The ladders have been reset. Here's why.

Do not access the server using proxy connections or dynamic IPs.
I have and have always had a dynamic IP. I have no idea why/how it is dynamic I don't know how to do any of that. But I really don't see how this really should be an offense. 95% of the people using dynamic IP's are not rulebreakers, so why police this, not to mention how hard it would be to police. Also i'm pretty sure anyone planning on spamming the server wont care about/even read these rules so its pretty pointless having this on there.

Desolate

Banned deucer.
As a safeguard that rule was added. We realize that there will be users who have dynamic IPs and not do anything malicious, but the chance of users with dynamic IPs versus those who don't ban evading is higher because it's generally easier to do. This set of rules is likely to be shaped accordingly to our userbase and such as time goes by. It's also noteworthy to add that if we see someone ban evading and their IPs are close and obviously dynamic, a range block will likely be put in place.

well i'm just saying I don't see the point of it. Spammers are not going to look at that and say "oh i didn't know dynamic ip's were not allowed, i wont spam then" they will read it and do it anyways.

Desolate

Banned deucer.
The intention is more to make it known that it's frowned upon and that those with dynamic IPs may have extenuating circumstances in some cases.

To include a rule which can not be obeyed would seem a very bad idea to me.

At least here in Finland every normal ISP gives you dynamic IP address which can change any time your router powers off (holiday trip, electricity break).

In Pokemon Online's forums Disciplinary Committee there have been cases where some users have argued that ban evading is not against rules (in our server). I suggest Smogon could formulate the rule 4 that way - since that is what the rule is supposed to say.

It was probably a mistake for me to list "no dynamic IPs" as a rule, but if you read the whole thing, I think my intent becomes clear that this is not a punishable offense, but rather a word-to-the-wise:

Due to problems with spammers, we constantly check for dynamic IPs and known proxy addresses. If you connect through a proxy, you may trouble connecting. If for some reason you need to use a dynamic IP or connect through a proxy for whatever reason, contact a staff member, and we will attempt to work something out on a case-by-case basis.
Still, I think I will be making I have made revisions to the wording of this "rule." I'm still not specifically mentioning ban evasion, because I don't want to give people ideas.

a lot of users have multiple accounts. and some have multiple accounts high in the ladder. is there a fix in which users who have multiple accounts with top rankings cannot fix their ranking by basically battling themselves on the ladder?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
There is already a script in place on our server that prevents two accounts with the same IP address from battling each other. I assume this is what you are describing.

a lot of users have multiple accounts. and some have multiple accounts high in the ladder. is there a fix in which users who have multiple accounts with top rankings cannot fix their ranking by basically battling themselves on the ladder?
There is already a script in place on our server that prevents two accounts with the same IP address from battling each other. I assume this is what you are describing.
It's not actually a script. PO has built-in functionality that prevents players with the same IP from battling each other.

My brother and I like to battle each other, and we use the same IP. So does this mean that we can't battle each other anymore?

My brother and I like to battle each other, and we use the same IP. So does this mean that we can't battle each other anymore?
Rated battles only happen when you click the "Find Battle" button (and select "force rated"). If you've been getting matched with your brother with the same IP through the "Find Battle" button, that indicates a SERIOUS problem, and I REALLY hope that's not what you're saying.

this is going to sound really noob-ish, but what is a dynamic IP? I want to know because if I break the rule I know ignorance won't be an acceptable excuse. I also think this is a good thing. We should have regualr ladder updates, even when there isn't suspect testing. (not too frequently though) It gives players like me who joined in there noob days, built crappy teams because they didn't know anything, and went to the bottom of the ladder another chance to show what we learned. But I do feel bad for the people who got so high and worked so hard losing their rank, but as everyone else has said, if you were good enough to get that high, you could do it again.

this is going to sound really noob-ish, but what is a dynamic IP? I want to know because if I break the rule I know ignorance won't be an acceptable excuse.
If you don't know what it is, don't worry about it. Also, the dynamic IP thing isn't a rule, but a guideline.

But, if you must know, Google is your friend.

It's not actually a script. PO has built-in functionality that prevents players with the same IP from battling each other.
Is this only for the Smogon server only, or for Pokemon Online in general? Because, if it's the latter, then I've been bypassing it then on the Skarmbliss Server. I sometimes accidentally battle myself (with my alts) through find battle. I'm just curious about it.

Is this only for the Smogon server only, or for Pokemon Online in general? Because, if it's the latter, then I've been bypassing it then on the Skarmbliss Server. I sometimes accidentally battle myself (with my alts) through find battle. I'm just curious about it.
It's something that can be turned off, but by default it's turned on.

So what is going to stop those cheaters from doing this again? Are we just going to reset again 2 months later because the same people did it again? What is the point of getting to 1400+ if you know you didn't rightfully earn it?

Stratos

Banned deucer.
now that not cheating is a rule, they have a codified reason to ban them without getting any bitchy backlash, so this should no longer cause a problem as long as cheaters are caught.

So all those annoying as fuck spastics who request a draw and try to timestall are officially rulebreaking now?

Thank you. My god those kids are annoying. "hurr durr plz ranking is important to me draw me". I will tell them to shut the fuck up, like I usually do, but now it's against the rules too :).

It would be nice if you guys can PM a mod when it blatantly happens. Use your judgement though they could be asking for a draw because they need to go to dinner or something.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon Online server has it off, but I think it's for testing stuff. All I know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)