The Suspects be leaving... (peaked 4th on Smogon University) Includes shoutouts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Some of you may know me for battling on the Little Cup ladder, some of you may know me via the Wifi forum, and some of you may know me for writing lots of Little Cup analyses back in the 4th generation.

Anyways, I think I'm going to retire this team now (or maybe a bit later), as Murkrow and Meditite are both very powerful Pokemon in the tier, and will probably be leaving the tier soon, and I decided that this would be a good time to start over with a new team.

This team has peaked number 4 on the leaderboard, and definitely would have gotten to number 1 if Al_Alchemist (AKA Pro_Alchemist) wasn't on the ladder all the time. It's a pretty solid team, and while the suspects may still be in the tier for a short period of time, I'd like to improve this as much as possible.

Without further ado, I'd like to welcome you to "The Suspects be leaving..." Little Cup RMT!

The team at a glance:

As you can see, my team utilizes three Pokemon (Scraggy, Murkrow, and Meditite), all which can heavily damage the opponent when the correct situation comes. The other three Pokemon are there to support or check threats, as well as helping out with sweeps. This team also has great offensive synergy, with every type being resisted.

Now lets see the Pokemon through the microscope:

Dwebble @ Oran Berry
Nickname: comatthew6
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake

Though I don't always lead with Dwebble, it still makes a great lead against lots of foes. It has Sturdy, which prevents it from getting OHKOed by any move, guaranteeing Stealth Rock on the opposing field, and often one or two layers of Spikes as well. Rock Blast gains STAB, and breaks through Substitutes which is surprisingly useful, and Earthquake gives great coverage with Rock Blast, hitting almost all Pokemon in the tier for neutral damage. I usually play Dwebble as a suicide lead (if it is used in the lead position), as hazards really help the team, and getting as many layers of hazards is crucial.

comatthew6 is a cool guy, just like Dwebble is a cool Pokemon, and is one of the best Little Cup players I know (I can safely say that to anyone who beats me). We both started writing Little Cup analyses in the 4th generation back in 2010, and we've both gone so far since then. Thank you for being a great friend and so supportive throughout! It's been really great having you around!

Frillish @ Evolution Stone
Nickname: Aerrow
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
Calm nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Surf
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Frillish is a very important Pokemon to the team. It checks many threats thanks to it's huge amount of bulk, as well as it's many resistances. Frillish is one of the Pokemon who is almost always alive, because of it's impressive defensive stats, coupled with Evolution Stone and Recover, means it is almost impossible to take down. Surf is a great move, having decent power and gaining STAB. Shadow Ball is for secondary STAB, and hits pesky Meditite hard, which is quite a threat in the metagame. Will-O-Wisp allows me to cripple physical sweepers, allowing my whole team to take it on easier, and Recover allows me to replenish Frillish's health. I rarely take risks with Frillish, because it can check quite a number of threats in today's metagame, and without Frillish, some threats will be able to run over my team much easier. If I feel Frillish will be threatened and KOed, I will switch it out almost all the time.

Aerrow is in charge of so many things, about the same amount of things Frillish checks on the opposing team! Aerrow is in charge of the LC analysis queues for both 4th and 5th generation Little Cup (which is hard work!), is on the Little Cup Quality Control team like me, and is also a great analysis writer. Aerrow is another great Little Cup player, and is also a really genuine person!

Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Nickname: Al_Alchemist
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Change
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire

Thanks to Magnemite's slightly above average Speed (15), it can hold a Choice Scarf, and be able to revenge kill many Pokemon. It is my only Choice Scarfed Pokemon on the team, and therefore is another Pokemon I tend to play carefully with, as set up sweepers can be dangerous if Magnemite is not there to check them with a powerful Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is Magnemite's main attack, having a relatively high base power, and STAB. Volt Change is mainly for scouting, and is still quite powerful when coming off of Magnemite's 19 Special Attack. The momentum gained is often crucial to my victory. Flash Cannon provides secondary STAB, and is used to hit Pokemon such as Gligar on the switch-in. Finally, Hidden Power Fire is for Ferroseed, which is so annoying, as my team hates hazards a lot. Ferroseed was actually the main reason I originally decided to include Magnemite on my team, as well as the fact that it had so many resistances.

Al_Alchemist is pro, just like Magnemite. Magnemite is a huge reason to my success on this team, which is the total opposite for Pro_Alchemist because he keeps on beating me. But in all seriousness, Pro_Alchemist is one of the only people who can beat me 90% of the time, and he certainly deserves a shout out! It was his birthday recently, and he made it to number 1 on the ladder, so congratulations!

Scraggy @ Evolution Stone
Nickname: Heysup
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 116 HP / 76 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Suspect number 1. Scraggy is no joke. With the given EV spread and Evolution Stone, Scraggy has 21 in both defenses, coupled with 23 HP means it is very hard to knock out unless you are a Fighting-type Pokemon. Dragon Dance is the best move on Scraggy, being able to turn it in to one of the most fearsome sweepers in the game with just one turn of set up. Drain Punch is Scraggy's main attack, boosted by STAB, and being able to heal itself. Crunch is stronger than Drain Punch, also gains STAB, and is mainly used to hit bulky Pokemon who don't care much about any of my other moves, such as Slowpoke and Frillish, both of which could easily halt my sweep. Ice Punch rounds up the coverage, and its main use is for hitting Gligar for a clean OHKO. Scraggy is usually sent in late-game when my opponent has lost all their Fighting-type Pokemon, as that is when it sweeps almost the entire metagame. I've tested both Moxie and Shed Skin, and I have to admit I like Moxie more. It allows Scraggy to sweep much easier, and since most Pokemon fear that it has Shed Skin, they don't bother hitting it with status.

Heysup is a boss, and so is Scraggy. Heysup is in charge of many things related to Little Cup, and really works hard. We've also battled a few times, and he's definitely a very tough opponent. He's also very high on the Little Cup leaderboard on Smogon, and is one of the most consistent battlers I see on the ladder. It's hard to be so high on the leaderboard, while also doing so much work here on Smogon. Heysup is also a nice guy to talk to (though we rarely talk), so thank you for being great!

Murkrow @ Evolution Stone
Nickname: Vader
Ability: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 20 Def / 20 SpD / 192 Spe
Jolly nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Substitute
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch

Murkrow is one hell of a Pokemon and I'm not joking. It is capable of demolishing many teams with just it's STAB moves, especially when paired with Magnemite, who removes all the Steel-types that would normally halt Murkrow's sweep, as well as bulky Slowpoke who choose not to attack! Substitute is a great move, especially when paired up with Mischievous Heart, often allows me to scout the opponent's moves, or give me much more space to predict. Roost is essential to Murkrow, as Substitute and Brave Bird will mean Murkrow will lose a lot of health just from it's own attacks. However, just because Brave Bird has recoil damage doesn't stop me from using it. Brave Bird is extremely powerful (120 Base Power + STAB), denting or OHKOing many Pokemon if they are not bulky. Sucker Punch provides a damage priority move, also has STAB, and is also powerful when backed by Murkrow's 19 Attack stat.

Vader is Little Cup himself, and therefore he is awesome. He accepted me onto the 5th generation Little Cup team, and is a funny person on IRC. He is another hard working moderator who does many things to make Little Cup what it is, albeit uploading analyses or helping with suspect tests. Overall, Vader is slightly under-appreciated, but I value your work, so thank you. Also, "I AM THE ROBOT GOD". Fun times on IRC!

Meditite @ Evolution Stone
Nickname: eric the espeon
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunderpunch
- Bullet Punch

Ah, we've come to the final Pokemon. Meditite claims the highest Attack stat in the entire tier (28!!!) thanks to Huge Power, meaning it can easily punch holes in the most bulky Pokemon that reside in the tier. Drain Punch is very powerful, gaining STAB, and often being able to heal Meditite back to full health. Zen Headbutt is a more powerful STAB move, and is used to hit opposing Fighting-type Pokemon hard, as well as it being my best option against Gligar. Thunderpunch is my way of dealing with Slowpoke, as with some hazards, I can 2HKO it. Bullet Punch provides me with useful priority, picking up weakened Pokemon, and even though it does not have STAB, any attack coming from 28 Attack is pretty powerful.

eric the espeon, the person who made Little Cup what it is today. We've talked many times on IRC, and you're a really great guy. You showed me many things, gave me advice, and I'd just like to thank you for shaping me, as I am now much better in Little Cup with your help. Also, thank you for giving Little Cup a new life, allowing many of us to enjoy the tier. It's obviously the best tier, so once again, thank you for everything you've done for me. I know you're busy with other things, and that you may no longer be available for C&C and other Little Cup related things, but just know that I appreciate everything you do, because it really means a lot to me.

Other awesome Little Cup people which couldn't be mentioned because only 6 Pokemon can be on a team:

-Charmander-
Skynet
TheFemaleTyrouge
Dubulous
Elevator Music
Mooo
NailsOU
GoldenKnight
macle
Darkamber8828
Alchemator

I can't remember anymore on the top of my head, so please remind me so I can add you to the list!

This is my RMT. Thank you for reading, and I hope I've inspired you to play Little Cup!

- ShinyAzelf

I like how you connected a person to the Pokemon, helped to explain the Poke. Team looks pretty solid (I should know, it 5-0's me everyday). 9/10

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I see a Drillbur weakness...

Just kidding, you just have to learn to Sucker Punch it heh.

Looks like a great team, I've lost to it at least twice. My only suggestion is to use Toxic over Earthquake on Dwebble since it stops the potentially game-threatening Gligar set up that could occur (since it will KO if your opponent also uses Dwebble and gets SR Spikes up). What does Earthquake hit?

This is a great team, good job! Just posting cause I got a shoutout, yay, thanks =)

also why am I using my 1k here

edit: good you took out chinchy now I can beat you ^_^

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
Amazing team, and I think you beat my team far more than you're saying ;D. Anyway, the only thing I could suggest is since you have a bit of a SD Gligar weakness (after Frillish is dead), there's a couple of things you could do to remedy this. Either adding Ice Beam on Frillish or Hidden Power [Ice] on Murkrow are probably the best options for dealing with Gligar better. Other than that looks very solid, considering that it beats my team a lot as well ;P. Thanks for the shout out.

@Al no he doesn't; he has Zuruggu too. Also, you can put HP Ice on Mag since you have two Fighting-types to beat Tesshiido.

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
@Al no he doesn't; he has Zuruggu too. Also, you can put HP Ice on Mag since you have two Fighting-types to beat Tesshiido.
Zuruggu has a chance of being OHKOd by a +2 Aerial Ace from a no attack investment Gligar and gets OHKOd on average by a +2 Aerial Ace from a 156 Atk investment Glig (16 Atk).

Edit:
But Swords Dance Gligar doesn't run Aerial Ace; defensive Gligar does to check Meditite and some others.
Uh, mine does, specifically for not being stopped by Meditite and Scraggy after a Swords Dance. Although, I do run a defensive Swords Dancer I guess.

Looks like a great team, I've lost to it at least twice. My only suggestion is to use Toxic over Earthquake on Dwebble since it stops the potentially game-threatening Gligar set up that could occur (since it will KO if your opponent also uses Dwebble and gets SR Spikes up). What does Earthquake hit?
Agreed ^
With that of Toxic over EQ, in most cases it can be a great team. Amazing job on this SA! :D

This is a great team, good job! Just posting cause I got a shoutout, yay, thanks =)
Suggestion: run more bulk on Ishu...Dwebble. It's supposed to hazard, not kill.

Also, does Surf on...(trying to get out of Jap names) Frillish do anything Boiling Water doesn't? Cuz if not...

Also, shouldn't you run more attack evs on Zuruggu to make use of the Moxie boosts?

Great team.

Thank you for reading, and I hope I've inspired you to play Little Cup!
I'm supposed to be doing homework, but...

Curse you.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just posting in acknowledgment of the shoutout; thanks! The team itself looks pretty solid at the moment (as demonstrated by your success with it), and the only suggestions I have are pretty trivial and minor, so I'll leave it at that. Great job, and good luck in the future, ShinyAzelf!

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
that's a pretty nice team you have there. Toxic on Ishizumai is probably the only suggestion that I would have since it's not going to do much damage anyways.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Shouuuutout :)
nice team, maybe zen headbutt over ice punch for annoying dokkora.

I think this set would be much better with Scraggy:

Scraggy @ Evolution Stone
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spe / 36 HP
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)
Ability: Shed Skin
Move 1: Rest
Move 2: Dragon Dance
Move 3: Drain Punch
Move 4: Crunch

After one Dragon Dance, Scraggy's stats become 21 HP / 28 Atk / 20 on both Defenses / and the magic number 21 Spe, making him a bulky and deadly sweeper with Rest and Shed Skin, giving him some instant HP, meaning the only Pokemon that will stand in his way are Croagunk, who is easily handled by Meditite.

And since Murkrow is banned, you should replace him with Zubat, as he is a great partner with Magnemite, and he could be a scout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)