Tapu Bulu Discussion

Hey guys, I am looking at all these posts with sets and loving the damage coming off banded Tapu Bulu. But I'm just a bit confused and unsure about it all. Is Tapu Bulu just a bit too slow to be pulling off banded sets with speed? I know he does a lot of damage but is he bulky enough without that investment in HP which is in into speed? Is a bulky set better? I am just quite conflicted as to what his most helpful set is... I guess I just want to know what the most used nature I should get on my Tapu Bulu in game is. Cuz I'll only have the one and I want it to have a nature that covers the majority of it's possible uses. Maybe Adamant?
A little bit late here, and you've already had this question mostly answered, but I just wanted to throw it out there that Mega-Hera and Hoopa-U didn't mind their lower speed, and this thing has arguably better defensive typing than them, plus a heal from Grassy Terrain (basically acting as pseudo-bulk). :)

Apart from the CB set, I can really see a SD LO Horn Leech set work. After a dance, Horn Leech is hitting slightly harder than the CB Wood Hammer but most importantly is healing you by 50% with every hit,so you can press it more than twice before dying You can run a slightly more defensive set in order to take hits better, and still blow things up after setup. According to damagecalc, while you would think that grassy terrain + sd boost would be equivalent to +3 attack, it actually works out as +4 attack thanks to the way grassy terrain 50% boost works. Thats pretty uh.. good. You can also switch moves every turn etc and horn leech still hits ridiculously hard without a boost and outdamages charizard X's flare blitz etc yadda yadda yadda

VGC: Disable, Leech Seed/Horn Leech, Sub/Horn Leech, Protect sounds interesting with grassy terrain recovery, maybe some way to lower enemy speed/boost your own (Icy Wind/Tailwind), redirection, and a way to take care of opposing grass types. With the new timer rules, I think Stall is a viable winning strategy.

Just gonna leave this here:

252+ Atk Choice Band Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangrowth in Grassy Terrain: 199-234 (49.2 - 57.9%) -- 59.8% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Abomasnow Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangrowth: 199-235 (49.2 - 58.1%) -- 62.9% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Yes, this even accounts for STAB on Play Rough...

That being said, being able to kill Dnite, Latias (already OHKO's Latios lmao), Guzzlord even, woulda been neat. But realistically, slapping a band and clicking Wood Hammer is usually just as effective.
Quoting myself because relevant @ above user

VGC: Disable, Leech Seed/Horn Leech, Sub/Horn Leech, Protect sounds interesting with grassy terrain recovery, maybe some way to lower enemy speed/boost your own (Icy Wind/Tailwind), redirection, and a way to take care of opposing grass types. With the new timer rules, I think Stall is a viable winning strategy.
I like this idea, obviously have some teammates to cover what your STABs can't but Grass can be an extremely annoying type when you're on the defending end. This thing has a huge attack stat and Grassy Terrain to abuse those physical Grass moves it gets, and since nothing is immune to Grass beyond abilities, it's a pretty good mono-attacking type for this 'mon in particular to have. Random Superpower is nice too, and this thing is respectably bulky, making all the recover it's capable of getting even better.

Last edited:
I start to think that guy could be banned in OU, after all the calcs I saw... It's way too strong, it obliterates everything while still being tanky as fuck + providing ground resistance for the others. Of course it has counters like Poison type but geez... Last gen, some things got banned for less that that.

Last edited:
the day this thing gets a Physical Fairy move is the day its stay in OU dies 110%

Until then, for all the damage it does, and it hits like a fleet of trucks, its fairly one note, so it can be played around with some difficulty, which may lead to it staying in OU for a while

It's funny how, once we got the stats, this thing became the best Tapu after Lele.
Only physically bulky 4x resists or Sap sippers can switch in on this thing. And unlike the weather setters, none of the other Tapus can switch in on this thing, since Banded Wood Hammer is unpleasantly painful even without Grassy Terrain.

I'm new at creating ev sets on my own, so if I were running a swords dance or bulk up set would it be more beneficial to run an adamant set with more defensive investment or an impish set with more attack investment? Horn leech would be my STAB attack of choice if that makes a difference

I'm new at creating ev sets on my own, so if I were running a swords dance or bulk up set would it be more beneficial to run an adamant set with more defensive investment or an impish set with more attack investment? Horn leech would be my STAB attack of choice if that makes a difference
In general, a positive nature will benefit the higher stat more, because it is a 10% increase. So the higher your stat, the more the nature will benefit said stat. That's the mathematical way of thinking of it, but if you need to survive certain hits, outspeed certain things, or nab certain OHKO's or 2HKO's, that is when the EV's and/or Natures are swapped over to other stats, if that makes sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)