Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

CobsonYaoi

formerly Holesum420
Is Volcarona bad? like legit not faced it at all in 60-ish battles so i've got no clue
I've had some success with it on a Ninetales-Alola team

Volcarona @ Expert Belt
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain

With some Quiver Dances it can even OHKO Torkoal with Fiery Dance in the sun

this is the most fun i've ever had w a pokemon team, legit! triple dragon dinosaur beasts go brrr in sun is the utopian playstyle, plz don't ever ban gouging fire or raging bolt thanks. (this team insta loses to terapagos, but idc, i just wanna spam dinosun)

https://pokepast.es/4ae24cf0cb090039
May I make some suggestions?
Run Psychic Noise over Psychic. The -15 BP is more than made up for by blocking healing effects and bypassing Sub. Additionally consider having Close Combat on your team, for at while Terapagos is still legal so you don’t 100% auto lose to them.

I've had some success with it on an Ninetales-Alola team

Volcarona @ Expert Belt
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Grass
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain

With some Quiver Dances it can even OHKO a Torkoal in the sun
Oh, that seems to support reliant, i think it's good but i can't see volc being banned again even though i want it gone , there seems a chance of it dropping to uu, need to wait for the terapagos ban to say something conclusive tho

I had a game against a gouging fire and my archaludon was at 30%. They got 5 hits on scale shot and it didn't ko, while body press ko'd them back. Truly amazing.
This Mon could actually be good, espeically into Weavile and Meowscarada as well as anything else spamming scale shot.

Can't wait for Archaludon to be explored! Its got a prime scarfer tier of 85 speed too.

Also yeah Terapagos stellar, Kyurem, and Deo-S are probably the first bans. Yeah Kyurem is dummy broken, go try out scale shot under veil its stupid.

I tried out the ol' DPP noobtrap of Electivire + Gyra

It... does something. Got me to 1350 which is... something, I suppose. Scarfed Electivire outspeeds quite a lot of mons whilst having acceptable uninvested bulk, Gyra after a single DD also has enough power and speed to do work whilst retaining alright bulk, especially when you opt for intimidate instead of moxie

I tried out Cinccino too and I gotta say it's honestly a worse Moushold. Too frail and doesn't hit hard enough. Maybe she needs more time to cook though

Terapagos is probably the best mon right now. Stellar Terapagos reminds me quite a bit of 100% Zygarde. Wouldn't call for any bans yet, I would give it atleast a couple days to a wekk
Got to 1400s with some tweaks:

https://pokepast.es/598d052e98b451db

Hitmontop is whacky but it works well for me. Could maybe get a niche as a bulky rapid spinner with technician boosted mach punch

What is up with dd dtail gyarados?
eh

Dog level intelligence?

I like having phazing moves as an answer to set up sweepers when I don't have enough strong priority or an unaware mon. Gyarados' bulk is high enough to survive a hit to get a dtail off, which in this a metagame as fastpaced as gen 9 OU is really valuable for me

btw change Hitmontop's ice spinner to thief - I forgot about ghost types lol

Been trying out defensive Gouging Fire. It has a pretty solid typing and is insanely bulky, especially if it gets a burn off. I fully invested in SPDEF as you aren't as naturally bulky on the special side, plus burns do a good job of neutering most physical attackers. Heat Crash and Morning Sun are self-explanatory, serving as your main form of damage and recovery. Burning Bulwark is a super interesting move, as it's great to punish things like Tusk spins, but can be super predictable if your opponent knows you have it. Finally, Roar is great to stop setup sweeps.

Gouging Fire @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heat Crash
- Morning Sun
- Burning Bulwark
- Roar

I'd love to hear what you guys think of this set and what you run for a defensive version of this mon.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2012742720-qazkwkeial36hq2toxze7ndmdz7azawpw

Worthless 1400elo game but it showcases 2 interesting concepts :
984.png

Vs :gholdengo:, blocked rapid spin --> temper flare is an OHKO. Might render balloon dengo worthless.
(I encourage all dengo haters to try it out at least once, it's better than therapy)

Skeledirge.png

Alluring Voice is absolute bonkers on him. He shuts down fighting types, and Tera fairy completely turns the table around VS dragons types and especially dark types. Even Darkrai has to respect him.

Limited Distribution (Only listing new additions):

Knock Off:
Scald:
Toxic:
Erm akshually, Emboar has always had scald. In all seriousness we can finally play pokeymans. Ima try to cook with cinccino even if that will inevitably be a worse maushold. But I love her

The team that I first built when the DLC came around. Just got to 1300

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Stellar
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Tera Blast
- Substitute
- Glare

Once it gets those Leaf Storms rolling around, it can take games, although I tend to use this in the midgame. Stellar Tera could be good, but I haven't used it much, but hey it hits flyings and dragons in base without that infuriating 10% miss chance.

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Honey Gather
Tera Type: Bug
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Stun Spore
- Psychic

Yeah I'm using webs. Still pretty good, Serp can be very scary but it can be managed if your Bee has more than 70% HP Also if your webs get court changed you get to use Speed Boosted Serp, which is quite scary.

Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Steel
Timid Nature
- Make It Rain
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Blocks Spin, Shadow Ball is just strong as neutral, TBolt for waters and flyings help as well. Webs fixes the speed issue.

Iron Boulder @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Mighty Cleave
- Zen Headbutt
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Put this in on lategame and this just kills things. All I can say really. Watch out for Stellarpagos, you need an SD up or else it walls you.

Terapagos @ Leftovers
Ability: Tera Shift
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Tera Starstorm
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power

You know a funny thing you can do? Lead with Terapagos against Deo-S and just set up and Spin on it. This is your only form of hazard removal, and it breaks your Shell, but you're bulky enough to surive most hits anyways. Also this turns Raging Bolt into setup fodder, switch in on Thunderclap, start Calm Minding as it Thunderclaps again and CM wars until you get to +3 and sweep. Or you could just set up on other things, but Raging Bolt is the most consistent.

Darkrai @ Choice Specs
Ability: Bad Dreams
Tera Type: Dark
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Quite Strong, but Booster Energy mons outspeeds and it somehow still struggles to OHKO things, although at least in Terapagos' case nothing actually OHKOs it and you 2HKO with Focus Blast so that's nice. Not really banworthy imo.

N-tel

formerly SceptileXD
Some good news for the Apple dragon lovers. Assault vest with dragon tail is by far up there as a reliable general check to terapagos. It doesn’t even need the assault vest.. so HDB can work too.

it’s also a good defensive Tera receiver for switching into the special attackers. With a defensive Tera you don’t need to worry about the stray ice/fairy/dragon attacks that are so common right now.

Unlike slowking, who also has renegerator and dragon tail, you get to enjoy the novelty of a new pokemon!

reasons why terapagos might not be too ridiculous (yet to be determined of course):
  • Lack of reliable recovery means it usually only gets its first time in as an opportunity to set up
  • Using stellar Tera is a high commitment play, and it doesn’t lose your weakness to fighting
  • Requires 2 boosts, the rock polish and the calm mind, in order to truly do damage.
  • It currently looks overwhelming due to the HO meta making it look better than it is
  • Common anti-setup meta skeledirge is immune to its main move before Tera
I’ve noticed that Skeledirge has kinda been the mvp for me in this HO chaos rn. It completely sets up on terapagos, serperior, and volc when specially defensive.

Its new coverage is also great. I’ve been running Scorching Sands, Torch Song, Alluring Voice and Slack Off over wisp and ghost STAB since ground scald and fairy coverage just feels way better. The amount of times I’ve switched dirge into a threat and then they switch out to Darkrai only to be smacked by Alluring Voice is kinda hilarious.

im spamming stall, we shall punish HO with stall teaching them to act use good stuff

https://pokepast.es/c93b4da351412c4f

you can always ruin someones day with a great team of "what the hell is that"
i think the main problem with this team is that there's not a terapagos on it. that thing should be on every single team of every single archetype till stellar form is gone. even the base form is worth using, because you have wish support—that can help you get terapagos up to full hp so you can make use of tera shell more than once

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
The council is discussing Terapagos internally.

It’s worth noting that if action were to be taken on it quickly, it can likely be used to justify not starting it in OU for future releases/generations if it retains the same functionality as well (obviously hinges on legalities and mechanics carrying over though — that’s a discussion for another day).