Resource SV Ubers Viability Rankings (Pre-Home)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that sacking your entire team is kinda a bad move but I can definetely see :Houndstone: to B+. I think the main mistake people make is trying to sack 5/6 of their team in order for a sweep. Ttar and hippo arent even unmons, being ablie to check maraidon and ttar beating chi-yu. Its perfectly fine to play 5v6 until the endgame, where you can easily clutch up and take out a weakened team that would otherwise beat you.

Guy with annoying name

Banned deucer.
Alright I've been playing ubers for a while now, so I'd like to make a suggestion:

Grimmsnarl for A-/A. The thing is so good at supporting hyper offensive teams that it is crazy, and running brick break just to deal with it isn't all that uncommon. Reflect and Light Screen are crazy good in a meta where Pokemon like Koraidon and Miraidon are absolutely everywhere to take advantage of the bulk it gives for free set up. I mean, even less common mons like Annihilape, Espthara or Gholdengo heavily appreciate it, but the fact the two best Pokemon in the tier become even better when accounting it is insane. The Moonblast from Flutter Mane, or the Ice Beam from Iron Bundle suddenly no longer OHKO, without having to use up terra. And if you're thinking of using taunt on it, think again, it will use taunt before you do, and using your own to fix the problem won't work as prankster fails with dark types. In conclusion, I feel this thing allows already dangerous Pokemon to set up and destroy so easily, or at least give the huge benefit of taking a hit when you wouldn't normally, that B+ doesn't feel like enough.

Nyx

Anyways - so then I cursed her.
is a Site Content Manageris a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Some potential changes that came to mind

Rises
:annihilape: Annihilape: B+ -> A-
Its shockingly bulky and is a somewhat reliable check to Iron Bundle, while not being overly passive. Has great potential as a end game wincon as well against bulky teams.
:espathra: Espathra: B+ -> A-
It's Espathra. It's bullshit. It does Espathra things.
:toxapex: Toxapex: B+ -> A-
Is a good glue mon, with the ability to absorb TSpikes. Having the ability to pivot into Koraidon while having Regen makes it a valuable mon for most teams.
:clodsire: Clodsire: B -> B+
CLODDERS. Is a great check to the ever popular CM Agility Miraidon, while also being able to absorb Toxic Spikes. Its just a tier above the mons in B at the moment.
:kingambit: Kingambit: B -> B+
It does a similar thing to Sand Rush Houndstone, an effective end-game cleaner, while not being locked into 1 specific move. Having strong priority paired with great bulk, Supreme Overlord and access to SD make it a potent wincon.
:pelipper: Pelipper: B- -> B+
The birb is a solid check to most Koraidon/sun in general, while also enabling Specs Iron Bundle to blast past its checks. Enables more niche options like Floatzel as well.

Drops
:gholdengo: Gholdengo: A -> A-
While in theory a great Pokémon, with solid matchups into the mons below it, it loses to the best mons in the tier, bar Iron Bundle, which can Flip Turn on it. Its best use is on HO builds because of this, making it a more niche pick.
:blissey: Blissey: B+ -> C
This Pokémon sux. Bottom text. Its complete setup fodder for setup Miraidon, gets Psyshocked by Flutter Mane, gets Flip Turned on by Iron Bundle, and gets 2HKOd by Specs Chi-Yu, it fails to check the mons its 'meant' to check. Its best use is as a Stealth Rocker on fat teams, which is not a hard niche to fill.
:chansey: Chansey: C -> UR
See above, except there's not Boots.
:iron-valiant: Iron Valiant: B+ -> B
Not at all a bad Pokémon, just overrated. It has a strong offensive presence, but fails to OHKO anything slower than it bar Ting-Lu and is forced out by the mons faster than it. It's hard to justify putting a mon with little-to-no defensive utility on a team when the breaking power simply isn't there.
:houndstone: Houndstone: B -> C
Sand Rush teams suck (1 use and 1 loss in UWL). The Fluffy set isn't bad by any means, it's just outclassed and constantly finds itself being overshadowed by other mons when it comes to filling the team slot. Last Respects is hilariously broken but the doggo doesn't have the kit to abuse it effectively.

Not an exhaustive list, just thought I'd list some mons that deserve to be moved.

Last edited:
Some potential changes that came to mind

Rises
:toxapex: Toxapex: B+ -> A-
Is a good glue mon, with the ability to absorb TSpikes. Having the ability to pivot into Koraidon while having Regen makes it a valuable mon for most teams.
:clodsire: Clodsire: B -> B+
CLODDERS. Is a great check to the ever popular CM Agility Miraidon, while also being able to absorb Toxic Spikes. Its just a tier above the mons in B at the moment.
:kingambit: Kingambit: B -> B+
It does a similar thing to Sand Rush Houndstone, an effective end-game cleaner, while not being locked into 1 specific move. Having strong priority paired with great bulk, Supreme Overlord and access to SD make it a potent wincon.
:pelipper: Pelipper: B- -> B+
The birb is a solid check to most Koraidon/sun in general, while also enabling Specs Iron Bundle to blast past its checks. Enables more niche options like Floatzel as well.

Drops
:gholdengo: Gholdengo: A -> A-
While in theory a great Pokémon, with solid matchups into the mons below it, it loses to the best mons in the tier, bar Iron Bundle, which can Flip Turn on it. Its best use is on HO builds because of this, making it a more niche pick.

:houndstone: Houndstone: B -> C
Sand Rush teams suck (1 use and 1 loss in UWL). The Fluffy set isn't bad by any means, it's just outclassed and constantly finds itself being overshadowed by other mons when it comes to filling the team slot. Last Respects is hilariously broken but the doggo doesn't have the kit to abuse it effectively.

Not an exhaustive list, just thought I'd list some mons that deserve to be moved.
To add some thoughts - Tspikes are good… really good. Clod and pex set them but are also the only real absorbers as well. Chronically underrated mons in my opinion.

Water absorb is quite good on Clodsire as well… there are barely any good special water resists in the tier and dropping unaware means u can actually take 2 Dracos from Spec Morai without any worry (likewise for -2 specs chiyu overheat). Yawn is also good vs Corv since can prevent defog even in elec terrain.

Hawlucha should also be ranked, probably somewhere in B/B+. Elec seed SD is absurdly strong vs many offensive teams and it doesn’t really care about most physical checks except pex and dozo. Typing makes it a nice utility check to gambit and the Tusk as well. I like HJK / acro / roost / sd atm. In e terrain, it also acts as a pseudoscarfer when necessary

Gimmicky

You give me chills, I've had it with the drills
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:arboliva: up to C

Being able to answer many Miraidon sets, most Flutter Mane sets, some Ting-Lu sets and many other less relevant pokemon like Houndstone, Dozo, and press-less Hippo in one slot without necessitating the use of your valuable tera type is really useful, but it's still pretty passive and loses 1v1 to many other metagame staples like Koraidon and Chien-Pao without wasting your tera.

:drednaw: UR to C/C-

After a bunch of testing with rain, I ended up stumbling upon this hidden gem. Potentially one of the only viable Swift Swimmers in the tier thanks to it's solid speed tier and ability still boost it's speed even outside of rain, allowing it to clean up by setting up againist a defensive Pokémon such as :alomomola: or ground types it scares out like :ting-lu:.
I've been using this set:

Mi Revolucion (Drednaw) (F) @ White Herb / Yache Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 92 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Tera Blast
- Liquidation
- Earthquake / Stone Edge
- Shell Smash

Tera Blast + Tera Fairy allows you to potentially beat one of rain's biggest annoyances in Koraidon, while making it resist it's fighting stab allowing you to setup a Shell Smash in front of it. EV spread allows you to take a Choice Specs Flutter Mane Moonblast, while the speed allows you to outspeed Iron Bundle (without Quark Drive / Choice Scarf) with Rain up / +2 speed from Shell Smash.
I've found Earthquake to be more useful than other moves thanks to it hitting most importantly Toxapex but also Clodsire.
Unfortunately it's stone walled by Dondozo and it hates stuff like Scarf Koraidon, but I think it deserves a mention in the VR.

DREAD THE DREDNAW

Walking Wake is a solid B. It doesn't do its role of wallbreaking too reliably, given that it is entirely dependent on Sun being up. It has some really good qualities, such as living a hit from Chi-Yu even in Sun. It also has an amazing match up into many of the common playstyles, especially Scarf Koraidon + Specs Chi-Yu teams which are often hard to play against without having to go for risky Speed ties from turn 1. Now you can afford to make exactly one mistake. Biggest problem is its Speed tier and the fact that it doesn't get that many switch in opportunities since it shares a type with Koraidon (you can't hard U-turn into it a lot of the time). I am talking about Specs here btw.

Iron Leaves is so overlooked, you have no idea guys. This is definitely the better one of the two, and I would suggest pacing it in B+, or also B if you are doubtful even after testing. Just to warn you, it doesn't have a good HO mu, but it is the best ground killer we have seen so far. It destroys all the grounds in a single hit. You think Great Tusk takes one?

DISCLAIMER: All of the following calcs are Jolly. (Adamant is also viable this is just personal preference)

252 Atk Life Orb Quark Drive Iron Leaves Psyblade (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk in Electric Terrain: 398-468 (91.7 - 107.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Dirge walls it right?
252 Atk Life Orb Quark Drive Iron Leaves Psyblade (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skeledirge in Electric Terrain: 239-282 (58.1 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (This actually hits harder than Mega Ray LO Dragon Ascent btw)

Believe me now? This thing is amazing, and if the two primary Physically defensive walls can't stand up to it, nothing can. If you need further convincing:

252 Atk Life Orb Quark Drive Iron Leaves Psyblade (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Miraidon in Electric Terrain: 331-391 (97 - 114.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Iron Leaves Psyblade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Koraidon: 304-359 (89.1 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO without Terrain
252 Atk Life Orb Quark Drive Iron Leaves Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Corviknight in Electric Terrain: 411-486 (103 - 121.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Quark Drive Iron Leaves Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Corviknight in Electric Terrain: 325-385 (81.2 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Quark Drive Iron Leaves Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Corviknight: 211-248 (52.8 - 62.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Quark Drive Iron Leaves Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ting-Lu: 413-486 (80.3 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Quark Drive Iron Leaves Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Iron Treads: 400-473 (104.1 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Quark Drive Iron Leaves Psyblade (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo in Electric Terrain: 173-204 (54.9 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

All these calcs are amazing BUT it only comes into it's own under Electric Terrain so take that into account. It's Speed tier isn't that amazing but it can outspeed Great Tusk and Chi-Yu which is pretty good. It also switches in really easily, on the likes of Ting-Lu, Great Tusk, Clodsire and Iron Treads, all of whom it absolutely dominates. For teams struggling against those just slap this one and you'll be good. I would maybe even propose it being raised to A-, but I wanna stay realistic and I know you won't believe me anyways. If you are looking to try it out here is the spread:

Iron Leaves @ Life Orb
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Psyblade
- Close Combat
- Wild Charge

Tera Steel is to take the Ice moves that are constantly being used to revenge kill you, now you can turn the tables and kill them. Tera Fight is another option that can be used for resisting Kingambit's Sucker Punch and extra power on CC. SD is a wasted moveslot, absolute dogshit, you SD and get forced out and you don't need the power boost anyway so don't waste your time. Also, don't use that dumb Trail Blaze SD bs from OU. You want to switch in and out of battle while threatening out the grounds and nuking everything in sight. This is the only good set to my knowledge. CB locking you into one move is unnecessary, LO is more than enough (under terrain). If you really want more power you could go Adamant, but I wanna be able to outspeed Chi-Yu 100% of the time (just personal preference).

I didn't save replays but I do have this so you can kinda see how it's supposed to work:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ubers-1814038341-xsx2j60gtt8ovdrkz7q9cpwx6645wnfpw

Before you start shitting on me like: "dude linking 1400 elo replays as proof lmfaooooo" or similar, this is just an example of how it's supposed to work so you can't say I didn't link replays. And also for your concern, I would have linked other replays but I didn't save any as I said already.

And as for my other suggestions:
Bundle potentially S
Gholdengo to A-
Esphatra to A
Armarouge to C
Houndstone C- or D

Not much else I disagree on, some dumb stuff in C like Dudunsparce I think should be moved to UR but nothing notable.

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
VR update time! Due to the tier being so new we did a full update rather than a mini, and will definitely be keeping an eye on some things if a mini is needed in the future to bring some things up to pace with the metagame.

Voting Slate

Rises:
:chi-yu: A --> A+

:toxapex: B+ --> A-

:clodsire: :gothitelle: :kingambit: :palafin: B --> B+

:pelipper: B- --> B

:alomomola: C+ --> B-

:dragonite: C --> B-

:froslass: :hatterene: C --> B

New:
:walking-wake: UR --> B

:hawlucha: :floatzel: UR --> C

:iron-leaves: UR

Note that with Walking Wake and Iron Leaves being so new we will be monitoring their progress in the metagame closely, and will adjust their rankings if need be. It's not possible to have extensive experience with these Pokemon yet so our council was unsure of their true viability, but this is where they will stand for now.

Drops:
:flutter-mane: A+ --> A

:corviknight: :skeledirge: A --> A-

:gholdengo: A --> B+

:glimmora: :iron-treads: A- --> B

:blissey: :iron-valiant: B+ --> B-

:dondozo: :espathra: :grimmsnarl: :garganacl: B+ --> B

:dugtrio: B+ --> C

:houndstone: B --> C+

:iron-moth: :scream-tail: B --> B-

:pawmot: B- --> C

:baxcalibur: :cyclizar: :dachsbun: :hippowdon: :slither-wing: C+ --> C

:garchomp: C+ --> C-

:cloyster: C+ --> UR

:azumarill: :ceruledge: :slowking: C --> C-

:chansey: :dudunsparce: :gyarados: C --> UR

:arboliva: :brute-bonnet: :cetitan: :maushold: :slowbro: :tinkaton: :umbreon: C- --> UR

If you have any questions about any of the changes feel free to ask here, will be trying to respond to most of them for the next few days. If you have questions about something's specific viability rather than its change in placement, the sqsa thread is still better for that as per usual.

Last edited:
What causes Toxapex to rise? Doesn't the nerfs make it less splashable in this offensive meta? Is it because it is able to choose what it can check?

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
What caused Palafin to rise?

What caused Flutter Mane to drop?
Rain in general is pretty decent, especially since Pelipper is quite good at checking non-Wild Charge Koraidon, and enabling Tera Water Miraidon. That said, Palafin is not only good on rain and BU sets are quite decent when paired with drain punch + tera fairy. Overall, its a slight rise, and the mon is not fantastic or anything, but some metagame developments make it slightly better.

Flutter Mane as a Fairy type is cool and all, and it still has quite a bit of power and revenging potential, but the sets and Tera typings of a lot of the metagame has shifted against it, with Tera Ice Bundle being able to take it on, Tera Fire Koraidon and Tera Fairy Miraidon beating it 1v1, SpDef Corv being popular to check it and Bundle, Clodsire and Toxapex walling it when Flutter doesn't have Psyshock

What causes Toxapex to rise? Doesn't the nerfs make it less splashable in this offensive meta? Is it because it is able to choose what it can check?
Toxapex still remains a decent check to Flutter Mane, Iron Valiant, and Koraidon even with the nerfs. Also, Tspikes are just fantastic in the current metagame, and both Clodsire and Pex really appreciate having them.

Scovillain aside, here’s an opinion I have on the VR.

:floatzel:back to UR
Floatzel really isn’t good. It’s totally reliant on rain to function in a meta where Koraidon is a top 2 Pokémon. Its stats aren’t that good either; it’s extremely frail, 105 Attack is pretty below average, and 115 Speed would be good if some of the best Pokémon in the tier didn’t have Speed stats of 135 (or in Iron Bundle’s case, 136) and didn’t beat Floatzel in some form. Maybe I’m being a bit harsh on Floatzel, but I don’t think it really has a place in Ubers.

Last edited:

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Scovillain aside, here’s an opinion I have on the VR.

:floatzel: to UR
Floatzel really isn’t good. It’s totally reliant on rain to function in a meta where Koraidon is a top 2 Pokémon. Its stats aren’t that good either; it’s extremely frail, 105 Attack is pretty below average, and 115 Speed would be good if some of the best Pokémon in the tier didn’t have Speed stats of 135 (or in Iron Bundle’s case, 136) and didn’t beat Floatzel in some form. Maybe I’m being a bit harsh on Floatzel, but I don’t think it really has a place in Ubers.
some disagreements I have with this, I do think Floatzel is bad but I still think it deserves a spot on the VR. Although Koraidon is a top 2 Pokémon, Pelipper teams have seen a lot of usage thanks to not only checking Koraidon and Tusk, but by amplifying the wallbreaking power of Tera Water Miraidon and Iron Bundle. Floatzel under Rain outspeeds every scarfer, Double Dance Miraidon after an Agility, Iron Bundle under Terrain, etc, and still has incredibly difficult to switch into attacks. It
definitely is not a metagame defining threat, lacks longevity, and can invite in Koraidon, but the sheer speed and power make it worth considering on a few teams every so often.

Reactions: KSr
some disagreements I have with this, I do think Floatzel is bad but I still think it deserves a spot on the VR
If we are going to mention "bad" pokemon on VR then where is Iron Leaves? What was with Genesect last gen? For the record, I dont think either of these two are bad, however everyone else disagrees so I am categorizing them as such. It had tour showings unlike this thing and yet it wasn't given a fair chance by most council members (talking about Gene here, and yes I am still pissed about that). Both of these are miles better (in their metagames) than the guy that can't manage USUM PU (Floatzel).

My point is, if a mon is not good and has no tournament representation then how can you claim that it even is viable? Did most council members try it out to test if it is viable or did they just go "eh, seems fine for C-"? What is it doing on the VR?

The opposite is also true. See Maushold who has an argument for being viable and has had tournament representation to prove it (I think Maushold sucks personally, but can't say before I looked into it further). Of course, no one is perfect, but this is as close to objective as we'll get. (I agree with OreoSpeedruns)

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
What was with Genesect last gen?
I will only comment on this: every tier that has something in it that is not available in a lower tier HAS to rank it, usually in D rank if it's borderline a burden to have it on the team. This has happened with bad Arceus formes in the past, with Deoxys' base forme in almost any gen since its inception and Genesect when it first dropped in SS. It's categorically different from something like Iron Leaves and/or Floatzel which are both legal to use in OU and maybe UU (I haven't checked).

Here's a nom so this post has more substance to it: :toxapex: to B+ I don't know what you all were smoking to think this thing doesn't give 30 different Pokemon a setup opportunity while having lost Scald and Knock Off.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
My point is, if a mon is not good and has no tournament representation then how can you claim that it even is viable? Did most council members try it out to test if it is viable or did they just go "eh, seems fine for C-"? What is it doing on the VR?
Yes, we do try it out. Personally, I tried it out thinking I might use it for UWL.
1679364944215.png

I voted for it to be unranked after my experiences with it, but in general we as a VR council do try to try out things to see if they're good, especially if they have been nom'd by other members. We then tally the votes so that the average becomes the pokemon's new position, to make sure that the VR doesn't end up being overly off. This is also the sort of resource that we mostly make for the sake of helping out newer players to the tier more than anything else, to give a quick and easy idea of the state of the metagame, what's most important to teams, etc, which is very important for times like Grand Slam, early in seasonals, and during our team tours. Especially for the fringely viable stuff, this can sometimes result in things either being ranked when they shouldnt or not being ranked when they should be about C or C-.

The Mausehold Manifesto:

UR to C or C-

Mausehold is a Pokemon that fulfills a niche no other Pokemon can, and at that it does it well, which is to remove hazards and provide offensive momentum and sweeping momentum to hyper offensive teams. The versitality of Tidy Up and the ability to sweep a weakened team or break holes is deserving to a ranking on the VR. This Pokemon also has desireable traits such as Encore which allows you to abuse defensive teams and setup, Taunt that prevents status moves, recovery moves, or hazards to go up against the MAUSE. Aditionally it has excelent coverage moves such as Beat Up to prevent its inherent weakness to Rocky Helmet, Low Kick for Steel- and Rock-types and Thunder Wave to allow its teamates an easier time against the opposing team. Most importanly its signature move Population Bomb is an absurd move that at +1 can ko any target that isnt a resist, what else could you want?.

You cant cover the sun with your own hand, this Pokemon has glaring weaknesses mostly being its frailty and due to its signature Population Bomb a weakness to Pokemon with Rocky Helmet. Nevertheless, these weaknesses can be overcomed; the first is easily overcomed with screens support allowing Mausehold easy setup or pivot moves, which allow it easier entry on the field and thus easier time setting up. The second weakness is overcome due to its expansive support movepool and Tera Type, encore can lock a possible wall into an undisereable move allowing Mausehold to become so strong that it bypasses the death recoil from using Population Bomb against a Rocky Helmet user, aditionally you can also use low powered moves that abuse its ability Technitian that also bypass contact such as Beat Up and Bullet Seed.

Teambuilding:

Mausehold unlike some Pokemon on this VR has had a successful Tournament Usage, not only once but multiple times. As i said before Mausehold is preferably used in Hyper Offensive Teams which allow of its good traits dont go unfulfilled.

https://pokepast.es/5f445dd0ec6473d1

This is the team in question, this team has been relatively popular both in tournament and in ladder as its an effective Hyper Offensve team which provides Mausehold enough room to do its thing, to prove my point even further ill provide replays of said team being used in multiple tour envirements such as: Ubers Winter League III, and the 2023 Ubers Winter Seasonal; aditionally ill be including replays of said team being used in AG due to its similarity with the Ubers tier currently (as in its the exact same metagame with no difference).

Replays:

Mashing vs Floss
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ubers-673529

Mashing vs Tier
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9anythinggoes-1799690370-4t1fzrbq9b95zdzxnj2nhird9ivspg6pw

Mashing vs jb291
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9anythinggoes-1809434823-k464snf1zjmbxdwyzzearexgewjyptepw

Kythr vs Dark Shion
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ubers-1809285643-9hnfjsvp1fj6vree2qv3gdeqz68mazapw

Kythr vs Ainzcrad
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ubers-1796386861-58p84ss8gozzgtvjbine2m7ehpxezsqpw

These replays have been selected, since these have been the ones that show the team best but are not the only ones of these team being used.

Closing Thoughts:

In conclusion, Mausehold is a Pokemon worthy of being mentioned on the Viability Rankings since it provides utility to its team while also being a sweeping threat that has to be acounted for when you face against it. Thank you for reading.

:kingambit: to at least A-

Kingambit has been seeing a rise on ladder, and for a reason. Kingambit can pretty easily take over an endgame with Supreme Overlord, amazing bulk and Swords Dance, a neat type combination for Ubers, both offensively and defensively, and ability to completely turn endgame matchups on their head with Tera. For example, whereas Great Tusk would normally dominate Kingambit, when Kingambit Terastallizes Flying, suddenly it is the one dominating Great Tusk. It even has Sucker Punch, of course, just in case you thought faster Pokémon were enough to take it on. I really do think B+ rank is downplaying how good Kingambit is in this tier. It’s basically Houndstone but if Houndstone was actually good.

Last edited:

LouisIX

UPL Champion
some nomination:
Dragonite to B+
when people are arguing about dragonite tera reliance, the fact that the way of how a non-tera dragonite affect your whole rotation is insane. Imagine this: if your mons has health all below 70% and no normal resist, you are potentially getting sweep by +1 tera normal espeed. 70% is not a hard number; in fact, just spikes+rocks would put most mon into around 80% hp. this means when facing dragonite, a death counter is on where you have to pivot extremely carefully on hazards and chips, not to mention dragonite is capable to survive most attack thanks to multiscale and a huge move pool including the tusk eliminating Draco meteor/Surf. The meta is really favourable to strong priority which is also reflected on the recent thrive of Kingambit as well.

Kingambit to A-
Though the recent thrive of kingambit can be explained as the vanishing of unaware and encore user (iron bundle, specifically), you can still argue that kingambit is one of the most annoying mon to face in the late game and it is a beyond B mon. It shares most check of koraidon as thus they synergise with each other very well with great typing where it counters most gholdengo (and thus most hazard stacking style) and what you can do is really dont allow it to swords dance after fallen:3 or sometimes even at fallen:2. It is too powerful for revenge killer and too bulky for passive defender. One of the most popular tera of Kingambit, tera flying, also synergise well with its own typing where flying resist its previous weakness and the meta is lacking defender with stab hitting flying. This mon is becoming more influential to the meta and the real drawback of this mon is really base on how popular of encore is in the meta.

Annihilape to A
It is proved that bulky annihilape can also be fitted into HO style especially in webs, though 274 speed means a huge cut of its bulk, it is still capable to tank hits and revenge / sweeping thanks to faster bulk up and rage fist under webs, not to mention that it can counters kingambit with encore. Again it synergise with most other physical attacker and it is really only miraidon and koraidon (and chiyu under no webs) can consistently force ape out temporaily in EARLY STAGE. Once you let ape to set its rage fist count you are close to doom. it is a great rock setter with defog/spin denial ability and final gambit for rhythm. it is just good.

Koraidon to Top S
I think people who participated in ULT will recall how scary a koraidon is before knowing its set. Scarf koraidon with tera fire is nuclearic in its own right but as long as unaware are all disappearing thanks to koraidon's UT threat, All set up koraidon thrives during the ULT and people are tired to try to counter it. you may say miraidon is straight up unwallable but comparing to a potential taunt dd set koraidon which ruins all tusk/pex, or sd flare blitz evaporating physical defensive tusk with the help of only 1 spikes, or bulk up set which makes great tusk a complete set up bake ...
you just need an unaware to deal with it and you just Fking Cant because of how frequent chiyu/walking wake is team with koraidon. Miraidon can never do the same: people are already adapted the way of consistently counter a dd set of miraidon and specs miraidon will be worn down quickly by hazards as well and people has summarised a general rule of countering an unknown miraidon: preparing a sac which can take specs attack 2-3 times and was able to toxic/threating kill to miraidon, normally this is clodsire/iron treads. what is the general rule of countering koraidon beside bringing unaware? NONE.

Given how Koraidon is becoming so much scarier in the current meta and the supportive role it can play via sun, I would recommend koraidon to be the TOP S of the SV ubers pre-home.

i'd like to preface this by saying seasonal was a great experience and it was dope to play some vets in this tier. now that it's over i'd like to chime in on some nominations, but please excuse me if some of these takes are horrendously misinformed as i'm a casual and haven't followed much of this year's ubers winter league:

:miraidon:→ S+
this thing is a cut above the rest of the tier, including koraidon. specs & calm mind life orb sets have no defensive counter-play and will consistently put 2-3 kills down every game. heavy-duty boots pivot is another bogus set, especially on hazard stack comps, as miraidon can outlast all of its checks via spikes support and stay out of range vs shit like flutter mane late-game. i'm not a big fan of the double dance set as it can be a dead slot if you load into iron treads or clodsire; it's still one of the best win-cons in the tier however-- teams that rely on ting-lu as their sole miraidon answer get boned by it. i haven't used scarf, assault vest, and taunt sets enough to have an opinion on them, but i don't think any miraidon set can be "not broken." extremely dumb 'mon and should probably be banned once home drops

edit: this aged poorly, miraidon is fine to keep post-home kek

:kingambit:→ A-
very scary :0
great tusk is easy to chip with koraidon being cheap and a lot of them opting for rocky helmet. defensively kingambit is quite nice since it deals with sacred sword-less chien-pao and can switch into iron bundle or flutter mane once in a pinch. it can be difficult cleaning with kingambit considering how bulky koraidon and tera-fairy miraidon are, but it's still an overall solid 'mon that is better than its contemporaries in B+

:iron treads:→ B+
i think iron treads is pretty decent considering how broken miraidon is. like obviously it doesn't deal with overheat but it's still a great switch-in if you bring it in on a choice'd draco meteor or electro drift. iron treads also hard counters double dance sets which i like a lot. rapid spin support is clutch and knock off is pretty valuable in this metagame when you consider a lot of great tusk tend to drop it for play rough. iron treads also has some wider match-up coverage that i find to be very underrated. it checks flutter mane comfortably and hatterene rising in usage is dope since it's a stealth rock user than can threaten it. this is the set i use but assault vest is still cool because endeavor is quite threatening mid- to late-game after miraidon chips it down.

:iron hands:→ B-
assault vest is a set i've seen on a lot of teams i've been passed recently. iron hands blanket checks a lot of big threats such as iron bundle, kingambit, and chien-pao. it also forces a lot of high value trades vs shit like chi-yu, flutter mane, and even miraidon. offensively it is no slouch either as close combat / wild charge / earthquake / drain punch has few switch-ins in terrain. swords dance is probably a nice set too; i haven't used it enough to comment on though
:espathra:→ B+
the ostrich is broken. it's basically scovillain but actually consistent

:orthworm::cyclizar:→ C+
shed tail is broken

:grimmsnarl:→ B+
screens are broken

edit:
:toxapex:→ B+
way too passive and exploitable to be A-. 4mss too since it's pretty bad without baneful bunker imo. you need to drop either haze or toxic for it which is wack
thanks for reading. looking forward for grand slam :')

Last edited:

Taka

coastin' like crazy
agreeing with some of the noms by ppl above but here are the ones I want to emphasize:

:kingambit:→ A

incredibly dangerous late-game sweeper. tera fly sets have virtually no counterplay if ur koraidon gets chipped early game and you don't have encore bundle/shard pao/fairy miraidon. This mon also being a soft check to Bundle and Pao on offense is incredibly underrated, and most teams struggle to take an onslaught of both Kingambit and Koraidon throughout a game. Tera Blast Tera Fairy bulky sets are also really good, but a bit harder to use since Tusk can pressure them with Earthquake still. I don't think Kingambit is necessarily better than Flutter Mane, but I think its better than Skeledirge, Toxapex, and Corviknight for sure.

:walking-wake:→ B+

sun is very clearly the best playstyle at this point, and walking wake is not only a decent breaker on sun, but a soft-check to Chi-Yu, which is much appreciated when not running super fast sun teams. I don't think its comparable to the sheer power or defensive utility of anything in A-/A, but it is a solid mon that should see more use.

:iron hands:→ B-

i completely agree with vert here, AV iron hands can force trades with a large portion of the metagame off of its sheer bulk and typing, bulky swords dance sets are underrated but also solid, especially since they can wear down a lot of Miraidon/Iron Bundle checks by getting setup opportunities on things like Iron Treads/Corviknight/Ting-Lu/Kingambit.

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
VR Update time! Probably (hopefully) the last before home, so we did another full slate to cover all the noms in the thread as well as the rapidly changing meta we have here.

Rises:

:flutter-mane: Flutter Mane || A --> A+

:annihilape: Annihilape || B+ --> A-
:gothitelle: Gothitelle || B+ --> A-
:kingambit: Kingambit || B+ --> A

:espathra: Espathra || B --> B+
:grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl || B --> B+
:iron-treads: Iron Treads || B --> B+
:walking-wake: Walking Wake || B --> B+

:blissey: Blissey || B- --> B
:dragonite: Dragonite || B- --> B
:iron-moth: Iron Moth || B- --> B

:cyclizar: Cyclizar || C --> C+
:iron-hands: Iron Hands || C --> B-
:masquerain: Masquerain || C --> C+

:maushold: Maushold || UR --> C-
:orthworm: Orthworm || UR --> C+
:iron-leaves: Iron Leaves || UR --> C

Drops:

:palafin-hero: Palafin || B+ --> B

:pelipper: Pelipper || B --> B-

:roaring-moon: Roaring Moon || B- --> C+

:houndstone: Houndstone || C+ --> C

:dachsbun: Dachsbun || C --> C-
:floatzel: Floatzel || C --> UR
:hawlucha: Hawlucha || C --> C-
:pawmot: Pawmot || C --> C-
:scizor: Scizor || C --> C-
:slither-wing: Slither Wing || C --> C-

:slowking: Slowking || C- --> UR

If you have any questions about the changes feel free to ask here and we'll try to respond to as many as possible, but unless proven wrong again by game freak we're likely done taking nominations until the home metagame drops soon TM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)