Entertainment The origin of the Pokemon universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's face it: in recent issues of The Smog, the Entertainment section has become rather bland. My idea for an article is something that would help to give it some life again. It is not a humour article; rather, it is a theory on how the Pokemon universe came into being, told in the style of a narrative. It would also be a bit of a parody/satire of the creation story in the Bible.

Now, the only issue I could see with it is that I actually posted a theory on the Pokemon universe origin on Smogon; however, it never appeared in The Smog, only in an Orange Islands thread, and I doubt many people saw it. Of course, if I were to get approval, the story to go in The Smog would absolutely not be copy/pasted - I would make numerous edits to it, both closing up holes in the theory and making it read better.

A very basic outline of the story:

-Arceus emerges from an egg before all else, and creates Dialga and Palkia. Dialga sets time in motion, while Palkia causes space to expand in all directions. Arceus fills the universe with stars and planets. Then Arceus creates Giratina to rule the Distortion World, which acts as a backbone to the universe.

-The First Age: On one particular planet, Arceus creates an atmosphere with its breath, and creates Mew, who is given the power to create life. Arceus also creates Kyogre, who fills the planet with oceans to support life. In this age, the Earth Pokemon planet is flooded.

-The Second Age: Arceus creates Groudon (Mew cannot create legendary Pokemon; only regular ones), to dry up the world. The aquatic Pokemon go into hiding, some becoming extinct, and terrestrial Pokemon dominate.

-The Third Age: Arceus brings Kyogre out of hibernation with the intent that it will live in harmony with Groudon, but they have a never-ending quarrel which causes Arceus to create Rayquaza. It is at this time that Kyogre and Groudon change from their Primal forms to their regular forms. Mew creates jungles, polar regions, mountains, forests, etc. in the now-balanced world.

-The creation of spirit and the first human: The Pokemon in this early world are still little more than mindless drones with basic survival instinct, so Arceus creates Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf as its last duty. They fly, inspiring the Pokemon of the world to experience emotions and become stronger. Furthermore, Mew combines its powers with those of the Lake Trio to create imagination, which is endowed in a <humanoid Pokemon> to create the first human.

I can also work the roles of minor legendary Pokemon into the story, but I can easily omit them if it would make the article too long or wordy.

I see where you're coming from, but I'd say that part of entertaining is originality. The Smog tends to prioritize original content, and "Pokemon timelines" aren't really a new idea (heck, Bulbapedia has one similar enough in spirit to this). This is probably a no from me unless you can prove you're able to put a unique spin on your version.

It would also be a bit of a parody/satire of the creation story in the Bible.
This is a shaky idea; I'd discourage referencing any real-life religion(s) at all. Too often, it's taboo.

I'll tag these guys and see what they think. Bummer Layell

Thank you for your feedback - I can see your concerns. I promise that I will do my best to make the timeline unique.

As for referencing real-life religions, perhaps I worded my description poorly. While it would be written in the style of a creation story, it would not directly reference any real-life religions in any way, and I will try hard to absolutely minimize indirect references.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
the post in question, btw

Honestly, this would be far from Entertaining (history tend to be a natural victim of that) and more of a overview of the Pokemon universe as we know it. Like PoM said, Bulbapedia covers that timeline fairly well too (but is less of a reading experience), and the fact that you did post this earlier, one of our core rules regarding the publication of our articles has been broken. If I were to approve this, I'd like to see 1) this labelled as Other Features, since this isn't meant to be primarily entertaining and our other categories don't cover it, and 2) you'd have to go more indepth than merely telling the basic gist of the story, and instead ellaborate on the possible reasons why some things occurred and the possible theories behind the various purpose of the legendaries you plan to cover. That second requirement may be a bit blurry, but I don't see much point of hosting such an article if the author doesn't bring anything new to the table, as most of the players who has played the game is either familiar with the origin or at least aren't surprised by its lore.

Edit: Alternatively, you may choose to break this up into parts (although note that writing one doesn't mean that the other parts has the same approval).

Last edited:
Thanks, Bummer.

Your points are all very fair; I think when I posted my idea for approval I was unclear of the exact standards, and I just feel I wouldn't be able to meet the standards. So, with all due respect, I'd like to put this idea away.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright. If you have any other idea later down the road that you'd like to put into an article, feel free to present it to us then too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)