Social The MK Hype

tendokiddo

Banned deucer.
Hey everyone! Sorry for being less active, I've just been busy making videos and schoolwork. Anyway, I'm now back so, yeah!
Anyways, here is a new idea for all of y'all Pokemon fans! The MK Hype! It's an area where you can talk all about Mario Kart! Enjoy the topic! Please don't spam on here! Oh yeah, does anyone agree that Nintendo hasn't announced wave 5 in a while? Anyone agree?

Hype indeed my friend! I am stoked for the impending Mortal Kombat announcement. I'm personally hoping we get Master Chief in the next game. He's been a fan-favorite for Lord knows how long. Just imagine the trailer. We start on a dark planet in space... Twitch chat is going wild... And finally we hear it: "War... War Never Changes" as a battle rifle is shoved through the body of Ryu. It would be a true "everyone is here" moment.

Anyway, don't worry about your inactivity. The backup posters are always willing to pick up some slack. Just don't make a habit out of it and the mods will be cool about it. Hadouuuuken!

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I've been a lifelong Mario Kart fan ever since picking up Mario Kart DS in the late 2000s as a young kid, and while I was far from good at the game for several years, I'm now at a point where I have access to playing every game in the main console lineup (SMK through Tour, although I recently dropped Tour in exchange for the Booster Course Pass DLC) and can confidently say that I feel like I'm playing better now than I ever have before. It says a lot about my views on online gaming culture when Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is one of only three games I play online multiplayer on anymore, and it's easily the one of the three I have the most enjoyment with- provided the competition isn't exactly stiff. Something just kind of clicks for me with the Mario Kart series that no other game has been able to replicate, so much so that I'd even say they're more enjoyable for me than a lot of the Super Mario platformers.

In its current state, Mario Kart is far from a perfect franchise. We have yet to see Double Dash ever be rereleased on a newer console as of the time I'm writing this (I would expect it to eventually show up on Nintendo Switch Online's Expansion Pack at a later date, much like 64 and Super Circuit), the Battle Mode could use some improvements to get more people to play it consistently, and perhaps most infamous, we haven't seen a new main series home console release since the Wii U release of Mario Kart 8 in back in May of 2014. While I'm entirely satisfied with the Booster Course Pass containing an entire game's worth of content in place of a new 2022 game for the Switch, I remain excited to see where the Mario Kart I.P. can go from here in regards to new gameplay features, content variety, and more potential crossovers.

For anyone interested, here's a full list of I.P.s/series Mario Kart has collaborated with so far:

• Donkey Kong Country in every main series game since Mario Kart 64
  • Pac-Man (Arcade games)
  • Tamagotchi (Arcade games)
  • R.O.B (Mario Kart DS)
  • F-Zero (Mario Kart Wii, 8, & 8 Deluxe)
  • I guess you could also include Super Smash Bros. on this list, but that would be the other way around
  • The Legend of Zelda (Mario Kart 8 & 8 Deluxe)
  • Animal Crossing (Mario Kart 8 & 8 Deluxe)
  • Splatoon (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe- note the 2015 game on Wii U hadn't released in time for the original Mario Kart 8)
  • Yoshi's Island (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe BCP)

I've been a lifelong Mario Kart fan ever since picking up Mario Kart DS in the late 2000s as a young kid, and while I was far from good at the game for several years, I'm now at a point where I have access to playing every game in the main console lineup (SMK through Tour, although I recently dropped Tour in exchange for the Booster Course Pass DLC) and can confidently say that I feel like I'm playing better now than I ever have before. It says a lot about my views on online gaming culture when Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is one of only three games I play online multiplayer on anymore, and it's easily the one of the three I have the most enjoyment with- provided the competition isn't exactly stiff. Something just kind of clicks for me with the Mario Kart series that no other game has been able to replicate, so much so that I'd even say they're more enjoyable for me than a lot of the Super Mario platformers.

In its current state, Mario Kart is far from a perfect franchise. We have yet to see Double Dash ever be rereleased on a newer console as of the time I'm writing this (I would expect it to eventually show up on Nintendo Switch Online's Expansion Pack at a later date, much like 64 and Super Circuit), the Battle Mode could use some improvements to get more people to play it consistently, and perhaps most infamous, we haven't seen a new main series home console release since the Wii U release of Mario Kart 8 in back in May of 2014. While I'm entirely satisfied with the Booster Course Pass containing an entire game's worth of content in place of a new 2022 game for the Switch, I remain excited to see where the Mario Kart I.P. can go from here in regards to new gameplay features, content variety, and more potential crossovers.

For anyone interested, here's a full list of I.P.s/series Mario Kart has collaborated with so far:

• Donkey Kong Country in every main series game since Mario Kart 64
  • Pac-Man (Arcade games)
  • Tamagotchi (Arcade games)
  • R.O.B (Mario Kart DS)
  • F-Zero (Mario Kart Wii, 8, & 8 Deluxe)
  • I guess you could also include Super Smash Bros. on this list, but that would be the other way around
  • The Legend of Zelda (Mario Kart 8 & 8 Deluxe)
  • Animal Crossing (Mario Kart 8 & 8 Deluxe)
  • Splatoon (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe- note the 2015 game on Wii U hadn't released in time for the original Mario Kart 8)
  • Yoshi's Island (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe BCP)
Thank you for this detailed post explaining your history with Mario Kart. Can you please go into more detail on your opinions of online gaming? I'm afraid I don't understand your views based on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe being just one of three games you play online. Is it that you enjoy playing against or with the company of children? Anyway, I would not expect to see Mario Kart Double Dash on the Nintendo Switch gaming console. There are currently no Nintendo GameCube games on the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pass so I don't understand your logic behind this being the first. There are a bunch of old Mario games on the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pass yet there's no indication that Super Mario Sunshine would appear on the service. It's really interesting to me that the majority of IP Mario Kart has collaborated with thus far have all been Nintendo exclusives. Speaking of, it would be really cool to see Master Chief in Mario Kart. Nintendo and Microsoft have been pretty close lately, probably because they recognize that Sony makes bad games, so it would be cool to see them collaborate here. Just imagine playing Mario Kart 10 at 4K120FPS on the Xbox Series X. Wow.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Thank you for this detailed post explaining your history with Mario Kart. Can you please go into more detail on your opinions of online gaming? I'm afraid I don't understand your views based on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe being just one of three games you play online. Is it that you enjoy playing against or with the company of children? Anyway, I would not expect to see Mario Kart Double Dash on the Nintendo Switch gaming console. There are currently no Nintendo GameCube games on the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pass so I don't understand your logic behind this being the first. There are a bunch of old Mario games on the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pass yet there's no indication that Super Mario Sunshine would appear on the service. It's really interesting to me that the majority of IP Mario Kart has collaborated with thus far have all been Nintendo exclusives. Speaking of, it would be really cool to see Master Chief in Mario Kart. Nintendo and Microsoft have been pretty close lately, probably because they recognize that Sony makes bad games, so it would be cool to see them collaborate here. Just imagine playing Mario Kart 10 at 4K120FPS on the Xbox Series X. Wow.
Online gaming has a number of smaller issues, but the biggest one for me is how the active development of games centered around multiplayer takes away from people who might be looking for a more casual single player experience. Don’t get me wrong. There are several great single player games on the market right now. But with multiplayer games in general, especially online ones, how fun these games can be is often contingent upon how active the game’s player base is. As games get older, people will inevitably move on to newer installments. With single player content, this isn’t a problem. Older games will always a point of contention in this industry, but what’s the point of playing older online multiplayer at all if barely anyone else is going to join you?

As far as Nintendo Switch Online is concerned: while GameCube games are not currently included on the service, we know thanks to Super Mario 3D All-Stars that the Nintendo Switch can at least handle GameCube and Wii emulation. Knowing we just got the Game Boy family of systems available to emulate on the service back in February, I wouldn’t expect to see another Nintendo Switch Online emulator released for another nine months at the earliest. That being said, the most likely candidates for a new emulator would be for either the GameCube (with the Wii coming sometime after that) or another third-party console in a similar manner to the Sega Genesis emulator. I would expect games like Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, and Luigi’s Mansion to be among the first to join the new lineup if a GameCube emulator is released.

Online gaming has a number of smaller issues, but the biggest one for me is how the active development of games centered around multiplayer takes away from people who might be looking for a more casual single player experience. Don’t get me wrong. There are several great single player games on the market right now. But with multiplayer games in general, especially online ones, how fun these games can be is often contingent upon how active the game’s player base is. As games get older, people will inevitably move on to newer installments. With single player content, this isn’t a problem. Older games will always a point of contention in this industry, but what’s the point of playing older online multiplayer at all if barely anyone else is going to join you?

As far as Nintendo Switch Online is concerned: while GameCube games are not currently included on the service, we know thanks to Super Mario 3D All-Stars that the Nintendo Switch can at least handle GameCube and Wii emulation. Knowing we just got the Game Boy family of systems available to emulate on the service back in February, I wouldn’t expect to see another Nintendo Switch Online emulator released for another nine months at the earliest. That being said, the most likely candidates for a new emulator would be for either the GameCube (with the Wii coming sometime after that) or another third-party console in a similar manner to the Sega Genesis emulator. I would expect games like Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, and Luigi’s Mansion to be among the first to join the new lineup if a GameCube emulator is released.
Very interesting and thoughtful post, thank you. I'm not sure I agree with your sentiment on multiplayer games, however. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is still active because it is the most recent entry of Mario Kart on the latest Nintendo home console. Contrast this with games designed with multiplayer in mind, where there will be active development on the game until a sequel project comes along. I would also argue the biggest issue with online gaming is the community. I can't tell you how many times I get made fun of in online multiplayer lobbies. Be it my name, my voice, or some other innocuous reasoning (a guy once laughed at me for excusing myself for a bathroom break) there is a general delinquency that seems to attract particular individuals to specific games. I've found this most present in the Call of Duty, FIFA, and NBA 2K games, but it's been making it's way into games like Roblox and Armored Kingdom: Knights of the 18th Century. This has caused me to play more simulation and map-based games (Civilization, anyone?) Ignorance and bullying is much less prominent in these communities and I find they're far more inclusive, perhaps because there is a specific IQ required to perform well in these games.

tendokiddo

Banned deucer.
So I read the comments on here and, lol, this isn't Mortal Kombat. It's Mario Kart, dingbats! Well, now that we've got that out of the way, Hype away!

Wait, don't hurt me because I called y'all dingbats!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)