SS NU The Boys

So here's my best NU team. I call it the boys because it has Pokemon that are very dear to me, I'm glad I was able to not only make them viable but also deadly. Araquanid and Mudsale work very well together as tanks and hazard setters, the trio of Golurk, Starmie and Zoroark are very scary offensively. Starmie also provides extra utility. And Snorlax can become a cheap win condition.

Araquanid

Araquanid @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Toxic

Standard set, webs are super clutch for opposing teams without hazard control. If webs aren't viable, it can be used as a liquidation monster for wallbreaking. Toxic is useful for wittling away at opposing Araquanid, or bulkier mons that take hits. Araquanid also serves as the specially defensive wall for the team.

Snorlax

\
Snorlax @ Lum Berry
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recycle
- Rest
- Curse
- Body Slam

My favourite cheese set. The only thing this mon fears is sirfetch'd, diancie and focus blast. It obviously struggles with ghost types as well due to only having a normal move. However combined with its high HP, Sp Def and access to curse, this mon can quickly become unstoppable for opposing teams that don't have the aforementioned Pokemon. Immunity prevents getting poisoned, rest heals burns. Recycle gets the lum berry back so you can rest again. Bring this mon in at the right time and you can grab an easy win.

Harmonia the Zoroark

Harmonia (Zoroark) @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Night Daze
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb

The endgame cleaner, the mid-game breaker. You name it. Zoroark is very good in the NU tier, and team-mates such as Starmie and Golurk help its ability, Illusion, catch opponents off-guard. Its coverage is great and so is the speed tier. Very few mons can take its moves after a nasty plot, while life orb gives great breaking power. Night Daze is used over Dark Pulse because of the extra power. Also Harmonia is N's real name and he has an affinity with Zoroark, I thought it was nice.

The Iron Giant (Golurk)

The Iron Giant (Golurk) @ Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Dynamic Punch
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish

This Pokemon is so good that I actually found success with it in the OU tier. So, of course I had to bring it into NU where its also proved itself. Rock Polish brings it to 418 Speed, and the 130 base attack with adamant nature does the rest. Ghost+Ground+Fighting is great coverage. Life Orb allows it to pack-a-punch. If you get a rock polish off during a stop, you're in a very good position to punish the opponent. The Iron Giant is a nostalgic tribute to the 1999 film.

Mudsdale

Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Body Press

Mudsdale is one of, if not the best physical tank in the tier. It has a very important role in the team, checking pretty much every physical attacker besides araquanid. And it compliments Araquanid on the team who is the corresponding Sp Def wall. Stamina is a big asset to its physical defensive utility, boosting defense after every attack it takes. Body Press can get scary once its defense reaches higher levels, and is generally good with its high base defense. Stealth rock is also great for residual damage which helps the other sweepers. Rock Slide hits flying types like Xatu switching in.

SENTRY the Starmie

SENTRY (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 100 HP / 156 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

SENTRY is my signature Starmie set which I have used throughout every tier possible besides Ubers. It's always been atleast good, and it has some nice tournament highlights for me. The leftovers +analytic combination is SOOO good I cannot stress it enough. The HP investment is also very good, because Starmie isn't as frail as you might expect. Rapid spin is amazing as well, obviously it removes hazards but it can be used as bait for ghost types such as Dhelmise. Analytic boosted ice beam destroys one of those things switching in. Thunderbolt is to catch unsuspecting water types such as Inteleon or Araquanid. And finally Hydro Pump is the main STAB. Overall this Pokemon is my wild card, even the most experienced players have difficulty dealing with this set and it punches above its weight very often. You can tell its one of my favourite Pokemon for a reason. The SENTRY name in all caps, combined with the shiny coloring are intended to instill fear in the opponent.

Notable Threats:

:Toxicroak:
Being able to beat the entire team 1v1 minus Mudsdale makes it a very scary threat

:Comfey:
Comfey can be difficult to deal with because the physical attackers on the team are slow, and not as dynamic with coverage. The special attackers have trouble because Comfey has high Sp Def. Triage is also very annoying because draining kiss is super effective on zoroark, who'd like hit it with a sludge bomb.

:sirfetch
Sirfetch'd is a massive threat to this team. First impression cooks Starmie and Zoroark. Close Combat and Brave Bird destroy everything else on the team. It's important to keep Mudsdale healthy to deal with sirfetch'd.

:Salazzle:
Salazzle is a threat largely due to its speed tier, which allows it to get the jump on the entire team. It can also poison Araquanid, which is annoying, Snorlax has to stay healthy, but if the opponent has a ghost type on top of salazzle, it makes it very difficult because it can't touch them.

:rotom-mow:
A pokemon posing a similar problem as Salazzle to the team. Snorlax has to stay healthy but a ghost type messes with bringing it in. Its speed isn't as high, but choice scarf variants exist in bounty. The team is also generally weak to Grass + Electric as coverage.

:Diancie:
A difficult Pokemon to break down, and coverage that destroys the team. Once it gets a diamond storm up, only Starmie can stop it.

:Zoroark:
Opposing Zoroark pose a problem because of Illusion, the fact that I don't have many switch ins, and because Zoroark is very good.

:corsola-galar: :vileplume:
Disclaimer: I do not know how to play against strength sap. Users of that accursed move run rampant on me, I have nothing in response. Especially Vileplume who can't get poisoned, and takes every hit. I mean why does it heal so much damn HP? Lol.

Pokemon with no item:
This is a known strategy in the tier, as it shuts down Golurk at times. It can be difficult to work around.

Importable: https://pokepast.es/0737983ff95a27c2

Last edited:
For your snorlax, I would make its item chests berry, so that status mons can‘t make you use full sleep turns, and thicc fat as ability because you don’t care about poison with that set.

For your snorlax, I would make its item chests berry, so that status mons can‘t make you use full sleep turns, and thicc fat as ability because you don’t care about poison with that set.
hmm this is good advice. However I love immunity as it never proccs the lum berry regardless. Thick fat is nice but its predictable, and opponents will try for toxic anyways, which gives me a free set up turn.

I'm an advocate of Phys. Def Snorlax rather than Sp. Def Snorlax

Also I think Dark Pulse > Night Daze because it has higher accuracy, a flinch chance, and 5 BP in difference aren't going to change much anyway

Maybe you could consider Choice Scarf Zoroark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)