The Monsters We Crave: Pokemon and Monster Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abstract: In the monster-filled world of Pokemon, there was an absence. Players considered the characters childish, and sought to live out a more sinister fantasy. The game's designers paid attention to these cues, and introduced the Dark/Ghost-type hybrid in the game's second generation. There was now a Pokemon with no weaknesses allowing players to take part in a more aggressive, domination-based experience. The subsequent introduction of an additional Dark/Ghost-type in the fifth generation fully filled this void as the game had a Pokemon described as 'evil' for the first time. Even in a fantasy world, the new characters defy what is possible. Cohen's Monster Theses suggest that these Pokemon serve to allow for more aggressive gameplay as they fully embody the spirit of the monster. Players craved these characters as cultures crave and create monsters, and the designers of the Pokemon universe delivered in kind.

Reasoning:

Jeffrey Jerome Cohen penned an essay entitled, "Monster Culture (Seven Theses)" as part of a larger anthology published in 1996. Using this work as a basis, I sought to analyze the introduction of the Dark/Ghost-typing (and Dark-typing by extension), in a University of Massachusetts - Department of History-approved Senior Independent Research Project.

I spent four months researching Monster Theory, Pokemon Theory, nearly every word uttered from the mouths of our beloved universe's creators - and I'd like the opportunity to share my findings with the community.

I hope that my article, if accepted, will incite others to create and share articles with a more academic audience in mind, while upping the legitimacy of our publication in the community - which is not to say we need it!

Please note, my article was written years ago. I've moved along to a career in finance, which is to say - I'm now a better writer. I will happily submit it as is, but if the idea is accepted, I'd like to submit a revised draft. The project did receive an A in its current form, however. :)

This sounds amazing. It would certainly be a unique feature, and I know I'd like to read it. Just wondering: roughly (just a ballpark, don't need an exact wordcount) how long would this be, and how long would the revised draft take you in theory? I'd be very interested in including this personally. Also, since you're the author, we would be allowed to reproduce it (or the revised draft), yes?

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wow.. This sounds pretty deep. Can't wait to read it. Support, not that you need it.

Thanks for the support.

The draft as written is eleven double-spaced pages. I imagine I could trim that down quite a bit, revised by the end of the weekend unless we've got an impending deadline.

The piece can certainly be reproduced.

Alrighty, approved! ^_^ I'm not worried if it's longer than the average article as this certainly isn't the average article, haha. :) Let us know if we need to make special layout accommodations, to add in real name credits, anything like that, etc.

Please go here and apply for The Smog Access. Once you've done that, post here letting us know and one of us will approve you and give you the rest of the instructions. :D

You should now have access to the Article Workshop forum under The Smog main forum. ^_^ Go and read the What Are We Doing? sticky thread and post that you'll be working on this article, then get started as soon as you're ready. Remember:

1) Get your stuff done on time. If there's ever a situation that comes up, talk with The Smog Staff, and we'll make accommodations. The key here is communication; we need to hear from you if something is up that will prevent you from meeting the deadline.

2) Don't leak any of our stuff until the release happens. This includes art and any other information. If you ever want feedback on your work or have questions, you can join us in #thesmog on IRC (if you don't have IRC, you can PM me or another staffer on the forums and I'll give you a link).

Thank you for your application! If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask The Smog Staff or any of The Smog mentors (of which I am one) for advice! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)