Tera in National Dex: Where do we stand now?

Not gonna go into a long essay about my issues with tera. But i think most of us can agree that it cannot continue to exist in this format as is if not at all in its current state. I think the primary problem which pushes it to being unhealthy has been in front of us all this time, Stab terastalization. Stab terastalization in combination with other boosts, boost stacking, has made defensive play for a seemingly never ending list of pokemon close to impossible in games and downright impossible in the builder. With it sometimes leading to almost comical damage calculations like this one.

252 SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey in Sun: 384-452 (53.7 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Overall im not fine with the mechanic despite how wishy washi i may be in chatrooms. If i were to vote on current tera i would vote ban, but i think it can 100% be salvaged with a restriction or multiple restrictions as long as on of them prevents stab terastalization.

Kyo

In Limbo
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
National Dex Leader
As reflected in my vote in the initial Tera suspect, I wholeheartedly believe this tier would be better off if Tera was gone. I find it frustrating enough in SV OU, but it is straight up demoralizing to play with in NatDex. I fell in love with this tier because of the creativity afforded in the builder and the selection of available mons. SS OU at the time was slow and stagnant, and NatDex was like a breath of fresh air in comparison with the kind of strats you could viably pull off. Interestingly, it seems like most of the pro-Tera arguments are similar in that they boil down to enjoying the further "creativity" that Tera lends to the tier. For the life of me I really can't understand this, especially when you break down how Tera plays out in a typical game.

STAB Tera is just a flat buff that only serves to benefit the already strongest mons in the metagame. It makes your Gholdenghos, Kingambits, Melmetals, Dragapults, Iron Valiants, and Urshifus far stronger than they have any right to be in conjunction with choice items. There is little to no motivation for a player to get creative here. You want to take the strongest and fastest mons available and Tera them into their own type to steamroll would-be counters. Nobody is experimenting with something like Tera ground Iron Treads or Tera fire Cinderace when the opportunity cost is not using STAB Tera on the even stronger mons already available. Not only is this pretty clearly centralizing, but it's also forcing teambuilding towards the two extremes of pure defense and pure offense. When your defensive pivots can no longer switch into attacks they would previously not be 2HKO'd by, you either swap them out for something bulkier and start building fat/stall or you throw your hands up and start playing HO like everyone else because being faster and stronger than your fast and strong opponent is the only option. Defensive Tera is an awful bandaid of a solution to this problem. First and foremost, you have to have the correct type of defensive Tera for the situation. There's no reasonable way to predict what STAB Tera you will go up against in each game which is why defensive mons are all spamming the same widely applicable types like water, fairy, or steel in hopes of maximizing their odds of a good matchup. When your opponent is using a STAB Tera abuser and you are forced into a situation where you defensively Tera, you are essentially playing from the backfoot and simultaneously crippling your team's ability to switch into other offensive threats now that you've changed your initial typing. What's the solution? Well once again you just have to resort to bulkier, more stall-centric teams that can afford a second or third backup answer on the team so that you aren't shooting yourself in the foot in the long term with your defensive Tera.

The other most common way we see Tera play out is with setup sweepers that change their typing as a way of making revenge killing more difficult. I imagine this is what most people refer to when they say that they like the creative aspect of Tera. I mean sure, there are some pretty cool niche applications like Tera grass Ceruledge to resist water and ground types simultaneously. When I look at this in a vacuum, I don't necessarily mind it. When I look at it in the context of the tier as a whole, I get more and more frustrated with how it's used and the lack of reasonable predictive counterplay afforded to the player who has to go up against it. Certain mons are more than good enough to be carried by their own merits, and they abuse type-changing Tera as a get out of jail free card by turning into literally almost any type other than their current just to avoid being hit super effectively. We saw it previously with Espathra and still have to deal with it in Annihilape, Garg, Hatterene, Skeledirge, etc. and even mons like Kingambit which are already perfectly viable STAB Tera options. I would so genuinely encourage anyone who champions Tera as a motivator of creative play to take a step back and consider, does this really feel creative to you? Is this some kind of brilliant decision making in the builder, or is it just rolling the dice on hoping you will have a nigh-unstoppable setup mon in your current matchup? Just some things to consider.

Tera has me very frustrated with the current state of this tier, as you can probably tell. It feels far too difficult to pinpoint next steps in tiering decisions when there are a dozen equally obnoxious threats already and more cropping up everyday, 90% of which are direct results of the Tera mechanic. Please help, I am going to lose it :psywoke:

With WCOP coming up I figure I'll post my thoughts here although I don't want to sound like a broken record. My love for ND comes from the diversity of avaliable options in the tier which leaves room for creativity in building, and more importantly rewards it in competitive play. In SS I was able to make 3 back to back finals in ND team tournaments with numerous creative strategies that benefited me in tournament play.

With gen 9 however, my main concern as a player/builder comes from the variance of the tier with tera in play. Between new pokemon, a new combination of Z moves, and Tera I feel like there's just too much to account for. What I loved most about SS was even though I couldn't cover everything building, almost every match up felt outplayable for me. With random teras added to the mix there's just too much to account for, which I personally believe puts a stress on competitive play that makes it unhealthy.

Now this isn't to say tera is an auto win button or anything. Resource management is important ingame and I believe the better player should usually win despite the variance. In ND it just feels very overwhelming unlike something like SV OU, and pushes things over the edge a bit. As someone who likes to have fun I think it's cool.. as a competitor values competitive play, it has to go.

On a final note, something may need to be looked at with tiering ND in the future. Are we only going to keep megas and Z moves in gen 10+? will we have to get rid of more future gen mechs as well? Just something to think about slightly.

See you all in WCOP

I feel that tera adds an extra layer of strategy to the game that is very important in a very luck dependent game such as this. While I agree it can get annoying at times I do not believe it is uncompetetive and I believe it helps the meta to continue to develop and allows many more strategies. I believe it is not broken and just requires more thought than people are used to.

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
I feel that tera adds an extra layer of strategy to the game that is very important in a very luck dependent game such as this. While I agree it can get annoying at times I do not believe it is uncompetetive and I believe it helps the meta to continue to develop and allows many more strategies. I believe it is not broken and just requires more thought than people are used to.
1679518493604.png

Fabriisse

formerly noobiste
dragapult,heatran, kingambit, iron valiant, dragonite, ape, walking wake, tapu lele,rain swift swimmer are mons frenquently given as example to prove that tera is unhealthy for the metagame. However, it's so bizarre to use a bunch of mon in order to determine that tera is unhealthy for all mons. Like nobody care if we tera mons like tapu koko, tapu bulu, clodsire ,skeledire and hundreds of mons who are oddly never given as an example to prove that tera deserve to be banned. Isn't it possible just to do a list of tera restriction that is to say, you can't tera a list of mons considered too strong with tera on battle ? Like we once did for the dynamax in gen 8 ubers where there was a dynamax restriction list.
However this time, it might work as tera is way more balance than dynamax

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
dragapult,heatran, kingambit, iron valiant, dragonite, ape, walking wake, tapu lele,rain swift swimmer are mons frenquently given as example to prove that tera is unhealthy for the metagame. However, it's so bizarre to use a bunch of mon in order to determine that tera is unhealthy for all mons. Like nobody care if we tera mons like tapu koko, tapu bulu, clodsire ,skeledire and hundreds of mons who are oddly never given as an example to prove that tera deserve to be banned. Isn't it possible just to do a list of tera restriction that is to say, you can't tera a list of mons considered too strong with tera on battle ? Like we once did for the dynamax in gen 8 ubers where there was a dynamax restriction list.
gonna copy this from another post bc i think its an adequate answer:

Ok let's say this goes though, and the top 6 terra abusers get banned, there is no guarantee that the next 6 won't be similarly broken. Also it's not just 6 mons, you can make a very convincing case for Dragapult, Kingambit, Zamazenta, Annihilape, Iron Valiant, Tapu Lele, Dragonite, Garganacl, Urshifu, Weavile, Volcarona, Barraskewda, Kartana, Floatzel and Walking Wake being broken, with the main factor behind that being terra. Banning literally half of the tier instead of banning a single mechanic is frankly just stupid.

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
I'm not saying banning all the broken tera users, i'm saying to resctrict them from being able to tera.
This is pretty much the same as doing a complex ban (X allowed, Y allowed, but X+Y is not), and in my opinion this kind of restrictions shouldn't be considered for the same reasons complex bans shouldn't be.

Kyo

In Limbo
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
National Dex Leader
From an information standpoint, how can you reasonably expect to remember a list of like 20 different broken tera abusers that we've decided to restrict? It's one thing to have a banlist of mons that are removed from the tier. You physically can't load into a game with them because PS! won't let you. The onus isn't on the player to remember that Mega Gengar is banned because it doesn't really matter in any given battle. Knowing if X, Y, or Z mon that's in front of me has the ability to Tera is far more impactful on gameplay, and this solution just feels like it would be incredibly janky for the playerbase.

Edit; I want to clarify that while it would be an improvement to remove some of the strongest Tera users, I can't really see this as a fix to the inherent issues that make Tera a problem. This tier still has a vast selection of setup mons which can abuse the mechanic in more or less the same way that a potentially bannable mon like Annihilape does. We've seen stored power Latios successfully mimic what was once Espathra's role on screens teams, and I don't think a decrease in the power level of Tera users in the tier necessarily translates to Tera being balanced.

Last edited:

adem

her
is a Tutoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Isn't it possible just to do a list of tera restriction that is to say, you can't tera a list of mons considered too strong with tera on battle ? Like we once did for the dynamax in gen 8 ubers where there was a dynamax restriction list.
this doesnt exist, unless you mean the actual games preventing pokemon from dmaxing, then no we cant do that, since that is LITERALLY A GAME MECHANIC preventing those pokemon, there is not and never has been a dynamaz restriction list, dynamax was flat out banned. also what r8 said about it being a complex ban anyways and a horrible precedent, just ban the broken thing lol.

However, it's so bizarre to use a bunch of mon in order to determine that tera is unhealthy for all mons. Like nobody care if we tera mons like tapu koko, tapu bulu, clodsire ,skeledire and hundreds of mons who are oddly never given as an example to prove that tera deserve to be banned
this is also quite a dumb example, dynamax isnt broken because weedle isnt broken with it ???? yes obviously because its a one time use mechanic and there are 20 million mons that use it better, it really is an argument that doesnt male sense. anyways theres a lot more mons that what you just listed thats stupid with tera so good luck trying to justify those too

tera is a stupidly broken mechanic, please dont be blinded by "creativity", it promotes the opposite of that indirectly and we would have to ban half the tier to even make it "fine"

As an outsider who reads these forums [including this thread] actively, I feel like I can probably say something about this in an educated manner. However, I feel like many of the points have already been stated well enough and as such, I'll try not to reinvent the wheel.

As much as I like Tera in concept [and to a lesser degree, execution], I will set this aside and just say that it is not sustainable in NatDex.

The way I see it, Tera was fine or at the very least manageable in SV OU since the power level there, while still generally high, is not as bad as it is here in NatDex. Sure, you have powerful mons like Gholdengo/Roaring Moon/Iron Valiant/Garganacl but so far they lack the traits that made Gens 6, 7, and even 8 massively powercrept. Without Megas and Z-Moves there the power level is much lower and as such I could definitely see Tera being ok there [watch HOME completely change this perception lol]. Here, the power level is way higher than it would be in SV OU because Megas, Z-moves, and a lot of generally powerful mons are here [old and new] which raises the overall power level considering their raw power and speed [and in a few cases bulk but that's a different story]. Given the high amount of threats in the tier, many of whom are massively powerful by themselves, Tera will only serve to make them even more powerful, if not, potentially push them over the edge.

I'll take Kingambit as an example since I can make a direct SV-NatDex comparison with this one. The mon is already good in standard SV OU even without Terastalization lending credit to great power thanks to Supreme Overlord + 135 atk and decent bulk thanks to good defenses and a decent defensive typing. If getting Knock Off didn't make it one of the best mons in the meta in combination with these traits, being able to Tera most certainly did especially with the former as well. Now, the Fighting and Ground weaknesses which held back Kingambit so badly no longer exist thanks to it being out of those weaknesses [primarily Flying but Fairy is most certainly suitable], which enables it to flip its matchups and potentially win a game you should've lost. Alternatively, it can just Tera Dark and let its Knock Offs and Sucker Punches go hard. This means that teams actively have to structure themselves in such a way that they can not only respond to base Kingambit but also to whatever Tera type that it's running. And given you have no idea when your opponent is going to Terastalize [oh yeah and you have to focus on Kingambit's teammates], even that may not be good enough to keep it in check.

This also applies to existing threats in the meta as well, mainly Dragonite and Annihilape, as well as mons that would probably be fine without it [Melmetal, Roaring Moon, Regieleki is shit without Tera but since it got banned it's going here anyways]. They can Terastallize into one of their existing typings or offensively, in general, to let their STABs or moves go nuclear [as Melmetal did w/ Tera Steel DIB, but also Tera Flying + Booster Energy + Acrobatics with Roaring Moon] or they can Terastallize to completely flip their matchups [Roaring Moon into something like Tera Steel to bypass that Fairy weakness, Regieleki offensively with Tera Ice giving it actual coverage].

I should reiterate that you have no way to predict WHEN they will Tera and as such you're forced to structure your team to be able to adequately respond to them. And once again, even that may not be enough since there's nothing stopping your opponent from just Teraing once their teammates have weakened your team down [you have to factor them in too]. [This is why Tera preview wouldn't work]

The extremely high power level of this tier also means if you fuck up a prediction [which you will absolutely have to do a lot of with Tera around] there's basically no coming back and you just get swept, creating a matchup-dependent environment. While predicts and punishing misplays will always be inherent in any metagame regardless of Tera, in such a high-power meta with Tera in mind there is basically zero leeway for fuckups and misplays. In my eyes, this significantly inhibits creativity since you're very constrained in teambuilding and what you can viably run as to not slip up and lose against all the threats in the meta. [The "creativity" defense of Tera fails for this reason]

TL;DR: High power meta = higher number of threats and even higher power ceiling of these threats due to the inherent power they carry. Tera pushes many of them over the edge since they can completely flip MUs [primarily Defensive Tera] or brute force their way through even defensive checks [same-type Tera, offensive Tera to boost/provide coverage]. Because you have no way to predict when they will Tera, teambuilding is constrained to such a degree where potential creativity is drastically inhibited since there's basically no way to cover all of the threats at once, which makes the meta feel extremely MU-fishy [which is not good!].

Last edited:

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
People have mentioned Latios being used for similar purposes, but has anyone used the same set for Latias? It's even more obnoxious than Latios in some drafts I'm in because of the extra bulk it has.

As for the mechanic itself, I don't think it's healthy for the metagame at all. Take the Latis and Cresselia for example: banning or restricting them will just introduce another tera abuser of a similar set (e.g. Reuniclus, Mew, etc). Do we really want to restrict/ban everything so NU/ZU Pokémon are the only ones allowed to use the mechanic?

Fabriisse

formerly noobiste
From an information standpoint, how can you reasonably expect to remember a list of like 20 different broken tera abusers that we've decided to restrict? It's one thing to have a banlist of mons that are removed from the tier. You physically can't load into a game with them because PS! won't let you. The onus isn't on the player to remember that Mega Gengar is banned because it doesn't really matter in any given battle. Knowing if X, Y, or Z mon that's in front of me has the ability to Tera is far more impactful on gameplay, and this solution just feels like it would be incredibly janky for the playerbase.

Edit; I want to clarify that while it would be an improvement to remove some of the strongest Tera users, I can't really see this as a fix to the inherent issues that make Tera a problem. This tier still has a vast selection of setup mons which can abuse the mechanic in more or less the same way that a potentially bannable mon like Annihilape does. We've seen stored power Latios successfully mimic what was once Espathra's role on screens teams, and I don't think a decrease in the power level of Tera users in the tier necessarily translates to Tera being balanced.
Yeah but is latios really that easy to setup or hard to rk ? because mons like regieleki,melmetal and chien pao were not just strong with tera, they were also easy to bring up or hard to rk. That's why i'm arguing that kingambit, iron valiant and dragapult are overpowered with tera because they are either hard to revenge kill because of their overwhelming speed. Like annilape on paper seems unbeatable, however a lot of mon can revenge kill ape such as zard y or lele.

this doesnt exist, unless you mean the actual games preventing pokemon from dmaxing, then no we cant do that, since that is LITERALLY A GAME MECHANIC preventing those pokemon, there is not and never has been a dynamaz restriction list, dynamax was flat out banned. also what r8 said about it being a complex ban anyways and a horrible precedent, just ban the broken thing lol.

this is also quite a dumb example, dynamax isnt broken because weedle isnt broken with it ???? yes obviously because its a one time use mechanic and there are 20 million mons that use it better, it really is an argument that doesnt male sense. anyways theres a lot more mons that what you just listed thats stupid with tera so good luck trying to justify those too

tera is a stupidly broken mechanic, please dont be blinded by "creativity", it promotes the opposite of that indirectly and we would have to ban half the tier to even make it "fine"
Ok who are those mons who are broken with tera ? Maybe clodsire is a strong setup sweeper that destroy easily.
Weedle is obvioubly an exagerated counter pick. What i'm saying is that dynamax is dumb cause this boosts both power and bulk whereas tera makes offensive stronger. However for defensive pokemon nobody complains about clodsire,ferrothorn,skeledirge being able to tera. What i wanted to mean is that tera is very strong for a bunch of pokemon and that's why i was wondering if a tera restriction in some pokemon were possible.
Also there was once upon a time, a list of pokemon in gen8ubers who were not allowed to dynamax. See by yourself.
Ubers now has a specific Ubers Dynamax Clause - bans only specific Pokémon from using Dynamax : stunfisk (reddit.com)
Even if my proposal is not ok. I genuily wonder why can't we do restriction like we can't tera with a stab or we have to show directly tera before the battle ? Those were proposal in gen 9 sv ou suspect test back in december for the tera. Like is tera still that troublesome if we can't tera with stab ?

Last edited:
Yeah but is latios really that easy to setup or hard to rk
latios is j one example of shitmon that now has tournament success j bc it clicked tera. You can also look at cres and for a more extreme example shed to prove how tera can take these complete shitmons and give them the ability to win games on the spot.

because mons like regieleki,melmetal and chien pao were not just strong with tera
ill give u melm, but eleki was j decent last gen, and you can't ascertain chien pao's brokeness is independent of tera, as it hasn't existed in an ou tier that dosen't have tera

overpowered with tera
then why are you defending tera helo

Ok who are those mons who are broken with tera
Dragapult, Kingambit, Zamazenta, Annihilape, Iron Valiant, Tapu Lele, Dragonite, Garganacl, Urshifu, Weavile, Volcarona, Barraskewda, Kartana, Floatzel, Walking Wake and whatever shitmon someone got 6-0'd by in a tour

What i'm saying is that dynamax is dumb cause this boosts both power and bulk whereas tera makes offensive stronger
helo terra is arguably better for defense than dmax bc defensive mons can actually use status moves and shit like scald while completely changing their type matchups

However for defensive pokemon nobody complains about clodsire,ferrothorn,skeledirge being able to tera
yes bc they don't have the tools to abuse tera. people do in fact complain about defensive tera in the case of garg, volc and kgambit to an extent. also noone complained abt toxapex's max guard walling everything so dmax isn't broken right?

Also there was once upon a time, a list of pokemon in gen8ubers who were not allowed to dynamax.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-ss-ubers-stage-4-power-dynamax-banned.3672664/

I genuily wonder why can't we do restriction like we can't tera with a stab or we have to show directly tera before the battle ? Those were proposal in gen 9 sv ou suspect test back in december for the tera.
the restrictions proposed by the sv ou council were as follows:
1. 1 Tera user per team. Most teams only tera one mon to begin with, and this would generate an additional problem in the teambuilder deciding whether to use your tera defensively or offensively. if two players in a given team have decided to use their teras offensively the game devolved into who can win first. also makes tera extremely one dimentional
2. Reveal Tera type at team preview. Most mons have at most 2 or 3 viable tera types, also u cant rlly do anything abt zamazenta clicking tera fight cc even if u know it's comming.
3. Only STAB Tera types allowed. stab tera is the biggest issue to begin with, this is j stupid

Fabriisse

formerly noobiste
latios is j one example of shitmon that now has tournament success j bc it clicked tera. You can also look at cres and for a more extreme example shed to prove how tera can take these complete shitmons and give them the ability to win games on the spot.

ill give u melm, but eleki was j decent last gen, and you can't ascertain chien pao's brokeness is independent of tera, as it hasn't existed in an ou tier that dosen't have tera

then why are you defending tera helo

Dragapult, Kingambit, Zamazenta, Annihilape, Iron Valiant, Tapu Lele, Dragonite, Garganacl, Urshifu, Weavile, Volcarona, Barraskewda, Kartana, Floatzel, Walking Wake and whatever shitmon someone got 6-0'd by in a tour

helo terra is arguably better for defense than dmax bc defensive mons can actually use status moves and shit like scald while completely changing their type matchups

yes bc they don't have the tools to abuse tera. people do in fact complain about defensive tera in the case of garg, volc and kgambit to an extent. also noone complained abt toxapex's max guard walling everything so dmax isn't broken right?

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-ss-ubers-stage-4-power-dynamax-banned.3672664/

the restrictions proposed by the sv ou council were as follows:
1. 1 Tera user per team. Most teams only tera one mon to begin with, and this would generate an additional problem in the teambuilder deciding whether to use your tera defensively or offensively. if two players in a given team have decided to use their teras offensively the game devolved into who can win first. also makes tera extremely one dimentional
2. Reveal Tera type at team preview. Most mons have at most 2 or 3 viable tera types, also u cant rlly do anything abt zamazenta clicking tera fight cc even if u know it's comming.
3. Only STAB Tera types allowed. stab tera is the biggest issue to begin with, this is j stupid
bruh don't start to act annoyed when you don't read my thread correctly. You are stating mons like latios can sweep easily team because of teracristallise, i rarely witness latios so can you please show some replay to see latios's brokeness at full extent, also i haven't met a single cress since melmetal so please a replay to prove your point. I said numerous times that i think some pokemon were very strong but for some i said that they were manageable to rk and others like kingambit, iron valiant and dragapult are too broken because of the difficulty to outspeed them. Also dynamax toxapex is not worthless maybe you forgot that with dynamax, toxapex can pass easily mons likes lando or heatran.
My last question is that if tera stab is banned, is this broken ? Answer the question, it's all.
Ubers now has a specific Ubers Dynamax Clause - bans only specific Pokémon from using Dynamax : stunfisk (reddit.com) One more time,specific restriction like this has existed but if you don't read, you're surely giving me this https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-ss-ubers-stage-4-power-dynamax-banned.3672664/ thinking that i was refering to that...

can you please show some replay to see latios's brokeness at full extent
A few replays of terra enabling bad mons to sweep:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1783844647
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1798070567-75d8fy6z2qw566haqsloi97ftz6uz45pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1806537972-yydqhj63ua0tx174etyanixxi61li0gpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-680507
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1827254081-rs20qhj0puwzpj393y1zautosyupfs5pw
All of the pokemon featured in these replays are extremely niche and their only role is being setup sweepers enabled by the free turn/resistances that tera affords them

Also dynamax toxapex is not worthless maybe you forgot that with dynamax, toxapex can pass easily mons likes lando or heatran
Sure but you could also dynamax your Gyarados on that same Lando or Tran and p much win on the spot

My last question is that if tera stab is banned, is this broken ? Answer the question, it's all.
Banning STAB tera would constitute a complex ban, and Smogon tends to stay away from this type of bans, given their lack of intuitiveness, potentially scaring newer players looking to get into the tier, and their historical ineffectiveness, often necessitating multiple iterations of the ban or more often simply leading to a simple ban. Additionally, while I agree that STAB tera is more broken than any other type of tera, I also believe that defensive tera is still an unhealthy presence in any metagame, since any pokemon can completely change its type chart on a whim any attack would effectively be a 50/50 deciding whether one's opponent will or won't tera into a type that resists that attack.

Ubers now has a specific Ubers Dynamax Clause - bans only specific Pokémon from using Dynamax : stunfisk (reddit.com) One more time,specific restriction like this has existed but if you don't read, you're surely giving me this https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-ss-ubers-stage-4-power-dynamax-banned.3672664/ thinking that i was refering to that...
I posted that thread to show how the example you gave is bad, given that the restriction proved ineffective, resulting in the suspect and subsequent ban of Dynamax in gen 8 ubers.

adem

her
is a Tutoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also there was once upon a time, a list of pokemon in gen8ubers who were not allowed to dynamax. See by yourself.
Ubers now has a specific Ubers Dynamax Clause - bans only specific Pokémon from using Dynamax : stunfisk (reddit.com)
fyi just to add on, this restriction was put on at the complete start of the generation, before ANY DLCs and before even Home was added, and was quickly just overturned for a ban once the add ons came. Yes, its possible, in very very limited cases like this, and even then as proven by the quick ban right after, its clear it didnt work! This is also a very specific case where only 10 pokemon was needed to be “restricted” and has no other prior precedent, and tiering decisions like this are generally looked down upon / not being able to be done. So even if this would solve the issue, which it wont, it wont get accepted as a proposal anyways, and it wont happen.

omarsgarciav has explained and addressed literally every other single point so, u the goat omar :heart:. all the replays they provided were high level tour replays too, just in case you try to dispute it on that basis.

okay so reading on a lot of this and the metagame discussion thread, it has come to my attention that a lot of you are completely awful and terrible at arguing an anti-terastilization stance, and often don't even understand the pro-Terastilization argument regardless of which tier

and a lot of why I know this, is because I have been on both sides of the argument, and still am; I enjoy Terastilization in some tiers, and think Terastilization is terrible in others (like this one.)

a lot of these arguments are unappealing to anyone who does not already agree with the argument, because most of them do not actually add anything to the discussion.

A common example:
-
"These Pokemon should be banned and Tera is a big part of why, I admit. But just ban the abusers rather than the mechanic."

"But it's standard and the big picture to ban the thing that breaks many Pokemon, rather than the Pokemon."

on the surface, this doesn't seem that bad, but it has a lot of implications that drag the conversation to a halt:

1. Terastilization is not just any random mechanic.

The way this argument is structed on the anti-Tera side of the argument is an easy way to explain the Smogon principle this is linked to. The difference, however, is that mechanics like that are generally more of say: A move, ability, item; and that is a large reason of why it's generally an agreeableargument.

However, the majority of people do not see Terastilization as a mechanic at that level, something you should just chuck away.

We can divide mechanics into two types:

Structural - This is the backbone of the battling mechanics. For instance, Gen 1's crit rates versus Gen 7's. The physical/special split existing or not, or Team Preview, Double Battles in Gen 3 having you switch in a Pokemon after it faints, and being open to being attacked. These are things that are directly tied to the core mechanics of the game.

Additive -This is the stuff that is generally used for tiering. Abilities, items, Pokemon, moves, etc. You can just pluck them out of a ruleset, and that's fairly small scale and easy.

However, a lot of people seem to argue against Terastilization like it's an Additive mechanic, when most people who disagree view it as Structural to the Paldean games.

This completely disconnects the two viewpoints about Terastilization more than any other, and I don't know why it isn't focused on more: Pro-Terastilization advocates (who are not just people who like the mechanic in singleplayer or whatever) see it as a structural pillar of Scarlet and Violet, and as a core mechanic rather than an additive one.

Every single point about Terastilization will at some point have to reach a side on this issue. For instance, when a lot of players who dislike Terastilization say they do not like it for X, Y and Z; it's generally framed as a mechanic that is throwaway. That because it has not been established for generations like say, Team Preview, it is on the same level as an Additive mechanic, only something that can get in the way of what they like about competitive Pokemon.

How to Argue Against this:

So, I have explained the two sides of this argument, and why it is immediately the disconnection in perspective. How do you convincea pro-Terastilization person against this argument? This depends on tier.

With Dynamax, it was simply so terrible that it really overrides any deeper implications present about what it meant for this sort of tiering to the average player. It was a month, then it was banned, and everyone moved on. This will clearly not be that way.

So, you have a few options:

>Argue using the opposite perspective.

"It's understandable to be on the fence about banning an instrumental component of battling in Gen 9, but it's simply something that has most of the community for its removal. Be this be because of them prioritizing the things that may have to be banned instead, or it not being enjoyable, or making certain teamstyles unplayable; Smogon exists to carve around Game Freak, rather than just use it to the best of our ability. While it could maybe be interesting to continue with Tera, it is in my opinion unfair that the majority of players have to play with it due to philosophical differences on what the mechanic is."

>Present the argument on the National Dex specific perspective.

"A lot of people even regarding the main Scarlet and Violet Smogon tiers still want the mechanic banned in their metagame, but in National Dex specifically, we are actively designing a game around what Game Freak has created, essentially. National Dex doesn't play much Generation 9, or give any care to its mechanics more than others. It specifically has the philosophy of carrying on past Generation 7's groundwork, and adding anything else as an additional thing, as of now. Besides some Pokemon from Paldea, Generation 9 National Dex has only really come with this one change on top of the Generation 7+ framework, that makes it come off as unimportant, naturally. Along with that, it is focused on allowing as many Pokemon as possible to relieve the community of the National Dex problem."

2. But Muh Pokemon

One of the most striking things about seeing people talk about Terastilization from an anti perspective is just how much of it is shaped by the Dynamax rhetoric of the time. And one of the most common ways I see this come out, is from the "Endless Abusers" argument. It goes a bit something like this:

"If Terastilization makes X, Y and Z abusers broken, just ban them."

"But then A, B and C will just take their place!"

I am not going to give an alternative argument in response, because any version of this is just terrible.

For one, the abusers listed in response are almost always Pokemon with very specific things that make them the way they are. Volcarona is a Pokemon known for adding matchup reliance into metagames, and has been for a time seen as broken in essentially every metagame its been in.

"Ban volc, not zama" -Finchinator, 2021

Volcarona, Regieleki, Garganacl, etc. If you HAVE to use this type of argument, only use Pokemon that are absolutely generic, or one could just as easily make the opposing argument:

"Well, why would X being broken with Tera mean A would be broken with it?"

The only time the But Muh Pokemon argument works, is when the opposing person has no clue what they are doing. Straight up. A lot of the time the listical of "Pokemon potentially broken by Terastilization" is filled with a lot of dumb things. Going back through National Dex threads, there have been a lot of Pokemon listed by good players who dislike Terastilization saying "this will probably have to be banned if Tera is not gone!!!" and they aren't even that good now.

You are going to have to work with the revision of the arguments from 1., because this argument leads to nothing: Even if you were to prove that 295828 something Pokemon have to be banned supposedly, if your perspective is that it takes prominence over individual Pokemon, then this does nothing.

also... "Slippery slope is a logical fallacy tha-"

Then How Do You Call Attention To This Fact In A Rhetorically Sound Matter?

Any argument using any number of Pokemon that "have to be banned" to save the mechanic, should be very conservative (and not riddled with "well maybe this one wouldn't be", along with "this one is debatable"s) to where they are generally just strong Pokemon that use the mechanic to a degree that is likely banworthy. One of the better examples I usually use is Tapu Lele: While generally just very strong, it has rarely ever been seriously on the chopping block ever since the Terrain nerf in Generation 8. Its Special Attack and Speed aren't even amazing, and its ability does a lot of the work while not being unconventional to work around. A strong and fast Pokemon that has an ability that boosts its power noticably, but not to an insane level; and yet Terastilization can push this much over the edge.

If that list comes out, then hopefully you already established a counter to the aforementioned usual flaws in arguing the side, and make great note about National Dex's strong identity about having as many Pokemon as possible. A lot of people directly go to National Dex to have the most full roster in an Overused-esque environment possible.

This way, you avoid the problem of the "power level"/scaling argument, which doesn't really make much sense. A lot of mechanics can power up Pokemon, but generally do get less absurd the lower you go. However, the National Dex priorities argument keeps this on track: Yes, we could trade a lot of power, but the tier is not about to cater to an (now established in context) additive mechanic, that low.

And for the love of God, I've seen many use examples that in main SV OU barely even Terastilize as arguments for its banworthiness, Yes different metagames different threats, but there are plenty of inarguable examples (ie. say, Roaring Moon) than Pokemon that could go from pressing Tera every game to once in every twenty in a few months.

3. How Does it Impact The Match

This is a point that a lot of anti-Terastilization arguments have done pretty well actually, so I don't have many notes. Kingambit Tera-Flying on Earthquake or Close Combat is a good example I've seen quite a bit, though it's also a bit exaggerated. A lot of these arguments fall short with how the conditions of the match have to be imagined, and how specific they get.

"You have 2 Pokemon left and the opponent has 0.6315 health remaining. If you click Earthquake on Landorus-Therian it will defeat the Kingambit and win the game, but if it Tera Fly's and uses Swords Dance, it wins the game with Sucker Punches. If you use Stone Edge, it will win the game if it does that."

it gets oddly specific and you can get into long tangents about the nature of how the game plays, risk versus reward, stuff like that. In fact, I'd argue the word "uncompetitive" is actually a very large flaw in these arguments, because a lot of people see this as risk reward, rather than an example of uncompetitiveness. This gets into another philosophical argument after another, and it's easier to just not say that word and instead imply the issue with a thing.

And don't be afraid to straight up say you just don't find it fun. For some reason a lot of people have been convinced on both sides that enjoyment cannot be a part of a Smogon competitive topic, which I at least find very silly. A lot of what we find competitive or uncompetitive is defined by ingrained philosophy and what we find fun. Arena Trap doesn't even require luck,, but people dislike it, and it makes teambuilding worse, so we don't play with it.

Calling people out for mentioning that they find the mechanic fun is also silly, because no, saying you find something fun does not actually imply that person thinks it is uncompetitive. This is the weirdest Twitter shit I see all the time. If someone says "I have fun with Terastilization" where in that sentence did that mfer say they think it's fun in spite of being uncompetitive. Fuck, we are on a competitive game forum, you could very easily get the opposite conclusion: "I have fun with Terastilization (in this competitive game, meaning it does not hinder my enjoyment with uncompetitiveness)".

Everyone here wants the best game possible. Don't just assume negatively because of some weird bias.

4. But We Have Options

The largest hurdle of the anti-Terastilization argument in National Dex is this: There are a lot of options to deal with Terastilization in tiering. And this is something I don't necessarily have an argument against. l think the simplest and easiest way to deal with the mechanic is to just ban it from the tier, no matter the "could've would've" scenarios. But a lot of people have valid opinions on the topic for restriction, and I won't be the one to shut that down.

However, from a binary, it really isn't that hard to argue for banning Terastilization in National Dex, and some of you are throwing.

I hope this sincerely helps lock out the last percentage of pro-Tera ND sentiment from the actual playerbase (will never convince some people), and helps readers develop their rhetorical skills. While I was a bit aggressive in the initial writing of it, I simply see it as tough love. I believe that with better rhetorical analysis and argumentation skills, we can guarantee that something gets done on this topic.

Cheers. <3

---
---
---

I'm not going to get into a long diatribe or explanation, because I don't think I'm qualified to leave a 12 paragraph response like some of y'all, but as a more casual player;

Tera is the reason I Stopped playing NatDex.

It just completely invalidates so many options and strategies I loved the tier for back in Gen 8. It makes me feel like I am forced to build my whole entire team around it or lose. Previously, though I wasn't exactly in the top esilons of Elo, I could do well with a self-made team made of pokemon I liked using, hovering around the 1350-1400 range and having close, intense games, and almost every loss felt like my fault instead of a bad match up.

Now, though, if I try and personalize my team in even a fraction of the way I did before, I lose. If I don't use the best Tera pokemon, I lose. If my opponent doesnt, I win. If I guess wrong once, I lose. If my opponent guesses wrong once, I win.
Gone are the days of a truely close match that comes down to the wire, where it felt possible to play out of misplays, or use your variety of options to bluff and scheme your way to a victory.
Now, every match feels like a foregone conclusion after a certain point. I'm playing with mons I don't like, in a meta I don't like, in matches that don't feel fun to win.

I feel Tera suppresses far more variety then it encourages, not just in STAB Tera, but even just normal Tera. I understand "The player base has previously made its decision regarding Tera in National Dex.", However, it's clearly changed massively and keeping the format outright unplayable for more casual-ish players like myself because of a decision made 4 months ago that enough people regret to justify a new vote honestly just feels... Mean.

I've been out of NatDex for months now because of Tera, so take that in mind with all this, but it seems like the problems that made me quit are just worse.

I understand why we can't suspect Tera right now, with a world cup in progress, but I feel it should be suspected Immediately afterwards.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)