Project SV OU - Lure That Threat Week 39 -

currently hosted by: matte and Veti
previously hosted by: SetsuSetsuna, BT89, fatBatman and Greentea570

lurethatthreat.png

beautiful art by SetsuSetsuna and Vrin

Welcome to SV OU's edition of Lure That Threat! In this project I will give a Pokemon to lure and your job as the participants is to find a way to lure that threat. What a lure actually is is self-explanatory: specific Pokemon that run an unexpected move or moveset in order to weaken or directly OHKO a specific threat and pave the way for another sweeper. This allows the other Pokemon on a team to have an easier time carrying out their roles to win a game. Having said that, a good deal of lures used by battlers aren't really that optimal, so this project forms a competition to see what creative and effective ideas people can come up with.
Process:
  • Every week, I will post a threat in the SV OU metagame alongside a set and a brief description of how it works.
  • The community will then have five days to nominate Pokemon (with sets) that they feel are effective lures to that specific threat. Each person may nominate one lure per week.
  • Remember to include a short description of the lure and how it works.
  • There will then be a two day voting period in which users can vote on the lure that they believe is the best.
  • Once the voting period has concluded, the lure with the highest number of votes will be added to the archive. A new set will then be posted.
Rules:
  • You must post a set and an explanation of why your chosen Pokemon is a good lure alongside your nomination. Damage calculations are appreciated but not required.
  • Please focus on only posting viable Pokemon as lures. As a general rule of thumb, only nominating Pokemon found in the OU Viability Rankings is a good idea.
  • You are welcome to reserve a lure, but please do so only if you plan on completing the submission.
  • Do NOT ask anyone for votes, offer votes, exchange votes, or try to manipulate the voting in any way. You should vote for the lure that is the most effective for each round. You are NOT allowed to vote for your own submission
  • Have fun :D!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hall of Fame
Week​
Pokemon​
Winning Lure​
Winner​
1​
:Choice Scarf::Gholdengo:
xyeu
2​
:Choice Specs::Chi-yu:
3​
Taunt :Annihilape:
4​
SpDef:Garganacl:
5​
:Choice Band::Chien-Pao:
6​
Defensive :Great Tusk:
7​
:Choice Specs::Iron Valiant:
8​
:Choice Band::Meowscarada:
9​
Wisp :Skeledirge:
10​
Tera Fire :Kingambit:

11​
Tera Ground :Volcarona:
12​
SD :baxcalibur:
Hafs
13​
:choice-specs: :walking-wake:
14​
SD:iron-valiant:
15​
:choice-specs::zoroark-hisui:
16​
Sub + NP :hydreigon:
17​
bpress :dondozo:
fly:roaring moon:
18​
pivot :cinderace:
19​
hazard :ting-lu:

WeekPokemonWinning LureWinner
29DD:manaphy:Trick + :black-sludge: :slowking-galar:kd458
30:life-orb: :darkrai:DD + X Scissor :darkrai:InfiniteT
31NP :deoxys-speed:Tera Dark :weezing-galar:NotDaProGamer
32SD :iron-boulder:Hydro Pump :slowking-galar:dunderguy
33Bulky SD :kingambit:Tera Blast :moltres-galar:InfiniteT
34Rain :Assault-Vest: +:archaludon:None...None...
35SD :weavile:Brick Break :gliscor:Conflux123
36DD :roaring-moon:ongoing!

Last edited:
First up in Lure That Threat we have... Choice Scarf Gholdengo!

:sv/gholdengo:
Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Gholdengo is one of the main threats in the metagame since Day 1. With it's incredible ability Good as Gold is has turned the hazards game on it's head being able to prevent Defog, while also being immune to status moves such as Trick, Thunder Wave, Spore and Taunt. Choice Scarf 3 attacks it's one of it's main sets thanks to it's good speed and stabs combination, complemented by Focus Blast and Trick. Tera Steel makes it's already powerful 120 base power stab Make It Rain even stronger, allowing it to OHKO pokemon such as Great Tusk and Dragapult trying to revenge it. However, not even Gholdengo is immune to being lured itself. What pokemon are able to turn the tables on this piece of gold?

Submissions end on Friday December 16th at 23:59 EST

Last edited:

blooclipse

formerly Bluecliqse
hi its me im here to fuck shit up hi
DEMONS ADVOCATE (Slowking) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Dark / Fighting / Fairy / Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

252 SpA Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 164-194 (41.6 - 49.2%)
252+ SpA Slowking Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gholdengo: 238-282 (75.5 - 89.5%)
Even if its modest it just drops after chip its fine
:)
unironically this set is somehow actually good, takes like 30 from specs tera fairy valiant, eats chi-yu for breakfast and is just a stupidly funny blanket check to special attackers

he looks so slay with that vest too

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Tera Blast

4 SpA Sylveon Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gholdengo: 272-320 (86.3 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
(I made the manual calc so I really hope i didnt messed up)

252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sylveon: 240-284 (60.9 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (this is with no tera change)
252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sylveon: 120-142 (30.4 - 36%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery (with tera change)

Not only baits Gholdengos but it also baits most steel types in, the all take good damage with Tera fire and after that, Sylveon can still put in some work as a cleric, not the most viable one but it has saved me some times

breloom.gif

Breloom @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Fighting/Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat/Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Bulldoze

gholdengo's typing and ability practically counter breloom's spore and stab moves, so it's tempting to switch gholdengo into breloom. however, adamant + choice band + technician bulldoze ohko's gholdengo. it may be important to scout for air balloon sets on gholdengo though, as those sets can switch into this. max hp gholdengo has a 60% chance to live, but you naturally outspeed, especially with the speed drop from bulldoze. the fire tera type is there for defensive capabilities.

fire tera type covers breloom's fairy, fire, and ice weaknesses, but more importantly, it allows breloom to avoid getting ohko'd from modest gholdengo's make it rain.

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Bulldoze vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 338-398 (107.3 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat / U-Turn
- Thief

Cute tech to hit Gholdengo since it walls Close Combat + stabs. After a Swords Dance Thief OHKOs, and Thief into Bullet Punch has a chance to KO after Stealth Rock. Since Gholdengo doesn't have recovery on this set, its also pretty likely that it will take some chip. Thief also hits some Pokemon like Skeledirge and Iron Moth if you tera type into Fire or Water.

It seems like a good lure is a hidden move, not an item. Let's try this out then.

Glimmora @ Life Orb
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Power Gem
- Rock Polish

252+ SpA Life Orb Glimmora Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gholdengo: 304-359 (96.5 - 113.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Scarf is the one on hazard stack, right? Usually Gholdengo will try and counter a mortal spin from Glimmora and murder things left and right. Rock Polish up, maybe Tera into ground, start cleaning(?)

Hear me out here... Brambleghast typically runs a set taking advantage of it's unique movepool, with some bulk to facilitate Strength Sap, Spikes, and Rapid Spin on one set. Sure, it's too frail to pull it off, but when you see it in teambuilder you can assume it's gonna try to spin. Hence, I present:
THE BRAMBLE PIECE (Brambleghast) @ Choice Band
Ability: Wind Rider/Inflitrator
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Shadow Sneak
- Tera Blast/Phantom Force
- Rapid Spin
Gholdengo tries to block your spin, it will not be blocking your spin today.
252+ Atk Choice Band Brambleghast Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 206-246 (65.3 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
all hail.jpg

Also getting ~30% chip on Gholdengo is not that difficult to do if paired with an actual spiker. Unfortunately Brambleghast probably doesn't do much, and CB really only has 2 moves to click ever (Shadow Sneak and Power Whip). It hits surprisingly hard, but there's little use for it (it's also full stopped by corv, sadly).

Grimmsnarl @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Parting Shot
- Taunt

252+ Atk Black Glasses Grimmsnarl Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 300-354 (95.2 - 112.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Every Grimmsnarl in the tier right now is running Dual Screens, Parting Shot, and Spirit Break/Taunt. Gholdengo can typically come in on Grimmsnarl and stall its turns of screens by blocking Parting Shot. This set would either punish Gholdengo for clicking Make it Rain, or force it to lose its scarf.

Black Glasses is the item of choice as it allows for the needed damage to be done to Gholdengo without compromising the illusion of a standard set (as a Life Orb or Leftovers would) and viability (like a Choice Band would). Compromising the illusion means Gholdengo just switches out = sad + useless Grimmsnarl. If you're confident in your hazard stacking and playing around not letting the opponent remove, then Black Glasses is barely necessary and could be replaced. I think it's the best item for a set like this, however. Play Rough is on there for guys like Ting-Lu, but honestly, if you want to use a screen that could also work.

Due to the option Gholdengo has to simply Trick, this type of Grimmsnarl set would be a better fit on a more offensive team that doesn't inherently make Gholdengo want to lose its scarf by Tricking and crippling an incoming wall/set-up sweeper. Because of this, I've given Grimmsnarl prankster Taunt and Tera Ghost to complement the hazard stacking nature a team with no-screens Grimmsnarl would need to actually work in higher ELO. Something like Iron Valiant would be a great pair for a set like this.

Last edited:
:amoonguss:
Amoonguss @ Life Orb
Level: 100
Sassy Nature
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Atk / 68 SpD
- Spore
- Stomping Tantrum
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
hehehehaw
188 Atk Life Orb Amoonguss Stomping Tantrum vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 315-372 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO
spore into tantrum for 150 bp W
252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 248 HP / 68+ SpD Amoonguss: 202-238 (46.8 - 55.2%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO
u cant 2hko bc spA drop, and u have regen to heal damage

IExistYouDont was begging for credit so n o

Last edited:
Thank you to those who participated in Week 1. For the voting phase everyone can vote for up to 2 lures.

Fire Blast :Assault Vest::Slowking: by Bluecliqse
Tera Fire Tera Blast :Sylveon: by 1LDK
Bulldoze :Choice Band::Breloom: by xyeu
Thief :Scizor: by matthewc20090
Sucker Punch :Black Glasses::Grimmsnarl: by Techno Strike
Stomping Tantrum :Life Orb::Amoonguss: by zaydapoketrainer
I decided to not accept Glimmoras and Brambleghast submissions mainly because they are not exactly lures. The former runs Earth Power regularly thus Gholdengo doesn't really get lured unless they are fine with sacking it; the set presented is also faster than Scarf Gholdengo and gets OHKOd by Make It Rain. Brambleghast is not only not listed in the VR, but it also hits Gholdengo super effectively thus you don't really lure it.

Voting ends on Monday December 20th at 23:59 EST

Last edited:
I think :scizor: and :breloom: are the most generally useful out of these. They're known sets, but they're more consistent than the others.
Like, no way in hell would I ever see myself using LO Amogus. I should've submitted Tera Fire Hat but oh well.

I think :scizor: and :breloom: are the most generally useful out of these. They're known sets, but they're more consistent than the others.
Like, no way in hell would I ever see myself using LO Amogus. I should've submitted Tera Fire Hat but oh well.
I would, easy gholdengo kill :)
Breloom sucks, thief scizor sounds mid bc u need ur slots, AV fire blast slowking is dope but u dont ohko which is kinda mid
Tera fire shit works with everything
sucker punch works with grimm
but, after all
there's a reason i picked among us, it was the best option i saw
so yes, im self voting, breloom winning damages my mental health so :amoonguss: and :grimmsnarl:
have fun when gholdengo reveals air balloon BRELOOM. the zaydapoketrainer vs breloom beef continues

Last edited:
I would, easy gholdengo kill :)
Breloom sucks, thief scizor sounds mid bc u need ur slots, AV fire blast slowking is dope but u dont ohko which is kinda mid
Tera fire shit works with everything
sucker punch works with grimm
but, after all
there's a reason i picked among us, it was the best option i saw
so yes, im self voting, breloom winning damages my mental health so :amoonguss: and :grimmsnarl:
have fun when gholdengo reveals air balloon BRELOOM. the zaydapoketrainer vs breloom beef continues
You can't self vote. Please submit your other choice else I will just count Grimm.

Congrats to xyeu and Breloom for winning Week 1. The set is now added in the Hall of Fame.

For Week 2 of Lure that Threat we have Choice Specs Chi-Yu

:SV/Chi-Yu:
Chi-Yu @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beads of Ruin
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Fire Blast / Psychic
- Dark Pulse
- Overheat

Chi-Yu has been one of the premier breakers from Day 1. It's ability Beads of Ruin lowers the opponent's SpDef by 25%. This combined with base 135 SpAtk, Choice Specs and even Tera Fire makes Chi-Yu a nightmare to deal with defensively. More often than not it will be clicking one of it's stab moves, which makes luring it a possible task. Who are the pokemon that can do so?

Submissions end of Saturday December 24th at 23:59 EST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 15)