SM OU The Charlotte Family: Lopunny Sand Bulky Offense ft. Future Sight Slowbro

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
The Charlotte Family
:sm/slowbro: :sm/lopunny-mega: :sm/tyranitar: :sm/excadrill: :sm/amoonguss: :sm/zapdos:

Hello and welcome. I have been wanting to build and post an RMT of a proper team of my own before the end of the generation so here's the result.
The theme of the team comes from One Piece: the Charlotte Family is the family of Big Mom, one of the Yonko aka one of the strongest pirates in One Piece. It fits oddly well thematically. The gifs and pictures used in this post are minor One Piece spoilers if you haven't reached Whole Cake Island yet.
If there's one thing I'm not very good at it's EV spreads so if you have any suggestions in that department let me know.

Katakuri Gif.gif

:sm/slowbro:
Katakuri (Slowbro) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpA
Bold Nature
- Future Sight
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off

I'd been wanting to build around Future Sight Slowbro for a while as I think Future Sight as a move is kind of overlooked. Future Sight is very spammable and pressures the opponent to do one of two things: go into something that can shrug off a Psychic-type attack or take considerable damage (120 BP is no joke). The rest of the team takes advantage of this fact as I'll go into later.
Slowbro is also a very solid defensive pivot and one of the few reliable checks to certain Fighting-types like Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny which threaten the rest of the team as three members are weak to Fighting. It also spreads burn which can allow for easier setup from Excadrill.
Slowbro wants max HP, and 96 Defense EVs with a Bold nature hit a jump point. The rest is dumped into Special Attack to make Future Sight as deadly as possible.

Smoothie Gif.gif

:sm/lopunny-mega:
Smoothie (Lopunny-Mega) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Quick Attack

Mega Lopunny is easily one of the best megas in the tier to me. Its stellar Speed and Attack stat as well as its amazing dual STAB and priority combo make it an excellent revenge killer and a menace to most offensive teams. One of the reasons I put it on this team is that it takes advantage of the fact that Future Sight lures in Dark- and Steel-types which Mega Lopunny can pummel with High Jump Kick.
Completely offensive spread as you'd expect.

Big Mom Gif-min.gif

:sm/tyranitar:
Big Mom (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 48 SpD / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

BandTar is a great wallbreaker as well as the team's sand setter. It completes the FDP (Fighting / Dark / Psychic) core with Lopunny and Slowbro. It too takes advantage of Future Sight as it also lures in Psychic-types which Tyranitar traps and easily dispatches of. Fire Punch softens up Steel-types such as Magearna, Celesteela, Skarmory and Mega Mawile which Mega Lopunny would otherwise struggle to take out.
Standard spread which allows it to live a +1 Bug Buzz from Volcarona and a Choice Specs-boosted Moonblast from Tapu Lele.

Cracker Gif.gif

:sm/excadrill:
Cracker (Excadrill) @ Steelium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

I needed a Ground-type so I went with a full-blown sand team by picking Excadrill. It's your classic sand sweeper and also my Stealth Rock setter which is what allows Tyranitar to be banded. Hazard removal is covered by Zapdos so Excadrill can run Swords Dance as Rapid Spin is freed up. Corkscrew Crash nails would-be checks like Tangrowth and Landorus-T.
Completely offensive spread as you'd expect.

Kingbaum.jpg

:sm/amoonguss:
Kingbaum (Amoonguss) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire
- Sludge Bomb

Amoonguss is another solid pivot and forms a Regenerator core with Slowbro. It can check most Water- and Grass-types in the tier, such as Ash-Greninja, Rotom-Wash, Tapu Bulu, Seperior and Ferrothorn. If Ash-Greninja threatens it with Dark Pulse you get a free switch to Tyranitar. Spreading sleep with Spore is very helpful as this team is in desperate need of free turns as it lacks momentum-generating moves such as U-turn and Volt Switch.
Standard spread that gives it enough special bulk to check what it needs to.

Zeus.jpg

:sm/zapdos:
Zeus (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

As the last member of the team I needed a solid check to the likes of Hawlucha, Scarf Kartana and Gyarados as they would tear up the team otherwise. Zapdos fits the bill perfectly as it also frees up Rapid Spin from Excadrill. It also spreads paralysis which is always nice.
Standard physically defensive spread that allows it to check the threats it needs to.

Changes to the team I've considered and that I'd like to hear your thoughts on:
  • Lopunny: Quick Attack -> Ice Punch
  • Excadrill: Swords Dance -> Z-Giga Impact or Rock Slide
  • Amoonguss: Sludge Bomb -> Clear Smog
  • Zapdos: Static -> Pressure
  • Zapdos: Discharge or Heat Wave -> Volt Switch
  • Zapdos: Heat Wave -> Hidden Power Ice
Additional notes:
  • I decided to forego a scarfer because I already have Sand Rush Excadrill and Fake Out + Quick Attack Lopunny as speed control and I have a pretty solid defensive backbone.
  • I might need something to ease the stall matchup.
Mini notes:
  • I know that Kingbaum and Zeus are homies and not actually Big Mom's children but they fit pretty well and I don't want to call this "The Big Mom Pirate Crew".
  • If this team ends up being gold and you use it in a tour please credit me if you win.
Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpA
Bold Nature
- Future Sight
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Quick Attack

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 48 SpD / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Last edited:
Have you considered Ferrothorn over Amoonguss? You lose Spore and part of the regen core, but Spikes will help further punish your opponent from switching around Future Sight.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Have you considered Ferrothorn over Amoonguss? You lose Spore and part of the regen core, but Spikes will help further punish your opponent from switching around Future Sight.
Good suggestion but I personally still prefer Amoonguss because it also clears Toxic Spikes which would otherwise be detrimental to some of the other members of the team.

Lopunny definitely change Quick Attack to Ice Punch, because if Scrappy gets nullified, your screwed over by Ghosts(particularly Cofrigagus)
For Excadrill keep Steelium Z, Kartana is a better user of Breakneck Blitz, and for Amoongus that's really a 50/50, if you think you need a phazer vs the high change to poison.
Zapdos change Static to Pressure if keeping Discharge, or Discharge to T-Bolt. You generally don't want Zapdos running Volt Switch, cause it's awkward, and you can't afford another moveslot for another electric type move.

Lopunny definitely change Quick Attack to Ice Punch, because if Scrappy gets nullified, your screwed over by Ghosts(particularly Cofrigagus)
For Excadrill keep Steelium Z, Kartana is a better user of Breakneck Blitz, and for Amoongus that's really a 50/50, if you think you need a phazer vs the high change to poison.
Zapdos change Static to Pressure if keeping Discharge, or Discharge to T-Bolt. You generally don't want Zapdos running Volt Switch, cause it's awkward, and you can't afford another moveslot for another electric type move.
Not only is Cofagrigus super rare, but it's taking no types of damage from Ice Punch even without defense investment.

252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Cofagrigus: 62-73 (19.3 - 22.8%) -- possible 5HKO

Also keep in mind that Cofagrigus usually runs Will-O-Wisp, so Lopunny has no business staying in, and should instead be switching into Amoonguss or Zapdos to absorb the burn.

Kartana was never brought up, so I don't know why you mentioned it. Kartana being "a better user of Breakneck Blitz" means nothing, because Kartana isn't competing with Excadrill on this team.

What's wrong with Static + Discharge? Alone, neither are SUPER consistent at spreading paralysis, so having both gives you a much better shot. Also, Volt Switch is actually starting to be seriously used on Zapdos, presumably for the same reason U-turn is commonly used on Scizor over Bug Bite.

Here's something of note: I'm not sure sr is the best move on a sweeper excadrill, as it's more something to be used on a sash lead. Something you could try would be rapid spin or rock slide, and change ttar to a rocker, although the extra power from band might be needed.

Just a small thing, Alakazam can plough through your team, as it can 2HKO or OHKO your entire team. You could potentially run a chople tyranitar set
such as 64/124/144/0-/176+/0 which can tank a +1 252 char x eq [with sr], ohko w/ stone edge, and the 176 sDef hits a jump point. it takes around 50% from a M-zam fb, and OHKOs with crunch. It also allows your drill to run coverage instead of sr. idk.

Last edited:

Ruft

OU Leader
You could potentially run a chople tyranitar set
such as 64/124/144/0-/176+/0 which can tank a +1 252 char x eq [with sr], ohko w/ stone edge, and the 176 sDef hits a jump point. it takes around 50% from a M-zam fb, and OHKOs with crunch. It also allows your drill to run coverage instead of sr. idk.
I will definitely try this out, thanks.

Reactions: UHX
static zapdos is so good as you get more chances of paralysing OU threats such as kartana or lando. it might also stop mons like lando, scizor or torn from clicking u turn and that im combination with switches forced by future sight is a nice opportunity to try out spikes ferro. pressure is just too bad in comparison to static, so stay with the ability.
but you should definitly try hp ice over heatwave as scizor wont stay in anyways and ferro stalls you even with heatwave (leech seed + protect). i tried it once and never switched back to heatwave, cuz its so good and unexpected against gliscor or lando. give it a shot.
and i definitely agree on UHXs opinion, with a sand rush excadrill you almost never wanna click rocks, so using them ob ttar with chople berry is a very good idea. you probably didnt think about zam tracing your sand rush.
if you really wanna stick to amoongus definitely run clear smog. you already have para and sleep, and you mostly wanna sleep your opponent with spore. its also good so you dont get 6-0d by defensive set up volcarona after you slept something else. also dual dance lando, dd dragonite, dd char x, dd gyarados, all the latis and even belly drum kommo o get set up on you, so clear smog is your choice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)