Monotype THE DUST DEVILS (A SAND HO ft. QUAGGY) (STILL CLIMBING)

What is the best Weather right now?

• Rain

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Sun

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Sand

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Snow

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
THE DUST DEVILS (A SAND HO ft. QUAGGY) (STILL CLIMBING)
:sv/hippowdon::sv/excadrill::sv/great-tusk::sv/ursaluna-bloodmoon::sv/quagsire::sv/iron-treads:

This is my 100th post :)

Hi. Currently, I’ve had a lot of time on Smogon going through the OU metagame as well as the Monotype Metagame, the two tiers where I feel I have the best experience and fun, but I haven't had the creativity to build a team in sometime, after my Poison Monotype back in November. So I decided to build this Sand Ground Monotype HO team and to get out of team building block if such a thing exists. Here goes……

Teambuilding Process

Step 1: :hippowdon::excadrill:

I started out with a simple offensive sand core of :hippowdon and :excadrill:

Step2: :hippowdon::excadrill::great-tusk::ursaluna-bloodmoon:

I then added secondary sweepers in :great-tusk: and :ursaluna-bloodmoon: as part of the offensive backbone of the team.

Step 3: :hippowdon::excadrill::great-tusk::ursaluna-bloodmoon::quagsire:

I added QUAGGY!!!!! because of :chien-pao: and :baxcalibur: and other Ice types.

Step 4: :hippowdon::excadrill::great-tusk::ursaluna-bloodmoon::quagsire::iron-treads:

I then added :iron-treads: for hazard removal, Knock off utility, and a way to prevent Aurora Veil from being set up (by :ninetales-alola:) by annihilating them.

THE TEAM!!!!!!:

:sv/hippowdon:
Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Slack Off / Rock Slide / Stone Edge

On this sand team, there is a non-negotiable member that has to be on the team: the setter! :hippowdon: is the only viable sand setter between the two pokemon that can set up sand (the other one is :sandaconda:) It runs a Max HP mixed defense and Impish Nature set to be bulky on both ends. This is the team's SR setter, with Roar to punish set-up attackers and Slack Off for recovery. Earthquake is its main STAB and its main way of doing damage. You could remove Slack Off for Rock Slide or Stone Edge if you need to hit more things.

:sv/excadrill:
Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide/Rapid Spin

The main sweeper and a pokemon that came back from DLC2! :excadrill: runs that standard Swords Dance set (Max Atk and Spe with Adamant Nature), with EQ and Iron Head as STAB and Rock Slide as a way to hit :corviknight: before Roosting. If you’re worried about hazards then you can switch it out for Rapid Spin, but then you have to force :corviknight: to use roost in order to do decent damage on it with EQ. Leftovers are for longevity to passively recover health while setting up with SD.

:sv/great-tusk:
Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat
- Ice Spinner

A secondary Sweeper, :great-tusk: has great bulk in Sand with its already high Defense Stat and its SpD boosted in sand, making it a great sand sweeper. Max HP and Spe make it bulky and fast, to help it set up using bulk up. Headlong Rush and Close Combat are Stab, while Ice Spinner is for :gliscor: and :landorus-t: Leftovers is to keep it healthy while it sets up similar to :excadrill:.

:sv/quagsire:
Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover
- Body Press

QUAGGGGGGGGGGGYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, the main reason for this is :chien-pao: and :baxcalibur: mostly. Those two would sweep the entire team, and :quagsire: is perhaps the only ground type that can successfully handle them both, with Max Def and HP with some Evs for the Special Side and an Impish Nature. Toxic+Recover puts opponents on a timer and can heal up. Earthquake is its main STAB, and Body Press is for :chien-pao: and :baxcalibur:, as well as :kingambit: and other dark types.

:sv/ursaluna-bloodmoon:
Ursaluna-Bloodmoon @ Leftovers
Ability: Mind's Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 188 SpA / 68 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Bold Nature
- Blood Moon
- Earth Power
- Calm Mind
- Vacuum Wave

This is the team's main Special set -up sweeper, using Calm Mind to boost SpA and SpD. The EV spread is to outspeed Uninvested :magnezone: and :goodra-hisui:, with the rest in SpA and Max HP. Bold Nature is to increase the absurdly high defense that it has. Blood Moon and Earth Power is STAB, with Vacuum Wave to knock out a weakened :chien-pao:, :baxcalibur:, and other ice types, as well as dark and steel types, like :gholdengo:(YES!) due to the busted Mind’s Eye ability.

:sv/iron-treads:
Iron Treads @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

The main purpose of this Iron Treads is to prevent :ninetales-alola: from setting up Aurora Veil. Booster Energy makes sure I outspeed when I send it in at the same time as :ninetales-alola: . The current EV spread gives Booster Energy Spe. Knock Off has incredible utility as it can knock off the HDBoots and the lefties off. Rapid Spin provides hazard removal, and EQ is a STAB move that hits hard.

Importable:
Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide/Rapid Spin

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat
- Ice Spinner

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover
- Body Press

Ursaluna-Bloodmoon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 188 SpA / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
- Blood Moon
- Earth Power
- Calm Mind
- Vacuum Wave

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

(I’M STILL CLIMBING)

So that was the RMT, hope you enjoyed it, have a good day everybody, I have to head back to the Distortion World. :)

I am open to any feedback.

Have a good day.
:giratina::giratina-origin::giratina::giratina-origin::giratina::giratina-origin::giratina::giratina-origin::giratina::giratina-origin::giratina::giratina-origin::giratina::giratina-origin::giratina::giratina-origin::giratina::giratina-origin::giratina::giratina-origin::giratina::giratina-origin:
:slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking::slaking:

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hello :blobnom: , it's nice to hear that you have fun in Monotype, I definitely do as well! I've been building Ground predominately since the release of DLC2, so I figured I'd give my two cents and improve some matchups for you.

:sv/Hippowdon:
Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock Leftovers / Eject Button
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar

First of all, Smooth Rock was recently banned so you'll have to resort to Leftovers or alternatively Eject Button, improving your momentum and notably getting Excadrill in safely. Slack Off should never be removed, recovery is far too important and Hippowdon needs to last as long as possible in a match, especially without Smooth Rock providing extra turns for Excadrill. Rock-type coverage can be taken up Excadrill or Pokemon I'll be mentioning further into this. I'm not sure what that EV spread does, however, I'd like to suggest 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD with an Impish nature as it allows Hippowdon to live Draco Meteor from Choice Specs Latios, letting you get more out of Hippowdon.

:sv/Excadrill:
Excadrill @ Leftovers Choice Band
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide / Rapid Spin

I don't recommend using Swords Dance as Excadrill wants the immediate power that Choice Band provides. A Jolly nature can be used to outpace Choice Scarf Meowscarada but Adamant is valid as well due to the power increase. Poison Jab is great for Grass-types, notably Ogerpon-W/H but it also hits things like Primarina and choice-locked Azumarill.

:sv/Great-Tusk:
Great Tusk @ Leftovers Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up Knock Off
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat
- Ice Spinner

Changing Great Tusk into your Choice Scarf user is one option as you can't always rely on having Sand up, however, it's also worth noting that Mamoswine may make your life easier versus Kyurem and Ice in general but they both do well and it's really a matter of what you'd prefer. I personally enjoy using Mamoswine more due to Thick Fat but Great Tusk's Fighting-type coverage is definitely useful too.

:sv/Mamoswine:
Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off

:sv/Quagsire:
Quagsire @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

- Body Press

Quagsire is honestly too much of a momentum sink and isn't generally needed when you have Excadrill + Great Tusk/Mamoswine handling most Ice-types. It's also not strong enough to act as your only Water-type neutrality so this slot is pretty much a must for Water Absorb Clodsire. Clodsire also acts as a deterrent for Meowscarada and in a pinch Ogerpon-W, Clodsire also has great defensive synergy with Hippowdon unlike Quagsire.

:sv/Clodsire:
Clodsire @ Black Sludge
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Toxic / Toxic Spikes
- Recover

:sv/Ursaluna-Bloodmoon:
Ursaluna-Bloodmoon @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 188 SpA / 68 Spe | 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Bold Modest Nature
- Blood Moon
- Earth Power
- Calm Mind
- Vacuum Wave

I'm not really a fan of Ursaluna-B, although, it does act as your special wallbreaker it's a bit too slow and doesn't offer a whole lot besides a Ghost-type immunity and some Chien-Pao counterplay. I'd heavily consider Landorus in this slot over Ursaluna-B due to its raw power, Speed in comparison, and Gravity. Gravity is a huge bonus as Excadrill and Great Tusk/Mamoswine rely on it to break Flying and Steel. Landorus also allows Excadrill to opt for Rapid Spin due to its ability and usually preference to use Rock Slide as Volcarona can be quite scary.

:sv/Landorus:
Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive / Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Rock Slide / Focus Blast
- Gravity

:sv/Iron-Treads:
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

- Rapid Spin

Iron Treads doesn't do much here as you have Excadrill, I'd also like to note that Booster Energy is banned. This slot can be pretty flexible for the most part, I recommend Swords Dance Garchomp here to lure in Corviknight but there are other alternatives such as Sandy Shocks or regular Ursaluna, the meta is still pretty new so it's nice to experiment.

:sv/Garchomp:
Garchomp @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Scale Shot
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang / Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
:sv/Sandy-Shocks:
Sandy Shocks @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
:sv/Ursaluna:
Ursaluna @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Fire Punch / Drain Punch
- Swords Dance

That'd be pretty much everything, I hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to ask! :blobthumbsup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)