Lifestyle The Mirage of Uber's LGPTQ+ Pride Option

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
1697551616728.png

Uber has introduced a feature for people to opt in on an LGPTQ+-friendly driver. The intention behind this feature was to create a safe driving experience for the community. However, I feel like it was one of these "Oh I think this would help support (very "positive" argument)" but there are multiple drawbacks to this. I am a daily Uber / Lyft guy atp and I believe this can put the community at harm. Yeah, it's an option but some people may not know that this option can be potentially harmful as this singles us out, and if anything it can be used in a malicious way within the wrong hands. Furthermore, I'm not sure why this is even relevant or why personal preferences are colliding with a service. What do you guys think about it?

It took me an embarrassing amount of time to grasp that this wasn’t some sort of joke about the smogon tier
If it's any consolation it took me a minute to realise the P is not a typo setting up jokes about pisexuality

That's actually such an unneccessary idea, like holy fuck

If you pay your driver, they won't usually discriminate. And does someone seriously think that an Uber driver is so little preoccupied that they'll question whether a person is LGBTQ?

This sounds purely like marketing without any real substance

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
And does someone seriously think that an Uber driver is so little preoccupied that they'll question whether a person is LGBTQ?
for sure. we've seen uber drivers not preoccupied enough to do all sorts of horrible crimes. for a non-passing trans person it is pretty easy to see the name, see the (i believe mandatory?) rider photo, and quickly connect the dots. as a non-passing trans person, i use my deadname to minimize the chance of violence (either because i am trans or i am a woman). there are other cases where dots can be connected, like if you get picked up at a visible pride event.

(i have no opinion on the uber pride option)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)