Telltale Games is doing something amazing

Watch this

Big Image

Telltale games is making a new game. What's so special about it? It has Tyco from penny arcade, Max from Sam and Max, the Heavy from TF2, and Strongbad from Homestarrunner ALL IN THE SAME GAME. There's no indication as to what genre the game will be or when we'll see it, but it looks amazing!

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm honestly trying not to get my hopes up, because these kind of things always could be a disappointment. Although this might end up as some sort of package game release, also does this mean telltale will be in control of the Penny Arcade Episodic games?

It just leaves too much to the imagination, darn it's hard not to be excited.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Penny Arcade Adventures series was cancelled, ControllerOfFlames. Tycho is finishing it off in text form.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This looks... shit. I'm really disturbed that this passes as a concept for a game. I can't imagine the GDD being any more inspired than some of the things I came up with in elementary school.

the trailer that I "had to watch now" reveals no more than your pic.

Sam from sam n max died when they tried to follow up "hit the road" with the shitty episode 1...or something. Max was always the better one.

If they REALLY wanted to impress me they'd cut all four of these fucks and release TIE Fighter 2, given the obvious links to Lucasarts.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This looks... shit. I'm really disturbed that this passes as a concept for a game. I can't imagine the GDD being any more inspired than some of the things I came up with in elementary school.
I'm sorry but what the hell? Watching the trailer, it's clearly just a 15 second spot showing the characters involved in the game. Those excited about it are going off Telltale's previous games which are critically acclaimed adventure titles. How did you even make an evaluation of the game design document off that?

It's getting increasingly frustrating to read your posts as you seem to think you have a more important opinion of these as someone who develops games even though I haven't seen a single clue as to what titles you have under your belt.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I'm sorry but what the hell? Watching the trailer, it's clearly just a 15 second spot showing the characters involved in the game. Those excited about it are going off Telltale's previous games which are critically acclaimed adventure titles. How did you even make an evaluation of the game design document off that?

It's getting increasingly frustrating to read your posts as you seem to think you have a more important opinion of these as someone who develops games even though I haven't seen a single clue as to what titles you have under your belt.
Why exactly are you getting frustrated over my posts? Have I said anything blatantly incorrect, or just things you disagree with?

Four totally unrelated characters, two of which aren't even video games characters. I can guarantee you the pitch was "Hey, we have the rights to these four popular internet characters," and the producer said, "stop, do it". And if it somehow it ended being an amazing game then I would eat my words. But oh look, it's Poker. Why did you wait until the anticlimactic reveal one month after my post to contradict me when I was right? That should speak for itself.

You're not entitled to know the details of my work just because I say I'm a game designer. I get so sick and tired of people riding my ass for that anywhere I go online, of course you don't know what I've done. Other people here do, people I've talked to privately who have asked politely know the nature of my work, I am not going to post my resume just because someone felt they had to assert their superiority when talking about their hobby.

I haven't looked down on any of your posts involving video games, I haven't ever said anything to the nature of "I'm right because I make games". I have said when talking about collectible card games that if you haven't made a whole set you don't know the kind of work it takes, and I can tell you exactly what kind. ~144 cards can be designed in a week without doing anything else. That's framework, rough draft, proofreading, then all the little things like flavor and secondary design elements. That doesn't include graphic design, which if I'm doing will take about three days. I say that people underestimate the work it takes because I know from experience, and I've used that argument to in job interviews before. Now if I were you, I'd really take a good look at my video game related posts and ask yourself if I've really been telling other people that my opinion was more important, or if I've just been assertive and knowledgeable just enough to rub you the wrong way when you happened to have a different opinion.

Firestorm

You've been assertive enough to do so, but I wouldn't say knowledgeable enough to do so. I unfortunately missed your post until just now.

In any case, they did not have the rights to those four popular characters. Neither Heavy Weapons Guy nor Tycho are owned by Telltale. They obviously talked with both parties - both of whom I would assume are fans of Telltale's games to get permission to use them. Telltale's titles are well-regarded due to their writing. It makes pretty good sense to include four characters from franchises known for being funny. That's why people are hyped for this game.

The OP said we don't know what type of game it will be, but I'd say we do. It's going to be just like all of Telltale's other games. Point and Click adventure title.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
You've been assertive enough to do so, but I wouldn't say knowledgeable enough to do so. I unfortunately missed your post until just now.

In any case, they did not have the rights to those four popular characters. Neither Heavy Weapons Guy nor Tycho are owned by Telltale. They obviously talked with both parties - both of whom I would assume are fans of Telltale's games to get permission to use them. Telltale's titles are well-regarded due to their writing. It makes pretty good sense to include four characters from franchises known for being funny. That's why people are hyped for this game.

The OP said we don't know what type of game it will be, but I'd say we do. It's going to be just like all of Telltale's other games. Point and Click adventure title.
"We have the rights," or "We think we can get the rights" or "We'll throw darts at a board and try to get whatever rights we can". It makes little difference.

And it isn't a point and click adventure, it is Poker. http://www.telltalegames.com/store/pokernight . It's decently priced Poker, it may even be really good Poker. But I probably never would have bitched in the first place if they had just been transparent and said that it was Poker instead of a 15 second teaser trailer that no one else saw through.

Now mind telling me exactly how I'm not knowledgeable enough? Can you poke into my brain and extract that information or can you provide specific examples of me not being knowledgeable about game design? And just so we both have to post less, computer hardware =/= game design.

Fuck, I didn't even go into the Halo Reach thread to bitch about the hype it's received. I thought that was being pretty well behaved but I guess you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Firestorm

Unfortunately, I stopped keeping up with the game. It's too bad it's a Poker game as there's some wasted potential there. That said, I have high hopes for the dialogue.

I said you weren't knowledgeable enough to annoy me because knowledge doesn't annoy me. I've never said computer hardware is equal to game design either. I also have no idea why not posting in a Halo Reach thread is relevant to this discussion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)