Project SV OU Teambuilding Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels a bit weird to vote when you made one, but sure: B>C>D (not voting for myself of course).

Feel like B had some decent thought put into it, though the lack of speed would make things like Valiant really tough to deal with. Don't think the Hex Chi-Yu + TSpikes of C is the optimal way to use it. And D feels like it wants to be two different archetypes mashed together, not being great at either.

Week 2 Building phase is now over!

:sv/chi-yu:

Here are the submissions!

Team A
by Vastus

Team B by Hatternity

Team C by Aomori

Team D by lolgod3

The voting system used is the Ranked Pairs format. To vote you have to order your options like this: C>B>A>D, like this A>B=C>D, or like this D>C, assuming there are 4 team options (A, B, C, and D). If you choose not to vote for all teams, the last team(s) will be assumed to be last and valued equally if more than one got left out. Please send any questions you might have to my DMs!

You have 4 days to vote!
:chi-yu: Deadline is Tuesday, January 3rd! :chi-yu:
Reminder: you can't include your own team in the string of votes.
C > B > A > D

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
Week 2 is over! Congratulations to Hatternity for winning this round. Your team will be added to the archive shortly.
1672892626272.png
apologies for the delay in ending the voting round, was waiting for enough votes for fair results.

WEEK 3: Cinderace
:sv/cinderace:
With Cinderace dropping less than a week ago, there's a lot left to be explored. Currently, the popular sets include; Utility Boots with court change and/or wisp, AOA Boots, and Choice Band. While these are the most popular, there is still a lot of testing to be done. Cinderace is incredibly flexible due to its large movepool and can fine-tune itself to fit a lot of structures. For this reason, There are a lot of different approaches you can take with Cinderace, and its going to be cool to see what everybody can come up with as there's still a lot to be tested move and team structure wise.

:cinderace: You have until Monday, the 9th of January to post your teams :cinderace:
this may be extended depending on the number of submissions, though the rounds are now shorter.​

:Cinderace: :Meowscarada: :Gholdengo: :Corviknight: :Garganacl::Toxapex:
https://pokepast.es/01e5eeac81e7317b

Cinderace can lure many big threats in such as Dodonzo, Garganacl, Garchomp, and Great Tusk, and either cripple them with Will-O-Wisp or U-Turn out into an appropriate response. Meowscarada is a fun partner for Cinderance, as it is quite good at offensively pressuring some of Cinderaces checks like Dozo, Garganacl, and Rotom-W and benefits from the chip damage that Cinderace will be doing with burns and U-Turn. Against its counters like Corviknight, it can U-Turn out back into Cinderace to pressure them. Gholdengo is a very strong partner due to its good matchup against Garganacl and Toxapex, on top of its ability to to threaten big damage vs other troublesome Pokemon such as Glimmora and Hatterene. Bulk Up Corviknight is a wincon that can greatly benefit from the burns that Cinderace will be spreading to better 1v1 threats such as Dragonite & Great Tusk and can help pivot into some of Cinderace's common responses like Garchomp. Its ability to clear the field of hazards will be an immense benefit to the rest of the team which does not run Heavy Duty Boots. Garganacl is quite good at pressuring Waters and setting up rocks, which can help Meowscarada pick up some KOes against key targets w/ Flower Trick. It also grants a decent buffer against Chi-Yu which is quite important. Toxapex is a good pivot into opposing Water-types and can provide support via Rocky Helmet Chip, Chilling Water Attack drops, and poisons from Sludge Bomb or Baneful Bunker. Against opposing Rain Teams, it is quite useful due to its ability to stall Rain turns w/ Baneful Bunker and dealing massive chip damage to Floatzel via Rocky Helmet + Wave Crash Recoil + potential Baneful Bunker poison.

This team is fun, but has a few notable flaws, namely the lack of true Electric, Dark, and Ghost resist, which will make the Chi-Yu, Gholdengo, Chien-Pao, and Volt Switch Pokemon matchups quite hard. Chien-Pao can kinda be played around via smart Tera usage + Rocky Helmet chip from Corv and Pex, but if it is Boots SD, it is over. Opposing Chi-Yu are kinda kept in check by Garganacl, but it is very easy for it to overwhelm it w/ Dark Pulses, esp if it gets the 20% flinch. The MU against sun is an up hill battle because it will OHKO even Toxpex in sun.

252 SpA Choice Specs Beads of Ruin Tera Fire Chi-Yu Overheat vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex in Harsh Sunshine: 306-361 (100.6 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Great Tusk is no walk in the park either, but it can kinda be played around w/ Corv + Meowscarada.

sheesh i suck at this, 2 last place finishes
https://pokepast.es/ab48797c88718894
:scizor::ceruledge::cinderace::ting-lu::iron moth::iron valiant:
So, Scizor was the core of the team since bullet punch is very strong, then I added cinderace to the team afterwards, but it is valuable as hazard control.
Scarf Ceruledge because free switch-in against flamethrower from chi-yu then 1 shotting back is fun fire-type attacks is useful I guess
Ting-Lu is simply a bulky mon, usually as a lead to deal with anything that tries to set up or just set up hazards himself. I also use it as switch-in later in the game or as death fodder if it is too weakened
Iron Moth is simply a powerhouse and also deals with toxic spikes if needed, and can break through anything that isn't a wall and doesn't resist all 3 attacks. It can also use Agility on anything that outspeeds it but can't OHKO it
Iron Valiant also exists because it's another special attacker that is quite fast, and I refuse to use Dragapult or Chi-Yu on this team

Edit: This team is significantly worse now since Chi-Yu got banned, but it does everything else well

Last edited:
Alright, something slightly more standard this time:
https://pokepast.es/7aafe1299a2da6ea (edit: lmao put the wrong paste initially)
:garchomp: :dragonite: :great-tusk: :cinderace: :gholdengo: :azumarill:

+So ChainChomp is an interesting set I've always liked and it's got a good place in this meta as it lures and weakens things like Dondozo, Great Tusk and Corviknight which could otherwise hinder Dragonite, Tusk and Cinderace.
+E-Killer Dragonite is a threat that benefits a lot from ChainChomp weakening its counters, while also providing a nice ground immunity. Hurricane set is an option if you really want to ruin Tusk's day, but I don't think it's necessary here.
+Great Tusk is added as it is simply the best spinner around, and for a team like this the Bulk Up set works well to have another wincon.
+Cinderace makes for a great pivot that provides some additional speed and priority, with U-turn allowing Chomp and Dnite to come in more easily. HJK can hit Ting-Lu but can be swapped for Wisp to annoy its usual checks and make Ape more bearable, or for Gunk Shot to hit Hat. Sucker is honestly invaluable.
+Ghold provides solid resistances, plus spinblocking and some damage output on the special side of things. Scarf helps with speed control, while Trick+Recover mean that it can still annoy bulky cores quite a bit.
+Lastly, there's a bunch of weaknesses left like Chien-Pao, Chi-Yu, Quaquaval etc., so AV Azu is slotted to round things out.

Last edited:

Askov

Explode
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
:cinderace: :meowscarada: :slowking: :ting-lu: :corviknight: :garganacl:

The team has the same concept of the team that was spammed by team italia in the wcop where cinderace was allowed in ss.
With boots + spikes + future sight support + knock from meowscarada, your main offensive pokes can possibly outlast their checks because they just pivot around and chip their checks while keeping themselves healthy because of boots, slowking corvknight garganacl and ting-lu covers most of the metagame while providing support for the main offensive core via fsight + chilly reception, spikes + ruination, slow uturn and rocks + salt cure chip respectively.
Gunk Shot is used on Cinderace mostly because hatterene has potential to be annoying but you can use sucker punch or even wisp over it, low kick is used over hjk because it avoids mindgames in some scenarios like using it as garganacl protects or on a switch into pult/scarf gholdengo for example.
Defog can be used over one of the attacking moves on corviknight if you feel like you can deal with kingambit/loom/tusk if your opp has a team that can pressure you more with hazards than you can pressure them.

Last edited:

The team has the same concept of the team that was spammed by team italia in the wcop where cinderace was allowed in ss.
With boots + spikes + future sight support + knock from meowscarada, your main offensive pokes can possibly outlast their checks because they just pivot around and chip their checks while keeping themselves healthy because of boots, slowking corvknight garganacl and ting-lu covers most of the metagame while providing support for the main offensive core via fsight + chilly reception, spikes + ruination, slow uturn and rocks + salt cure chip respectively.
Gunk Shot is used on Cinderace mostly because hatterene has potential to be annoying but you can use sucker punch or even wisp over it, low kick is used over hjk because it avoids mindgames in some scenarios like using it as garganacl protects or on a switch into pult/scarf gholdengo for example.
I really like that team, but I think you may have accidentally left off Defog on Corv, because right now it has no hazard removal unless it's on purpose with all the HDB. Otherwise though, looks amazing.

Last edited:

Askov

Explode
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
I really like that team, but I think you may have accidentally left off Defog on Corv, because right now it has no hazard removal. Otherwise though, looks amazing.
it's defogless on purpose since most of the time you won't be bothered too much by opposing hazards and because i need both bpress for kingambit and bb for stuff like breloom/tusk but it can be used over one of the attacking moves if you feel like you're pressured more than your opp by (t)spikes stacking teams. Thank you for the feedback, i'll list defog as an option on the original post.

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
thanks for all the submissions this week, keep them coming! making this quick post to s/o my friend ashelyDeluxe for making us the new banner for this generation's edition of the teambuilding competition. she's awesome and made this free of charge! (give her the art badge pls)

cinderace (pokepast.es)
Iron hands and cinderace complement each other very well, with hands killing the checks/counters for BU cinderace to win lategame. Although hands can be prediction reliant, you really can't go that wrong with hands, and you can slap another item on it other than band, I've just been really liking band hands lately. EQ on hands hits skeledirge btw
Ape is there to take even more advantage of a lower hp dondozo and other worn down threats to win lategame once again. Scarf dengo is the speed control, and you have SR and spin on treads for hazard control. Dondozo is there to give the team a better defensive backbone.
BU > SD to keep hjk stab

Baloor

Tigers Management
PUPL Champion
Week 3 Building phase is now over

:sv/cinderace:

Here are the submissions

Team A by Magcargo
:Cinderace: :Meowscarada: :Gholdengo: :Corviknight: :Garganacl::Toxapex:
https://pokepast.es/01e5eeac81e7317b

Cinderace can lure many big threats in such as Dodonzo, Garganacl, Garchomp, and Great Tusk, and either cripple them with Will-O-Wisp or U-Turn out into an appropriate response. Meowscarada is a fun partner for Cinderance, as it is quite good at offensively pressuring some of Cinderaces checks like Dozo, Garganacl, and Rotom-W and benefits from the chip damage that Cinderace will be doing with burns and U-Turn. Against its counters like Corviknight, it can U-Turn out back into Cinderace to pressure them. Gholdengo is a very strong partner due to its good matchup against Garganacl and Toxapex, on top of its ability to to threaten big damage vs other troublesome Pokemon such as Glimmora and Hatterene. Bulk Up Corviknight is a wincon that can greatly benefit from the burns that Cinderace will be spreading to better 1v1 threats such as Dragonite & Great Tusk and can help pivot into some of Cinderace's common responses like Garchomp. Its ability to clear the field of hazards will be an immense benefit to the rest of the team which does not run Heavy Duty Boots. Garganacl is quite good at pressuring Waters and setting up rocks, which can help Meowscarada pick up some KOes against key targets w/ Flower Trick. It also grants a decent buffer against Chi-Yu which is quite important. Toxapex is a good pivot into opposing Water-types and can provide support via Rocky Helmet Chip, Chilling Water Attack drops, and poisons from Sludge Bomb or Baneful Bunker. Against opposing Rain Teams, it is quite useful due to its ability to stall Rain turns w/ Baneful Bunker and dealing massive chip damage to Floatzel via Rocky Helmet + Wave Crash Recoil + potential Baneful Bunker poison.

This team is fun, but has a few notable flaws, namely the lack of true Electric, Dark, and Ghost resist, which will make the Chi-Yu, Gholdengo, Chien-Pao, and Volt Switch Pokemon matchups quite hard. Chien-Pao can kinda be played around via smart Tera usage + Rocky Helmet chip from Corv and Pex, but if it is Boots SD, it is over. Opposing Chi-Yu are kinda kept in check by Garganacl, but it is very easy for it to overwhelm it w/ Dark Pulses, esp if it gets the 20% flinch. The MU against sun is an up hill battle because it will OHKO even Toxpex in sun.

252 SpA Choice Specs Beads of Ruin Tera Fire Chi-Yu Overheat vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex in Harsh Sunshine: 306-361 (100.6 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Great Tusk is no walk in the park either, but it can kinda be played around w/ Corv + Meowscarada.

Team B by lolgod3
sheesh i suck at this, 2 last place finishes
https://pokepast.es/ab48797c88718894
:scizor::ceruledge::cinderace::ting-lu::iron moth::iron valiant:
So, Scizor was the core of the team since bullet punch is very strong, then I added cinderace to the team afterwards, but it is valuable as hazard control.
Scarf Ceruledge because free switch-in against flamethrower from chi-yu then 1 shotting back is fun fire-type attacks is useful I guess
Ting-Lu is simply a bulky mon, usually as a lead to deal with anything that tries to set up or just set up hazards himself. I also use it as switch-in later in the game or as death fodder if it is too weakened
Iron Moth is simply a powerhouse and also deals with toxic spikes if needed, and can break through anything that isn't a wall and doesn't resist all 3 attacks. It can also use Agility on anything that outspeeds it but can't OHKO it
Iron Valiant also exists because it's another special attacker that is quite fast, and I refuse to use Dragapult or Chi-Yu on this team

Edit: This team is significantly worse now since Chi-Yu got banned, but it does everything else well

Team C by Vastus
Alright, something slightly more standard this time:
https://pokepast.es/7aafe1299a2da6ea (edit: lmao put the wrong paste initially)
:garchomp: :dragonite: :great-tusk: :cinderace: :gholdengo: :azumarill:

+So ChainChomp is an interesting set I've always liked and it's got a good place in this meta as it lures and weakens things like Dondozo, Great Tusk and Corviknight which could otherwise hinder Dragonite, Tusk and Cinderace.
+E-Killer Dragonite is a threat that benefits a lot from ChainChomp weakening its counters, while also providing a nice ground immunity. Hurricane set is an option if you really want to ruin Tusk's day, but I don't think it's necessary here.
+Great Tusk is added as it is simply the best spinner around, and for a team like this the Bulk Up set works well to have another wincon.
+Cinderace makes for a great pivot that provides some additional speed and priority, with U-turn allowing Chomp and Dnite to come in more easily. HJK can hit Ting-Lu but can be swapped for Wisp to annoy its usual checks and make Ape more bearable, or for Gunk Shot to hit Hat. Sucker is honestly invaluable.
+Ghold provides solid resistances, plus spinblocking and some damage output on the special side of things. Scarf helps with speed control, while Trick+Recover mean that it can still annoy bulky cores quite a bit.
+Lastly, there's a bunch of weaknesses left like Chien-Pao, Chi-Yu, Quaquaval etc., so AV Azu is slotted to round things out.

Team D by Askov

Defog can be used over one of the attacking moves on corviknight if you feel like you can deal with kingambit/loom/tusk if your opp has a team that can pressure you more with hazards than you can pressure them.

Team E by zaydapoketrainer
cinderace (pokepast.es)
Iron hands and cinderace complement each other very well, with hands killing the checks/counters for BU cinderace to win lategame. Although hands can be prediction reliant, you really can't go that wrong with hands, and you can slap another item on it other than band, I've just been really liking band hands lately. EQ on hands hits skeledirge btw
Ape is there to take even more advantage of a lower hp dondozo and other worn down threats to win lategame once again. Scarf dengo is the speed control, and you have SR and spin on treads for hazard control. Dondozo is there to give the team a better defensive backbone.
BU > SD to keep hjk stab

The voting system used is the Ranked Pairs format. To vote you have to order your options like this: C>B>A>D, like this A>B=C>D, or like this D>C, assuming there are 4 team options (A, B, C, and D). If you choose not to vote for all teams, the last team(s) will be assumed to be last and valued equally if more than one got left out. Please send any questions you might have to my DMs!

You have 4 days to vote!
:cinderace:Deadline is Saturday, January the 14th!:cinderace:
Reminder: you can't include your own team in the string of votes

D>A>B>E (C is my own)

I played a couple games with team D with some small changes and it felt very smooth, won all of them.

Baloor

Tigers Management
PUPL Champion
Week 3 is over! Congratulations to Magcargo for winning this round. Your team will be added to the archive shortly.
1673815620647.png
WEEK 4: Chien-Pao
:sv/chien-pao:
With Chi-Yu's ban, Chien-Pao has sorta filled the void as the tier's premier breaker. While being notably weaker, frailer, and having more widespread counterplay, Chien-Pao is incredibly threatening to many teams due to its offensive pressure, high attack and incredible offensive typing. Band Sets are the most popular right now as it can poke large holes in bulkier teams but HDB 4atks/SD can be incredibly annoying for offensive teams due the longevity boots offer against one of the best form of counterplay that offense has in hazards. There are so more niche sets such as sash and life orb but these are what you will primarily see. Pao is incredibly splashable on most teams so it shouldn't be hard to come up with some fun teams.

:chien-pao: You have until Friday, the 20th of January to post your teams :chien-pao:
this may be extended depending on the number of submissions, though the rounds are now shorter.

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/d5ed3d225be6dfa0 <-- a rough team designed for balance (EDIT: Replace throat chop with sucker punch, I didnt realise the mistake until now)
Chien-Pao is Chien-Pao
Skeledirge is an unaware wall that has quite a bit of offensive pressure, and also I refuse to use Dondozo
Scizor is very good and I am definitely not biased, but it can easily deal immense damage to anything in the meta that isn't a Dondozo with +6 defence or smt
Garganacl worked quite well in a few games in which I used it, so I used it here
Tusk is Tusk, no further explanation needed
Breloom I honestly slapped onto the team because idk what to put there

By the way did you know Chien-Pao gets recover?
Chien-Pao @ Leftovers
Ability: Sword of Ruin
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Crunch
- Swords Dance / Ruination
- Taunt
Do not use this btw, it is terrible and fails at everything, but it is funny imagining defensive Chien-Pao when I see recover in the teambuilder

Last edited:

Baloor

Tigers Management
PUPL Champion
due to lack of submissions im extending the building phase until Sunday

sorry for the inconvenience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)