Strategy & Metagame Team Archetypes in ORAS LC: Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to suggest a series of four articles describing different team archetypes in LC, each covering a different group of archetypes, organized by how they play.

Article 1: This article will cover teams that rely on offensive pressure to succeed, in particular core-based hyper offense, VoltTurn and trapping-reliant teams.
Article 2: This article will focus on teams that are more dependent on defensive synergy, specifically bulky offense, balance and standard LC stall.
Article 3: This article will deal with teams that utilize speed-controlling strategies to gain a significant advantage over the opposition, these archetypes being Sticky Web and weather, with possible mentions of Torchpass and paralysis spam, since the latter two are not really full archetypes.
Article 4: This article will examine the remaining, more gimmicky builds, including Baton Pass chains, traditional stall, and others that don't fit into the other categories.
Keep in mind that specific builds within each category often overlap with each other, although there is very rarely cross-category overlap.

Aerow, Corporal Levi, and I can write it. Here is a possible skeleton for the first article:

Team Archetypes in ORAS LC: Offense

Introduction:
Explanation of how this series will work, brief introduction to the idiosyncrasies of LC.

Hyper Offense

Introduction: How the playstyle functions and a brief history of the playstyle in gen 6 LC.

Playing Hyper Offense: Brief explanation of how to play it, e.g. relying on pressuring opponent etc.

Threats to Hyper Offense: Common Pokemon or strategies that give hyper offense trouble.

Hyper Offense Teambuilding: The structure of common hyper offense teams, e.g. Stealth Rock setter, set up sweepers, etc. Also includes common Pokemon on hyper offense teams, for example Archen, and why they are used so frequently.

Sample Hyper Offense Team: Maybe something like kektus's team that I used against Mambo in SPLC, probably something more iconic though.

VoltTurn

Introduction: How the playstyle functions and a brief history of the playstyle in gen 6 LC.

Playing VoltTurn: Brief explanation of how to play it, e.g. get momentum by pressuring opponent and then using Volt Switch/U-Turn to switch into something that beats it etc.

Threats to VoltTurn: Common Pokemon or strategies that give voltturn trouble.

VoltTurn Teambuilding: The structure of common voltturn teams, e.g. obligatory Mienfoo, hazard removal etc. Also includes common Pokemon on voltturn teams, for example Larvesta, and why they are used so frequently.

Sample VoltTurn Team: I'm really not sure what to put here, maybe just like a typical Mienfoongus team.

Trapper Teams:

Playing Trapper Teams: Brief explanation of how to play it, e.g. pressure an opponent with a sweeper and then use a trapper to remove their checks to it.

Threats to Trapper Teams: Common Pokemon that give trapper teams trouble.

Trapper Team Teambuilding: The structure of common trapper teams, e.g. Gothita or Diglett, momentum Pokemon like Mienfoo. Also includes common Pokemon on trapper teams, for example Gothita, and why they are used so frequently.

Sample Trapper Team: Maybe one of boo's teams, since he's really good at building that type of teams.

Conclusion: Recap of all three archetypes.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to contribute!

Last edited:
Alright, will do. I thought the title was a bit unwieldy as well, but I couldn't think of anything else. Thanks!

Great, thanks! I'll post the thread tomorrow when I get off mobile, or I might make Levi post it tonight.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah im cool with it as long as you make clear separation between the types since HO can include volturn and trapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)