- Stealth Rock
- Brick Break / Thunder Wave / Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake

pick one:

Salamence @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Fairy / Water
EVs: 248 HP / 140 SpA / 12 SpD / 108 Spe [Outspeeds Adamant Slither Wing, and Jolly Bisharp. Lives 2 TBolts from Sandy Shocks]
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 12 SpD / 112 Spe [Outspeeds Scarf Gengar at +2 and anything unboosted at +1. Lives 2 TBolts from Sandy Shocks]
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Dragon Claw / Dual Wingbeat
- Earthquake

Tera Type: Fairy / Ghost / Water
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe [Enough Speed to outspeed Adamant Gallade, and enough bulk to live 2 Psycho Cuts from CB Adamant Gallade]
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Dual Wingbeat
This is a defensive/balance core that does well against 90% of the tier. Slowbro and SpDef Tyranitar are 2 extremely fat Pokemon, and compliment each other well. Tyranitar taking care of Dark, and Ghost types, as well as Kilowattrel that switch in on Slowbro, while Slowbro takes care of Fighting types. Slowbro takes care of very strong physical attackers like DD Baxcalibur (Body Press is an OHKO after Glaive Rush), SD Lucario, Floatzel, Dragon Dancers like Haxorus and Salamence, Choice Scarf Staraptor and Maushold. Tyranitar is able to check Gengar and choiced Hydreigon, as well as beat Kilowattrel, Noivern, Toxtricity, Iron Jugulis, and Armarouge. Salamence rounds out the core, by taking care of the things that Slowbro struggles against, like Slither WIng, Lokix and Gallade. This core is brutal against rain, as Slowbro deals with every physical Water type, while TTar takes care of Specs Kilowattrel. Some things that this core struggles against are Sub+NP Hydreigon, TB Ice/Specs Sandy Shocks, and Polteageist. So make sure to have some answers for those last 2 when you build with this core. Overall, this is a really solid core that easily fits on Balance, as well as Bulky Offense, and is able to give your team a good matchup against a huge portion of the metagame. Have fun using this core, if you choose to try it out :)

:orthworm: + :gastrodon:

These pokemon cover each other well... gastro for sp. def mons and orthoworm for phys def... if that is all I had to say that isnt a good core but they pair well. Gastrodon normally struggles against grass type pokemon or physical attackers and orthworm provides it just that while gastrodon can deal with the fire type attacks and can take on special fighting moves easily most of the time. Tho these are special in that they can hazard stack and abuse it to an extent... with sludge bomb poisons racking up additional chip damage on top of hazards opponents will spend a lot of time healing them off... additionally orthworm is able to force a lot of progress against teams that have walls that cannot touch it and its able to force progress with its iron press set.

Orthworm @ Leftovers
Ability: Earth Eater
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Defense

Gastrodon-East @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Spikes

:sv/scream tail: :sv/forretress:

Scream Tail @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Wish
- Protect
- Encore

Forretress @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Body Press

Balance core that I've liked so far. Scream Tail keep Forretress alive so that it can relay spikes and rapid spin throughout the course of the game while Forretress keeps spikes off the field, which Scream Tail appreciates. Forretress can also use rocky helmet to punish physical steel type attacks aimed at Scream Tail and use steel types as an opportunity to set up spikes.

Team I've been using this core on: https://pokepast.es/5a733106ecb22407

I know someone posted a psychic terrain core here already, but I wanted to add on to that. I have been having a lot of success on the ladder using this psyterrain core of Indeedee, Hawlucha and Polteageist (shoutout to the people in the UU Discord and Showdown chat for helping me with this <3).

I tried working with Scarf/Specs Indeedee but I found myself never using this Pokemon apart from setting up terrain, which is why I think Terrain Extender is decent for it. Healing Wish Indeedee is extremely devastating, giving Hawlucha a second chance to come in and wreck havoc. Speaking of Hawlucha, this thing is a monster atm - and I think Sub > Taunt because I am able to set up Sub on so many Tyranitar (which is an A tier pick atm), Gastrodon (Psychic Seed boost helps!), etc. and then SD as they switch out. It also helps against Quag tbh - since Quag usually runs Toxic, Recover, Rocks, EQ (in my experience). I think Lucha has enough EVs to outspeed Adamant Floatzel in rain after seed consumption, but I'm sure there is a way to improve the EV spread. Polteageist is a superb cleaner that complements well with SubLucha; anything SubLucha can't beat, Polteageist probably can. Terrain protects Polteageist from priority which it is otherwise vulnerable to, while boosting Stored Power to astronomical levels.

Given the impending fate of Gengar seeming closer and closer, here's a core that excludes it that I include on virtually every serious team not centered around Rain, Trick Room, or Sun.

1674982728083.png1674982738537.png1674982748340.png

This is my bread and butter, although sometimes the items are swapped or minor details edited (my main team runs Scarf Sandy as it fits every bill that I need in its team slot, Slither can run CB very effectively, Tink's tera type is flexible.)

Tinkaton is the glue which holds UU together in spite of the offensive juggernauts in the tier, although it isn't perfect and often can struggle to do much outside of tank several Gengar hits and die valiantly for doing so. However, the Volt-Turn core of Tera Ice Sandy Shocks with Spikes and U-Turn non-choice locked Slither make a deadly duo which prevents lots of standard counterplay. Slither in general is just obscenely powerful, and loves volt turn as well as Spikes to threaten kills on Tinkaton, Gastrodon, and Gengar.

If you don't want to die to hazards, Boots are a good option on Sandy. I also recommend a GOOD spinner to help out with issues of water weakness and fire weakness.

Hey I just wanted to share my favourite Balance/Semistall/Stall cores.

:Alomomola::Talonflame::Tinkaton:

Alomomola + Talonflame + Tinkaton cover for most of the metagame while also providing loads of team support to boot. Alomomola checks a large portion of the Physically Offensive metagame while providing Wish Support, Talonflame provides status + Defog support while checking a few of the setup Sweepers Alomomola can't deal with and Tinkaton provides Hazard + Knock Off support while also checking most of the Specially Offensive mons in the tier. Tinkaton helps here especially since it can help take care of a lot of the specially offensive threats in the tier that use Alomomola for offensive momentum

The ideal way to use the core is to use Talonflame and Alomomola as your main physically defensive core while using Tinkaton as your specially defensive glue. This core can handle most of the tier in just 3 slots, so a lot of pressure is taken off of other potential teammates but ideally you'd want something that can spike, handle Volt Turn and/or handle Specially Offensive mons Tink can't wall. So mons like say Wo-Chien, Gastrodon and Hippowdon work well alongside it.

Example teams: Balance, Semi Stall and Stall

Example replays: Semi Stall and Stall

(yes I like Gastrodon a lot).

Last edited:

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
Hello

:sv/kilowattrel: :sv/brambleghast:
Kilowattrel @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Competitive
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hurricane
- Thunderbolt
- Tera Blast

Brambleghast @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Wind Rider
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Shadow Ball
- Strength Sap
- Spikes
You obviously don't need to run exactly these sets, but those are among the best I'd say.
This is probably one of the best hazard stacking cores in the tier thanks to Kilowattrel's amazing offensives qualities, especially now that rain has left the tier. Brambleghast is great at controlling the hazard game since it can block spin from popular mons like Tsareena or Donphan extremely well while setting up spikes, which makes it great at pressuring teams relying on those as their spinners. Hazards are also great for Kilowattrel since it chips its limited counters really heavily. It can get rid of the more annoying Ground types with Tera Blast Grass if it wants and Volt Switch on Tyranitar and Tinkaton as they are forced to take Spiks damage. If hazards are up, it's basically just a matter of time until your team crumbles to Kilowattrel. However, it's worth noting that Talonflame and Altaria can still get rid of the Spikes since Bramble can't block that, and this is where Kilowattrel's Competitive ability comes in. While Volt Absorb may have great defensive utility, the spatk boost provided by competitive can be game-winning as Kilowattrel is already extremely dangerous without doubled special attack and it's not like it's naturally too scared of switching into Talonflame or Altaria. Anyway, Kilowattrel is extremely dangerous and probably one of the best pivots in the current meta and Brambleghast enables it incredibly well, which is why they make for an extremely strong offensive core.

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
:pelipper: + :barraskewda: + :floatzel:
Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Surf
- U-turn
- Roost
- Hurricane

Barraskewda @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Floatzel @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Wave Crash
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Spinner
- Waterfall
This is a basic Offensive Core for rain teams. Pelipper is the obligatory rain setter. A physically defensive EV spread is used to better take hits from the likes of Tinkaton, Scizor, Slither Wing etc. The two swift swim users can wear down shared checks such as Wo-Chien, Brambleghast and Tsareena for each other. Lead off with Pelipper to set up rain, get Floatzel in to wallbreak and clean up with Barraskewda. This core stacks an electric and grass weakness, so checks to offensive electrics and grasses are greatly appreciated. This makes Kilowattrel and Tsareena good partners.

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
Thanks for the submission!

As always with shifts, I update the cores and move some of them to the outdated section. Let me know if I left anything in!

Spr_5b_423E.png
663.gif

I've seen this pair on a lot of teams and I'm surprised nobody has brought up this Balance core up yet. These Pokemon cover their weaknesses extremely well; Storm Drain Gastrodon takes on Rain cores, Sandy Shocks, and other special attackers that Talonflame can't handle. In exchange, Talonflame burns the strong physical attackers that Gastrodon despises as well as pretty much every Grass-type in the tier (assuming they're not Rotom-C or running some unset like Tera Rock TBlast). Taunt protects Gastrodon from getting Taunted (or Encored) itself, while U-Turn lets Gastrodon come in to eat a hit that would otherwise slam Talonflame. Tera Ghost on Talonflame also hinders the clearing of Gastrodon's hazards while also letting the core take on Maushold better. These two are very good at wearing down threats in conjunction with Spikes.
Strong physical attackers that Talonflame struggles with, such as Tera Fire Scizor and Band Tyranitar, are a threat to this core. Wo-Chien is a great partner for this core, as it helps ease this team's matchup against T-Tar as well as strengthening the Sandy Shocks matchup. Sandy Shocks itself is also a great option as a pivot that can help check Scizor in addition to providing Stealth Rocks support. Gengar also appreciates these two's ability to wear down threats so it can clean up; in exchange, it can serve as a spinblocker without needing to Terastallize. If not running Boots on Gastrodon, then Brambleghast is a viable partner due to it being able to spinblock and remove hazards. If running Spikes on Brambleghast, then it can free up Gastrodon to run Stealth Rock instead.
GLONTCH (Gastrodon-East) @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Earth Power
- Recover

malliard (Talonflame) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird / Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt / U-Turn
- Roost

Last edited:
1682880420099.png1682880618203.png click for paste

The core of lycan-d and toxtricity is very nice for me. Toxtricity helps to take advantage of pokemon such as quagsire, while lycan-d helps with gastro which can annoy it a lot esp since boomburst can get stuffed by tera ghost variants. but rly how does toxtricity help with lycan-d? well some of the common checks in the meta to toxtricity are ttar, sp. def chien, sp. def gastro and offensive teams, lycan-d helps with this as getting a free turn vs such pokemon can be a huge boon to allow it to clean late game.

1682881491379.png1682881510146.png <- click for paste

What a core, they are very solid def and phys def chien and sp. def gastro cover so much. Chien covers pokemon such as quag, ttar, leech seed chien (it abuses gastro), gyara, rotom-mow, and many more with tera ghost, it expands it to pawmot, talon, scizor, tera flying gyara, maushold, dd mence, etc. While gastro covers mons that would take it on from the special side such as rotom-h, Iron jugulis, gengar, tera ice sandy shocks, and can help wear opponents down with sludge bomb and rocks esp since pokemon that would want to switch into wo-chien such as mence, talon, rotom-h, specs iron jugulis, now take 25% damage.

1682882160340.png1682882222970.png <- click for link

gard zone is a pretty darn good combo. Tink is the sturdiest fairy resist that comes in the free-est whenever gardevoir is in, removing it with zone is a huge boon to gardevoir which allows it to freely spam moonblast. Trapping scizor that want to click BP is also something that magnezone helps, making it so revenging gardevoir makes scizor have to think twice. tera grass zone allows it to lure in gastro, which is a very sturdy awnser to gardevoir otherwise.

:mandibuzz: :okidogi: - its a nice core because of what they do... mandibuzz gives it a way to screw over iron treads (usually they are eq, spinner, rocks, rapid spin. BU okidogi gives it a way to pressure late game and with toxic chain you can get a lot of passive damage going, same with mandibuzz since a lot of pokemon do not want to take a foul play and toxic aside from select few. This also gives a good HO MU while okidogi gives a good MU into defense
Mandibuzz @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Toxic
- Roost

Okidogi @ Leftovers
Ability: Toxic Chain
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Poison Jab
- Drain Punch
- Psychic Fangs

ill update it with more soon

:overqwil: :gastrodon: :brambleghast:

Overqwil @ Black Sludge
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Barb Barrage
- Toxic Spikes
- Crunch
- Taunt

Brambleghast @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Wind Rider
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Poltergeist
- Strength Sap
- Rapid Spin

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

This is a very, very underrated backbone that I've been using with great success. This gets you access to Spikes, Rocks, Tspikes, and spin - as well as spinblocking and immunities to normal, fighting, water, electric, and psychic - all in three mons. There is obviously some work around the edges due to stuff like Specs Tera Dragon Latios being in the tier, but this is an extremely underrated core that gives you a lot of room to get creative with your last three Pokemon

:garchomp: :metagross:

Garchomp and meta are a nice core with each other... one gets demolished by latios and the other one kinda gets owned by most knock off users.. (chomp can be helmet). Both of them support each other in dealing with their own threats and hazard stacking by overloading most pokemon who want to deal with them... this allows them to rack up serious dmg with hazards and their own attacks as even without much investment they are plenty strong

:tornadus-therian: :hippowdon:

Hippo and torn-t form a nice core with each other, with sand and rocks cutting into many pokemon taunt torn-t is a great partner. THis allows torn-t to just click moves and rack up damage vs enemies.. careful hippo checks zapdos very well and can even be a huge pain for many teams to deal with as knock from torn-t + sand cutting into many of them + torn-t strong attacks allow hippo to just wall a lot of pokemon and have opporutnities to recover often vs smth like zapdos, garg, pex, mandibuzz, etc.

Taunt annoys hazard stack, can prevent status, and can just deny recovery which is why taunt torn-t is pretty nice with this core

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
+

Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 124 Def / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Sludge Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Toxic Spikes

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Substitute
- Protect
- Calm Mind
Making up 2/3's of a fire water grass core, I find these two work really well together. T-Spikes + Vincune elevate it's level of annoying, on the other hand, Vincune can pave the way for an Iron Moth sweep.
I find this core works really well alongside a solid hazard setter such as tank-chomp or sandy shocks, and a decent stall breaker such as sd taunt cornerstone.

+

Reuniclus @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SpA / 244 SpD
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Tera Type: Fighting
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
Reuniclus is a decent pivot into so many special attacking threats such as Keldeo, Latios, Zapdos and Iron Moth, can even function as a soft check against Greninja & Iron Crown, and take on G-Weezing. Future Sight allows Terrakion to spam Close Combat, most of its switch-ins being weak to Psychic or less SpD inclined.
This core does like having a sturdy Steel type team member to take on the likes of Scizor and CM Latios.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)