The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
project ran by DTC and ebeast.

Sometimes figuring out the last Pokemon to put on your team is the hardest part about teambuilding. There are so many threats that need to be checked, but everything cannot be handled in one spot. In addition, a team may need a counter to an annoying Pokemon such as Jynx, but none of the Pokemon that beat the threat fit well on the team. This project aims to get an idea of what really needs to be answered on a team in the last slot, what sacrifices can afford to be made, as well as making sure the last Pokemon synergizes well with the team in general.

This project will be running on a 7 day schedule: 3 day discussion period, 2 day Pokemon submitting period, and 2 day voting period. In the 3 day discussion period, people will talk about the team, the weaknesses it has, what kind of Pokemon the team is looking for, and its overall synergy. During the Pokemon submitting period, people should submit the Pokemon that they think would fit best in the last slot, as well as a few minor adjustments to the team based on the last Pokemon they have chosen. Minor adjustments include a move or EV change. I'm not going into specifics on what is a "minor" adjustment, but if someone changes too much, I'll make sure to point it out. The voting period is where people vote on the changes they think are the most beneficial to the team. Whoever wins gets their Pokemon added to the team. These teams will be in this post for people to steal.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Trait: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Regirock @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch
- Curse

Golurk @ Choice Band
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch

Jynx (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Lovely Kiss
- Trick

Scolipede (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 56 Def / 168 Spd
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail

Annoyer (Ludicolo) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 232 HP / 220 SDef / 56 Spd
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Scald
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Camerupt (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Roar

Audino (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 232 SDef / 28 Spd
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Double-Edge
- Magic Coat

Alomomola (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 120 SDef / 16 Spd
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Toxic

Misdreavus (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spd
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell

Garbodor (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spd
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Toxic
- Rock Blast

Raseri (Lairon) @ Eviolite
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roar

Last edited:
Here is this weeks team, courtesy of ebeast.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Trait: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Regirock @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch
- Curse

Golurk @ Choice Band
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch

Jynx (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Lovely Kiss
- Trick

Scolipede (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 56 Def / 168 Spd
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail

Annoyer (Ludicolo) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Scald
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This team appears to struggle with bulky Waters - two weaknesses to Water and Aqua Tail on Scolipede all make this apparent, and while Jynx may provide a Water immunity it often won't be enough, as it's still walled by Seismitoad, for example. CB Sawk and other Fighting-types also look like an issue, especially those that carry Ice Punch for Golurk. It's also primarily physical in nature, although it looks like it has most physical walls covered.

Note to self: pay more attention to the OP and don't be redundant >_>

I hope i did this right sorry if i didnt :)
This is a very solid team with top tier pokes that fit together nicely. The first Pokemon that came to my mind as being troublesome to this team is Metang. A physical "tank set could deal some big damage to this team

Metang @ Eviolite
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Att / 160 Def
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Meteor Mash
-Hone Claws

This set can easily handle Jynx (who is scarfed and easier to work around, plus if she tricks than the lack of a scarfer could mean doom end game if kanga is gone), Scolipede, and Regirock, 3/5 of this team.

96 attack is all Metang needs to 3HKO Kanga with Meteor Mash while:

252 Atk Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Eviolite Metang: 92-110 (28.39 - 33.95%) -- 0.95% chance to 3HKO

While most Metang won't have these exact EVs it is certain that both opponents will have much damage at the end of that battle (and at least metang has recovery.) in addition, if metang has ant boosts due to Honeclaws or Meteor match this only becomes easier.

Lastly, since Metang's best check is Golurk (and Metang will not stay in on a Golurk), and he has a choice band, once the opponent realizes the item Golurk becomes much more easier to work around.

Another Pokemon that can trouble this team is Klang. This needs less of an explanation but it can set up on Jynx/Scoli/Golurk locked into a bad move and procede to sweep, since all revenge killing attacks are not very effective on the Gear Monster.

My proposal to the last member of the team would be adding LO Charizard and giving Jynx focus blast over trick. I was thinking Physically defensive Seismitoad but that is a pretty large weakness to grass (for the team). These changes will give dem steels enough offensive pressure to keep them from setting up.

Charizard @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Trait: Blaze
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speed (idk really the special EVs for Zard cause i dont use him)
-Fire Blast
-Air Slash
-Roost
-HP Grass

Sorry im rushing near the end cause i gtg soon hope i did this right, cool thread!

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I agree with Articblast about this team looking a bit vulnerable to a CB Sawk in the hands of a good predictor, and Waters are a nuisance as well (I'm thinking both offensive and defensive Seismitoad actually). While I generally don't like to say this since it doesn't take hits THAT well, Special Eelektross can also punch holes in this team with its great coverage, and the fact is that it can easily come in on anything but Golurk (excluding EQ), Kangaskhan's Double Edge, and Jynx and be a threat. These are the significant defensive weaknesses (you outspeed most Ground-types, and you can overpower any Dark-type). Offensively, this team simply has to set up Toxic Spikes and keep them around, which renders most physical walls useless. Offensively, this team can only hit Golbat and Mandibuzz hard with Jynx and Golurk, and even Misdreavus can be problematic if it switches into an EQ, Regirock, or Scolipede. This also makes me think that a stronger Kangaskahn would be more beneficial, but I'll leave that for the submitting period. Funnily enough, this team is 6-0'd by CM/Flash Cannon/RestTalk Bronzor outside of Jynx's Trick. :D

The kind of Pokemon this team could be looking for? I would personally like a Pokemon that can cover the holes both defensively and offensively. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say about what Pokemon I am thinking of, but I feel strongly that this team would appreciate a Special attacker more than a physical attacker. That is not to say that I can't think of a couple of physical attackers that would fit well on this team either. If I or someone else suggests the main Pokemon I am thinking about, I would also suggest changing a nature and/or item on a couple of Pokes.

As for the positives of this team so far, it is a Spike stacking offensive team so it mostly tries to muscle its way through the opponent's team. I see that this team can easily threaten opposing defensive teams with the wallbreaking that Golurk and hazards provide, as well as Jynx's Lovely Kiss and Trick. I wouldn't worry too much about faster threats either with the combination of Kangaskhan and Jynx. This team does rely on Kangaskhan to handle Riolu teams, and really doesn't appreciate Liepard's shenanigans if Regirock and Kangaskhan are weakened. Still, the former isn't common enough to carry a more dedicated counter, and the latter can be defeated with some luck (keeping Toxic Spikes up successfully handles both of these threats as well).

smh same exact team i made but with tauros > kanga and subsd scoli and toxic regirock (made it pre mandibuzz tho) smh nigbeast
alomomola and mandibuzz are really annoying for this team considering that golurk is the main wallbreaker but it cant break through those mons. jynx is the best against those but it can be protect scouted with mola and hazard or toxic stalled, and mandibuzz can just basically wreck with taunt + toxic as nothing can really touch it. opposing jynx can be annoying too so prob having a special wall to sponge hits (especially water ones cause those can be annoying if jynx is taken out via skunk or something) and a special wall that can take on alomomola or buzz would prob be the best fit. cb tort or golurk can come in regirock for basically free, use eq, and ko something. something like eel would be cool to hit alomo and buzz and be immune to eq as well as being a "check" to jynx (as in taking a hit).

also shitty title only dtc could come up with this

I think this is a pretty good team right now, but it's clear that the last slot needs something to patch up the weaknesses others pointed out. While it's fine to have defensive weaknesses on an offensive team, this one in particular includes Regirock, a Pokemon that is definitely a good tank/wall but also tends to slow down offensive momentum. However, for a more balanced team, this isn't quite as big of a deal, since you won't be relying strictly Regirock (and to an extent Golurk) to take all of the hits from opposing offensive Pokemon that can overwhelm your own. I definitely feel like the last Pokemon used here should be sort of a glue Pokemon—something that can handle the remainder of the team's weaknesses—for that reason.

I have a couple of ideas for the last Pokemon for the team, and if PS! ever comes back up, I'll test some of them out on the ladder.

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Scald
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Ludicolo is good in this slot because it checks a lot of special attackers that the team cannot reliably deal with and it provides a nice Ground-resistance so its a nice check for Golurk or Golem. Leech Seed recovery also works well with the rest of the team because they lack reliable recovery. It is also a good check to Alomomola which the team somewhat struggles to deal with and can wear down a lot of walls with burns and Leech Seed. EV Spread -> enough speed for max speed golem, odd hp number, spdef jumppoint.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Eelektross @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 Hp / 252 SAtk / 16 Spd
Modest Nature
-Volt Switch
-Thunderbolt
-Giga Drain
-Flamethrower

an offensive team like this needs a bulky pivot that can gain momentum, and eelektross fills this role perfectly. it can also beat the aforementioned steel and water types that trouble this team.

also everyone saying that this team is weak to "predicting sawk" is ridiculous

Roselia@Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Rest

I think it's Roselia a good chance to complete this team. Its specific resistance for water/grass attacks, fixed very well the Golurk and Regirock simultaneous presence. Even if usually Roselia is known as spiker, I think it can more effective with Sleep Powder and so many chances to strike off dangerous opponent 'mons. Combo Natural Cure/Rest and recovering Giga Drain really integrate this pokemon, so difficult to definitively hit.

I can see a couple of problems; status is a huge problem for most of the team, and a good Misdreavus with Will-O-Wisp can wreck havoc. While Roselia is a good option I don't think it's fast enough to keep up with the offensive nature of the team, so I propose:

Sawsbuck@Life Orb
Sap Sipper
Jolly
4HP/252Atk/252Spd
~Horn Leech
~Nature Power
~Return/Faint Attack
~Aromatherapy

Life Orb might be able to be swapped out for Leftovers if Rocks can be set up consistently, though, but otherwise, clears pesky burns and can surprise opponents who switch out of it, is immune to Misdreavus that run only Shadow Ball as an offensive move, and has a 50% chance of OHKOing Samurott with Horn Leech, as long as you can come in while avoiding Ice Beam/Megahorn. Horn Leech 2HKOs Haunter, but Faint Attack can be used instead to get the OHKO.

Braviary @ Choice Band
Defiant
Jolly
252Atk / 4 Def / 252Spd
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Superpower
- U-turn

hey ill post too :). Anyways this team is super weak to ground types like Golurk. Brav isn't an amazing counter, but it also synergizes well with Kanga by taking out Mola :). Brav is bulky enough to take a hit and retaliate against most Pokemon. It's also super strong :)

I was waiting for so long because there were very few posts. Now that we have a few submissions, it's voting time!

Annoyer won!

This week we're moving on to a stall team~

Camerupt (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Roar

Audino (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 232 SDef / 28 Spd
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Double-Edge
- Magic Coat

Alomomola (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 120 SDef / 16 Spd
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Toxic

Misdreavus (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spd
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell

Garbodor (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spd
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Toxic
- Rock Blast

the main problem i see with the team is the lack of a good switch in to flying types so a flying resist would definitely help out in that regard. because camerupt isnt a 100% counter to jynx, another mon to check or counter it would fit nice on that team as well. considering the fact that most of the team is hit by spikes, the last mon prob will spin them away such as wartortle or be immune to them to mitigate the effects of spikes. another good switch in to normal attacks would be nice to because combos of physical threats such as sd pinsir + zangoose or something like that can be really threatening. the team also lacks a win condition such as perish song missy so the last mon should be a mon that can win a game such as a cm sweeper like cm heal bell mush or something of that sort.

edit: gg treecko

Last edited:
Ah, stall. :)

This team is pretty weak to bulky setup sweepers. Camerupt has Roar, but Sub Bulk Up Braviary in particular gives it problems.

0 Atk Braviary Brave Bird vs 252 HP/0 Def Camerupt: 60.17% - 70.93% (2 hits to KO)

Without any boosts, it 2HKOs, and even if you Roar it out and pass it a Wish later on, you then have to worry about finding something that can't kill it from around 40% or less HP. Garbodor has Rock Blast, but it probably doesn't break a Sub on a Roost or after a couple of boosts. Misdreavus is the only thing that it can't set up on, and even then, if it switches into a Bulk Up, it's going to lose.

0 +1 Atk Braviary Brave Bird vs 248 HP/220 Def Misdreavus (+Def) : 72.76% - 85.76% (2 hits to KO)

I also noticed that this team doesn't have any Flying resists (which is where the idea of SubBU Braviary originally came from). Normally Alomomola is bulky enough to be able to take on most Flying-types though, but even so, that's putting extra pressure on Alomomola that nothing else on the team can easily handle. Something to patch up this weakness is probably the best way to go, but I'm still not entirely sure what should go in this spot.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
i wonder which mexican car jacker made this team..

anyways this team is weak to braviary as mentioned and has no way of stopping cm duosion and musharna. sawsbuck also gives this team a shitload of troubles, as does jynx but that is a given lol

a steel type would be nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)