't appreciate handling that very annoying cat. Moltres is also a good Zarude switch in thanks to the bulk investment and could handle other Pokemon like Conkeldurr and Mienshao to some extent, making it pretty effective in the role overall.

Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Protect​

Protect Nihilego rounded off this team by adding two important things. Firstly, it was a Stealth Rock setter. Secondly, it was a Rock-type that could actually switch into things, meaning it checked Salamence, Moltres, and Galarian Moltres, all of which had capabilities to beat this team down over time. Nihilego's great STAB combination meant that it didn't really need much coverage; there weren't many Steel-types that actually wanted to switch into it, and while most people went with Knock Off to cripple Aegislash, I found that my Moltres + Zarude core left me safe enough against the sword to justify Protect, which came in so clutch. Being able to heal off damage after switching into the aforementioned birds was huge in taking pressure off Mew, and allowing me to keep Stealth Rock up all game long to execute the team's gameplan to begin with. It was also an extra Pokemon that put pressure on Grass-types for Zarude and Lycanroc-D, which was super nice.

~~~​

Here's a replay of me using this in a tournament and getting owned - I can't really find any more, I know they're out there somewhere but it seems some are lost to time, rip.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8uu-566713

There's not much point in giving a threatlist or anything since this team's not even legal anymore, so instead I'd like to thank the people who've made my time on this site enjoyable enough to keep me around. I'm going to end up pinging half the site here LMAO but fuck it idc i love u all, i'm a very sentimental person in general and not including these would just feel wrong. if you don't get pinged here please don't sweat it, if you think there's any chance i consider you a friend then believe it or not: i probably do, i love everybody

Eve - <3
chlo Lumari martha umbry Sage TDK Juno ausma - besties and a bunch of dorks, i love u all so much i can't even begin to describe and it means so much to know you're all there for me whenever i need it. i would literally go to the ends of the earth for any of you so if you ever need anything please say so
holy moly there are way too many of you to ping... the whole council, all the barclay boomers, all the brainlet zoomers, everybody - you guys are such a huge irreplaceable part of my life. no matter how distant I become I know I always have a home in UU and like, that's cliché as shit, but that's so comforting to know. I genuinely read every message that gets sent in (almost) every channel and love to hear everything you guys say. I really appreciate you all so much. Shoutout to pia too, even though I'm not active there it's been a great source of new community members and both pokemonisfun and Aqua Jet do a great job running it. i wanted to ping vivalospride in particular but we share like no servers other than this one so here you go
im for sure not pinging everyone but the people who talk really often and bring me endless joy that havent already been pinged - btboy, CrashinBoomBang, Bouff, Vileman, Garay oak, TPP, august, obii, talah, Luthier, bruno, hopefully i didn't forget anyone but im challenging myself to not go down the members list - you guys are a huge social outlet for me and a group i'm super glad to have become part of. thank you for everything and i hope the server continues to flourish!!
things have been a bit quiet lately here but it's rare to see a group of people get along so well in general. Nat you are amazing and idk how you managed to make a drama free jerk but hey you did it, shoutout to all the dorks in there too Ajna Feliburn odr Chill Shadow Bebo etern and more that im definitely forgetting
I'm not the most active person in here year round but I definitely owe you guys a ton. I had such an amazing time last wcop and it's really all thanks to you guys, I didn't expect to mesh so well or be liked at all really being such a zoomer without a whole lot of OU knowledge but you guys took me in anyway and let me have the time of my life. I really can't wait to see the team this year, I know that blue is gonna be ours soon <3 special thanks to TonyFlygon and Mana in particular but I genuinely love you all
lots and lots more because wow there are so many important people to me on this site, s/o to the ppl in what-is-pogging, duckies, rats when that was alive, idols, and whatever the heck else im forgetting, I've written way too much now and wanna stop but chances are you've made my experience better in some way shape or form and I really appreciate that.

I think that's everything! I don't truly know what the future holds for me as far as Smogon goes but the only way to find out is by living it, so let's do that. I don't expect anyone to read all of this, but if you do I'll appreciate it a lot - I put a lot of effort into this post, and it was never gonna be what I really wanted it to be but that's okay. I'm sorry that the team isn't legal or even particularly flashy, but this was never about the team anyway, just the journey.

https://pokepast.es/e3560241c3dc43ff
Jolly Nature
- Accelerock
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs

Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled

Calm Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic

Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat
- U-turn
- Jungle Healing

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Defog
- Roost

Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Protect

peace out o7​
coolest rmt loved it!

Sulo

pure heroine
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
nice to see a fellow terraria lover

you're a great person to talk to and have been a phenomenal tl for uu so far. i hope theres much better things to come for you fren :blobuwu:

I genuinely appreciate you so much, I adore Terraria as I have beaten both modded and normal versions.

Again, I thank you so much for your time and effort for putting in music, and special art for your pokemon team!

Sincerely, colored_red .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)