Resource SV RU Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
:sv/ursaring:
This bear deserves to be on the VR. I get that it’s kinda slow, but it still wallbreaks and forces trades very well. You don’t even need a Swords Dance boost; Guts-boosted Facade just explodes Steel-types and assorted physical walls.
252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 60 HP / 180 Def Copperajah: 203-239 (50.7 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Klefki: 204-240 (64.1 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Bronzong: 148-175 (43.7 - 51.7%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Bronzong: 200-236 (59.1 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Revavroom: 204-241 (56 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mudsdale: 271-319 (67 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Dead. They’re all dead. No need to predict, just click Facade. Even physically defensive walls with immunities/resistances (i.e. Palossand and Naclstack) can die with a little bit of prediction. Hitting Naclstack with Earthquake on the switch means it will have to Tera to escape death:
252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Naclstack: 172-204 (53.2 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
and only Ghost Tera avoids a 2HKO later. Similarly, EQ into Ghost Tera Shadow Claw kills Palossand always.
252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Palossand: 121-143 (32.3 - 38.2%) -- 45.7% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Guts Tera Ghost Ursaring Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Palossand: 254-302 (67.9 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Palossand has 374 HP (minimum 121 with EQ + minimum 254 with Ghost Tera Shadow Claw = 375.
Unlike Naclstack, Teraing is futile because Palossand doesnt seriously threaten you back and Water Tera, for example, takes 68% minimum from Facade. So, if you get called out on the switch, you’re forced to sacrifice something.

Anyways, the calcs are well and good, but I’m not just theorymonning. I spammed an Ursaring-Garde team on ladder and peaked at #9 with it. Here are some replays: I just used Protect + 3 Attacks and Ursaring was usually good for 2+ kills per game. It was really good at paving the way for Garde, but you could easily pair it with another cleaner that appreciates its powerful wallbreaking (like Scarf Heracross or Scarf Krookodile). It’s not a perfect mon — it’s slow and will only get 1-2 opportunities to do its job —but it seems better than most of the stuff in the mid-low B’s and it is, at the very least, viable.

Last edited:
gonna throw my hat into the ring

:delphox: -> A/A+

Fire/Psychic is an underrated type combination with good coverage that prevents pokemon like Mudsdale and Krookodile from switching in, and being a generally fantastic revenge killer. Delphox has a great speed stat that allows it to outspeed every pokemon in the tier without a + nature, when paired with its special attack stat of 114, it has more natural special attack then Garde, which typically needs max investment to counter pokemon like Weavile. (and we know how good Gardevoir was.) Checking the top pokemon at the moment, the majority of them are weak to fire/psychic with grass knot. While Delphox isn't a good pokemon for switching in, its bulk is passable, 75/72/100 is by no means terrible. On top of resisting many types, like able to switch in on Weavile's icicle crash and KO it with flamethrower
:grafaiai: :passimian: :salazzle: Psychic
:klefki: :revavroom: :weavile: Fire
:mudsdale: :krookodile: :barraskewda: Grass
Just a few examples.
252+ SpA Delphox Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Palossand: 330-390 (88.2 - 104.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Delphox Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong: 192-228 (56.8 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

ect ect ect. Ground types can't easily switch into this, especially with Tera being a thing.

I primarily use the following set:

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot
- Overheat / Shadow Ball

sorry if this is formatted weird, first time doing this

Ampha

"They don’t call me Greed for nothing!"
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
VR Update time!

:articuno: -> B-
:brambleghast: -> A-
:delphox: -> A+
:Floatzel:-> B
:houndstone:-> C+
:hoopa: -> B
:inteleon:-> A-
:kilowattrel: -> A+
:mesprit: ->B
:orthworm: -> B+
:tauros-paldea-aqua: -> S
:tornadus: -> A

:bellibolt: B+ -> A-
:dragalge: B+ -> A-
:oricorio: B+ -> A
:sylveon: B+ -> A-
:vaporeon: B+ -> A-
:goodra: B -> B+
:naclstack: B -> B+
:qwilfish: B -> B+
:umbreon: B -> B+
:coalossal: B- -> B
:golduck: C+ -> B-
:qwilfish-hisui: C+ -> B-
:dudunsparce: C -> C+
:houndoom: UR -> B-

Drops:
:grafaiai: A+ -> A
:klefki: A+ -> A
:weavile: A+ -> A
:brute-bonnet: A -> A-
:cloyster: A -> B+
:heracross: A -> A-
:iron-thorns: A -> B
:passimian: A -> A-
:rotom-mow: A -> A-
:tauros-paldea-blaze: A -> A-
:toxicroak: A -> A-
:abomasnow: A- -> B+
:altaria: A- -> B+
:arcanine: A- -> B+
:cetitan: A- -> B
:primeape: A- -> B+
:tatsugiri: A- -> B+
:toedscruel: A- -> B+
:tsareena: A- -> B+
:zoroark: A- -> B+
:arboliva: B+ -> B-
:blissey: B+ -> B
:cryogonal: B+ -> B
:grimmsnarl: B+ -> B-
:palossand: B+ -> B-
:samurott: B+ -> B
:sneasel-hisui: B+ -> B
:venomoth: B+ -> B
:appletun: B -> B-
:frosmoth: B -> C+
:sableye: B -> B-
:whiscash: B -> B-
:braviary: B- -> C+
:froslass: B- -> C+
:magneton: B- -> C+
:medicham: B- -> C+
:typhlosion: C+ -> C
:clawitzer: C -> UR
:drifblim: C -> UR
:mabosstiff: C -> UR
:scovillain: C -> UR

We won't be doing reasonings this time but in case you have any questions, we would gladly answer them in here or #vr-discussion on RU server! :psyglad:

Inteleon finatic here. Where does he fit in the meta?

I know it haves the Specs with U Turn set which is like Special Barasskewda but its pivot can't be Water Absorbed.

I think they should ban Shell Smash on Cloyster too broken for the tier.
While cloyster can be a very threatening sweeper if your team can't handle it, it would be wrong to say that it has absolutely no counters. While it may be cause I (used to) use a very anti-cloyster team, you can play around the 3 main types of cloysters. If they're HVD, you can hit them on the turn they set up/ use haze on like a revavaroom/vaporeon. if they are white herb you can use a grafaiai parting shot or again, a haze from a vaporeon. And you should be running hazards in some form, so focus sash dies then. And even then, if you resist icicle spear/ are bulky enough, usually you survive it and can revenge kill it. And unboosted cloyster kinda sucks too, so it's not gonna be too much of a threat then

What might make this harder though is the influx of new HO tools. Since it's so much harder to counter everything in the tier now, cloyster counters are going to not be as prevalent. But to say that it's completely broken is wrong. Yeah it can 6-0 you, but you can take proactive measures to make it's life hard. For instance, a special attack by mostly anything will decimate cloyster. and it's 180 def might seem scary in the builder but like... it has 50 hp. It takes heavy damage from rocks too, which it can't heal back. There can be plenty of counters to it, you just need to consider it when making your team, and if you notice you lose to it consistently, then see what changes you can do to your team to make the match-up more favorable. And besides, cloyster has been in RU for like, months now. If it was broken people would at least of brought it up, especially the ru council.

However, I bring back up the point about building being harder now. With lots of new threats like Gyarados (please quick ban this thing, nothing useful outspeeds it unboosted), slither wings, and the many new unbans, cloyster might be broken now with it's counters and checks being spread thin due to them being less useful/ new toy syndrome bringing away attention from them. With all of the sun teams running around I haven't seen a cloyster, so it's gonna have to take some time to see how it's faring. But it should be pointed out that cloyster is not an unstoppable force, just a strong threat when it sets up. It's no gyarados or pre-ban oricorio-pom-pom, just more akin to a more volatile revarevavaroom.

Also this may be too late to mention, but bans on moves usually don't happen unless the move is the issue. You don't see shell smash torkal sweeping teams. shell smash ain't no last respects, and even if it's the best set-up move, it doesn't benefit much from tera; cloyster going tera ground ain't gonna stop it from being OHKO'd by a florges moonblast (unboosted btw)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)