The Best and Worst Boss Fights in Pokemon

I still subscribe that red being the strongest champion is a lore thing only, I think he's one of the more mediocre/middle of the road gamewise
the champion discussion in this page has been almost entirely lore based.
Is Red considered “the strongest Champion” in “the lore”? I don’t think the games have described or treated him any differently than the other Champions. Is this just a “Pikachu is Lv88 and no other Trainer has a level that high, therefore he is the strongest” thing? Because even that isn’t true anymore as of BDSP.

Is Red considered “the strongest Champion” in “the lore”? I don’t think the games have described or treated him any differently than the other Champions. Is this just a “Pikachu is Lv88 and no other Trainer has a level that high, therefore he is the strongest” thing? Because even that isn’t true anymore as of BDSP.
I feel like it's more of a vibe (that's mostly died out by now) rather than anything quantifiable. Red's the only Champion-esque trainer whose entire characterisation is 'battling Pokemon and being the strongest', since that's the only context you see him in and he has no dialogue, so imagining that he's canonically the strongest is almost, like, throwing him a bone. After all, it'd be kinda sad to spend such a long time training in complete solitude on a mountain too dangerous for anyone without 16 Gym Badges to approach, let alone climb, only to lose to someone who has other hobbies, responsibilities, and/or personal relationships.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I feel like it's more of a vibe (that's mostly died out by now) rather than anything quantifiable. Red's the only Champion-esque trainer whose entire characterisation is 'battling Pokemon and being the strongest', since that's the only context you see him in and he has no dialogue, so imagining that he's canonically the strongest is almost a pity thing. After all, it'd be kinda sad to spend such a long time training in complete solitude on a mountain too dangerous for anyone without 16 Gym Badges to approach, let alone climb, only to lose to someone who has other hobbies, responsibilities, and/or personal relationships.
It's also that he was the first player character to reappear, so there's a slight mystique to him that none of the others have.

He's the most recognisable due to RBY being the first games; beating him in GSC represents the player surpassing him. There's not really an equivalent to that in most other games, so the fandom tends to hold Red in this high esteem despite the fact that numerous other protagonists in the games have accomplished bigger feats than he ever did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)