Project SV OU - Victim of the Week (Week 50: Choice Band Dragapult) [VOTING]

Picking Ttar here would require me to send ttar out on the battlefield. So, my vote has to go to Bulky Moon
That was pretty brutal :sphearical:

I guess Ttar sucking so much in current meta is making people hesitant choosing it as Chi-Yu check, regardless of how 'safe' it is. Niche can only get it so far.

That was pretty brutal :sphearical:

I guess Ttar sucking so much in current meta is making people hesitant choosing it as Chi-Yu check, regardless of how 'safe' it is. Niche can only get it so far.
Having been thrashed by defensive Roaring Moon in at least one OU game, I was about to vote for it until I found this calc:

252 SpA Choice Specs Beads of Ruin Tera Fire Chi-Yu Fire Blast vs. 40 HP / 248+ SpD Roaring Moon: 176-208 (48.7 - 57.6%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO

Yeah, Tyranitar's weaknesses being plentiful and very exposed have caused me to be leery about it since I started playing on Showdown in Gen 7. But I can't even rely on Roaring Moon to be a counter to that Specs Chi-Yu these days!

Having been thrashed by defensive Roaring Moon in at least one OU game, I was about to vote for it until I found this calc:

252 SpA Choice Specs Beads of Ruin Tera Fire Chi-Yu Fire Blast vs. 40 HP / 248+ SpD Roaring Moon: 176-208 (48.7 - 57.6%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO

Yeah, Tyranitar's weaknesses being plentiful and very exposed have caused me to be leery about it since I started playing on Showdown in Gen 7. But I can't even rely on Roaring Moon to be a counter to that Specs Chi-Yu these days!
Do remember that Roaring Moon outspeeds with this set and can roost to avoid the 2HKO while Chi-Yu can miss or low roll. EQ also kills after Spikes/SR.

Do remember that Roaring Moon outspeeds with this set and can roost to avoid the 2HKO while Chi-Yu can miss or low roll. EQ also kills after Spikes/SR.
Shady OHKO chances after the nastiest Chi-Yu Tera are why I didn't vote for Booster Energy Iron Valiant either. I'd have voted for Azumarill if it were actually Tera Water, even though I'd have to bust Tera for it.

Just to be clear; in previous VotW's, we voted for one counter and one (or more) checks. Are we only voting for one overall now?

imo the RM set doesn't really fit the description as a true counter unless you fully commit to roosting every time on the switch. If you're ever in a position where you can't commit to staying in on a switch for the roost, then it struggles to switch in for the rest of the game. We aren't even considering hazards.

Not saying its an unset, lord knows we have few enough mons that can switch into chi yu anyway, but still. Should've been posted as a check rather than a counter.

So :Tyranitar:

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
Congratulations to Mugenman88 for winning this week of Victim of the Week!

To clear up, voting may occur separately for checks and counters if there is a decent amount submitted each, the first week only 1 counter was submitted, therefore the voting was merged, this week was the same just for convienience, however from hereon, if there are enough submissions for separate voting, then that shall occur and I will let you all know once voting for that week goes up.

This week, our Victim shall be...
:ss/great-tusk:
Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin

Great Tusk has made itself known in the first month of this generation, with it's high attack, great stab moves, great typing and decent coverage. Booster Energy turns it's high attack, into a wallbreaking sensation, with access to Rapid Spin to not only clear hazards, but increase it's already decent speed.

How will you punish this Victim? Submissions end Friday!​

Chi-Yu @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Beads of Ruin
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Nasty Plot

252 SpA Beads of Ruin Chi-Yu Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 481-567 (129.6 - 152.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Beads of Ruin Chi-Yu Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 333-393 (89.7 - 105.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Beads of Ruin Chi-Yu Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 444-524 (119.6 - 141.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(can also switch into knock off in a pinch)

it is a great check as it can come in on a free switch and absolutely nuke great tusk with overheat, flamethrower even after ~10% chip

Last edited:
Submitting Garganacl as a Check
:sv/garganacl:
Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Salt Cure
- Recover

Just tera fairy and ID on turn 1 against Tusk and it becomes setup fodder barring a crit

252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Fairy Garganacl: 153-181 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Fairy Garganacl: 76-91 (18.8 - 22.5%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Def Tera Fairy Garganacl Body Press vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Great Tusk: 228-269 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Dondozo @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Grass
Impish Nature
- Wave Crash
- Body Press
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Doesn't like having its Leftovers knocked off (especially if it runs Wave Crash), but aside from that Dozo is only 3HKO'd by its STABs while it 2HKOs back with Wave Crash, all while having the ability to Rest any damage off. You can Tera into a Grass type to reduce the damage received by Headlong Rush.

252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 168-198 (33.3 - 39.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Grass Dondozo: 84-99 (16.6 - 19.6%) -- guaranteed 6HKO
0 Atk Dondozo Wave Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Great Tusk: 204-242 (54.9 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
:ss/talonflame:

Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Flying / Ground / Grass
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower / Defog
- Air Slash / Defog
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Talonflame counters all common Great Tusk sets, though you can sometimes get outplayed on roost, which you fortunately don't have to click the first time you switch into it. Tera Flying prevents that from ever happening, allowing you to roost off damage without losing your flying-type. EVs are for outspeeding Pawmot and Iron Treads. Alternatively, you can run just enough speed to outspeed max speed Jolly Annihilape, or little to no speed so that you get outsped by offensive Great Tusk, which turns Talonflame into a potentially more reliable counter.

0 SpA Talonflame Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 210-248 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 160 Def Talonflame: 138-164 (38.4 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 160 Def Talonflame: 149-177 (41.5 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Brambleghast @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Wind Rider
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Night Shade
- Strength Sap
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes

Submitting this above Brambleghast set as a CHECK. (Counter to many sets but this set has booster energy so it will OHKO with knock off)

Brambleghast lives a knock off after strength sap, and can set up spikes and spam strength sap and night shade. It could also spin away GT’s hazards.

Check

:SV/Iron Moth:
Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Grass / Electric
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Energy Ball / Discharge
- Agility

Due to Great Tusk having access to Rapid Spin, barely avoiding the OHKO when you're unable to OHKO back will not do. You need to OHKO, and you need to OHKO now. Typical Modest Agility Iron Moth already outspeeds Great Tusk while needing no item or speed boosts in order to do so. It needs the Booster Energy in order to OHKO with Fire attacks, though. If Great Tusk Tera Steels, it's screwed:

252+ SpA Quark Drive Iron Moth Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 366-432 (98.6 - 116.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Quark Drive Iron Moth Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 447-526 (120.4 - 141.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Quark Drive Iron Moth Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 488-576 (131.5 - 155.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Moth: 1552-1828 (515.6 - 607.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO)

Due to Fire Blast's vaguely shot 85% accuracy, Flamethrower actually has the higher chance to OHKO Great Tusk.

I've personally tried Fiery Dance on offensive Boots Iron Moth, and oh man is it weak, and oh man are the only times it ever procs are when it hits Fire resists. ...And oh man do I need to press it by default instead of Sludge Wave.

Don't bother going Tera Grass/Electric on Iron Moth; Booster Energy Great Tusk's Close Combat proceeds to OHKO it.

Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Flying
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

it is able to switch onto 3/4 of its moves and is able to KO it after rocks damage. Tera flying can be used if its balloon is popped. With tera flying it can just tera on it to take minimal damage and just return the KO on it with make it rain

252+ SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 361-426 (97.3 - 114.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 290-342 (76.7 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
The calcs are inconsistent with Gholdengo's EVs in its importable set, to the point that I don't know which set of EVs is the correct one.

Last edited:
Check

:SV/Volcarona:
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance / Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Morning Sun

Man, did we at Smogon engineer such a Gen 9 Bulkarona set. This outspeeds Jolly Great Tusk by exactly 1 point and pulls off the 2HKO with only Fire attacks while Great Tusk cannot OHKO back - and if Great Tusk Tera Steels, it's screwed:

0 SpA Volcarona Fiery Dance vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 184-217 (49.5 - 58.4%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Volcarona Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 207-244 (55.7 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 230-272 (61.9 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 248 HP / 108 Def Volcarona: 313-369 (83.9 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The calcs are inconsistent with Gholdengo's EVs in its importable set, to the point that I don't know which set of EVs is the correct one.
oh right... it just defaulted to the wrong one and forgot to change it

oh right... it just defaulted to the wrong one and forgot to change it
That reminds me - I'll have to change my submission to a different mon because it turns out that Great Tusk still beats Bulkarona with Rapid Spin into Headlong Rush.

I like the max. HP, max. SpA Modest Gholdengo version better against this Great Tusk since it dodges the Booster Energy Knock Off OHKO. It also dodges the OHKO from Scarf Gholdengo Shadow Ball and guaranteed OHKOs back with its own Shadow Ball without needing to boost. I could have sworn max. HP was the default on the related Specs Gholdengo anyway.

Last edited:
Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Poison / Fairy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Close Combat
- Psyshock

I would say that Iron Valiant is a good check for Great Tusk. It can easily switch in on all of its moves, outspeed, and easily OHKO Great Tusk. This is why it is only a check, not a counter. Unfortunately, it takes ALOT of damage from Headlong Rush, but fortunately, Great Tusk gets NO form of priority.

252 Atk Ground Gem Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Iron Valiant: 279-328 (96.5 - 113.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 486-572 (130.9 - 154.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Was gonna do defensive Dragonite because it's fun, but I'll drop in Peligod instead.

:pelipper:
Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

It takes very little damage and can easily roost it off. The only annoying thing is losing Damp Rock for late-game, but hopefully an 8 turn rain + 5 turn rain is enough to break through. It easily OHKOs with Surf or Hurricane, and Surf is a 2HKO after Tera too, but it can also slow U-turn into a rain sweeper which obviously threatens Tusk as well and will usually outspeed it even after a Rapid Spin if they went for that.

With Booster Energy
252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 132+ Def Pelipper: 102-121 (31.5 - 37.4%) -- 88.9% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 132+ Def Pelipper: 111-131 (34.3 - 40.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Without Booster Energy
252 Atk Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 132+ Def Pelipper: 85-101 (26.3 - 31.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 132+ Def Pelipper: 79-93 (24.4 - 28.7%) -- 99.7% chance to 4HKO
Return Damage
0 SpA Pelipper Surf vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk in Rain: 458-542 (123.4 - 146%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Pelipper Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 374-444 (100.8 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You can run full PhysDef as well to take slightly less, but this covers some other things as well. Specs Peli is fun too, but obviously takes a bit more damage.

Physically defensive Avalugg is a counter to Great Tusk.

Avalugg @ Leftovers / Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Fairy / Grass / Flying
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin / Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Avalanche
- Recover

Avalugg is a very passive mon that typically only fits on fat or stall teams. However, it can serve as a switch-in to Tusk and other physical breakers. Once Avalugg terastallizes, it counters most Tusk sets. It can Rapid Spin away hazards set by Tusk, or opt to Iron Defense alongside Tusks's bulk-ups. Avalanche hits Tusk back with 360 BP (120 BP + supereffective + STAB), while Body Press takes advantage of Avalugg's ridiculous defense stat.

252 Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Fairy Avalugg: 91-108 (23 - 27.4%) -- 58.3% chance to 4HKO
0 Atk Tera Fairy Avalugg Avalanche vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 176-210 (40.5 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

However, Avalugg is not a perfect counter. In the worst case scenario of switching into a tera Ground banded Great Tusk using Headlong Rush (or tera Fighting banded Great Tusk using Close Combat if you are running Tera Grass Avalugg),

252 Atk Choice Band Tera Ground Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Fairy Avalugg: 182-216 (46.1 - 54.8%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO

Avalugg can be 2HKO'd by banded, tera'd Tusk's headlong rush. Thus, it would be wise to run Avalugg alongside any ground immune Pokémon. You could also experiment with Tera Flying, which resists both Great Tusk's STABs, but you need either strong hazard control or Heavy Duty Boots over Leftovers for a Tera Flying set.

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
Voting is up! Ends Sunday!

Check
Chi-Yu @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Beads of Ruin
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Nasty Plot

252 SpA Beads of Ruin Chi-Yu Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 481-567 (129.6 - 152.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Beads of Ruin Chi-Yu Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 333-393 (89.7 - 105.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Beads of Ruin Chi-Yu Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 444-524 (119.6 - 141.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(can also switch into knock off in a pinch)

it is a great check as it can come in on a free switch and absolutely nuke great tusk with overheat, flamethrower even after ~10% chip
Submitting Garganacl as a Check
:sv/garganacl:
Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Fairy
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Salt Cure
- Recover

Just tera fairy and ID on turn 1 against Tusk and it becomes setup fodder barring a crit

252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Fairy Garganacl: 153-181 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Fairy Garganacl: 76-91 (18.8 - 22.5%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Def Tera Fairy Garganacl Body Press vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Great Tusk: 228-269 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Brambleghast @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Wind Rider
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Night Shade
- Strength Sap
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes

Submitting this above Brambleghast set as a CHECK. (Counter to many sets but this set has booster energy so it will OHKO with knock off)

Brambleghast lives a knock off after strength sap, and can set up spikes and spam strength sap and night shade. It could also spin away GT’s hazards.
Check

:SV/Iron Moth:
Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Grass / Electric
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Energy Ball / Discharge
- Agility

Due to Great Tusk having access to Rapid Spin, barely avoiding the OHKO when you're unable to OHKO back will not do. You need to OHKO, and you need to OHKO now. Typical Modest Agility Iron Moth already outspeeds Great Tusk while needing no item or speed boosts in order to do so. It needs the Booster Energy in order to OHKO with Fire attacks, though. If Great Tusk Tera Steels, it's screwed:

252+ SpA Quark Drive Iron Moth Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 366-432 (98.6 - 116.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Quark Drive Iron Moth Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 447-526 (120.4 - 141.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Quark Drive Iron Moth Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 488-576 (131.5 - 155.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Moth: 1552-1828 (515.6 - 607.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO)

Due to Fire Blast's vaguely shot 85% accuracy, Flamethrower actually has the higher chance to OHKO Great Tusk.

I've personally tried Fiery Dance on offensive Boots Iron Moth, and oh man is it weak, and oh man are the only times it ever procs are when it hits Fire resists. ...And oh man do I need to press it by default instead of Sludge Wave.

Don't bother going Tera Grass/Electric on Iron Moth; Booster Energy Great Tusk's Close Combat proceeds to OHKO it.

Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Poison / Fairy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Close Combat
- Psyshock

I would say that Iron Valiant is a good check for Great Tusk. It can easily switch in on all of its moves, outspeed, and easily OHKO Great Tusk. This is why it is only a check, not a counter. Unfortunately, it takes ALOT of damage from Headlong Rush, but fortunately, Great Tusk gets NO form of priority.

252 Atk Ground Gem Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Iron Valiant: 279-328 (96.5 - 113.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 486-572 (130.9 - 154.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Counters

Dondozo @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Impish Nature
- Wave Crash
- Body Press
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Doesn't like having its Leftovers knocked off (especially if it runs Wave Crash), but aside from that Dozo is only 3HKO'd by its STABs while it 2HKOs back with Wave Crash, all while having the ability to Rest any damage off. You can Tera into a Grass type to reduce the damage received by Headlong Rush.

252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 168-198 (33.3 - 39.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Grass Dondozo: 84-99 (16.6 - 19.6%) -- guaranteed 6HKO
0 Atk Dondozo Wave Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Great Tusk: 204-242 (54.9 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:ss/talonflame:

Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Flying / Ground / Grass
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower / Defog
- Air Slash / Defog
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Talonflame counters all common Great Tusk sets, though you can sometimes get outplayed on roost, which you fortunately don't have to click the first time you switch into it. Tera Flying prevents that from ever happening, allowing you to roost off damage without losing your flying-type. EVs are for outspeeding Pawmot and Iron Treads. Alternatively, you can run just enough speed to outspeed max speed Jolly Annihilape, or little to no speed so that you get outsped by offensive Great Tusk, which turns Talonflame into a potentially more reliable counter.

0 SpA Talonflame Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 210-248 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 160 Def Talonflame: 138-164 (38.4 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 160 Def Talonflame: 149-177 (41.5 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Was gonna do defensive Dragonite because it's fun, but I'll drop in Peligod instead.

:pelipper:
Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

It takes very little damage and can easily roost it off. The only annoying thing is losing Damp Rock for late-game, but hopefully an 8 turn rain + 5 turn rain is enough to break through. It easily OHKOs with Surf or Hurricane, and Surf is a 2HKO after Tera too, but it can also slow U-turn into a rain sweeper which obviously threatens Tusk as well and will usually outspeed it even after a Rapid Spin if they went for that.

With Booster Energy
252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 132+ Def Pelipper: 102-121 (31.5 - 37.4%) -- 88.9% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 132+ Def Pelipper: 111-131 (34.3 - 40.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Without Booster Energy
252 Atk Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 132+ Def Pelipper: 85-101 (26.3 - 31.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 132+ Def Pelipper: 79-93 (24.4 - 28.7%) -- 99.7% chance to 4HKO
Return Damage
0 SpA Pelipper Surf vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk in Rain: 458-542 (123.4 - 146%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Pelipper Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 374-444 (100.8 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You can run full PhysDef as well to take slightly less, but this covers some other things as well. Specs Peli is fun too, but obviously takes a bit more damage.
Physically defensive Avalugg is a counter to Great Tusk.

Avalugg @ Leftovers / Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Fairy / Grass / Flying
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin / Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Avalanche
- Recover

Avalugg is a very passive mon that typically only fits on fat or stall teams. However, it can serve as a switch-in to Tusk and other physical breakers. Once Avalugg terastallizes, it counters most Tusk sets. It can Rapid Spin away hazards set by Tusk, or opt to Iron Defense alongside Tusks's bulk-ups. Avalanche hits Tusk back with 360 BP (120 BP + supereffective + STAB), while Body Press takes advantage of Avalugg's ridiculous defense stat.

252 Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Fairy Avalugg: 91-108 (23 - 27.4%) -- 58.3% chance to 4HKO
0 Atk Tera Fairy Avalugg Avalanche vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 176-210 (40.5 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

However, Avalugg is not a perfect counter. In the worst case scenario of switching into a tera Ground banded Great Tusk using Headlong Rush (or tera Fighting banded Great Tusk using Close Combat if you are running Tera Grass Avalugg),

252 Atk Choice Band Tera Ground Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Fairy Avalugg: 182-216 (46.1 - 54.8%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO

Avalugg can be 2HKO'd by banded, tera'd Tusk's headlong rush. Thus, it would be wise to run Avalugg alongside any ground immune Pokémon. You could also experiment with Tera Flying, which resists both Great Tusk's STABs, but you need either strong hazard control or Heavy Duty Boots over Leftovers for a Tera Flying set.
View attachment 481232
Amoonguss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog
- Spore

tera flying makes amoonguss immune to a rather threatening headlong rush from great tusk in a metagame that lacks ground resists. if great tusk uses headlong rush on the switch-in, terastallize into flying and use spore, making amoonguss a counter. grass knot also has a chance to ohko.

0 SpA Tera Flying Amoonguss Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 372-440 (85.9 - 101.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

:talonflame: is cool imo.

Side-note: don't like this 'reserving' mons and then not even posting them. Reserving in general feels wack tbh.

check: so consideirng everything... brambleghast is indeed a check but it just gets knocked off and cc'ed if it tera normal, if it was smth like tera flying it was prob better. Garg has to tera but it is indeed a check. Iron valiant loses to a tera steel easily especially since it isnt tera flying and cannot take a hit in returnto scout. :Iron moth: is my check of choice as it can kill it after rocks regardless if it tera's or not.

Counter: Talonflame sure can counter it without rocks but that flies out the window with rocks up as one knock off makes it so dead. Avalugg has to tera but indeed it is pretty solid. And amoonguss cannot successfully check it actually... headlong rush does 58.3 - 68.7% with rocks up means it is as 29.2% best case scenario, it is as 41.7% at best case scenario and 31.3% at worse case scenario meaning that a close combat has a pretty good shot at killing it next, so it is not the counter im choosing. pelliper is not the best counter as it cannot switch into a knock off -> cc with rocks up. :dondozo: is able to counter it well... even tho it gets rest loop it can constantly rest off the damage and wave crash does a solid amount of damage meaning it can easily roll wave crash twice and just kill it...

For a check I'd go with :iron-moth:, despite its 4x ground weakness since it can simply exploit Tusk's weak Special Defense. Even if Tusk switches there isn't much that's gonna like having to eat a STAB fire move or a Tera Grass Energy Ball

Assuming I can't vote for myself I'm going to vote :talonflame: as my counter. It's funny and catches things off guard. Never thought I'd see Talonflame be usable in OU again, let alone with Flame Body

As a check Booster Energy Iron Valiant survives scarf headlong rush and ohkos back with moonblast so if given a free switch at 100% it'll definitely win. And if Tusk tries to tera poison or steel Val can kill after with a super effective move.

1673136073319.png
definitely hard counters Tusk with it's insane base stats and beats it 1v1 with STAB wave crash. Pelipper is also a great check but you would usually want to keep your damp rock / hdb to help your team so getting knocked off isn't usuallya good option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)