OU Sword and Shield OU Discussion Thread

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
hey! I wanted to make a fun post about a Pokemon that I find to be really fun in the metagame, hope the people enjoy :D

:sv/Tapu Koko:

Tapu Koko's transition over from SM to SS is one that surprises no one, even with the nerfs that it received in the loss of Hidden Power and the boost reduction of Electric Terrain, it has remained as a key offensive piece for all kinds of teams. Tapu Koko is an amazingly versatile Pokemon in terms of team composition and sets, playing a central role in the tier by enabling offensive teams while being a powerful force in of itself, being able to punch through opposing teams who aren't well prepared for it. In this post I'd like to talk about what it excels in and some of my favourite teammates that work well with it, showcasing Tapu Koko's fantastic potential in the tier.

One of the first things that may jump out at you is the excellent combination of offensive tools like Volt Switch, U-turn and Calm Mind, its excellent speed tier, and its solid offensive typing. Tapu Koko is infamous for both its pivoting sets, which capitalise on its synergy with a vast amount of offensive threats to position them into the battlefield on a Pokemon it can easily take advantage of, and the terrifyingly effective Calm Mind variants, able to sweep through teams with ease thanks to access to Roost for reliable recovery and longevity. Tapu Koko's typing not only gives it fantastic offensive abilities, but solid defensive capabilities as well as a check to Zapdos, Tornadus-T and Zeraora, as well as solid enough bulk to be able to successfully revenge kill Weavile, Dragapult and Moltres-Galar. To say that Tapu Koko hasn't had an effect on the metagame would be a serious understatement, as its one of the main reasons why many defensive pieces such as Slowking-Galar, Forretress, Gastrodon and Seismitoad are as good as they are, or are considered in the first place. This doesn't mean that Tapu Koko is some unstoppable force of nature though, as its offensive stats aren't as impressive as they seem to be and its passable bulk does still force it to Roost to keep itself healthy, but this is what I love about Tapu Koko competitively: It's a strong, rewarding Pokemon to use if you know how to play well, but still makes sure you keep humble in your play.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

+
/

Fire-types will always love what a powerful Electric-type is able to bring to the table, and Tapu Koko is one of the strongest there will ever be. Probably one of the most common offensive partners with Tapu Koko, Victini is an invaluable partner for the guardian deity, with Tapu Koko almost always forcing in either an opposing Ground-type - normally either Landorus-T or Excadrill in this case, Slowking-Galar or Ferrothorn. Victini is able to blows all of these Pokemon apart with a deadly V-create, able to puncture massive holes into a team for Tapu Koko to eventually clean up later from with its checks removed or severly damaged. This isn't a one sided relationship either, with Tapu Koko handling any Water- or Dragon-types that may wish to come in on them, bar the likes of the almighty Garchomp or Dragonite if it hasn't taken any kind of prior chip. Heatran functions very similar to Victini in this matter, and acts as a better option for the Bulky Offense teams it typically finds itself on to take full advantage of its fantastic utility, while also being able punish both of the aforementioned Dragons with a nasty Toxic.

+

I feel like in this tier you simply can not go wrong with pairing a powerful offensive option with the best pivot in the tier. Landorus-T will always find a way to support its teammates with the help of the ever-present Stealth Rock and fantastic Knock Off support, being able to lure in Pokemon that may feel safe around it such as Tapu Fini, Slowbro or Tornadus-T for Tapu Koko to switch in and immediately threaten them back, or with enough chip, start setting up Calm Mind for an eventual sweep, clean or break. Simply put, Landorus-T is king and never won't be in this gen.

+
/
/

I feel like I don't need to say it again, but one more time for those in the back: Tapu Koko is one of the greatest offensive pivots in the metagame, and pairing it with just about any kind of breaker that has solid synergy with it will never be a bad thing, and even more credit to it if the teammate is able to use a pivoting move as well. Dragapult pairs greatly with Tapu Koko, being able to overwhelm their shared checks like Tyranitar, Blissey and Ferrothorn due to sheer damage output, with both of them offering a fantastic speed tier to add to a team and powerful breaking potential, as well as the possibility to spread status with Pivot Dragapult's access to Thunder Wave and Will-o-Wisp. Urshifu-R does similarly to Dragapult, but instead of overwhelming Tapu Koko's checks it is able to outright OHKO them with a nuclear Close Combat, as well as being able to handle Landorus-T and Excadrill with its signature move, Surging Strikes, while Tapu Koko conquers the ursine's biggest fear in Tapu Fini. Rillaboom adds an insane amount to the offensive core: a powerful breaker and pivot, a strong Knock Off user, and the addition of another terrain to a team. Dual Terrain teams are far from bad, as being able to control which Terrain is active is always valuable if you can play it correctly. Rillaboom also invites Corviknight in freely, so being able to abuse Corviknight's passivity for Tapu Koko to come in and click is greatly appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

That's all from me for now! Expect another post like this sometime in the next week though, as well as a new thread being put up later!

have a lovely day, and stay fresh

Tapu Koko is such an interesting Pokemon in SS because it fits on so, so many structures. However, I do think it is often best utilized on bulkier structures, specifically semi-stall and balance. This may seem strange given Tapu Koko's stats and past predilections, but it makes sense the more and more you think about it. Here are my thoughts on it:
  • Tapu Koko's potent Electric-type attacks make it one of the best users of Toxic in the game. I honestly think the big piece that makes the puzzle here is Volt Switch specifically; the threat of a strong pivoting move is more than enough to impact opposing play to such an extent that usual checks like Heatran and Ferrothorn don't really want to come in on it that much. Think of it like Scizor's U-turn but fewer things resist it. This leads Ground-types to deal with Volt Switch Tapu Koko, which it takes great advantage of with Toxic and Nature's Madness. In the balance vs. balance match, the game often comes down to who can break through Landorus-T first. Tapu Koko is surprisingly good at tilting that "game in the game" in its favor, exerting immense pressure through residual chip damage on Landorus-T.
  • Tapu Koko provides the simplest means of Speed control for bulky teams. Weavile is a constant threat to win against bulkier teams that lack Skarmory or an Unaware Pokemon, which is an uncommon choice to begin with. Therefore, bulky teams often rely on one of (or both) Clefable and Ferrothorn to check it, but as the game goes on and with each percentage point of chip, Weavile gets closer and closer to just winning at +2. Tapu Koko's access to a fast, super effective Dazzling Gleam provides these bulky structures with that extra layer of Weavile counterplay many teams need.
So, what type of teammates are we usually seeing with Tapu Koko on bulky teams? Because Tapu Koko excels at incremental damage in SS OU without getting punished due to Heavy-Duty Boots, wincons that play a little slower, like bulky Volcarona, bulky Dragonite, and Reuniclus often find themselves alongside it. The former two also super appreciate Tapu Koko forcing chip damage on Landorus-T, while the latter takes great advantage of the bulkier teams that can deal with Tapu Koko. Because of its status as a strong pivot, Tapu Koko is one of if not the best Pokemon at forcing the opponent to take entry hazard damage. This is aided by Ferrothorn and Heatran being weak to Spikes; accordingly, we often find Spikestack comps like Ferrothorn/Clef or Skarmory/Hippowdon alongside it. Tapu Koko's largest weakness is its matchup into Sand, which not only carries a threatening offensive presence in Tyranitar but also runs the single true Tapu Koko counter: Excadrill. Checks to sand like Skarmory/Corviknight and Landorus-T are very good with Tapu Koko accordingly.

Tapu Koko may be one of the most diverse Pokemon in SS OU in terms of the teams it finds itself on. I think it is best used on bulky teams that take advantage of its pivoting, but offensive teams may also appreciate it. Offensive teams can often sneak a win with Calm Mind Tapu Koko, as that is a difficult thing to play around with all of its other sets, or sneak a KO with Choice Specs. And of course, U-turn + Thunderbolt is still a great set. Good mon, good post :)

I feel like almost every game of the limited HDB tour has been basically the same as normal SWSH, except Kartana is harder to check. Really, I do not think that this tour is proving that SWSH needs a shake-up, it's just not a tier where Rocks are as valuable as normal, outside of basically just the birds, of which are pretty necessary for a tier where Kartana does not just click moves and instantly make progress IMO.

Is it literally the same tier? No, especially not if it was played more from the tour, but I have seen literally nothing convincing me that the changes of it are needed. And that's okay. These tours are not guaranteed to do stuff like it, and it's nice we have the data, but it frustrates me when people talked up this big shift without HDB when that was just never going to happen. HDB is not as common of an item as it was earlier as CGOU, and in general I think the blame on HDB was overblown. I am seeing a lot of BO, but that is also something that already existed in SWSH meta if you look at SPL, there is a shit ton of BO already. In a lot of the games I looked at, Rocks were either not put up, or did minimal as a lot of the good cores that already exist in SWSH are just not that weak to Rocks. The worst damage it did was when it was used for Kartana to blow up a team, and Kartana is not exactly a Pokemon I would say needs that kind of buff. I would rather a ban of Static than a ban of HDB, if the Zapdos vs Kartana type interaction is really so bad; which I sympathize with, it can feel like shit.

Cinderace exists I guess. Yeah, it's not really broken without boots, but I don't think that's a reason to change the tier. Boots does make Cinderace significantly harder to check, but that's not a unique case of an item making a Pokemon harder to check. Weavile is a nasty Pokemon, but I also wouldn't say it is uncheckable as is, especially with it's lower than you'd expect winrate in SPL. Be that over-preparation or whatnot is debatable, but I feel that it is not an area where this tour's changes prove merit. That, and there are already Weavile sets without Boots that are also scary as shit anyways.

Overall, there will be plenty more games to come, so we will see more data/info. But on sheer vibes and what I've seen so far, I really do not want these changes implemented. And to be clear, I am glad this happened so we actually could see this all. Thanks dex, and the others who organized the tournament.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna lie, bolt beak gets me some neurons activated, and so do weather sweepers, and so do mixed attackers. They're sick.

As someone (probably) not too well versed in this tier and competitive pokemon in general, i'd love to hear more on the wretched little man arctozolt and the slightly less wretched, less little man dracozolt.
While obv pretty damn different pokemons, they seem to be quite much too reliant on prediction (crazy how that happens with a 170bp stab), getting threatened out by anything they can't OHKO, not being too great against priority (although they do stomach respectively ice shard and grassy glide), and just not hitting that hard or being worn down really, really, really fast should you run life orb to remedy that.

And of course, without their weather, they're... "interesting picks". So how do they fare, as sand seems (is it ??) to be becoming more popular, because we all stan tyranitar in this house, while rain was practically inexistant in spl, and sand (i think ??) is pretty good into hail ?

I guess my questions are : how are my favourite boys and where in my understanding of them (and the meta) am i, to put it politely, tripping balls ?

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm not gonna lie, bolt beak gets me some neurons activated, and so do weather sweepers, and so do mixed attackers. They're sick.

As someone (probably) not too well versed in this tier and competitive pokemon in general, i'd love to hear more on the wretched little man arctozolt and the slightly less wretched, less little man dracozolt.
While obv pretty damn different pokemons, they seem to be quite much too reliant on prediction (crazy how that happens with a 170bp stab), getting threatened out by anything they can't OHKO, not being too great against priority (although they do stomach respectively ice shard and grassy glide), and just not hitting that hard or being worn down really, really, really fast should you run life orb to remedy that.

And of course, without their weather, they're... "interesting picks". So how do they fare, as sand seems (is it ??) to be becoming more popular, because we all stan tyranitar in this house, while rain was practically inexistant in spl, and sand (i think ??) is pretty good into hail ?

I guess my questions are : how are my favourite boys and where in my understanding of them (and the meta) am i, to put it politely, tripping balls ?
Hail is fine, it'll always be a B to B- ish playstyle. Arctozolt was all the rage at one point, but after people adapted their playstyles to it, it is more of just a nice bring if you think your opponent is weak to it.

Dracozolt, on the other hand, has not aged gracefully. At the onset of DLC2 SS OU, it was pretty decent on sand; however, the rise of SpD Landorus-T all but killed it, and Excadrill quickly overtook it for its better typing and access to utility like Rapid Spin and set-up in SD, making Excadrill a lot better than Dracozolt both in and out of sand.

Arctozolt can kinda get owned by Flame Body Heatran, Ferrothorn, and general pivoting. It's still not a bad Pokemon, it has merit and it playstyle is worth using at times. It's just not a dominant threat nowadays, and running a Hail team can be an uphill battle in a lot of matchups. The main thing is that Elec/Ice as always has perfect coverage, but it doesn't have the stats to make that broken even with STAB. Arctozolt (and Dracozolt, as I will get into later) both used mixed attacker sets to try to get the most value. Unlike Dracozolt, Arctozolt often used Substitute. Getting a sub on a switch out often made Arctozolt even nastier, because Bolt Beak is in fact very strong to neutral targets, and when it outsped your entire team it was tough to handle. But it's nothing good old buddies like this cannot handle:

76 SpA Arctozolt Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 103-123 (29.2 - 34.9%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

While Hail was for a time one of the most popular playstyles, and was deemed fairly toxic, it fell off.

Dracozolt, as dex said, isn't very good anymore. It used to get by on using a mixed set on sand. Dracozolt used Draco Meteors to carve bulky Grounds (90% of the time just Lando-T lol) on the switch. It usually wouldn't kill, but it'd make a big mark that Lando-T could not heal out of without great effort, making it a 50/50 on Bolt Beak vs Draco Meteor to finish the Lando-T off next round of Sand. SpDef Lando-T makes this a non-issue because:

176 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 240+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 156-185 (40.8 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

(for comparison:

176 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 222-263 (58.2 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery)

I hope this post is a somewhat good summary of the two 'mons, have a good one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)