The Annoyances of NU (Random whining from a Showdown player)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been laddering on Smogon NU and Randoms for a few weeks under 3 accounts (Hugh Jweener, getoffmyswamp, captainpoophead).
I've been trying to improve my general knowledge of the game (typing, switching, when to set up etc.).

My issue is not with the current tiering as so far nothing to me seems too strong or too weak.
Even strategies that seem overpowered I have found workarounds (Sub spam, Protect spam(2-3x), Stealth Rock spam, Priority spam and 50/50s)
The issue lies in certain moves which have seen a rapid increase in use which bring to mind certain recent bans (Swagger is the most notable, my vote's in for banning Aegislash's King's Shield over banning the poke but off topic). Here's a list of my thoughts on certain "50/50" moves that should be taken into consideration when laddering on the NU tier.

Anyhow onto the moves.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First up is Protect.

Yes I said it.
Why would I bring up Protect?
It's a fine attack!, it allows me to set up my quick feet Ursaring, it allows me to block impending doom from a Typhlosion, to check Ferroseed counters, to Troll out a toxic'd Zangoose/Swellow/Ursaring.

All of the above are real instances, and I have no complaint against that. The real issue in my opinion is when the player uses Protect to the extreme. I already brought this up above when talking about strategies I found workarounds for however it's worth noting there's nothing more frustrating than when you have a player cornered and they can continuously spam protect (50/50 for second shot) to further troll out the game.

My possible fix? Allow one use of protect. Whether it's 1 use per game or just 1 use per switch in it doesn't matter to me. It's a minor annoyance but wastes time nonetheless. It is absolutely useless as a defensive strategy and in my opinion should not be allowed any longer.

Final verdict: Auto forfeit for double protect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stealth Rock

I expect a lot of flak for bringing up Stealth Rock.

What's Stealth Rock used for?
Early game it's used to prevent your opponent from safely switching in, later it adds up to some serious damage.
What does it do?
Damage, lots of it.
Is it overpowered?
That's a matter of controversy I cannot really give too much of an experienced opinion, it can win or lose you a game.
Why am I bringing it up then?
It's not related to the damage of Stealth Rock to the Pokemon that is an issue, it's the usage.

There seems to be almost a cult-like following of Stealth Rock users on the NU ladder.
Game after game, I'm shocked every time to see this same scenario pop up.

Scenario 1. Guy opens with Sandslash, Seismitoad, Regirock etc.
This is obviously a Stealth Rock.

Now what you see is a free turn of set up for me or anybody else on the ladder, or a free switch in, whatever you like and the guy loses 2-4 pokes for 1.

Scenario 2. Guy brings in Stealth Rocker to counter whatever you're playing. Spams Stealth Rock.
Same thing as scenario 1, bring in a big hitter and get "Shrekt" player 2.

So now you may be wondering what's wrong with scenario 1 and 2?
Why am I bringing this up?

It's the spam.

There are good players that utilize Stealth Rock properly as an offensive strategy, I have no doubt about this.
Heck, I use it when my opponent does (75% of games, no lie).
The problem lies with the over usage of this move.

Think about my 2 scenarios (you can imagine more) where the opposing player may not understand what the move does but he has been told to just use it. "Spam Stealth Rock" is probably what he read on a forum or move set.

What happens to this player when he loses matches over and over or maybe he might win a few?
What happens when he eats a defog?
What if his whole team is built around Stealth rocks and he doesn't have any way of stopping your big fat Slurpuff (drummed in this made up scenario) because he wanted to play like the big guys and use Stealth Rock.
What if his Golurk stays in to Stealth Rock and Persian takes him out one hit with Knock Off or Bite?
What if the player could have had a better team with that slot freed up?

There's only one idea I have for Stealth Rock in NU and it's to get players informed.
Inform the players to think it through, don't be "that guy" where you can't quite think of a good multi type or sweeper or counter to that nefarious Shiftry or that Kecleon so you throw in that Steelix thinking Stealth Rock is your get out of jail free card.

Of course another idea could just be ban the darned move right out of NU, that's a little extreme.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any thoughts or criticisms are welcome.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi,

At present, we will not consider these moves (or the so-called spamming of these moves) broken. Most of your complaints can be addressed by adapting - in layman's terms, "git gud". I will not thoroughly address your concerns in this thread, but if you have further issues please PM me and discuss them in a more private venue. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)