SM Doubles OU Swimmer128's Doubles OU Team

Introduction

Hello everyone! I'm Swimmer128, and I've been playing showdown for a few years now. I have made countless teams, generally Monotype Teams, and I decided to try to step out of my comfort zone this time. I originally made this team for Pokemon Battle Revolution just for fun and it demolished everything in it, so then I decided to try it out in Showdown! and it has done surprisingly well. I have never been extremely good at making teams, but this team ended up winning me many battles in Doubles OU. I know it is not your typical team, as they are all pretty much sweepers, but that's what I would like some help fixing. I have played Doubles enough to know the common threats, such as Tapu Fini, Amoongus, Landorus-T, etc. and I have attempted to adjust my team to be able to counter those Pokemon, but since the Pokemon I used are really all sweepers it has made it so that if the Pokemon I have to counter Amoongus or Tapu Fini faints, my team is virtually screwed. I do have many viable options for countering these threats, but I must not be using them right because there are times when they still end up sweeping or walling my team. Any feedback or help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Teambuilding Process

I chose Metagross for a few reasons. The first reason is that it can learn Explosion, which I planned to use with Gengar so that it could use the move without damaging a member of my own team. The second reason was back in Battle Revolution I could use Earthquake and it wouldn't affect Gengar due to Levitate, but in SM that is a different story. That being said, I then switched Earthquake out for Stealth Rock, that way I could deal some damage to any Pokemon my opponent may switch out to, specifically Mega Charizard Y, which originally was a pretty big threat to Metagross. I then gave it Bullet Punch so I could deal some immediate STAB damage if needed, and to counter any of the Tapus. My second STAB move is Zen Headbutt, which I felt was more viable given Metagross' stats.

I chose Gengar to go with Metagross, since originally it had Levitate to avoid Earthquake and I utilized its immunity to Explosion to work nicely with Metagross. Then I gave it STAB Sludge Bomb in order to counter the Tapus again as well as just to have a powerful move that has a chance of poising the foe. The second STAB move I gave it was Shadow Ball, because it seemed like the most viable Ghost Type move to give Gengar. My coverage move was Thunder, to work with a team member you'll meet later on and to give my team an Electric attack. My final move was Destiny Bond, which I figured would be able to take out any Pokemon that my team was having a rather hard time defeating.

Now I decided that I wanted to be able to use Earthquake without damaging my own team, and so I decided on Flygon. I gave Flygon Earthquake for STAB and the reasons I just listed, Outrage for a powerful Dragon STAB, Dragon Claw in case I didn't want to get trapped with Outrage, and Fire Punch to counter any pesky Ice Types. Fire Punch would get powered up by the use of Mega Charizard Y's ability Drought, and so it would be even more powerful.

Next up is Mega Charizard Y. Originally this slot was filled by Moltres, because I wanted a Fire type who was immune to Flygon's Earthquake. After battling a bit in Doubles OU I discovered that Mega Charizard Y was SOOOOOO much more viable and made much more sense with my team. I gave Charizard Solar Beam, since I could use the sunlight to have a super powerful grass move that counters any water threats that may come up. Then I gave it STAB Heat Wave to attack multiple foes at once and Air Slash for a decent STAB Flying move. Lastly, I gave Charizard Roost so that it could heal if needed, although I am wondering if Tailwind would have been a better choice since I generally either don't need to or don't get a chance to use Roost.

My next Pokemon is Ludicolo. I chose Ludicolo because I had come up with a concept of using Surf to heal a Pokemon with Water Absorb, and wanted to have a Pokemon that could achieve that but also work as a Grass Type, completing the triad of Grass/Water/Fire. I then gave it Rain Dance to make use of its Swift Swim, and of course Surf so that I could heal the Poliwrath I would later add to my team. For STAB I gave it Energy Ball, and for coverage I gave it Ice Beam, which comes in handy against Grass, Dragon, Ground, or Flying threats, specifically Landorus-T and Mega Garchomp. I thought this would partner well with my Poliwrath, as the Swift Swim/Rain Dance combo would double Ludicolo's speed while powering up both Ludicolo and Poliwrath's Water Type attacks.

Lastly, as mentioned before, I have Poliwrath. Poliwrath was added with the intention of being able to be healed by Surf and get powered up Water STAB from Rain Dance, as well as to be more of a bulky support. I gave it Bulk Up to boost its stats, although after many battles I have realized that I rarely use it, Protect to allow it to heal using its Leftovers if needed and to protect it from any attacks I may need to avoid. Then for STAB I gave it Waterfall and Circle Throw, to temporarily get rid of any major threats, eliminate foe's stat changes, and throw off the foes' Synergy.

The Team

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Zen Headbutt
If you didn't read my Teambuilding Process, I originally added Metagross to be able to use Explosion and Earthquake without damaging my own team, back when Gengar could have Levitate in Pokemon Battle Revolution, the game in which I originally made this team for. Then once I imported it into Showdown, I realized Stealth Rock was a much more viable option, and would be able to deal some massive damage to the Mega Charizard Ys that I was seeing frequently in the tier. Then I gave it Bullet Punch for STAB and priority, as well as to take care of the Tapus, and Zen Headbutt for some more STAB. I gave it the Life Orb to power up its attacks and Clear Body so that my stats could not be lowered by Intimidate or anything else. Metagross works well with Gengar because it can Explode at any moment and take out two members of the opponent's team without touching Gengar, and together the two cover many of the common threats of Doubles OU. Metagross is used as a hazard setter/physical sweeper.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunder
Gengar is Metagross' partner on this team, and it is basically a special sweeper. I gave it Destiny Bond in case I encounter something that I am having a hard time beating, which works well when I encounter Landorus-T if I manage to be faster than it, because Earthquake DESTROYS my first two Pokemon. Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb are for STAB moves, as well as poisoning if needed. Thunder I gave as a coverage move, which works very well if I use Explosion or if Metagross faints and I have the chance to have Ludicolo use Rain Dance. The main weaknesses that I encounter are Amoongus and any Earthquake user with these first two Pokemon. I can generally get rid of any Tapus with Sludge Bomb/Bullet Punch. Overall Metagross/Gengar work amazing as my first two Pokemon, and they tend to sweep most of my opponent's team if I am lucky.

Flygon @ Yache Berry
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
The next part of my team is Flygon/Mega Charizard Y. The purpose of these Pokemon is to allow Flygon to use Earthquake without damaging my own team, and to allow Charizard to take care of any Ice Type threats to Flygon. Flygon has Earthquake for STAB and to destroy two Pokemon at once. I gave it Outrage for powerful Dragon STAB, Dragon Claw in case I don't want to risk confusion and being locked into Outrage, and Fire Punch to take care of Ice Types in case Charizard faints and to feed off of the harsh sunlight. I gave it a Yache Berry to further dampen the effects of Ice Types, and it tends to be a special sweeper.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash
Mega Charizard Y is Flygon's partner in this team, and I decided on it to give my team some Fire Type moves. Solar Beam takes care of any Water or Rock type threats, and works great with Drought. Heat Wave is for Fire STAB and is powered up by Drought, and also hits two Pokemon at once. Charizard's Flying typing gives it immunity to Earthquake. Roost is to heal it, although I either don't need to use it or don't get the chance to, and Air Slash is for Flying STAB. It acts as a bulky special sweeper.

Ludicolo @ Damp Rock
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Energy Ball
- Surf
- Ice Beam
Ludicolo is part of a little gimmick I made up in which I have a Pokemon with Water Absorb and a Pokemon with Surf to heal it. I chose Ludicolo in order to get rid of many of Water's weaknesses since it's partner is Poliwrath. I gave it Rain Dance to make use of Swift Swim and power up my Water attacks. Then I gave it Surf to use with Poliwrath's Water Absorb, Energy Ball for STAB, and Ice Beam for the combo's major Flying weakness, as well as to combat any Dragon Types and the ever so common Landorus-T. The Damp Rock is to lengthen the effects of Rain Dance.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Circle Throw
- Waterfall
- Protect
My final team member is Poliwrath, who is Luicolo's partner. I gave it Bulk Up to heighten its stats, although I rarely use it, Circle Throw for Fighting STAB and to throw off the opponent's strategy, eliminate any stat changes they may have achieved, and to temporarily dispose of any unwanted threats. Waterfall is for Water Stab, and Protect is to make use of Leftovers if healing is needed. Poliwrath is a bulky sweeper that could possibly be a wall if I used it that way, but I tend to use it more for sweeping, even though almost my entire team is sweepers.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I would really appreciate any feedback or help you guys can offer, as I have achieved some success with this team and have tweaked it many times, but I think I could benefit from some more experienced opinions. I think the most important things to fix are my leads' weakness to Earthquake, somehow counter Trick Room teams, and help make it so they aren't all sweepers. While I am aware of these flaws, I am a bit unsure as to how to go about fixing them without ruining the synergy of the team. Thanks in advance!

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Zen Headbutt

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunder

Flygon @ Yache Berry
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash

Ludicolo @ Damp Rock
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Energy Ball
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Circle Throw
- Waterfall
- Protect

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hi there, Swimmer128! I put off this rate for a while because the team's a little harder to rate than the average team—you'll see why in a moment. Hope it can be of some use, though.

General Comments / Team Structure
First of all, though, it's good to see that you have some part of the Doubles teambuilding mindset down, in attempting to form synergies between members of your team so that they can operate at full capacity on the field, such as the Earthquake + floating user combination, Surf + Water Absorb, etc. This is where a lot of players start, and it's not necessarily bad.

However, your thinking in respect to this particular point is a little lacking or flawed, in two parts. Firstly, the whole team has to cohese, not just individual pairs. In any given match, you won't always have Flygon out with Charizard, for example, so the rest of your team must be able to work at least somewhat decently with this pairing. Your particular case has the really jarring combination of a Rain Dance Ludicolo with a Drought Charizard, which is counterproductive because neither works well with the other weather, which really limits your options in battle.

Secondly, type considerations and immunities do play a part in high-level teambuilding, but they're more often something like "I have a Landorus-T, let me see if I can fit in a Ground-type immunity somewhere on this team", as opposed to "Let me build a team around a Landorus-T and a Ground-type immunity it can sit next to". See the difference? The former mindset is about keeping the team's options open, giving it more flexibility to play around its own Earthquakes and letting Landorus-T unleash its powerful STAB attack more frequently. The latter is almost the opposite—intending to keep a Ground-type immunity next to Landorus-T all the time just so it can use Earthquake pins your own Pokemon down and really limits your options. In the case of your Ludicolo and Poliwrath, for example, you could easily avoid the problem altogether by using Scald or Hydro Pump Ludicolo instead, or even using Muddy Water Kingdra, which only hits opponents.

Also, speaking of creating options, one golden rule of teambuilding in DOU is that Protect is often the best move, as it lets you set up your board state more effectively and safely (e.g. Protecting Pokemon X which you need on the field for its offensive presence, while simultaneously switching your other slot to check the opponent's checks for Pokemon X). All of your Pokemon lack Protect, which makes it vulnerable to high-offense strategies like Tailwind- or Trick Room-centric teams (as you've noted).

Teambuilding in General
Since this is a Rate My Team, I'll be making some effort to rate your team as shown here. However, I think the best thing you can do at this point if you're really interested in picking up DOU is to re-look the teambuilding process. You can visit the Teambuilding Frameworks thread to see how top players built their teams, with some thought process behind some teams; there's also the Sample Teams thread where you can pick up a nice team to have a few games with to better appreciate the overall build of an average DOU team.

Individual Pokemon
With that lengthy semi-introduction over, I'll talk about each of the Pokemon on your team. A little advance warning: I find that in most cases, your chosen Pokemon isn't great in the particular role you're trying to get it to perform, or is being played into a somewhat ineffective role, or is just outright a poor Pokemon. I'll suggest Pokemon that could cover similar roles as the Pokemon in each case, but I wouldn't recommend making the direct swap and trying the team again, since it's fundamentally fractured in its structure; these are more for learning about what's generally effective and not in the format.

Metagross - More commonly used as a Mega due to the key increase in Speed—as is, it's outrun by fairly key threats such as Landorus-T and perhaps Volcanion, and despite getting to hold a Life Orb, it's just not powerful enough to make significant inroads into opening up the bulky Incineroar/Fini/Zapdos cores that populate the format. Explosion is not very strong anymore after it was nerfed in Gen V, and Bullet Punch off Metagross isn't powerful enough to be its only Steel-type STAB. Metagross' middling speed means that it's open to being chipped down very easily before it can do much, and having to spend a turn to set up Stealth Rock makes this issue worse. Some other options:
  • Bulky, offensive Steel-type which can support its teammates: Wide Guard Aegislash
  • Bulky Steel-type to provide key resistances for your team: Ferrothorn
  • If you really, really, really must use Explosion: Genesect
Gengar - Also more commonly used as a Mega, because Shadow Tag is really good. In its base form, it doesn't quite pack a sufficient punch to justify its ridiculous frailty, and isn't doing much to support its teammates either, so its place is hard to justify over harder-hitting and faster Pokemon with movesets more relevant to hitting the metagame's weaknesses. Some options:
  • Fast and powerful special attacker: Tapu Koko, Choice Scarf Genesect
  • Strong specially-attacking Ghost-type: Aegislash
  • A true glass cannon: Deoxys-Attack
Flygon - As a Ground-type, outclassed by Landorus-T, which hits harder, has Intimidate, and can pivot effectively with U-turn. Not much else to say here. As I mentioned earlier, including Fire Punch just to feed off the harsh sunlight Charizard sets isn't a super great idea (keep in mind that due to STAB, Fire Punch in the Sun hits about as hard as a spread STAB Earthquake, so there's little point in having it). Replacement options:
  • Physical Ground-type offense: Landorus-T
  • (er...)
Charizard - Charizard is a decent Pokemon, but definitely not one of the best Mega choices. It's a good shout on offense-heavy teams—for example, set up Tailwind and beat down the opponent with Heat Waves and Earthquakes before it expires—but other than that, it doesn't really fit into the typical bulky offense structure which is successful in DOU. That said, you seem to enjoy hyper-offense, so perhaps Charizard is worth building around for you. That said, if Charizard's going to get any damage output going, it would generally be with a quicker set, since you'd want it to be able to outrun and set things on fire in general.

Ludicolo - A good call on a Rain team with a dedicated setter, but if you ask it to set Rain for itself, that's leaving it open to one full turn of attacks before it can get anything going. Having it hold a Damp Rock also weakens its offensive prowess once it actually gets the Rain up. Ludicolo isn't exactly the bulkiest of Pokemon, so I wouldn't use it in any other way than a dedicated Rain sweeper-esque role.
  • Water-type on a non-Rain team: Tapu Fini (more setup-oriented), Volcanion (more damage-oriented)
  • Other rain sweeper: Kingdra
Poliwrath - Quite a bad Pokemon. Slow, hits for nothing, and has an awful typing that leaves it wide open to the extremely common Electric- and Fairy-type attacks that run rampant in the tier.
  • Bulky Water-type set-up move user: Calm Mind Tapu Fini
So What Should I Use Instead?
As always, the Teambuilding Frameworks and Sample Teams threads in the DOU Forums are great places to pick up some teambuilding tips and learn how to improve your teambuilding. The Sample Teams thread has a sample Mega Charizard team in the first post, by AuraRayquaza; that could be a good place to start, or you could see if one of the other ones catches your fancy. Overall, this was quite a long rate, and most of it was negative, but I hope it didn't deter you! Feel free to reply to this post if you have any other doubts, too; good luck with your team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)