The Player: Issue 1 released!

Who do you want to see interviewed next?

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Darnell

Votes: 67 31.2%
  • Electrolyte

Votes: 21 9.8%
  • Goddess Briyella

Votes: 62 28.8%
  • Layell

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Sunako

Votes: 21 9.8%
  • TalkTakesTime

Votes: 28 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello all! Issue 1 of The Player is now out! This is our first issue, hopefully of many. It includes 10 articles and makes a fine read! Above you will find the poll to vote for the next staff interview which will be featured in issue 2. Be sure to comment in this thread with your favourite article and any other thoughts you have on the issue. We'd also like to thank all of this issue's contributors as they did a fantastic job with preparing the content, whether it was through writing, checking, drawing, or HTMLing.

We hope you enjoy it!

~ Scene and Vacate

Editors' Notes said:
Welcome to the very first issue of The Player! In the past few months, we've come a long way from the webzine's inception to now. This issue features 10 articles (including this piece) as well as some fantastic cover art by Blue Frog, who also created the webzine's logo. This issue's design is all in blue—the primary color of PS too. Quarkz and Quinella assisted with creating the issue layout (they added the sliding effect) and we'll be looking to improve on that in the coming issues.

This particular issue includes MattL's first volume of The Gossiper, a satirical take on events on PS, Electrolyte's analysis on the weird and wonderful usernames on PS, and an interview with Leader and an editor of this publication, Scene, as voted by the public poll. Issue 1 also contains various guides as well as a look at all the news and promotions within the last month on the sim.

We hope you enjoy this issue and we look forward to the feedback!

Regime

the party is December 18th
is an Artist Alumnus
This turned out awesome. I would like to thank fellow contributors on their determination and hardwork! Each one of you made a difference in the release of the Player, and hopefully will keep the webzine going for further issues. Good job all of you.

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Really liked how the webzine was coded and how some articles had multiple pieces of art!

The webzine looks really weird on mobile though:

it does this on both chrome and safari :I (I'm on an iPhone)

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Really liked how the webzine was coded and how some articles had multiple pieces of art!

I'm glad you liked it! This article is a huge success, hopefully starting a trend for the rest of them :) It was a pleasure writing for the Player~

For the phone problem- Smogon isn't really made to be compatible for phones, so sometimes pages load weirdly. There isn't really anything we can do about it right now, so I'm afraid you'll just have to look at it from a computer or larger tablet

Quarkz

dGltZSBmb3IgbWUgdG8gbW92ZSBvbg==
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A massive congratulations to everyone involved, I think this issue turned out great and I am looking forward to working on this next issue. Big thanks to everyone involved for making this such a good experience!

Hi! I will echo the point that Electrolyte made above, Smogon isn't fully mobile optimized and we did not make this magazine layout with mobile devices in mind, unfortunately. I encourage you to use a computer with a modern browser such as Chrome or Firefox to get the best experience. I may consider making some optimizations to the mobile side of things for next issue as I am aware that a good portion of users will be viewing it on a mobile device. The problem is though is that it is hard to cater for all devices and so I cannot guarantee that it will look good for all users. On my phone for example, the page is different to how it looks like on yours. I'll have a go at it later today/tomorrow maybe.

So glad I was able to help out with this issue! Honestly, the amount of contributions are ridiculous (and I mean that in a good way!), and I hope we get even more soon. n_n!

Will look forward to contributing more and more. :>

Zodiax

not this
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
Looks incredible, well done to everyone who contributed for Issue 1 and may there be more great articles in the future!

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
fun contributing things were fun; big ups to scene and vacate for starting and running this so smoothly. also, nothing about the poll yet? :(

Quarkz

dGltZSBmb3IgbWUgdG8gbW92ZSBvbg==
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Arhops and anyone else interested

A mobile version of The Player issue homepage has now been implemented! It should work a lot better on mobile devices and be more mobile friendly (though it's not perfect). Big thanks to Quinella who helped a lot with code optimizations and answering queries and Scene for getting it onsite.

If you guys now go onto the page using a mobile device then a new client for mobile devices should automatically appear. If you still want to use the desktop client or if there is a mistake, you can easily switch between the two using the button located at the bottom of the page. Please let me know if there are any bugs and/or suggestions and I will do my best to correct them for you!

scalarmotion

sit, fetch, micro
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Maybe make the entire summary/box clickable? Right now you have to click the tiny title to get through to the article which is pretty hard on mobile

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I was too lazy didn't get a chance to contribute this time, unfortunately. Hopefully I can get to it next issue ;) Good work everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)