Resource SV Short Questions and Short Answers

Few questions about the VR that just came out:

- Why is Hariyama considered an A+ level threat?

- Why is Cetitan above the Pokemon that often enables it in Abomasnow?

- Why is Passimian only C+? I've used it in RU and it performed quite well.

C0nfiden1 0yster

ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ
is a Pre-Contributor
RUPL Champion
Few questions about the VR that just came out:

- Why is Hariyama considered an A+ level threat?

- Why is Cetitan above the Pokemon that often enables it in Abomasnow?

- Why is Passimian only C+? I've used it in RU and it performed quite well.
Hariyama’s Belly Drum Tera Steel set with Bullet Punch is broken. At +6, Tauros-Fire is the only Pokémon that can take a tera steel bullet punch and can outspeed it. There is a very limited pool of pokemon that can take a +6 Tera Steel Bullet Punch and revenge, but with chip damage these answers can be put into range. Even pokemon like Sableye are bad into Yama because it can run Guts on these sets, making Wisp useless. Other sets like Bulk Up or even AV can also do good

Cetitan can use Belly Drum outside of hail and use Ice Shard

Passimian is kinda outclassed by Flamigo, Hera, Tauros, and Yama. However, lots of people recently looked closely at the knockturn combo and realizing Passimian is quite good. I’d expect it to rise in future updates

A couple of questions;

- How is Bombirdier's viability looking like after the rain abusers dropped? Any niche whatsoever?
- Is Mareanie viable in any way?
- Is Flamigo still the premiere, nº1 offensive threat? :)

A couple of questions;

- How is Bombirdier's viability looking like after the rain abusers dropped? Any niche whatsoever?
- Is Mareanie viable in any way?
- Is Flamigo still the premiere, nº1 offensive threat? :)
I think bombirdier has a better matchup against rain than it does against the rest of the metagame if you run sucker punch, though fitting it on a non-band moveset is hard. I think it's still pretty good despite falling to NU, but it really struggles with 4 moveslot syndrome.

Mareanie is not seriously viable, at best it is mediocre role compression on stall (haze makes it pseudo-crocalor with toxic or tspikes) on stall teams.

Flamigo is up for debate, Toxtricity is a more overwhelming breaker that can win games on its own, but it isn't nearly as versatile as Flamigo.

I want to build a team with Ghost Oricorio (most likely going with a simple QD set). What would be some good teammates for it?
Honestly Oricorio-Sensu is pretty self-sufficient in terms of its game plan. Common checks to Oricorio-Sensu are special walls, particularly ones that can remove or ignore Quiver Dance boosts, especially if they can use their own Tera to ignore Oricorio's Tera (typically Fighting or Ground) :
:blissey: :copperajah: :cryogonal: :klefki: :revavroom:
Just looking at a few of these example checks, Fighting-types like Tauros-Paldea (Aqua and Blaze), Flamigo, and Passimian are great at making progress against these Pokemon, as they're typically physically frail or weak to Fighting. Other physical attackers like Krookodile, Cetitan, Weavile, and Mudsdale are also all great teammates for various reasons besides threatening common Sensu checks.

Does Palossand still have major use after the ban of Toxtricity? A big selling point was that it straight up countered that thing if it didn't run Snarl.

That being said, the good physical bulk combined with not being too too passive, the ability to spinblock (even if it does terrible against Cryogonal and Tatsugiri, the best spinners, without Tera) and access to reliable recovery are still huge points in its favor.

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
Does Palossand still have major use after the ban of Toxtricity? A big selling point was that it straight up countered that thing if it didn't run Snarl.

That being said, the good physical bulk combined with not being too too passive, the ability to spinblock (even if it does terrible against Cryogonal and Tatsugiri, the best spinners, without Tera) and access to reliable recovery are still huge points in its favor.
It still has utlity as a scarf Flamigo check, as it's able to tank any hit and chip it with recoil + rocky helmet damage. I also find it nice when used with sludge bomb, as it allows for a less passive move that also limits switchins from mons like Arboliva and Brute Bonnet. All in all, I still like using it, but I'm not sure where its viability will stand if Flamigo ends up getting banned.

Yourwelcomethanku

._.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
Nothing might be most accurate answer... at least to all three
what is a good check/counter to the ice type setup sweepers? (cloyster, cetitan, frosmoth)

Cryogonal can survive a +6 Ice Spinner with the Defense boost from hail and Haze away Cetitan's Belly Drum. You can also make sure that if Tera Ghost Frosmoth beats you, it's only with just one boost, which lets a scarfer outspeed and revenge kill it. I think Cryogonal beats Tera Ground Frosmoth, not sure. Gardevoir with a Tera type that resists Ice Shard can check Cetitan, and Scarf Gardevoir can thwart Frosmoth at least once with Trick. Avalugg and Crocalor are the best Cetitan checks (in terms of checking Cetitan, they're overall niche). Bronzong can straight up own hail teams with a set of Iron Defense, Calm Mind, Body Press, and Stored Power. Tera types like Bug that resist Ground on Steel-types like Revavroom and Copperajah can help check Frosmoth. Choice Scarf Salazzle can outpace and check all three Pokemon, tho against Frosmoth your best option may be to Toxic or Encore. Ditto checks Cetitan and Cloyster, and probably Frosmoth to a decent extent. Cloyster is kinda tricky because it has the hardest time setting up, but once it does, it can plow through just about anything. But if it does set up you may be able to check it by Terastallizing your Mudsdale or Slowbro (to avoid +2 Tera Blast Ghost). Steel-types can also check but you should be cautious of +2 Drill Run

How do you deal with Kilowattrel? It does so much damage and is so fast, plus it has access to roost, making it very difficult for me to figure out how to deal with it. For example, here is a team courtesy of eifo I am currently using: https://pokepast.es/a8207f0c216c2b46. How does it stop Kilowattrel from doing its thing?

I'm wondering what's keeping Komala hanging by a thread on the VR. Other than a slow U-turn and decent Mismagius matchup I'm struggling to find out what it does that the other hazard removers don't already do.

What are good defensive core partners for this slowbro set?

1694103615718.png

Slowbro @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Iron Defense
- Surf
- Body Press
- Slack Off

What are good defensive core partners for this slowbro set?

View attachment 549219
Slowbro @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Iron Defense
- Surf
- Body Press
- Slack Off
Slowbro pairs well with mons that can withstand Dark and grass moves. Wo chien, Mudsdale, overquill, Decidueye-H are all valid options for it.

To not make this a one liner, I wanna ask when are we allowed to discuss updated mons with the dlc, because we got some interesting moveset changes that make some pokemon much better compared to the current meta (and some are definitely taken by higher tiers, but that's another discussion XD)

How do I use Toxicroak?
It depends on what type of team you want it to belong. The most standard set usually looks like this:

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat/Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off/ Gunk Shot

Keep in mind that the tier has more consistent options for fighting types like Lucario, Gallade, Pawmot, etc. Toxicroak fits better on teams who have problems with bulky waters like Vaporeon or want a better rain matchup (somewhat)

Also on the topic of Toxicroak, in the earlier viability rank it was A-, while in the post DLC ranking it's considered 'low' - is there any particular reason for the shift or is it just "there's new stuff that can do it's job better".

If it's the latter, are there any good jobs for a toxicroak? Its access to toxic interests me.

What would be some good teammates for Specs Hisuian Typhlosion?
You want a rapid spinner to keep rocks off for it, probably tsareena since that has good type synergy with typhlosion. For other teammates, think about what pokemon are easiest to switch typhlosion in on, stuff like forretress and slither wing, and add stuff that invites those in. So you run umbreon to get them to switch slither wing in, then switch into hyphlosion on the slither wing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)