Swampert

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

[Overview]

<p></p>

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Scald / Roar
item: Leftovers
ability: Torrent
nature: Relaxed
evs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p></p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p></p>

[SET]
name: Tank
move 2: Ice Punch
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Waterfall
item: Leftovers
nature: Adamant
evs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p></p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p></p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 2: Waterfall / Aqua Tail
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Superpower
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant
evs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p></p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p></p>

[Other Options]

<p></p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p></p>

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
SpD>SDef and Spe>Spd iirc.
Oh and even though Superpower can beat Ferrothorn sometimes, I wouldn't suggest it for the defensive set because:

a) it won't kill, and Ferrothorn can retaliate with Power Whip, easily OHKOing Swampert. Also, Ferrothorn can just use Leech Seed + Protect to gain health back, and then switch to anything else

b) it's inferior to Scald by a large amount

I'd also like to address Roar.

What can Swampert actually phaze out in the current metagame?
The top set-up sweepers are:

SD Breloom
SubSD Chomp
SD Excadrill
SD Gliscor
CM Keldeo
CM Chandelure (although only 20% of Chandelure)
DD Nite

Out of all these, Roar is basically useless against all. DD Nite can be hurt with Ice Beam, Chandelure with EQ/Scald, Keldeo is going to OHKO in the rain at +1 anyway, Gliscor dies to Ice Beam, Excadrill dies to Scald/EQ, Chomp dies to Ice Beam, and Breloom wins anyway.
Of all those Pokemon, Roar is only useful against Keldeo outside of rain, and SubSD Chomp sometimes (but it still has the same miss chance as Ice Beam).

Also, I've got some qualms with the EV spreads.
First thing I noticed is that they are the exact same as the OU ones. They can possibly be made better. (runs some calcs)
First, the big question, what are we aiming to wall? Obviously not special threats, so let's look at the main physical attackers in the tier:
1. Tyranitar 2. Excadrill 3. Garchomp 4. Breloom 5. Landorus 6. Scizor 7. Salamence 8. Dragonite 9. Cloyster 10. Heracross 11. Terrakion 12. Gyarados

Tyranitar: All right, Swampert can easily beat it.

Excadrill: If Swampert switches in on the SD, and SR is up, Swampert is OHKO'd. If SR is up, it is likely to get 2HKO'd by an incoming EQ, and SR + 1 layer of Spikes guarantees the 2HKO.

Garchomp: #1: If Garchomp gets up an SD, Swampert is 2HKO'd, and Ice Beam has the potential to miss, and doesn't OHKO anyways. This is the one situation in which Roar is good for, as Swampert would be able to phaze Garchomp out, but not without losing over half of its health.
#2: With SR + 1 layer of Spikes, Swampert is 3HKO'd by Earthquake, so it still loses a majority of its health, and cannot OHKO Garchomp with Ice Beam.

Breloom: Wins 100% of the time, self-explanatory.

Landorus: Swampert can OHKO with Ice Beam, while Landorus doesn't do an overly large amount back, so good here.

Scizor: Scizor can just U-turn away from Swampert, dealing around 40% health damage in exchange.

Salamence: Loses to Ice Beam, but Swampert takes heavy damage.

Dragonite: Does not die to Ice Beam, and can 2HKO with CB/+1 Outrage.

Cloyster: +2 Hydro Pump OHKO's after SR + 2 layers of Spikes, ~80% with 1 layer.

Heracross: 2HKO after SR with CC.

Terrakion: CB CC 2HKO's.

Gyarados: Swampert loses without Roar.

Swampert is beating 2/12 if it has to switch-in, which is what it is doing if it is meant to take attacks from these Pokemon. My suggestion? Make a Tank set and put Defensive>Tank>CB. This way, Swampert can actually retaliate hard, and isn't taking on many of these physical attackers anyway. Make the EVs 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def (I know they are the same as the UU spread, but they work here). Make the attacks fully physical, Waterfall/Ice Punch/SR/EQ. (seriously, the same set too?) Keep the defensive set as is, and make it the first option, as a lot of instances I mentioned are somewhat situational.

tl;dr
- SpD>SDef and Spe>Spd
- Deslash Roar and Superpower from the defensive set
- Keep Roar in AC for Offensive DD Nite, SubSD Chomp, and Gyarados.
- add a Tank set with 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def | Adamant | Waterfall/Ice Punch/SR/EQ

That's all I got. Cheers!

EDIT: I reread my post, and realized I was kind of blunt. Sorry about that.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
thanks alot! I always enjoy feedback and that was really helpful. I do agree with you in most cases, but I do see some merit in keeping Roar slashed on because of its utility. That tank set you included seems really interesting and I did include it, as it seems like a middle ground between the two other sets, offering a more offensive (but not restricted) Swampert.

Also sorry for taking so long to get to writing this n_n, studying for exams is rough but I will try to write this up in the next few days

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)