the name

wasnt "the competitive mafia hub" added so that this shows up when people search for mafia in google or something along those lines
no idea if it worked but psure that was the reasoning behind it, although I agree that it does sounds kinda strange

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
for the record i just googled both "forum mafia" and "smogon mafia"

nothing even remotely smogon related came up for the former, and the latter turned up basically everything EXCEPT the circus main page (among other things, the mafia archive on shaym.in and Da Letter El's profile were both present)

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Rssp is right on the reasoning I agree we ought to change the name again but I do think we should pick something that does show up on a google search (maybe something like Circus Maximus: Online Mafia and Forum Games?)

maybe it being "competitive mafia" is making it not show up in google searches for just "mafia"? It could just be that nobody has "competitive mafia" as a keyword on their sites so it brings us up when that is searched for

i'm just saying but i get the sense that the majority of new users we get into circus aren't from randoms searching up mafia on the internet but from ppl who are already on smogon. i mean i personally found circus only because i was already on smogon for competitive mons. i think that's the same for a lot of ppl here (eg wifier yeti, zorbees, Haruno, ppl from the showdown! mafia room, etc).

i think focusing on users who are already on this site is more important than the off chance that a random person finds us through google search. that's why i'd be more in favor of something simple like Circus Maximus: Forum Games and not worrying about google search.

I agree with Jalmont but I lean more toward titles like Mafia and Other Forum Games because we do mafia more regularly than anything else and even for people on the site it's useful to emphasize that aspect

i mean mafia is a forum game tho and it's not like most ppl on smogon know what MAFIA even is (i sure didn't...). i'd like to keep the circus name too because i think it gives the subforum a personality beyond just forum games which you can play on any forum. saying "circus" is the same thing as saying "smogon's forum games" and it gives us an identity on smogon itself.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
i think i found the community from following katya who followed jumpluff onto smogon and getting into irc fluo mafia, i had been here for vgc as well.

so i def dont think a forum search is really how people get attracted to circus

yeah its probably a good idea to change the name since it probably isnt that effective at doing what its supposed to do right now

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
It's interesting to wonder what type of people would google competitive mafia, and then decide a pokemon forum is the best bet.
pretty much this. lets stick to attracting people from smogon to playing, if we can nail smogon's userbase we really don't need to bother with looking offsite for anyone.

Alright let's go for something simple like "forum games joint" or "forum games stadium". What other words you can use to call a place that you hang out with friends?
or we can go big

CIRCUS MAXIMUS: FORUM GAMES UNLIMITED

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
for the record i just googled both "forum mafia" and "smogon mafia"

nothing even remotely smogon related came up for the former, and the latter turned up basically everything EXCEPT the circus main page (among other things, the mafia archive on shaym.in and Da Letter El's profile were both present)
I mean I'm basically smogon mafia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)