Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

Tera Starstorm is so good I've just been running it, CM, RP, and Rapid Spin. If I need the Tera for something else to like stop a sweep or something Terapagos can at least spin, and if Terapagos is Stellar than Rapid Spin becomes 100 BP move that still raises speed. I know Rapid spin should probably be substitute but it probably won't matter this time tomorrow anyway.

Tera Starstorm is so good I've just been running it, CM, RP, and Rapid Spin. If I need the Tera for something else to like stop a sweep or something Terapagos can at least spin, and if Terapagos is Stellar than Rapid Spin becomes 100 BP move that still raises speed. I know Rapid spin should probably be substitute but it probably won't matter this time tomorrow anyway.
Did he know??? He doesnt know!!!!

Big Turtle is banned my friend. Pls read the thread

This is bull, Terapagos is absolutely not an issue. In every match I've played starring an opposing Terapagos, it has done absolutely nothing to contribute to the match.

thats because I often lose so hard it never gets to make an appearance, but...

Git gud scrubs.

Other than that, what other high caliber mons should we keep an eye out for? When things are this fresh I have trouble deciphering broken from new toy syndrome.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Impatient and disrespectful to the playerbase, taking away any chance of opposition or critique.

No longer a council, now its the OU Monarchy
Enough.

I have spent hundreds of hours this generation posting my thoughts publicly for transparency, creating and growing community surveys to make our process as publicly-driven as ever, and steering further-and-further from the shadow-council era of prior generations. If you have the gall to call me or my council out for this, then shame on you.

You can have a difference of opinion and that’s fine. Not everyone is always going to agree and I welcome debate, disagreement, and discussion. That’s the lifeblood of these forums. But I can tell you one thing: we are not the disrespectful ones. You absolutely are.

You are fortunate this thing even touched OU as there’s a great case for it just flat-out starting Ubers and many more people are upset over that than they are that it got banned.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Saw the QB, I have lost all faith in the council.
It might have been worth the ban? Yes, but maybe no. There was no hurry at all, this wasnt Regieleki, which god speed and perfect coverage.

Impatient and disrespectful to the playerbase, taking away any chance of opposition or critique.

for everyone at home: please actually play the metagame and maybe read the thread before making a complete fool out of yourself

That has happened. In Gen 6, people died on the hill saying that aegislash was not banworthy. "Uhhh, shadow ball actually doesn't hit that hard because it is only 80 bp."
Yeah, mostly unresisted stab move coming off 150 spA is apparently "not that powerful"
On the other hand we've had people argue the 10% chance of freezing from ice punch was enough of an argument in favor of banning a mon from ou

On the other hand we've had people argue the 10% chance of freezing from ice punch was enough of an argument in favor of banning a mon from ou
wait, really? the closest i've seen to that was people arguing against jirachi in older ous where freeze worked differently (this was back before they extended freeze clause to gen 3-4), and that's a 20% chance for a much more substantial reward, plus jirachi has other rng bullshit it does and is kinda just uncompetitive as a mon even though a lot of people aren't willing to say it out loud. i've never seen someone arguing that a 10% ice punch chance took something from fine to banworthy. but that's hilarious, if you can find a link or a screenshot of it or something feel free to dm me that

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
It might have been worth the ban? Yes, but maybe no. There was no hurry at all, this wasnt Regieleki, which god speed and perfect coverage.

"Unfortunate" doesn't begin to describe…..”

Listen. You could talk about how a Pokemon is broken or not, but bro chill tf out lmao, its a game for 6 year olds. No need to lash out on the council just cause they banned the funny world turt.

Mimikyu Stardust

Enjoyment
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
Ive never said Terapagos might not be banworthy, all im saying is QB it seems irrational giving its short time live.

Hell I dont even really like playing the turtle.

I'm not one to defend council usually, i've been very critical of them this generation, but if u actually see what the turtle can do, its pretty damn broken, its p much regieleki. i've gotten number 1 on ladder and i can safely say it absolutely does not have any counter, it can beat everything and anything just with Starstorm + Earthpower, its ability is broken and it can Mega-Evolve into Zygarde 100% at will. It can revenge kill any pokemon due to how its ability work (for gods sake it lives a +4 +2 +2 Stored Power from Polteageist under terrain and revenge kills) so theres no losing 1v1.

If you've played the metagame u know how much terapagos can do and how unreasonable it is and how many sets it can run. Although i do think terapagos is the ONLY broken pokemon in the tier (i'll make a longer post soon explaining why the tier is good as is)

Ladder peak if u are wondering (Sunyi dan sepi)

Last edited:
Ive never said Terapagos might not be banworthy, all im saying is QB it seems irrational giving its short time live.

Hell I dont even really like playing the turtle.

so this is gonna be the new copypasta, huh?
Ladder peak if u are wondering
i believe you, but i have no idea which one of those is you
it's the kobo reference, i should have known

Last edited:
wait, really? the closest i've seen to that was people arguing against jirachi in older ous where freeze worked differently (this was back before they extended freeze clause to gen 3-4), and that's a 20% chance for a much more substantial reward, plus jirachi has other rng bullshit it does and is kinda just uncompetitive as a mon even though a lot of people aren't willing to say it out loud. i've never seen someone arguing that a 10% ice punch chance took something from fine to banworthy. but that's hilarious, if you can find a link or a screenshot of it or something feel free to dm me that
Jynx in gen 2 was probably the main example, it absolutely destroyed the boom teams that were popular at the time and it could easily fish for freezes.

Edit: Wait, he said ice punch, must be something different. Point still stands.

Because it looks a little silly if the initial reaction is 'give it a second' and then the council comes back with a unanimous QB in under 24 hours. It ages great if counterplay evolves quick and it makes it to at least a suspect test. Ages real bad if the QB comes back incredibly quick.
22 hours later.....

My own personal victory lap nonwithstanding, now every one please spam Deoxys-S. Shit is busted beyond belief, get it out of here. Especially given that actually pretty damn good at both supporting (spikes is the current hotness, but it also gets taunt/knock off/screens) as well as revenge killer sets that just melts any offensive mon not at +1 right now, as well as a straight up sweeper set, and all sets are legitimately good.

And yes, teragalapala ban was justified, not sure what people are smoking to think it wasn't. It's not like it can't be retested down the road later anyways if we want a second opinion.

Getting away from the constant supply of shitposting in this thread, I'm curious what the current feeling is of Deoxys-Speed's offensive sets? At first, I was nervous about this thing being unbanned especially coming off the Gliscor meta and I was afraid it would just be more spike stacking bullshit. Turns out, the standard spikes Deo-S is still pretty good (I mean obviously it's made a career out of that same thing) but I'm more interested in how it can function as a breaker, especially partnered with Alolan Ninetales veil helping it survive on a switch.

EDIT: Damn I got sniped while typing this :(

CobsonYaoi

formerly Holesum420
My own personal victory lap nonwithstanding, now every one please spam Deoxys-S. Shit is busted beyond belief, get it out of here.
Deoxsys-S is good but it's it's not overpowered. Its support sets aren't overwhelming and its offensive sets are easy to deal with, plus you can attack it with multi-hit moves so you don't have to deal with the Focus Sash.

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
And yes, teragalapala ban was justified, not sure what people are smoking to think it wasn't. It's not like it can't be retested down the road later anyways if we want a second opinion.
Hell, im still of the opinion a review thread could work things out
Only two serious options come out of it: either the normal terapagos is unbanned, or finch can finally say "this is what you wanted. are you happy" to the continued ban, and get some rest for the first time this month

Getting away from the constant supply of shitposting in this thread, I'm curious what the current feeling is of Deoxys-Speed's offensive sets? At first, I was nervous about this thing being unbanned especially coming off the Gliscor meta and I was afraid it would just be more spike stacking bullshit. Turns out, the standard spikes Deo-S is still pretty good (I mean obviously it's made a career out of that same thing) but I'm more interested in how it can function as a breaker, especially partnered with Alolan Ninetales veil helping it survive on a switch.

EDIT: Damn I got sniped while typing this :(
I put some calcs in earlier. Tldr deoxys-s ohkos anything it carries coverage for that isn't investing significantly in HP (and still manages to OHKO a lot of stuff that does) while still outspeeding the entire unboosted tier. Which is problematic given that it has stupid amounts of coverage (bolt beam, psychic/fighting, not to mention mixed sets), and the 4mss is mitigated by psycho boost generally ripping gaping holes in most non-defensive mons, so even if you don't carry coverage, if it's at less than 75-80% hp it's still gonna roll over to an unresisted psycho boost. It's not going to clean up a whole team unconditionally on average, but you can absolutely select whatever you want it to kill and it will do it.

It's not a good wall breaker at all unless you get janky with the mixed sets (the nasty plat set isn't even great at it, even at plus 2 ting-lu, glowking, heatran all shrug it off. Generally you're not getting through ting-lu no way no how with deoxy-s), but it's a menace to anything else. If bulkier teams and stall come out on top the offensive set's stock goes way down because it's not killing anything no way no how, but the spike one's goes way up, so shrugs. If offensive/HO teams stay on top, then the offensives sets are a real problem because there are no real switch ins to it that don't risk eating one of it's 5 coverage moves (psycho boost/boltbeam/energy ball/focus miss or superpower on mixed sets/tera blast if you're a mad man), or just lose 70%+ to a psycho boost.

Last edited:
Deoxsys-S is good but it's it's not overpowered. Its support sets aren't overwhelming and its offensive sets are easy to deal with, plus you can attack it with multi-hit moves so you don't have to deal with the Focus Sash.
Not really, it is amazing at the very least getting one hazard up. Also, it's offensive sets are amazing, like only scarfers and booster energy pokemon can outspeed it. I feel like compared to terapagos, no way. But it can very much be a beast that can do multiple things extremely well. Also, which pokemon are you using which is choice scarfed that is faster than DoS while having a multi-hit move? Reminder that it has 50/90/90 defenses, which is enough for it to take most hits. It is guarenteed to get up a hazard.
Also, Imma create a scarf DoS to replicate Gen 4 Ubers.

Can this forum be locked for like.. the rest of the generation? xD
Honestly, i feel like this just isn't a good place to be.
ANYways, I'm logging off for this gen. Might chime in on surveys if I spot them in time, but yeah.
See ya in Gen 10 (if we ever get there)!