Tatersalad vs. Brawley, a close call (Warstory)

Earlier on today, I experienced a rather close battle with someone who goes by the name of Brawley on Shoddy Battle. He was asking around for a challenge, so I gladly challenged. Little did I know that he would give me one hell of a close battle. And as I wrote this crappy introduction, I thought this may be worthy of my first attempt at a warstory. (Note that I will leave Sandstream and Leftovers out)

Brawley's Team:

Swampert
Starmie
Gallade
Jirachi
Dragonite
PorygonZ

Tater's Team:

Tyranitar
Roserade
Cresselia
Gliscor
Dragonite
Lucario

I've yet to make changes to this team, even though I've intended to recently. And to tell you the truth, I dont like T-tar much as a lead....

Brawley sent out Swampert.
Tatersalad sent out Tyranitar.
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
A sandstorm brewed!

....and here's a good reason why. Knowing that the great muddy beast called Swampert man's up to Tyranitar's strongest attacks and craps on him with Earthquake, I call my prehistoric fatass back, and I send out Roserade to show Mud Boy what's what. I wasn't to worried about taking a hit, for old Swampy would probably use the switch to lay down Stealth Rock.

Tatersalad switched in Roserade.
Swampert used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!
The sandstorm rages.
Roserade is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Roserade lost 6% of its health.
Roserade: 94% HP
Swampert: 100% HP

Swampert's eyes narrow as Roserade leers at the beast, ready to rip it to pieces in a fury of leaves. Knowing that it would be foolish to keep Swampert in, I'm sure he'll switch. I wasn't sure who would switch in, and didn't want to use HP Fire just yet, so Roserade prepared a Sludge Bomb instead. Most things taking a neutral hit from Sludge Bomb will be in pain.

Brawley switched in Starmie.
Roserade used Sludge Bomb.
Starmie lost 87% of its health.
Roserade: 88% HP
Starmie: 13% HP

Apparently, Brawley anticipated HP Fire and took a huge risk, but the result was a crippled Star. I needed to get Rosey out, as Starmie was faster and could Ice Beam Rosey back to hell. I decided to send in Cresselia and her Lugia-like defensive abilities.

Tatersalad switched in Cresselia.
Pointed stones dug into Cresselia.
Cresselia lost 12% of its health.
Starmie used Ice Beam.
Cresselia lost 11% of its health.
Cresselia: 77% HP
Starmie: 13% HP

As expected, Cressy takes bullshit from Ice Beam, but I see Stealth Rock beginning to be a problem. I know Starmie isn't staying in to tango with Cressy, but for some stupid reason, I make a blind switch to Roserade, hoping for an advantage.

Brawley switched in Gallade.
Pointed stones dug into Roserade.
Roserade lost 12% of its health.
Roserade: 70%
Gallade: 100%

Ah, Gallade. Chances are, it was a double status set of some sort. However, this following turn is where I made the most costly mistake of the match, completely screwing myself over. I had lost my nerve at the time, so I wasn't sure what Gallade would do. I could've stayed in, blasted it with Leaf Storm, then switch out to Cressy (who ran Rest-talk) to take a 2nd Hypnosis (due to Rosey's Natural Cure) or I could've switched to Cressy right away. Instead.....

Tatersalad switched in Gliscor.
Pointed stones dug into Gliscor.
Gliscor lost 12% of its health.
Gallade used Hypnosis.
Gliscor fell asleep!
Gliscor: 94% (Sleep)
Gallade: 100% and pissing me off

Oh no. What the fuck did I do that for? A voice in my head screamed "TATER YOU FUCKHEAD!" Shame at my own damned stupidity crashed around me. Gliscor was my physical wall, one that would otherwise stop Gallade in it's tracks had I just let someone else sleep. Now I've fucked myself over.

Trying my best to push that down, I pushed forward, and for some reason, decided now was a good time to send in Cresselia ._.

Gallade used Psycho Cut.
It's not very effective...
A critical hit!
Cresselia lost 21% of its health.
Cresselia: 44%
Gallade: 100% and still pissing me off

Well, cool, no Night Slash (or so I hoped). Cresselia can't do a thing to Gallade, but now I see that Gallade can't do much back. I decided to poke away at it with an Ice Beam.

Cresselia used Ice Beam.
Gallade lost 15% of its health.
Gallade used Thunder Wave.
Cresselia is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Cresselia: 44% (Paralyzed)
Gallade: 85%

Whoah, Cresselia was faster? Interesting, but it's irrelevant now that Cresselia is paralyzed. I was forced to rest or eventually die. But I never knew the nightmare that would switch into me....

Brawley switched in Jirachi.
Cresselia is paralysed! It can't move!
Cresselia: 44% (Paralyzed)
Jirachi: 100%

Well shit, fully paralyzed. Not good. Jirachi sent shivers down my spine. I knew I was in trouble now. Calm Mind Jirachi would rip me apart, and the Reflect/Zen Headbutt/Wish/U-turn varieties were a pain. Whichever it was, I was soon to find out.

Jirachi used Reflect.
A barrier was formed!
Cresselia used Rest.
Cresselia fell asleep!
Cresselia restored 57% of its health.
Cresselia: 100% (Sleep)

I was to get Cresselia to full health, but now that Reflect was in place, I had little to actually stop Jirachi. It was looking grim. I fought back the urge to crap my pants, and decided that the least I could do is force the bastard out with....

Tatersalad switched in Tyranitar.
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar.
Tyranitar lost 12% of its health.
Jirachi used Wish.
Jirachi made a wish!
Tyranitar: 88%

Knowing full well that it was about to take a Super Effective U-turn, and then have to face Swampert, Tyranitar got ready to Crunch Swampert for as much damage as he can muster. But....

Jirachi used U-turn.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Tyranitar lost 63% of its health.
Brawley switched in Swampert.
Tyranitar used Crunch.
Swampert lost 22% of its health.
Swampert's defence was lowered.
The wish came true!
Swampert restored 50% of its health.
Tyranitar: 25%
Swampert: 100%

That Critical Hit was bad, VERY bad, for me. The prospect of dealing with Swampert was bad enough, but with T-tar practically crippled, it could hardly get worse. Knowing Earthquake was on it's way, I switch in Cresselia to avoid it.

Cresselia makes ground moves miss with Levitate!
Swampert used Earthquake.
Swampert's attack missed!
Cresselia: 88% (Sleep)

Lacking Grass Knot, I could do nothing. I decided to switch to Roserade, in hopes that Swampert will have used Waterfall or something.

Pointed stones dug into Roserade.
Roserade lost 12% of its health.
Swampert used Stone Edge.
Swampert's attack missed!
Roserade: 58%

Phew. I clutched my heart, amazed at my luck of Stone Edge missing. Had it connected, Roserade would have surely snuffed it. Now Swampert is forced to switch out or face the possibility of Leaf Storm. I'm pretty sure I know who Brawley will send in...

Brawley switched in Jirachi.
Roserade used Hidden Power.
Jirachi lost 31% of its health.
It's super effective!
Roserade: 52%
Jirachi: 75%

....and I was right, but Jirachi took it like it was nothing. I decided to chip away at it with another HP Fire, and Roserade met her untimely doom.

Roserade used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Jirachi lost 28% of its health.
Jirachi used Zen Headbutt.
Roserade died unceremoniously
It's super effective!
Tatersalad switched in Dragonite.
Pointed stones dug into Dragonite.
Dragonite lost 25% of its health.
Dragonite: 75%
Jirachi: 53%

(5 - 6, Brawley)

I was running a mixed Nite set, which happily included Flamethrower. I bet Brawley was expecting a DDNite, and decided to throw up a Reflect.

Jirachi used Reflect.
A barrier was formed!
Dragonite used Flamethrower.
It's super effective!
Jirachi lost 51% of its health.
Jirachi: on it's death bed with like 8%

Finally, this Star Headed aluminum son of a bitch was about to be gone for good, but not before throwing up a Reflect, than wishing.

Jirachi used Wish.
Jirachi made a wish!
Dragonite used Flamethrower.
Jirachi lost 50% of its health.
It's super effective!
Brawley's Jirachi fainted. (Thank GOD...er, Arceus)
Brawley switched in Dragonite.
Dragnoite*: 100%

(5 - 5)

Hmm, an enemy Dragonite. I had no idea what type of Nite this was, and wasn't sure how to deal with. All I know is that his Note will be marked with * to prevent confusion. If Cresselia wasn't sleeping, I could come in and Ice Beam it, but that possibility was futile. Instead, I take a chance. If this works out, his Nite will be no more....

Dragonite* used Dragon Dance.
Dragonite's* attack was raised.
Dragonite's* speed was raised.
Dragonite used Draco Meteor.
You got knocked the fuck out!% damage
It's super effective!
Brawley's Dragonite fainted.
Dragonite's special attack was harshly lowered.
The sandstorm rages.
Brawley switched in Porygonz.
Porygonz: 94%

(5 - 4, me)

YES! There will be no rampaging through my team for you, Brawley! (or so I hoped >.>).

Porygonz was a very potent threat. One Nasty Plot meant I was pretty much screwed now. I was sure my opponent would try to get a Nasty Plot on the switch, so I stayed in and aimed a Focus Punch

Dragonite is tightening its focus!
Porygonz used Nasty Plot.
Porygonz's special attack was sharply raised.
Dragonite used Focus Punch.
Porygonz lost 61% of its health. (fucking Reflect >.<)
It's super effective!
Porygonz: 27%

Damn you Reflect! With Porygonz still alive (gravely wounded, yes, but alive) I had to switch or die. I had no idea what item Porygonz had, but it wasn't Leftovers. I sent in Cresselia. She's was going to die soon anyway, and her usefulness I feel is no more.

Porygonz used Ice Beam.
Cresselia lost 33% of its health.
Cresselia: 43%
Porygonz: 21%

Good bye Space Duck.

Porygonz used Tri Attack.
Cresselia lost 45% of its health.
Tatersalad's Cresselia quacked
Porygonz's reflect wore off! (YES)
Tatersalad switched in Lucario.
Pointed stones dug into Lucario.
(bullshit damage)
Lucario: 100%
Porygonz: 14%

(4 - 4)

I used this oppurtunity to bring my Cleaner Upper in, Lucario. I ran a Swords Dance/Extreme Speed set. Sadly, he will never get to dance with swords this battle, but Lucario nearly got me a comeback.

Lucario used Extremespeed.
Porygonz lost 38% of its health.
Brawley's Porygonz fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
Brawley switched in Starmie.
Starmie: 13%

(4 - 3, me)

Porygonz was in Extreme Speed range, so I fired one off to finish it. Then out came Starmie. Fast as it was, Starmie was no match for Extreme Speed.

Starmie lost 30% of its health.
Brawley's Starmie fainted.
Brawley switched in Gallade.

(4 - 2, me)

Now Gallade was a problem for Lucario. It could either T-wave me and thoroughly screw Lucario over, or it could simply annihilate it with Close Combat. It wasn't much in the mood for either choice, so I sent in Dragonite for his final moments of glory.

Tatersalad switched in Dragonite.
Pointed stones dug into Dragonite.
Dragonite lost 25% of its health.
Gallade used Thunder Wave.
Dragonite is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Dragonite: 50% (Paralyzed)

I opened up Serebii to look at Arceus's sprite, and prayed. Prayed that Dragonite can survive one more hit to gravely injure Gallade, putting it into Extreme Speed range. Prayed that the cursed Full Paralyzation would hold off....

Gallade used Psycho Cut.
Dragonite lost 42% of its health.
Dragonite used Draco Meteor.
Gallade lost 59% of its health.
Dragonite's special attack was harshly lowered.
Dragonite: 8% (Paralyzed)
Gallade: 26%

Barely clinging to life, Dragonite fired off one final Draco Meteor. Gallade was now in Lucario's killing range. Things were not so nightmarish anymore for me.

Gallade used Psycho Cut.
Dragonite lost 40% of its health.
Tatersalad's Dragonite fainted.

You did great, Dragonite. RIP you Barney look-a-like bastard.

Tatersalad switched in Lucario.
Pointed stones dug into Lucario.
(bullshit damage)
Gallade: 26%
(3 - 2, me)

Lucario was in, and Gallade was about to be sent back to Hell. Gallade, who had caused me so much trouble for my own stupidity, will now be killed with a vengeance.

Gallade lost 31% of its health.
Brawley's Gallade fainted.
Brawley switched in Swampert.

(3 - 1, me)

Well damn. Swampert is his last guy, and he can't take all three remaining members of my team. Time to sacrifice Lucario to wear it down.

Lucario used Close Combat.
Swampert lost 39% of its health.
Lucario's defence was lowered.
Lucario's special defence was lowered.
Lucario lost 264% (holy shit) of its health.
It's super effective!
Tatersalad's Lucario fainted.
Tatersalad switched in Tyranitar.
Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar.
Tyranitar lost 12% of its health.
Tyranitar: 13%
Swampert: 67%

(2 - 1, me)

Lucario, your memory will live on.

Anyways, Tyranitar is barely alive by the skin of his balls. Swampert had 2/3 it's health left. Would one, final Choice Banded Crunch from my fat fuck dinosaur finsihed the Mud Boy off?

Tyranitar used Crunch.
Swampert lost 50% of its health.
0wn3d % Damage
It's super effective!
Tatersalad's Tyranitar fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
Tatersalad switched in Gliscor.
Pointed stones dug into Gliscor.
Gliscor lost 12% of its health.
Gliscor: 88% (Sleep)
Swampert: 23%
Tatersalad: gg
Brawley: gg

(1 - 1)

Hmm, I guess not. We're tied 1-1, his low health Swampert Vs my Sleeping Gliscor. We said our "good games" to one another, because I knew I was screwed. Swampert could just sit there and OHKO with Ice Beam or something. I was prepared to leave. A hard fought batlle for the both of us for sure, but Brawley's victory was now assured. Even if Gliscor was awake, there wasn't too much I could do....

Gliscor is fast asleep!
Swampert used Avalanche.
It's super effective!
Gliscor lost 36% of its health.
Gliscor: 58%
Swampert:27%

Wait, Avalanche does that little to Gliscor? Apparently, he didnt put much into attack or something. Seeing a little ray of hope, I pray to Arceus once more that Gliscor would awake. I could then use Roost, and whittle at Swampert with Earthquake. I would have a fighting chance.

Gliscor is fast asleep!
Swampert used Avalanche.
It's super effective!
Gliscor lost 38% of its health.
Gliscor: 30%
Swampert: 33%

Come one, Gliscor, wake up! Gliscor waking up and winning would make this a typical close warstory moment that I need. I was bellowing at Gliscor to wake up.....

Fortunately......

Gliscor is fast asleep!
Swampert used Avalanche.
It's super effective!
Gliscor lost 40% of its health.
Tatersalad's Gliscor fainted.

....for Brawley, Gliscor stayed asleep, and was put to rest by one final Avalanche.

Brawley wins! (0 - 1)

What an amazing battle for me that was very close in the end. Aside from my downright stupid mistakes, it was great battle. I hope any readers will somewhat enjoy this.

Props:
-Brawley, for the amazing match
-Dragonite, for finishing Jirachi, killing the enemy Dragonite, and putting Gallade into Lucario's kill range.
-Aforementioned Lucario, for finishing off two pokes, and putting a dent into Swampert.
-The close call at the end. Rather exciting.
-Roserade, because it's cool like that

Slops:
-Me, for making some extremely stupid mistakes
-Cresselia, who was near useless this match.
-Swampert, for killing off half of my team in the end.
-T-tar dealing next to no damage the entire match.
-The "fortunately" I 'borrowed' it from one of Seph258's warstories >.>

Moral:
-Tyranitar leads suck.
-Don't switch Gliscor into a Gallade Hypnosis. Just don't.
-Don't lose your nerve in a battle.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Wow that was really close, and a pretty enjoyable read aswell. One mistake you did though was write (1-1) after Lucario died to Swampert, instead of (2-1). Good battle.

Bah, switching Gliscor into Hypnosis wasn't that bad, IMHO. 70 accuracy + Sand Veil, afterall.

Don't forget Avalanche is only 60 base power if not being struck first (less than Ice Fang). Even at 4x weak, that low power w/ out stab isn't doing much to Gliscor. IIRC, my Gliscor, which I only run 100 EVs in defense with, was only a four or five hit KO against Donphan Ice Shard.

I don't know why, but reading that makes me want to level an Extremespeed Lucario :|

Good battle, pity you ended up losing that one though :(

Good game. One of the few shoddystories that entertained me.

Couldn't you have let Roserade take the Hypnosis though? Even if you called it back next turn they wouldn't have been allowed to use Hypnosis again because they wouldn't have known if Roserade had Natural Cure or Poison Point?

I have noticed that sleep seems to last a really long time on Shoddybattle. Dunno if it's a bug or not, but my Kyogre slept for 5 turns last night in an ubers game (grrrr Jumpluff). Anyway, good game and warstory, poor T-Tar. Earthquakes>Rock Lizards.

Slops for giving away that you lost, even though you tried to keep us guessing at the end. Giving away the ending kind of ruins a Warstory.

Regardless, I really liked this Warstory. Well-written, funny at some points, and both of you made good switches (besides the Gliscor switch).

Good game. One of the few shoddystories that entertained me.

Couldn't you have let Roserade take the Hypnosis though? Even if you called it back next turn they wouldn't have been allowed to use Hypnosis again because they wouldn't have known if Roserade had Natural Cure or Poison Point?
One of the better things about PBR friend battles and online simulators is Sleep Clause. You see, Brawley COULD have used Hypnosis again on a different Pokemon even if Roserade has Poison Point. Thing is, the move would always fail and a second Pokemon could not be put to sleep until Roserade loses it's Sleep condition.

To be honest, I think the whole "sleep two Pokemon even though you didn't know if the first had Natural Cure or not and you automatically lose" business is silly on D/P WiFi.

Loved the Pokemon used, btw. Roserade, Gallade, Lucario and a Dragonite on BOTH teams always makes for an excellent warstory.

I liked it for several reasons. First you have 3 of the same pokemon that I use (Roserade, Lucario, and Dragonite) but we run different movesets. =)
Second it was well written and easily understandable. You should write more of these.

Why did you run TTar? It only really helps Gliscor. In other words, get a different CBer. Metagross is nice. Honestly, running TTar cost you the match. Otherwise, amazing warstory.

OMG RUN!! ITS THE APOCALYPSE!! IT'S A GOOD SHODDY BATTLE WARSTORY!! anyway yeah good warstory. I like how t didn't end in one team getting 4-0'd by garchomp or something.

Thanks guys for the compliments. I appreciate it. Apparently, this was better than I thought it would turn out to be.

Hi Spanky.

i really liked how you wrote the health and status of the battling pokes after every turn.
that was helpful and should be done in all new warstories.
nice read.

I really like your prediction skills. If you indeed called all the moves you wrote you did, props on the prediction skills. Which brings me to my only nitpick: Why didn't you switch Gliscor into the Earthquake you knew Lucario was about to eat? With Gliscor vs Swampert in the sleep vs avalanche battle before your Lucario and Tyranitar went down you could've weakened Swampert with Gliscor (1 hit would be enough for Crunch + Close Combat to finish, I'm pretty sure).

Amazing battle, congrats,

Tater said:
Anyways, Tyranitar is barely alive by the skin of his balls. Swampert had 2/3 it's health left. Would one, final Choice Banded Crunch from my fat fuck dinosaur
finsihed the Mud Boy off?
0wn3d % Damage)
Best quotes from the whole story IMO. Great read. I love reading these, as they give me an idea of how more experienced people play, as I'm still kinda learning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)