Team building help / RMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, this is my first Little Cup team that I built for laddering, and while I find it pretty powerful thus far, I'm struggling to deal with some common threats. Here's the team as it stands:

Porygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
Level: 5
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Trick
- Psychic

I built my team around Porygon, and I don't regret it. This thing is a menace. If I trap their Steel and kill their Ghost, it's pretty much game over if I can get it in on a low SpD Pokemon. Psychic is to hit poison types I guess but in practice I've literally only ever clicked Tri Attack and Trick, so go ahead, feel free to tell me what other coverage moves would be better.

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Fake Out

Mandatory Mienfoo. No complaints here, other than that I'm finding that it quickly gets overwhelmed pivoting vs offense.

Abra @ Shed Shell
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 36 Atk / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Punch
- Substitute

I opted for SubPunch over Fire Punch just because this thing's HP doesn't matter. Honestly, I'm kind of considering switching the ability to Inner Focus--plowing through Mienfoo Fake Out to kill it turn 1 with Psychic would be really funny, and Magic Guard never comes up.

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 76 HP / 116 Atk / 76 Def / 156 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- First Impression
- Feint

Traps and eliminates key threats to the team. I prefer it to Diglett for a few reasons: First Impression lets it revenge kill fast Bug-weak offensive threats like Grookey and Abra, its higher bulk lets it pivot in on neutral moves, and in general I find that it pulls its weight in matchups where there's nothing to trap more than Diglett does.

Ponyta-Galar @ Eviolite
Ability: Pastel Veil
EVs: 236 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Mystical Fire
- Morning Sun

I initially added this for some kind of Psychic spam build which would wear down shared checks between Ponyta and Abra, but I think this is the weakest link overall, and what I'm most inclined to switch out. It's not as fast as Porygon, and not as strong as Abra, and even after 1 Calm Mind it typically can't clean and it rarely recovers enough with Morning Sun to sit on anything. Looking for another offensive wincon to replace Ponyta.

Pawniard @ Berry Juice
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SpD / 116 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

Rocker, priority, knock support, bulky, flinches everything. A chip off the old block, love this little guy

Edit: I forgot to specify, I keep getting packed by Abra mirror and Jellicent, specifically, and I typically have to sac a pokemon vs Corphish.

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LC Leader
Hi this isn't the correct place to ask for help with your teams. New threads need mod approval to help keep clutter down. The rmt section which wesh papillon linked to is a better place to do so but they have rules about description lengths which you should mind.

The LC discord has a #swsh_lc channel which is also a good place to solicit feedback on teams.

I agree with you that Ponyta-G is your weakest link. Between Abra and Porygon you have a lot of offense and little defensive abilities. You can consider running a Natu and replacing Trick on Porygon with Thunderbolt to ease your initial concerns and keep the two Psychic idea. If you are open to more chances, check out the discord for more advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)