Metagame Tera Donation

Hello everyone. It has been a quiet week for the meta. We know that there are a vocal few that have been doing well and have some interesting perspectives to bring to the meta. As such we are opening submissions for Sample Teams. Feel free to leave a team or two here, we would love to see them. The council will also work on providing a few of our own, but we would love to hear from our player base what teams you have been using, and what type of success it has brought you. This information will help the council understand the meta as it has been changing, and allow us to create/update the resources appropriately.

Thank you to all of you that have been enjoying Tera Donation as it has been starting out, and we hope that you will stick around to see what it will continue to be.

Quick question.
If say I lead off with say Water Tera, will other Water types on my team get an adaptability boost?

Quick question.
If say I lead off with say Water Tera, will other Water types on my team get an adaptability boost?
No. The lead Pokemon gets the benefit of Terastylization, but the rest of the team just gets the added type. If they already have the type, the only benefit they get is the type change on Tera Blast.

Note to self: set up an FAQ on the main page to clarify this, the current wording does not make it obvious.

No. The lead Pokemon gets the benefit of Terastylization, but the rest of the team just gets the added type. If they already have the type, the only benefit they get is the type change on Tera Blast.

Note to self: set up an FAQ on the main page to clarify this, the current wording does not make it obvious.
Alright thanks.
This was useful for Snow team I made
:glaceon: :abomasnow: :cetitan: :slowking: :great tusk: :baxcalibur:
I wanted to replicate that Iron Bundle Water/Freeze-Dry coverage, and the options for Freeze-Dry + Water coverage is very limited. Only 2 legal special attackers with this combo would be Tera Water Glaceon and Tera Water Cryogonal, and seeing that Glaceon has 130 SpA while Cryogonal is more support, I naturally went with Glaceon.
After that, I just picked some Pokemon that fit naturally on Snow team in order to help out Glaceon. The Teras for each Pokemon are there are multi purpose. Most provide great coverage for Glaceon (besides Great Tusk who focuses more on defense and could change), and sometimes overlap depending on what I need. Of course all the Tera types help Ice types exist too by letting them resist Fire, Steel, and Rock. The 2 non Ice types benefit from Ground and Water respectfully.

I made a team to try to abuse unaware and fix the bad typing of unaware users, based on my history in aaa I feel that dark is probably the best type for an unaware mon to nullify stored power and most calm minders, also resists power trip, clodsire loses it's psychic weakness, poison and ghost types benefit the most

tera dark skeledirge, with defensive answers that can sweep or set hazards, cheeky mimikyu as well as a revenge killer and fighting counter

https://pokepast.es/c3e533ce0eb03aca

Gimmicky

You give me chills, I've had it with the drills
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
With March nearly coming to a close, and our time as LCOTM ending soon, the Tera Donation council has decided to run a tiering survey, to figure out people's opinions on the metagame and the decision's we've made as a council. You can find a link to the survey HERE. The survey will run until the end of the month, and any relevant results will be analyzed and, potentially voted on in April. Thank you for playing Tera Donation, and thank you if you choose to fill out this tiering survey!

As a quick reminder, we are also accepting Sample Submissions! Those will, if schedules line up, be approved and out soon! Tera Donation will remain playable in some form after the month draws to a close, so this is hardly the end of the metagame!

Gimmicky

You give me chills, I've had it with the drills
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:sv/dragonite:Tera Donation has BANNED Terastallization!:sv/noivern:

As the month draws to a close, and responses to the survey finish pouring in, the Tera Donation council has decided to vote on whether Terastallization should be allowed in the format! According to the responses we got, many people found that the Terastal Phenomenon was too broken for the tier, saying that allowing your lead Pokemon to completely change it's type was uncompetetive and lead to unfair matchups. One user is quoted as saying, "Terastallization burned my crops! Why should I have to look at the tera-on-preview!". Due to this, and some concern from the council, we have voted to BAN Terastallization.

PQRDGAlexprunyyMomblastResult
Terastal ClauseImplementAbstainImplementImplementTERASTAL BAN

We hope that this new ban will lead to a far healthier metagame. Fundamentally, not much has changed. Due to the implementation of Terastal Clause, the whole team will now gain the primary type of the first Pokemon sent out as a second/third type. Also, happy April Fools! utc+0,americans

no tag for Kris today :)

Welcome back everyone, after a couple of quiet months Pokemon Home is here, and as such a set of bans will need to be put in place to keep this power level balanced. Here is what the council has agreed to ban at this time:

:Arceus: :Calyrex-Ice: :Calyrex-Shadow: :Dialga: :Dialga-Origin: :Eternatus: :Giratina: :Giratina-Origin: :Groudon: :Hoopa-Unbound: :Kyogre: :Landorus: :Mewtwo: :Palkia: :Palkia-Origin: :Rayquaza: :Urshifu: :Zacian: :Zacian-Crowned: :Zamazenta-Crowned:
(note: Urshifu-Single-Strike is banned by this, but Urshifu-Rapid-Strike is still allowed. Similarily, we are only banning Zamazenta-Crowned, but leaving the Hero form legal at this time)

We will also be banning Last Respects, and as such Unbanning Houndstone. :Houndstone:

This selection was very conservative, and we suspect that there will be a number of the Pokemon we left unbanned (Spectrier, Regieleki, etc.) that will prove to be too much for this meta. The council will be testing those Pokemon in the days to come before we make any final decisions on them.

Thank you all for your understanding, and happy Home-coming.

Tagging Kris to implement, thank you for all you do, this moment especially must be very busy for you.

Last edited:
Surprise! It's another post from the Tera Donation council. With the first batch of DLC dropping, we have decided to make a few bans to get rid of a couple of Pokemon that are arriving with the DLC, and a handful of threats we left in the tier during the last ban slate that we probably shouldn't have.

First, the two obvious new DLC Pokemon that got banned straight to Ubers that we do not want in our tier. :Darkrai: :Shaymin-Sky:
PQRDGGimmickyprunyyMomblast
Shaymin-SkyBANBANBANBAN
DarkraiBANBANBANBAN

Next, three Pokemon that we left in the tier but we probably shouldn't have. All three of these Pokemon were banned to Ubers thanks to their power with Terastylization, and paired with the tools this meta gives them it didn't seem fair to the player base to let them stick around. :Magearna: :Regieleki: :Spectrier:
MagearnaBANBANBANBAN
RegielekiBANBANBANBAN
SpectrierBANAbstainBANBAN

In a similar vein, a couple more Pokemon that have also been banned to Ubers, but this vote was a lot more controversial. Council will be keeping an eye on these, with the potential for these two to possibly be unbanned later. :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: :Volcarona:
Urshifu-RBANAbstainDNBBAN
VolcaronaAbstainBANDNBBAN

Finally, a tool that we have left in the tier for a while, Shed Tail. Orthworm has been a very useful Pokemon thanks to Shed Tail and Earth Eater, so apologies to players who were enjoying that option in their toolkit.
Shed TailBANBANBANAbstain

So, with all this said and done, here are the final results:

Darkrai, Magearna, Regieleki, Shaymin-Sky, Spectrier, Urshifu-Rapid-Strike, Volcarona, and Shed Tail have been BANNED in Tera Donation! Cyclizar has been Unbanned!

This was a big but necessary change. This should ensure more balance for the meta as the DLC era continues. We will keep an eye on a few other threats that are also on our radar but we believe this should be a solid step in the right direction. Hope you all enjoy this updated meta.

Tagging Kris to implement, what would we do without you

With DLC2 quickly approaching, the Tera Donation council has decided to get some bans quickly out of the way.

:Lugia::Ho-Oh::Zekrom::Reshiram::Kyurem::Solgaleo::Lunala:

All of the boxart legendaries above will be banned. If their fusions also make it into the game, they will also be banned.

:Kyurem-Black::Kyurem-White::Necrozma-Dusk-Mane::Necrozma-Dawn-Wings:

Lugia, Ho-Oh, Zekrom, Reshiram, Kyurem, Solgaleo and Lunala will be BANNED from Tera Donation! Kyurem-Black, Kyurem-White, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane and Necrozma-Dawn-Wings (if they exist) will also be banned.

One final announcement. Momblast and Gimmickyasitgets will both be stepping down from council, as they deal with other responsibilities. While filling the holes left by your absence will be difficult, I thank you both for the help you have been over the past year as I have struggled through leading a tier. I would not have been able to do nearly as well leading up until now without your guidance and wisdom. I hope that as we enter this DLC2 meta that I will be able to continue leading this tier in a better direction, and I hope you all continue to enjoy playing it.

Tagging Kris to prepare for what comes next.

In other news Tera Donation is hiring more people for council.

Edit: this ban was made immediately to acknowledge the big problematic legendaries we were aware of at the time. We will be looking into everything else over the next few days after the DLC drops.

Last edited:
Two posts in three days, you love to see it.

Due to some missing information when the previous ban post went up, we now know a bit more about the Pokemon that are coming with this DLC. As such, our two-person council has agreed to the following changes to the banlist:

:Deoxys: :Deoxys-Attack: :Deoxys-Speed: :Terapagos:

Deoxys, Deoxys-Attack, Deoxys-Speed, and Terapagos will be banned from Tera Donation! Hoopa-Unbound will be unbanned.

The Deoxys forms are very strong and can be hard to deal with, and while Deoxys-Speed isn't nearly as strong as the other two forms we are banning, its high Speed when considered within Tera Donation can make it a veritable threat. Terapagos is being banned simple due to the insane power of its Terastylized form making it an insanely powerful lead for this meta. Finally, Hoopa-Unbound was banned in a move that may have been premature, so we are unbanning it to see if it can be a balanced part of the post-DLC meta.

Hi Kris sorry for the double ping. Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)