The Next Best Thing - Croagunk

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
If Croagunk learned hypnosis, i'd put that and nothing else and win bcuz all hail hypnotoad. But on a more serious note, I hate when croagunk gets itself magically walled by this annoying physically bulky monster named slowpoke and then i ragequit cuz the guy gets the crit psychic bcuz it matters obviously. But no more shall he be plagued by the fear o slowpoke....or hippopotas....well mebbe still hippo but it beats slowpoke so it's gud trust me. Without further ado...NP Croagunk

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Trait: Dry Skin
Level: 5
EVs: 188 SAtk / 196 Spd / 116 Def
Timid/Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Vacuum Wave
- Sludge Bomb/Focus blast

Here's how you work with Np gunk
step #1 Nasty plot
step #2 beat unsuspecting slowpoke
step #3 sweep

Now for a lot of my setup sweepers, they require hazard support because one boosted move isn't always enough to OHKO. Timid means you need more support, but easier cleaning, while modest requires less suppport, but more chance of getting revenged
+2 188+ SpA Croagunk Shadow Ball vs. 116 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Slowpoke: 22-26 (81.48 - 96.29%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes
Slowpoke is dead
+2 188 SpA Croagunk Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Snover: 26-32 (118.18 - 145.45%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Snover stands no chance
+2 188 SpA Croagunk Focus Blast vs. 164 HP / 236 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Tirtouga: 27-33 (112.5 - 137.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Meh @ support tirt
+2 188 SpA Croagunk Sludge Bomb vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Larvesta: 16-21 (69.56 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Larvesta will die to flare blitz recoil or if you get a min roll, recoil+ v-wave
+2 188 SpA Croagunk Shadow Ball vs. 236 HP / 76+ SpD Eviolite Frillish: 14-18 (56 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
frillish can't do anything back

+2 188 SpA Croagunk Focus Blast vs. 156 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 25-30 (108.69 - 130.43%) -- guaranteed OHKO

that^^^ surprised me actually
+2 188 SpA Croagunk Focus Blast vs. 228 HP / 60 SpD Eviolite Lileep in sand: 24-30 (92.3 - 115.38%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO
and last bulkeh mon that can't handle the heat

NP Gunk struggles against wooper, natu 1-on-1, not on the switch, and the ever-present abra, but it helps more than it hurts and tears up some annoying bulky regen cores. Wat? there are MORE pokemon you want to see? 3 more, in fact? oh, i c where ur gettin at

+2 188 SpA Croagunk Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Misdreavus: 16-20 (72.72 - 90.9%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 188 SpA Croagunk Vacuum Wave vs. -1 76 HP / 0 SpD Clamperl: 16-21 (76.19 - 100%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 188 SpA Croagunk Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Murkrow: 15-18 (68.18 - 81.81%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
they all die. Croagunk Hits a majority of LC hard at +2, pwns at +4, and pretty much DDoS's at +6.
Croagunk has a really wide movepool to work with, so there were a lot of tings i could've done, but the best things in life are the nastiest, so I plotted that out (pls don't hang me for that joke)

Croagunk @ Eviolite
EVs: 212 HP / 28 Atk / 116 Def / 116 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Sucker Punch/Rock Slide
- Drain Punch

Sub is great for stuff like Foongus/Frillish that will try to para/sleep/burn you and then sets up on them as they don't have a way to take down gunk's subs. Drain Punch is STAB and provides some recovery. Sucker Punch hits Misdreavus and stuff like that but requires prediction. Rock Slide is great for stuff like Larvesta if you'd like to hit those instead

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Croagunk @ Eviolite
EVs: 132 HP / 108 Atk / 36 Def / 108 SAtk / 116 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Fake Out / Shadow Ball
- Vacuum Wave
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch

Simple but this is a fantastic lure for Larvesta and SubRoost Murkrow. I pair this Croagunk with Timburr as Croagunk can remove these two threats that stop Timburr sweeping late game. The given EVs allow Croagunk to deal 50% to SubRoost Krow with Rock Slide and 25% with Vacuum Wave (50% if it roosts) meaning that you can always KO the switch in with Rocks up or with 25% prior damage. So yeah, basically Rock Slide is cool move on Gunk and allows it to beat 2 common switch ins.

Last edited:
Croagunk (M) @ Eviolite
EVs: 196 Spd / 188 Atk / 124 SDef
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Ice Punch/Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch

This croagunk's set purpose is to get in on something slower/a resisted attack and set up a sub. From there, you Focus Punch for great damage or Sucker Punch pokemon that resist fighting. With this set u can set up on Chinchou and 2HKO it. Gunk Shot is there for hitting snovers while not behind a sub, while also denting foongus 2HKOing it after spikes. It also nearly OHKO's Shroomish but you can set a sub on it anyways. Sucker Punch hits Misdreavus while you are behind a substitute and also definitely 2HKO's max def. Slowpoke.

Here are some interesting calcs:
188 Atk Croagunk Focus Punch vs. 76 HP / 132+ Def Eviolite Chinchou: 13-16 (52 - 64%)
chinchou can't do anything back since it carries Scald as it's only attack.

188 Atk Croagunk Focus Punch vs. 132 HP / 212+ Def Eviolite Hippopotas: 9-12 (36 - 48%) -- 9.77% chance to 2HKO after Spikes
if it comes in as you sub then you safely go for a Focus Punch as it whirlwinds/EQ's and then switch to an appropriate check.

As you see, hazards support is also very useful.

Edit: added Ice punch as an alternative to Gunk Shot and put some SDef EV's

Last edited:
Croagunk (M) @ Eviolite
EVs: 196 Spd / 188 Atk / 124 SAtk
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch

This croagunk's set purpose is to get in on something slower/a resisted attack and set up a sub. From there, you Focus Punch for great damage or Sucker Punch pokemon that resist fighting. With this set u can set up on Chinchou and 2HKO it. Gunk Shot is there for hitting snovers while not behind a sub, while also denting foongus 2HKOing it after spikes. It also nearly OHKO's Shroomish but you can set a sub on it anyways. Sucker Punch hits Misdreavus while you are behind a substitute and also definitely 2HKO's max def. Slowpoke.

Here are some interesting calcs:
188 Atk Croagunk Focus Punch vs. 76 HP / 132+ Def Eviolite Chinchou: 13-16 (52 - 64%)
chinchou can't do anything back since it carries Scald as it's only attack.

188 Atk Croagunk Focus Punch vs. 132 HP / 212+ Def Eviolite Hippopotas: 9-12 (36 - 48%) -- 9.77% chance to 2HKO after Spikes
if it comes in as you sub then you safely go for a Focus Punch as it whirlwinds/EQ's and then switch to an appropriate check.

As you see, hazards support is also very useful.
Uh chinchou also can run thunder bolt, discharge and volt switch. Your lack of special investment can get you 2hkoed I believe or you lose a sub and focus punch puts a big dent in it. But other than that nice set.

Croagunk (M) @ Eviolite
EVs: 196 Spd / 188 Atk / 124 SAtk
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch
124 SAtk on a set with no special attacks. :O I'd suggest swapping out Gunk Shot for Ice Punch, 70% accuracy will definitely hurt you against something like Subsitute Misdreavus.

Actually the Sp.Atk. EV's were before i changed the set... I had vacuum wave on it but decided it wasn't worth it. I'll fix my post and add Ice Punch as an alternative which sounds pretty good!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)