Metagame SWSH Little Cup Teambuilding Competition

Drifting

wrapped in plastic
is a Tiering Contributor
The winner with 7 votes is (sigh)

Chinese Sun by wesh papillon
:vulpix: :magby: :tyrunt: :diglett: :grookey: :meowth:

This will be added to the hall of fame, congrats to Pap for getting another W.

Week 6:

With the LPL team tournament coming right around the corner (join the LC Discord if you don't know what that means), a lot of the more fun side-metas of LC get to be in the spotlight, including Doubles which was already done to... some results.

To get people excited, I want to once again shine a spotlight on these side tiers. Normally I would pick LC UU, but making you all learn a new meta in a couple days is a big ask, so I've decided to pick something more fun/easier.

This week, you will be building for LC Monotype. Pick one of the 18 types and build the best team you can. If any of you have experience in regular monotype this should be familiar to you, but one of the most fun parts is finding interesting ways to construct well-rounded teams with just one type to work with.

HERE are the resources you will need to build.

Your deadline is Friday 11:59pm 26th August AEST

Last edited:
:ss/impidimp: :xy/pawniard: :xy/carvanha: :xy/inkay: :xy/stunky: :xy/vullaby:

In a tier where the best Pokemon is a fighting type, I thought I'd challenge myself a bit. I decided to build Mono-Dark for this week's teambuilding competition. I'll give a quick run down of the mons here.

:impidimp: This mon is complete shit outside of Mono Dark. Don't use it. But since this is Mono Dark, it helps with a lot. It helps deter Mienfoo and can paralyze it with Thunder Wave. It provides Self-Healing with Drain Punch, and it outspeeds standard Pawniard. Thunder Wave is also nice for things like Koffing and Fighting types.

:pawniard: :carvanha: These two are mandatory on Mono-Dark, no exceptions. They're the two best darks in the tier, and are great mons in general. Nothing much to say here, just standard Pawn and Carv.

:inkay: It's quad weak to U-turn, and is pretty frail. However, with Scarf + Perfect Coverage and Switcheroo to cripple Poisons/Ferroseed, it can work well as a scarfer.

:stunky: Standard Stunky helps vs things such as Ferroseed via Fire Blast, and it does well into Mienfoo because of Play Rough.

:vullaby: So, apparently in LC mono, Vullaby is unbanned. I used to have Alolan-Meowth and then Sandile in this spot, but Vullaby is a lot better than those too so...yeah. It's the classic set, BB, Knock, U-turn, Defog with Weak Armor and Berry Juice. It's a great deterrent to Mienfoo and helps vs a lot of other things too.

That's all I have, hope this gets the ball rolling for this week's teambuilding challenge.

Last edited:
Assuming this is geared toward actual lc monotype I'll provide the rock squad or at least a rock squad courtesy of the mono goat crashy
:Dwebble::Onix::Tyrunt::Archen::Lileep::Tirtouga:
https://pokepast.es/a96d83df25a70d67

pretty standard mono rock team outside of dwebble not being smash in this instance. Hazard stacking is pretty solid in mono lc since there isn't a ton of removal running around and everyone always has to worry about dwebble smashing on them so that's neat.

Onix is sturdy juice in this instance along a similar line of thinking, there aren't a ton of hazard setters running around so its basically a guaranteed DD in most games.

Speaking of DD, Tyrunt is as standard as possible basically. If there was a legitimate threat of running into grass or steel and seeing ferro, I'd probably try to run fire fang on it but both grass and steel are pretty mediocre.

Scarfchen is super important incase you run into fighting and is just generally nice speed control to have.

Lileep is rocking the forbidden set, of Power Herb, Rock Polish, Meteor Beam and somehow it just works in mono. This mon basically runs over the water matchup in and is an absolute must-bring on any rock squad.

Lastly, we've got Tirtouga who is Solid Rock rather than Sturdy to help it setup a smash, but really either works.

Rock is weirdly like a top 2 type in mono lc and this is one of the better variants of it if you ask me.

Last edited:

Dead by Daylight

memory tapes cycling blankly
is a Pre-Contributor
The Serrated Edges of Our Own Conscience

As a Monotype main, this is one of the most exciting prompts for me to do. So, without further ado, enjoy the team and the XL title!

:pawniard: :honedge: :ferroseed: :meowth-galar: :magnemite: :Diglett-alola:

:Pawniard: Pawniard is a great priority user and Stealth Rocker. Sucker Punch puts a ton of pressure on threats such as Natu and weakened Ponyta, which would otherwise steamroll this team.

:honedge: Honedge provides a crucial Fighting-type immunity that can switch into Mienfoo and Farfetch’d-Galar, and punish them with Swords Dance into a Gyro Ball.

:ferroseed: Ferroseed provides paralysis support and Spikes, which is crucial to pressuring your opponent into Pawniard or Swords Dance Honedge range. It also removes Eviolites and punishes contact.

:meowth-galar: Meowth-Galar is a hard-hitting attacker that gains momentum with Tough Claws-boosted U-turn, while also smacking Ghosts with Crunch.

:magnemite: Scarf Magnemite can threaten Vullaby and Woobat, two massive threats, while applying massive pressure with STAB Volt Switch.

:Diglett-alola: Diglett-Alola is our Fire-type killer of choice. A Choice Scarf alongside its naturally high Speed lets it bowl over Ponyta and Scorbunny.

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/fe9dfabab6826e72

The winner with 7 votes is (sigh)

Chinese Sun by wesh papillon
:vulpix: :magby: :tyrunt: :diglett: :grookey: :meowth:

This will be added to the hall of fame, congrats to Pap for getting another W.

Week 6:

With the LPL team tournament coming right around the corner (join the LC Discord if you don't know what that means), a lot of the more fun side-metas of LC get to be in the spotlight, including Doubles which was already done to... some results.

To get people excited, I want to once again shine a spotlight on these side tiers. Normally I would pick LC UU, but making you all learn a new meta in a couple days is a big ask, so I've decided to pick something more fun/easier.

This week, you will be building for LC Monotype. Pick one of the 18 types and build the best team you can. If any of you have experience in regular monotype this should be familiar to you, but one of the most fun parts is finding interesting ways to construct well-rounded teams with just one type to work with.

HERE are the resources you will need to build.

Your deadline is Friday 11:59pm 26th August AEST
Team Name: Team Aqua's Standard-Issue
:swsh/chinchou: :swsh/mareanie: :swsh/mantyke: :swsh/carvanha: :swsh/corphish: :swsh/tirtouga:
https://pokepast.es/79cbe94932c443c8

This is a monotype water team. I chose water as a type since it has a large variety of different mons, which opened up options to a variety of different team comps and styles, and because grookey is banned so it can't invalidate anything I make.

:chinchou: Chinchou is a bulky pivot with volt switch, as well as a necessary stop gap against the electric attacks which scare most of the team. It reaches the important speed milestone of 17 speed, and electric stabs help against flying and opposing water-type teams.

:mareanie: Mareanie is self-explanatory as an excellent physical wall, provider of knock off support, and fighting type check. Its poison type is useful against grass type teams as well. I opted to give this mareanie toxic spikes since there are presumably many less poison types running around to absorb it, and because multiple scalders on the team already meant burns will still be proccing often without mareanie using the move.

:mantyke: Mantyke is a dedicated special wall, particularly meant for porygon, foongus, and grass types. Rest talk allows it to effortlessly absorb status including foongus' spore, and absolutely monstrous 23/33 special bulk lets it shrug off most special attacks. Alternatively to a rest talk set, protect allows it to scout out scarfers and frees up an additional slot for coverage or utility.

:carvanha: Carvanha is excellent at cleaning late game, providing offensive momentum through flip turn, and generally giving a fairly defensive lineup some much-needed bite. Just the standard set, no explanation needed.

:corphish: Carvanha's partner in crime is corphish, a dangerous setup sweeper with dragon dance. Superpower provides coverage for the otherwise nightmarish for this team ferroseed, and adaptability-boosted aqua jet is excellent priority.

:tirtouga: Tirtouga rounds out the team, providing stealth rock, general bulk, and additional knock off support for carvanha and corphish.

rarre

Sometimes I think maybe its too late
is a Tiering Contributor
Generic mono water team :v4:
Ft frillish ig
:chinchou::mareanie::wingull::staryu::tirtouga::frillish:

:ss/chinchou:
A decent offensive pivot that also hits the vital 17 speed tier. Is a huge part in dealing with opposing water, flying, and the uncommon electric monos.
:ss/mareanie:
Mareanie is pretty self-explanatory, a defensive physical wall and poison. Knock support is always nice. Sludge bomb can come in handy against the rare grass mono.
:ss/wingull:
Wingull is an extremely powerful wallbreaker and generally tough to switch into. It hits the important 19 speed tier and is one other only ways to deal with croagunk.
:ss/staryu:
Staryu functions as a decent spinner that supports wingull quite well. Thunderbolt is used to give a slightly better matchup against opposing water while hitting occasional Carvanha, which can be a problem for the team.
:ss/tirtouga:
Tirtouga provides rocks, knock, and a decent Phys tank. Stab edge hits flying and bug, which is nice.
:ss/frillish:
Frillish provides a crucial normal and fighting immunity, as those are some of the best types in lc mono. Acts as a nice special sponge and can abuse the spamming of scald with its hex.

I don’t really have to much more to say about this team.

edit: finally 50 posts took too long

Last edited:

PigWarrior19

unmon connoisseur
is a Tiering Contributor
Pardon the structure I’m on my phone lol.

Epic Spark Barboach
1st the beast barboach with the stylish move spark a wonderful clean up sweeper with dd and wonderful coverage
2nd wooper a physical wall rocking the fantastic ability unaware stopping powerful sweepers like magby and tyrunt in there tracks
3rd scarfed giving much needed speed control and a freight train if it gets going
4th scarf iron fist golett a fantastic offensive typing with an immunity to fighting
5th yamask galar with a colbur berry this team gets destroyed by stong dark types and mienfoo so weakening them is nice
6th lo onix acehunter style sub head smash with eq just a cool mon
https://pokepast.es/c11b2f9a6a4aad70
+6 204 Atk Strong Jaw Tyrunt Psychic Fangs vs. 236 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Unaware Wooper: 8-10 (32 - 40%) -- 96.9% chance to 3HKO
Possible damage amounts: (8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 10)

Last edited:
I didn't have time to build a good team for the previous rounds and I still don't. But with 30 minutes to spare I have created this complete mess:

Double Smash HO with Memento Shellos
:sm/staryu: :sm/Shellder: :sm/tirtouga: :sm/carvanha: :sm/Shellos: :sm/tentacool:

Paste: https://pokepast.es/c6112109aa0249f4

:staryu: Pretty predictable screens Staryu. It's the only good water screens-setter, so adding it to HO was a no-brainer. Teleport to get the Shell-smashers in safely, and Rapid Spin is there just in case it gets the opportunity to spin hazards away, which Sturdy Tirtouga appreciates.

:shellder: The first Shell-Smash user on the team and my preferred choice out of the two, Skill Link just outputs a crazy amount of damage. It's a great offensive check to grasses as well as the sole priority user on the team.

:tirtouga: The second Shell-Smash user on the team. I chose SturdyJuice over Solid Rock because without hazards, a guaranteed set up along with at least one attack is more valuable to me. With EQ it's also the sole offensive electric check on the team, which is incredibly important. Combined with Shellder they can hopefully create the opportunity to let the other mon sweep, or at least weaken the team for the other team members to clean up.

:carvanha: An incredible offensive threat in the actual LC metagame, Carv on this team has the important job of finishing off the weakened team after the shell-smash duo above have done their jobs. Went with the standard set but with Liquidation instead of Flip Turn, since the raw damage is more important that pivoting when cleaning.

:shellos: I probably should have put Barboach in this slot instead of Shellos but I just really wanted it on my team. I had no desire to do the standard crit-me-not cringe and was looking for another way to facilitate one of the other set-up sweepers. I was tempted to go double screen setters, but the other water options were pathetic, so I looked into options with Memento. Turns out the only LC water type with Memento was Shellos and I thought it was pretty funny so here we are. Memento basically creates double screens for one mon, which is invaluable for Shellder or Tirtouga. With it's excellent bulk it's pretty much guaranteed to pull off one Memento, even in the face of Electric types which the team really struggles against. Yawn is another great option to create set up opportunities, Scald can also create those opportunities as well with a bit of luck, and Recover is there so it can spam out Yawns and Scalds for as long as possible.

:tentacool: Finally, I present SD Tentacool. I wanted a Grass counter on the team and Skrelp was just too slow for a HO team. With it's solid speed tier and decent special bulk uninvested it can (hopefully) find set up opportunities and clean with Carvanha or help soften targets up with Knock Off before a second Shell-Smash user comes in.

Definitely not the most effective monotype team, but it was fun to build. Hopefully I'll have more time in the future to submit more.

https://pokepast.es/ce2e9a29920976e0
:sm/sandshrew-alola: :sm/vulpix-alola: :xy/snover: :xy/amaura: :xy/cubchoo: :xy/swinub:

I gotta say I didn't really enjoy this week's prompt because it felt like every time I just had to keep building monotype HO with very little variation. So I decided to use the one that felt the most like a shitpost while still remaning decent.

Iglooshrew :sandshrew-alola: is one of my favorite mons, perhaps ever? I wanted it to hit really REALLY hard and fast. So I gave it a life orb so It can punch holes through basically anything. It means Ferroseed can't switch in reliably, as

236+ Atk Life Orb Sandshrew-Alola Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 84 HP / 108+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 15-24 (68.1 - 109%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 8)

236+ Atk Life Orb Sandshrew-Alola Earthquake vs. 84 HP / 108+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 6-9 (27.2 - 40.9%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO
Possible damage amounts: (6, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 9)

So it can take one of those hits, but not both.

Vulpix-Alola :vulpix-alola: the first of 3 hail setters on the team. Yes I'm running 3 of them, its fun but also stupid. I need my speed control for slush rush and opposing weather really screws with this team. Aurora Veil is generally good utility and hard to deal with. Encore is for shell smashers and because I have no speed Investment, I out slow them. Its a bit of a yikes that I'm not running speed so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage, but I feel like not automatically losing to shell smash cheese is probably for the best.

Snover :snover: is the second of 3 hail setters. Its the usual set, but its a goodie. Giga Drain for waters, Blizzard for good stab. Ice Shard for breaking Sashes and whatever. The usual.

Amaura :amaura: is the final one hail setter, and its a scarfer. Immediately speedy and is pretty good. Specially Offensive compared to the other sweepers being Physically Offensive. Freeze-Dry is goated. Blizzard hits hard in general, and then Earth Power is for Steels and Rocks.

Cubchoo :cubchoo: is the second hail abuser. Its Eviolite compared to life orb because Vacuum Wave really wrecks my team, so I gotta have something for it. Aerial Ace is for Croagunk, Play Rough is for other Fighting types. Power Up Punch is for steels, plus it can easily spiral out of control due to boosts. Ice Punch is best Ice Stab.

Swinub :swinub: is a suprisingly good HO lead. Rocks + Endeavor + Ice Shard + Bulldoze. Rocks for against Sun (plus removal is scarce), Endeavor in case you need to remove something desperately. Ice Shard for breaking Sashes as well as good priority. Bulldoze can help with some speed control and forcing a switch. Plus Croagunk damage.

Good luck to everyone else.

Gimmick team for the weird monotype lc tier.
:Farfetch :Riolu: :Mienfoo: :Timburr: :Pancham: :Croagunk:
https://pokepast.es/5e80ce23926d1d48

I present, the Final Gambit Fighters. The basic idea is to use Farfetch'd and Riolu to instantly remove two of the opponents pokemon, then use the remaining 4 to clean up.

Lead Farfetch'd and click final gambit, with invested HP this can OHKO almost anything in the tier with exceptions like Munchlax, Slowpoke, and Shellos. Then use Riolu's prankster copycat do it again. Riolu can also he used to copycat opponent hazards, as mono fighting has zero hazard support.

Obviously this can be very hit or miss, but i think that in monotype, where not every team has Mienfoo's fake out (Which basically ruins the whole thing), that this strategy can be pulled off, and it's quite fun when it does work.

For the rest of the team, there's standard mienfoo but with stone edge for the bug match up, defog guts timburr for hazard control, pancham for bulk up the sweeper, and croagunk for the water immunity and a mon to hit on the special side.

I know very litte about the monotype lc meta but I thought this team would be fun, thanks for reading!

DuGuo

Just say love me.
is a Tiering Contributor
Dragon mons didn't play well in LC, so I built this dragon mono team for fun.
THE BABY DRAGON
:xy/Tyrunt::xy/Dratini::xy/Gible::xy/Axew::xy/Noibat::xy/Bagon:
:Tyrunt:The best dragon mon, there's nothing to say ig.
:Dratini:I'm surprised that dratini can set screen.I use it to set screen. I guess it's also nothing to say?
:Gible:Used to set hazards, it also have a big Attack surface.
:Axew:same as tyrunt, as a strong sweep.
:Noibat:hazards control and scarf save site, also looks cute.
:Bagon:same as tyrunt and axew, spam strengthen​
I think you can see that I'm very distracted lol. This is just an spam strengthen team for fun, enjoy it.

Looking at all the options, I noticed that poison has a wealth of good mons, including quite a few regenerators. So, presenting: Mono-poison...balance?
https://pokepast.es/f1c0e9c92be9637e
:mareanie: :foongus: :koffing: :croagunk: :salandit: :stunky:
First of all, :mareanie: mareanie and :foongus: foongus were obvious inclusions. Water and grass STAB are both super valuable on mono poison, a ground neutrality is very useful on foongus, but their other use is spreading status all around, with the OP scald and spore. As for the sets, nothing too special, standard defense.

Now here's where it gets interesting. :koffing: Koffing is almost undoubtedly the best poison type in vanilla LC, but its usual defensive set doesn't really...add anything other than another slow, ground weak defensive pokemon. I also noticed that poison contained no mons with higher than 18 speed, leaving my team extremely vulnerable to 19 speeders such as ponyta, abra, and, of course, diglett. So, why not kill two birds with one stone? Slap on a choice scarf, switch to levitate, and suddenly, you have a fast, strong, ground immune attacker. Fire blast melts steels, Sludge Wave gets that little bit of extra power on the STAB, thunderbolt deals with waters, and Tspikes are far more valuable in monotype, as are a safe fourth move to click.

:croagunk: Croagunk is one of the two physical attackers on the team. Drain punch + poison jab is nearly perfect coverage to keep spreading damage while draining health back, knock off dissuades psychics (especially abra) from coming in, and vaccum wave chunks carvahna, who this team otherwise really struggles with.

:salandit: Salandit is a mon not often seen in vanilla LC, being single-handedly invalidated by diglett. With arena trap (largely) out of the picture, salandit can become a fast, strong, dangerous special attacker with life orb. While fire/poison isn't the best in terms of STAB, this mon can absolutely DESTROY steel types with fire blast, as well as acting as a sweeper with nasty plot and this team's only form of speed control in thunder wave.

:stunky: Stunky is the last member of our team, being invaluable as this team's only counterplay to psychics. fortunately, in this role it does quite well, having eviolite to soak up stray neutral hits and dual STAB + sucker punch for priority and fire blast for steels (can you tell I'm worried about steel types?)

obviously, this team struggles greatly versus ground and psychic, which is predictable, and also somewhat versus rock and steel. Sadly, mono fairy is close to non-existent, so grass remains this team's only truly good matchup.

Drifting

wrapped in plastic
is a Tiering Contributor
Day late sorry, have been busy. These are your teams for this week:

Team 1 - Mono-Dark (Dark) by Shandeur :impidimp: :pawniard: :carvanha: :inkay: :stunky: :vullaby:

Team 2 - Crashy's Mono Rock (Rock) by Joltage :Dwebble::Onix::Tyrunt::Archen::Lileep::Tirtouga:

Team 3 - The Serrated Edges of Our Own Conscience (Steel) by Dead by Daylight :pawniard: :honedge: :ferroseed: :meowth-galar: :magnemite: :Diglett-alola:

Team 4 - Team Aqua's Standard Issue (Water) by Fastwalker22 :chinchou: :mareanie: :mantyke: :carvanha: :corphish: :tirtouga:

Team 5 - Generic Mono-Water (Water) by rarre :chinchou::mareanie::wingull::staryu::tirtouga::frillish:

Team 6 - Epic Spark Barboach (Ground) by PigWarrior19 :barboach: :wooper: :sandile: :golett: :yamask-galar: :onix:

Team 7 - Double Smash HO (Water) by Charis_Akins :staryu: :Shellder: :tirtouga: :carvanha: :Shellos: :tentacool:

Team 8 - Welcome To The Peak Of Mount Coronet (Ice) by TheShoddyStrawman :sandshrew-alola: :vulpix-alola: :snover: :amaura: :cubchoo: :swinub:

Team 9 - Final Gambit Fighters (Fighting) by reggg :Farfetch :Riolu: :Mienfoo: :Timburr: :Pancham: :Croagunk:

Team 10 - The Baby Dragons (Dragon) by DuGuo :Tyrunt::Dratini::Gible::Axew::Noibat::Bagon:

Team 11 - Mono-Poison Balance(?) (Poison) by aleaniled :mareanie: :foongus: :koffing: :croagunk: :salandit: :stunky:

I recommend reading through people's write-ups if you haven't already, some very insightful stuff that could aid in your decision.

To vote, please post with the THREE teams that you think should win. For example, if I thought that Team 735, Team 90 and Team 129 were the best, I would post this:

Team 735, Team 90, Team 129

Very simple. After voting is finished the team(s) with the most votes will win. Good luck!

The voting period will end on Monday 11:59pm, 29th August AEST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)